• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

we need this
Epic_stabbing.gif

What's so binary about it? Promised 1 shot kill?

Kill or kill not; there is no try.

edit; so it appears to be a one shot (anywhere) kill weapon with no scoped reticle...

I don't understand...

Can someone at 343, anyone, explain some of these design decisions? In a podcast, a blog, a forum post, something? Why are your hardcore fans learning about things that make them nervous and uncomfortable through off-screen footage shot by other confused fans?

My 6 year old nephew Ryan has been staying with us for most of the summer. One day a week we spend the entire afternoon/evening playing through 3 or 4 Halo Campaign missions co-op on Normal. He is WAY better at gaming than a 6 year old should be (completed one of the Zelda games on Wii and wins almost every race on Mario Kart). We have played all the Halo campaigns other than ODST (saving it for next year when he will be better able to appreciate it).

With today being his last day here until late December i thought i would save the best for last so we played Halo 3's The Ark and The Covenant. This conversation happened today in my living room.

Ryan: Whoa, the wind from the ship landing (Forward Unto Dawn) blew me all the way back here.

Uncle Noky: Well, you better come back. They brought us presents.

Ryan, driving back to the FUD in his Brute Chopper: TANKS!!! Can I drive one?

Uncle Noky: You take this one. It has a Marine carrying a FRG. You take the lead.

Ryan, driving the tank with ear to ear grin: Is that an enemy Ghost? (we had an ally driving one earlier)

Uncle Noky: Shoot everything you see in front of you.

Halo 3: Tank beats Ghost!

Ryan, copying the game: Tank beats Ghost!

Ryan after killing a Hunter: Tank beats Hunter!

Halo 3, seconds later: Tank beats Hunter!

Ryan looks at me, confused. I too am astounded.

Uncle Noky: That was weird. Go through the cave. Shoot the Brute Phantom.

Ryan: Tank beats Everything!

Halo 3, seconds later: Tank beats Everything! Oh, man I could do this all day.

Ryan, looking at me bewildered: How does the game know what i am saying?

Also,
inheritor.png

This is adorable.

the one thing that annoys me is how orange the forerunner weapons are. i always pictured them to be silver with blue. i also expected them to be more elegant. oh well

yes I agree

bungie artists>>>>>343 artists

Pretty much how I've felt this whole time. The graphics guys at 343 are doing an amazing job, but the artists designing these things are doing god awful. Everything that has gotten a redesign looks worse. The only exceptions are the things that got VERY small redesigns, like the AR.

Pretty much how I've felt this whole time. The graphics guys at 343 are doing an amazing job, but the artists designing these things are doing god awful. Everything that has gotten a redesign looks worse. The only exceptions are the things that got VERY small redesigns, like the AR.
I feel the opposite. I am quite pleased with how everything looks, especially after reach

Tawpgun

Wait they have Sleight of Hand AND a perk that both allows you to take more damage from grenades/explosives and DO more damage with them?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I fucking loved it in Reach when I felt bullshitted because it felt like my nades did nothing and enemies nades destroyed me. I blamed it on lag or just my mind playing tricks.

BUT NOW YOU CAN PUT BULLSHIT IN YOUR LOADOUT. You nade a guy, AND HE ISNT AS FUCKED UP AS HE SHOULD BE.

NaCl

Holiday

Banned
I think I figured out why there's no flag dropping or juggling. If there were, we'd have this:

+5 FLAG TAKEN
+5 FLAG DROPPED
+5 FLAG TAKEN
+5 FLAG DROPPED

It's probably better this way.

u4iX

I think I figured out why there's no flag dropping or juggling. If there were, we'd have this:

+5 FLAG TAKEN
+5 FLAG DROPPED
+5 FLAG TAKEN
+5 FLAG DROPPED

It's probably better this way.

You just give the credits once per player, so if the same player drops then picks up the flag, no new points are given.

It's probably not better this way either.

It's different, but I'm not convinced it's better.

all i want is clarification and explanation 343, why is that so hard?

There's a panel in what, 10 hours? I'm sure they'll answer some questions.

Is there going to be a beta?

--
If you can't drop the flag you should be able to give the flag to an ally. (Hold <Action-Reload-Button> to pass flag)

I don't see the big deal with the inability to drop the flag, they are giving us all the positive and negative aspects of flag juggling without having to juggle or hear "FLAG DROPPED""FLAG TAKEN". We get to keep our movement speed and get to defend ourselves but also have a marker telling the enemy where we are, just like when juggling. However if there is no option to do classic CTF I will be royally pissed.

