• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Overdoziz

Banned
does camo still act as a radar jammer as well? cause that was always my biggest issue with it personally.
But when you remove the radar jammer won't that only make it easier to for people using camo to hide? I honestly don't think it can work with or without the radar jammer. Really wish they would just drop it as an AA and just make it a power-up you can get via personal ordnance (Since power-ups placed on maps is a ship that has sailed).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What do they really have to clarify about the CTF news? Unless not being able do drop the flag and having auto pick up are glitches, I think most of the stuff from the video is pretty clear.

the auto pick up drives me nuts. why would that need to be implemented? was picking up a flag in all the other halo games to difficult a task (hold action button - just like using vehicles or swapping weapons...)? now though, there will definitely be instances where you'll be attacking the flag and trying to clear out the enemies before attempting to run it back and you'll accidentally pick it up (unable to drop it) and die at the mercy of your shitty sidearm.

again, why?

TheOddOne

What do they really have to clarify about the CTF news? Unless not being able do drop the flag and having auto pick up are glitches, I think most of the stuff from the video is pretty clear.
I hate the fact that they push their own revamped modes such as Infinity Slayer (Ordnance drop heavy Team Slayer), Regicide (King of the Hill variant) and now CTF, while never saying that the classic modes will return. Just say that outright and nobody would even bat an eyelash at these new modes, some would say that it looks like a fun distraction.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A panel that was advertised as the place where they discuss all these changes? Can't wait. Need answers yesterday.

I hope the people boo them for this stupidity - I would do it if I were at PAX

Halo CTF was the absolute one thing that halo had that was far and above any competition

I meant clarify their gameplay design choices. Personally I am going to wait until I play it and see how it plays out over time before I start saying anything though. I remember when I thought bloom was going to be an awesome feature and I was horrible wrong so while I am not sure about some of these things they added they might actually end up being fun or good.

Ah okay, that's fair enough. I too would like to hear some clarifications on the design philosophy.

I meant clarify their gameplay design choices. Personally I am going to wait until I play it and see how it plays out over time before I start saying anything though. I remember when I thought bloom was going to be an awesome feature and I was horrible wrong so while I am not sure about some of these things they added they might actually end up being fun or good.
You don't need to play the game to know auto flag pickup and not being able to drop the flag are horrible ideas.

What do they really have to clarify about the CTF news?
"It was only this way for this build, we've since changed it."

"It's only this way in certain playlists. There is Classic CTF if you want it."

If nothing else, "All of this configurable and changeable in custom games."

And, at the very least, "It is this way because we felt/thought/believed that... [insert explanation of changes to established design]."

Blueblur1

it looks to burn through its charge quicker at least.

does camo still act as a radar jammer as well? cause that was always my biggest issue with it personally.

In Naked Eli's video, it does not fill the motion sensor with more dots when he uses it. So maybe it doesn't anymore.

http://youtu.be/n1rdfWjD5zU?hd=1&t=12m48s

Edit: Oops, I'm wrong. As L1nett posted above, blue dots appear on the motion sensor when Active Camo is activated.

How long has the details of tonight's panel been available? Seems like we've known for quite a long time that this is where they announce and discuss the new stuff...

I mean grr, 343 fill me with rage because they won't tell me why they changed halo!

Haha, I'm no good at being angry I guess.

Hypothetically, say we don't get the answers to our questions, what happens then? Do we remain unknowing? Do we still buy the game and not enjoy it at all?

op_ivy

In the Eli video a bunch of blue dots appear around the player (on the radar) when he uses it.

But I haven't heard whether the people's radar around gets jammed too. Unless we know otherwise. I guess it does.

In Naked Eli's video, it does not fill the motion sensor with more dots when he uses it. So maybe it doesn't anymore.

http://youtu.be/n1rdfWjD5zU?hd=1&t=12m48s

Edit: Oops, I'm wrong. As L1nett posted above, blue dots appear on the motion sensor when Active Camo is activated.

didnt notice the blue dots either, i'll rewatch the video. however, i'd love to have camo screw up the users radar and somehow be indicated on others (but not jam them!).

But when you remove the radar jammer won't that only make it easier to for people using camo to hide? I honestly don't think it can work with or without the radar jammer. Really wish they would just drop it as an AA and just make it a power-up you can get via personal ordnance (Since power-ups placed on maps is a ship that has sailed).

you are right in that there would have to be some sort of effect on others radars to indicate someone is using camo (such as static?), but jamming them isnt the answer. its effectively 2 AAs in one. i fucking hate in reach playing against a decent team with even a single camo user. not because of the camo, but because that one guy is able to effectively disable the radar for my entire team. its utter bullshit and probably my most rage inducing thing from reach.

i'd also be for removing it as an AA and making it a ordnance power-up.

wwm0nkey

You don't need to play the game to know auto flag pickup and not being able to drop the flag are horrible ideas.

