• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Killer

Banned
If halo 5 is more like halo 4 than halo 2, I give up on halo multiplayer

If you don't listen to your fan base, then go fuck yourself

I'm tired of having to fight with developers over common sense issues

Blizzard: "oh let's make diablo 3 like WoW"
Valve: "oh let's make Counter-Strike GO shitty!"
343: "oh let's make Halo 4 like Call of Duty, but worse!!!!"

It's so fucking exhausting having to fight for a proper fucking sequel (or proper generational iteration) people are still waiting for a proper halo 2 multiplayer uh variant/sequel but bungie and 343 at one point decided to vomit mediocrity

I bought halo to be halo, I bought diablo to be diablo and counter-strike to be counter-strike, max payne to be max payne...

Why, come this fall, am I not going to have a single game the fans actually wanted?

This has been the most disappointing gaming year that I can remember

What they said was "we are showing off a game type that has been announced, but not shown off yet, we hope"

That game type specifically being Capture The Flag. Not a new variant. That was CTF in their eyes

At the end, you can't fault them for following COD. They want a piece of that and it's business after all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ibh6O6BobJ6JOJ.png

edit
iOQw5bfj0dnse.png

just catching up. hilarious. poor josh.

It's so fucking exhausting having to fight for a proper fucking sequel (or proper generational iteration) people are still waiting for a proper halo 2 multiplayer uh variant/sequel but bungie and 343 at one point decided to vomit mediocrity

I bought halo to be halo, I bought diablo to be diablo and counter-strike to be counter-strike, max payne to be max payne...

Why, come this fall, am I not going to have a single game the fans actually wanted?

What they said was "we are showing off a game type that has been announced, but not shown off yet, we hope"

That game type specifically being Capture The Flag. Not a new variant. That was CTF in their eyes

But like months back when all the stuff was leaked and released they mentioned a new game type of CTF and this is what they were talking about. I remember frank even mentioning holding the pistol and everything

Are you representative of the entire fanbase? It sure sounds like you think you know what's best for us fans.

Most people don't though because they couldn't give a shit about the actual game and just want to pick up the kills. They are trying to get rid of that mindset, granted they are doing this with force but it should still help somewhat.

I mean yeah it will be annoying if you are in the middle of a fight and all the sudden "CARRYING FLAG" pops up.

I like that the points for capping a flag was +100 (where kills are +10/15), and I also like that vehicles drivers are rewarded for transporting the flag carrier (note the Flag Driver Medal/Notification). This is the kind of stuff that will make players want to play objective in objective, instead of slayer in objective.

Regardless of all of the shitting on you guys that we do, I'd like to point out that you're still great people and stuff like this is awesome.
"We shit on because we care."

Should be the HaloGAF motto

Recarpo

I honestly don't really mind a lot of the changes as I imagine they will be toggleable options for those gametypes. The game still looks and sounds great and I can't wait to try it out.

JHall

Borderlands 2?

We've (I've) only seen the flag carried with one other weapon -- the magnum. Is this the only weapon that can be 'flag wielded'? If so then what if you don't have one on you, do you get given one? Can we change that in custom games (remove weapon, or set it to something else). I've got a crazy idea that involves rail guns, flags and

The magnum is equipped when you pick up the flag. What weapons you are carrying doesn't matter.
Sooo..uuhm small thing, but where is the secondary weapon indicator?
Not in this build, I will try to remember to ask about it today.

But like months back when all the stuff was leaked and released they mentioned a new game type of CTF and this is what they were talking about. I remember frank even mentioning holding the pistol and everything

what are you talking about? this is default CTF. it wasn't called "infinity CTF, pistol CTF, "can't drop the flag CTF," it was called "CAPTURE THE FLAG" This is the "new and improved!" capture the flag. Its what you are going to play in MM when you select Capture the flag.

Why are you being so delusional?

Regardless of all of the shitting on you guys that we do, I'd like to point out that you're still great people and stuff like this is awesome.

I do agree.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Are you representative of the entire fanbase? It sure sounds like you think you know what's best for us fans.

Oh cool!

So reach isn't the most loathed multiplayer in the Halo series?
People aren't uneasy about perks? They are totally happy with ones like dexterity?
People are happy the jet pack is back?
People are totally thrilled about CTF being mauled?
People are excited over the 1-50 not being around?
People are enamored over the compelling reason red Spartans can fight blue Spartans?

I must live in an alternate dimension

op_ivy

jet pack looks virtually the same as reach but with a faster depletion. anyone at PAX able to elaborate?

Most people don't though because they couldn't give a shit about the actual game and just want to pick up the kills. They are trying to get rid of that mindset, granted they are doing this with force but it should still help somewhat.

I mean yeah it will be annoying if you are in the middle of a fight and all the sudden "CARRYING FLAG" pops up.
In any other Halo, If ihave rockets and am the only person in position to grab the flag, Ill grab it. In Halo 4, Ill never grab it.

what are you talking about? this is default CTF. it wasn't called "infinity CTF, pistol CTF, "can't drop the flag CTF," it was called "CAPTURE THE FLAG" This is the "new and improved!" capture the flag. Its what you are going to play in MM when you select Capture the flag.

Why are you being so delusional?

I do agree.

SO classic CTF will be Called Classic. Problems there???? None So what your saying is you like to freak out because you dislike new game types ??? I mean Stockpile was a variant of CTF. I just dont see why you HAVE to believe this is the ONLY CTF variant playable in halo 4. And of Course there going to Show all the New Game types and Variant before they show classics we Already now what the classics are We dont need to be Reeducated on them.

wwm0nkey

Oh cool!

People aren't uneasy about perks? They are totally happy with ones like dexterity?
People are enamored over the compelling reason red Spartans can fight blue Spartans?