S1kkZ

There's a panel in what, 10 hours? I'm sure they'll answer some questions.

Is there going to be a beta?

about the panel: will there be some sort of live stream (i know 343 is not doing one, but i remember a gaffer doing a stream 3 years ago)? dont know if its worth staying up for it (without any audi/video).

I don't see the big deal with the inability to drop the flag, they are giving us all the positive and negative aspects of flag juggling without having to juggle or hear "FLAG DROPPED""FLAG TAKEN". We get to keep our movement speed and get to defend ourselves but also have a marker telling the enemy where we are, just like when juggling. However if there is no option to do classic CTF I will be royally pissed.

i dont know, i just enjoyed flag throwing. made flag running interesting. dont think i will be picking up the flag much anymore

I dont like all the medals, scrolling through the medal list used to be like a quick flash back of all the awesome moments that happened, now its just a long spammy list. 'generic kill'? lol.

Can't wait for the first time someone comes raging into the thread in November because they stumbled over the undroppable magneto-flag by accident and died as a result.

Holiday

Banned
You just give the credits once per player, so if the same player drops then picks up the flag, no new points are given.

It's probably not better this way either.

It's different, but I'm not convinced it's better.

LOL. I wasn't being serious braj.

I don't understand...

Can someone at 343, anyone, explain some of these design decisions? In a podcast, a blog, a forum post, something? Why are your hardcore fans learning about things that make them nervous and uncomfortable through off-screen footage shot by other confused fans?
Come now Shake. we've been saying this for months.
The answer we've gotten
A) Resources
B) Marketing plan

It's mind boggling on a certain level.

kylej

Banned
I don't understand...

Who knows, but hey did you know the Limited Edition Halo Exclusive Vanguard Personal Gaming Environment is coming soon? Come check out the latest Weekly Update for some hot exclusive info on the device you and your friends will kill to have this Fall!

Blueblur1

Those Forerunner rifles look too similar. They should have redesigned them. I'm not going to know which is which at a distance. Especially if they all shoot orange beams. That's bad design, IMO.

It's cute that they want grey/silver and orange to be parts of the new Forerunner motif but its also really stupid.

Come now Shake. we've been saying this for months.
The answer we've gotten
A) Resources
B) Marketing plan

It's mind boggling on a certain level.

It's boggled my mind that the biggest game developer under Microsoft doesn't even have the resources to wipe their own asses.

Those Forerunner rifles look too similar. They should have redesigned them. I'm not going to know which is which at a distance. Especially if they all shoot orange beams. That's bad design, IMO.

It's cute that they want grey/silver and orange to be parts of the new Forerunner motif but its also really stupid.

You won't have a problem telling the Binary Rifle apart from the Light Rifle from a distance, the Binary Rifle is massive.

This meaning classic CTF won't be in?
I have no idea! Neither does anyone else, though, because 343 rarely show and never tell.

Who knows, but hey did you know the Limited Edition Halo Exclusive Vanguard Personal Gaming Environment is coming soon? Come check out the latest Weekly Update for some hot exclusive info on the device you and your friends will kill to have this Fall!
Came for this hot, hot info, stayed for the hilarious caption contest.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just had a look at the Eli vid, game is looking great, apart from, the camo acting the same, and banshee seeming to be similar to the reach version...fuck.

it looks to burn through its charge quicker at least.

does camo still act as a radar jammer as well? cause that was always my biggest issue with it personally.

Finally read through the thread......and holy fuck guys its been a day, clarification on these things will come soon.

What do they really have to clarify about the CTF news? Unless not being able do drop the flag and having auto pick up are glitches, I think most of the stuff from the video is pretty clear.

Killer

Banned
I don't understand...

What do you really want them to say? " we copied cod and slapped 4 on the title"?

wwm0nkey

What do they really have to clarify about the CTF news? Unless not being able do drop the flag and having auto pick up are glitches, I think most of the stuff from the video is pretty clear.

I meant clarify their gameplay design choices. Personally I am going to wait until I play it and see how it plays out over time before I start saying anything though. I remember when I thought bloom was going to be an awesome feature and I was horrible wrong so while I am not sure about some of these things they added they might actually end up being fun or good.

L1NETT

does camo still act as a radar jammer as well? cause that was always my biggest issue with it personally.

In the Eli video a bunch of blue dots appear around the player (on the radar) when he uses it.

But I haven't heard whether the people's radar around gets jammed too. Unless we know otherwise. I guess it does.

Edit: At this rate, we might need a MP Vidoc Movie to explain most of these strange choices.

Top Bottom