Who can say though really? Might be fun but it might also bring in a new wave of issues, I am going to wait to be the judge.

Also have we gotten word yet if we are going to get a classic CTF mode yet?

neoism

This is adorable.

yeah great post Noky.... reminds me when I first showed halo 1 to my 5 year old cousin....

he asked me where is the look button
.... we played blood gulch for years... then he got halo 2 the summer after it released, and he's been better than me ever since... guy can own my face in reach too lol

JHall

5Qlpj.gif

OHK!!!!???

Flipyap

Come now Shake. we've been saying this for months.
The answer we've gotten
A) Resources
B) Marketing plan

It's mind boggling on a certain level.
There's also
C) We've already explained this in a random thread moving 88 pages per hour/in a twitter reply/in smoke signals/shouted it at a goat. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother. :(

How come I can drop the Oddball but not the flag? Is it a magic Oddball? Is that why it can be thrown? Is it picked up automagically, too? What about the bomb, can we throw that? Hey, can we even drop the bomb? Is the bomb picked up automagically? Can I shoot my magic pistol with the bomb? Does the bomb put a marker on me? How is the bomb armed? Disarmed?

Wait, is there even Assault in this game?

What about a beta? Will there be one of those?

op_ivy

Why is autoflag pickup a thing?

exactly! i can almost understand an argument for removing dropping it (almost), but auto-pickup i cant. no benefits, only negatives. this is my first duh (downer) moment of halo 4.

JHall

exactly! i can almost understand an argument for removing dropping it (almost), but auto-pickup i cant. no benefits, only negatives. this is my first duh (downer) moment of halo 4.

This and not being knocked out of scope while being shot are really starting to rustle my jimmies.

Who can say though really? Might be fun but it might also bring in a new wave of issues, I am going to wait to be the judge.

Also have we gotten word yet if we are going to get a classic CTF mode yet?
Halo CE had auto flag pickup and it was annoying as hell.

The gameplay we've seen shows us how bad not being able to drop the flag is.

neoism

the balance in this come december 25-on will be hilarious..... I mean damn so much shit goin on none of those kids will know what the fuck is going on....

This and not being knocked out of scope while being shot are really starting to rustle my jimmies.
I thought you needed a perk to do avoid being knocked out of scope? Or is that just for sniper rifles? Are sniper rifle scopes different to regular scopes, and so need a perk to work? Because of nanomachines?

m23

So what was shown off at that Gamestop expo? I think somebody in here said they knew but didn't tell us.

Campaign stuff from panel today possibly?

wwm0nkey

I think they were trying to get more people involved in objective modes. I mean I have had those games were the person simply doesn't understand "PICK UP THE FLAG!". This way they are kind of forced to do the objectives, this might also explain why they have the faster movement speed and the pistol to make those people who didn't go for it in previous games feel a lot less helpless now.

I guess this will also be in the casual only playlist too as it would help more new comers learn how to go for objectives.

Exactly, I don't have a big problem with the inability to drop the flag, but auto-pickup by default is stupid as all hell.

JHall

I thought you needed a perk to do avoid being knocked out of scope? Or is that just for sniper rifles? Are sniper rifle scopes different to regular scopes, and so need a perk to work? Because of nanomachines?

All the game plays I've seen shows you don't get knocked out of scope.

and

What I would give to have you asking questions at the PAX panel.

I hope the people boo them for this stupidity - I would do it if I were at PAX

Halo CTF was the absolute one thing that halo had that was far and above any competition

Seriously Does no One remember them Specifically saying a New gametype was going to be announced and playable at Pax. This is just a New variant of CTF not just CTF. I remember them talking about this long ago and you all seem surprised? Really? Wow You guys sure do know how to Overreact.

I dont like all the medals, scrolling through the medal list used to be like a quick flash back of all the awesome moments that happened, now its just a long spammy list. 'generic kill'? lol.

I wouldn't say the previous medal list really showed awesome moments that happened in game, they were/are quite bland actually.

Don't mind the medal screen at all to be honest, or the frequency of it. It'll be in another part of the menu, it will show (what looks like) a very detailed reflection of the game you just had.

Anyway, at least this can be a topic of discussion for us later tonight? Before we start (inevitably) insulting each others mothers, ha! :p

Why is autoflag pickup a thing?

This I do not like, I imagine a situation where you're babysitting the flag zone with power weapons, hoping that your team mate will pick up the flag, because you don't want to lose the weapons or the use of the weapons at hand.

op_ivy

I think they were trying to get more people involved in objective modes. I mean I have had those games were the person simply doesn't understand "PICK UP THE FLAG!". This way they are kind of forced to do the objectives, this might also explain why they have the faster movement speed and the pistol to make those people who didn't go for it in previous games feel a lot less helpless now.

I guess this will also be in the casual only playlist too as it would help more new comers learn how to go for objectives.

and thats why i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to all the other ctf changes - except auto pick up. this is halo. people know how to pick up swap weapons. how to get into vehicles. they should know how to pick up a flag in the same manor. if they dont, dont play halo. dont change things for shitbags like that! lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Halo 4 IS the beta

for Halo 5

If halo 5 is more like halo 4 than halo 2, I give up on halo multiplayer

If you don't listen to your fan base, then go fuck yourself

I'm tired of having to fight with developers over common sense issues

Blizzard: "oh let's make diablo 3 like WoW"
Valve: "oh let's make Counter-Strike GO shitty!"
343: "oh let's make Halo 4 like Call of Duty, but worse!!!!"

It's so fucking exhausting having to fight for a proper fucking sequel (or proper generational iteration) people are still waiting for a proper halo 2 multiplayer uh variant/sequel but bungie and 343 at one point decided to vomit mediocrity

I bought halo to be halo, I bought diablo to be diablo and counter-strike to be counter-strike, max payne to be max payne...

Why, come this fall, am I not going to have a single game the fans actually wanted?

This has been the most disappointing gaming year that I can remember
Seriously Does no One remember them Specifically saying a New gametype was going to be announced and playable at Pax. This is just a New variant of CTF not just CTF. I remember them talking about this long ago and you all seem surprised? Really? Wow You guys sure do know how to Overreact.

What they said was "we are showing off a game type that has been announced, but not shown off yet, we hope"

That game type specifically being Capture The Flag. Not a new variant. That was CTF in their eyes

Overdoziz

Banned
It will be the main CTF gametype. Calling it.
It wouldn't make much sense showing it off at Pax and making a fairly big deal of it if it was just one of many CFT variants. It would be like Bungie showing off Speedflag at an event.

wwm0nkey

and thats why i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to all the other ctf changes - except auto pick up. this is halo. people know how to pick up swap weapons. how to get into vehicles. they should know how to pick up a flag in the same manor. if they dont, dont play halo. dont change things for shitbags like that! lol

Its not so much that they don't know how its just that some people treat objective games like slayer, what I think they are trying to do is just get people in the casual playlists to start thinking more about the objective than the killing. They also seem to be doing this by giving you 100XP for a flag capture so even though you might be forced there is still a pretty big incentive to go score that flag.

TheOddOne

It wouldn't make much sense showing it off at Pax and making a fairly big deal of it if it was just one of many CFT variants. It would be like Bungie showing off Speedflag at an event.
The showed off Infinity Slayer too though, but it won't be a replacement from Team Slayer (with normal weapons placements). So, my hope this new CTF isn't the mainline one.

op_ivy

Its not so much that they don't know how its just that some people treat objective games like slayer, what I think they are trying to do is just get people in the casual playlists to start thinking more about the objective than the killing. They also seem to be doing this by giving you 100XP for a flag capture so even though you might be forced there is still a pretty big incentive to go score that flag.

again, i agree. i even think that most of the changes are for the good (huge exp and pistol use especially), but i dont see how auto pickup gets people to treat the flag differently. either they are going to want to grab it or not.

Of Course there making it public its NEW. This Doesn't mean that its going to be turned into the only playable CTF. Its a Variant Just like super slayer(reach), Classic Slayer(basic halo), and the NEW Infinity slayer(new halo) are variants of slayer. Doesn't mean you can only play Infinity and that's it. Now that wouldn't make since. And they already kinda mentioned CTF like Months ago and the fact that everyone is Overreacting so much is hilarious.

wwm0nkey

again, i agree, and even think that most of the changes are for the good (huge exp and pistol use especially), but i dont see how auto pickup gets people to treat the flag differently. either they are going to want to grab it or not.

Most people don't though because they couldn't give a shit about the actual game and just want to pick up the kills. They are trying to get rid of that mindset, granted they are doing this with force but it should still help somewhat.

I mean yeah it will be annoying if you are in the middle of a fight and all the sudden "CARRYING FLAG" pops up.

JHall

Your parents firstborn is a beta?

Yes, except they went the Halo 4 route. The first born was better than me at most things and by most I mean everything.

She is like Halo CE, perfect in every way. I'm like Halo 3, I have a lot of problems but people seem to forget about them because I'm likable.

Top Bottom