I don't like Reach but Halo 4 is no Reach
People have a right to be until they play and see how it effects the long run of things
Someone probably is
Already gave my reasons why some of these changes are good
I couldn't give a fuck about 1-50, invisible ELO ranking is fine with me

op_ivy

In any other Halo, If ihave rockets and am the only person in position to grab the flag, Ill grab it. In Halo 4, Ill never grab it.

also, if i'm a tool that only wants to inflate my k/d ratio in CTF, why would i EVER pick up a flag i cant drop? if i accidentally picked it up by walking over it i'd be even more pissed. cant say, as that person, i'd ever want to play ctf again.

i dont even see how auto pickup helps attract people to the objective of capping flags in ctf.

TCKaos

Oh cool!

As long as the game doesn't play like shit, I don't give a flying fuck.

Oh cool!

So reach isn't the most loathed multiplayer in halo 4?

When you say people, do you mean all people or a vocal subsection of people?

Regardless of what you say or what I say, there are literally millions of Halo players who never say a thing. I can only ever speak for my own views and have the decency to respect other people's views but please don't spew that kind of nonsense whereby you know what the people want. You only know what a few people want. Don't pretend like those people are the only people.

wwm0nkey

also, if i'm a tool that only wants to inflate my k/d ratio, why would i EVER pick up a flag i cant drop? if i accidentally picked it up by walking over it i'd be even more pissed. cant say, as that person, i'd ever want to play ctf again.

Good, keep them out of objective modes if they are only there for the kills then.

SO classic CTF will be Called Classic. Problems there???? None So what your saying is you like to freak out because you dislike new game types ??? I mean Stockpile was a variant of CTF. I just dont see why you HAVE to believe this is the ONLY CTF variant playable in halo 4. And of Course there going to Show all the New Game types and Variant before they show classics we Already now what the classics are We dont need to be Reeducated on them.

But stockpile is essentially a different game mode (not a very good one).

The reason why I'm personally aggravated is because instead of trying to fix (doesn't need fixing) the default CTF variant someone decided to shit on it. We already have this shit problem in Reach where we have 94,000 variations of Slayer, why the HELL do we need another version of CTF?

What was wrong with the original CTF? Why are we fixing things that aren't broken? Why can't I drop the flag? Why do I automatically pick up the flag?

????

also, if i'm a tool that only wants to inflate my k/d ratio in CTF, why would i EVER pick up a flag i cant drop? if i accidentally picked it up by walking over it i'd be even more pissed. cant say, as that person, i'd ever want to play ctf again.

i dont even see how auto pickup helps attract people to the objective of capping flags in ctf.
Well you get the points equivalent of 10 kills for a flag capture.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Assuming "weak points" are in vehicles again; it would appear the weak spot on Warthogs is the back since they stacked fuel cans back there now.

Oh cool!

Haven't been reading any info lately, what happened to CTF and what does Dexterity do?

wwm0nkey

you confuse me.

If they are trying to get players into objective with these changes but after awhile they simply quit because they never like going for it then they shouldn't be there. Then we will have people that start learning to go for the objective that might play more because they end up liking it.

Sorry if my posts seem a bit confusing, I need to work on my wording a bit more.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
This has essentially turned into HaloYahooComments. So irrational.

I don't get why the flag is auto-pickup, but worst case scenario- how often would you accidentally pick up the flag? 1 every 15-20 games? I refuse to get all up in a huff over this because most CTF games in prior titles suck, not because of mechanics but because of the population not giving a crap. I'll sacrifice an occasional loss of a montage clip in hopes the changes make CTF more playable.

Shut up already. Let Dopey vent his frustration and take your circle jerk elsewhere. So damn annoying.

Fuck that shit. Let him vent his own frustration. I'll call anyone out who suggests they know what the fanbase wants. I like Halo 4 but I'm never going to play my opinion as being more than my own.

Gameplay is king aka who gives a shit.
Because it shuts down decisions and player agency. If it allowed you to use your existing secondary weapon, that would be interesting: you'd have to approach the flag with appropriate weapons and ammo, and having the pistol in hand would be your reward for foresight and planning. If you could still drop the flag, of course, you'd also have options in terms of switching to other weapons, handing off the flag to a different player, tossing it up or down a level and so out of opponents' grasp, responding to evolving situations by making clever choices, etc.

Instead, based on what we've seen, this game has a flag that glues itself to your hand whether you intend to pick it up or not, from which point you're locked into being a running and gunning flashing target until you get it home or you die. It constrains your behaviour, and even your team's behaviour, and narrows the variety of CTF as a game. It's an ad hoc solution to an non-existent problem. It makes me more dependent on random teammates and less inclined to go anywhere near the flag... and I won't be alone.

Overdoziz

Banned
The only way you can stop (or limit) objective holding is to make it so people get matched up with evenly skilled players. The only situation in which people hold the objective is one in which one team outclasses the other by a wide margin. The only reason why we objective hold in TO is because only 1 out of a 100 matches is actually competitive so we end up having to entertain ourselves. If we actually went for the objective all the time in every match nearly all matches would be over in mere minutes, screw that.

This has essentially turned into HaloYahooComments. So irrational.

I don't get why the flag is auto-pickup, but worst case scenario- how often would you accidentally pick up the flag? 1 every 15-20 games? I refuse to get all up in a huff over this because most CTF games in prior titles suck, not because of mechanics but because of the population not giving a crap. I'll sacrifice an occasional loss of a montage clip in hopes the changes make CTF more playable.
I don't think auto-pickup is bad, it was that way in CE. By the time Reach came around, there were too many things assigned to that universal use button; sometimes I'd find myself juggling weapons trying to get to a health pack, it was ridiculous.

What I find problematic about auto-pickup here is that without flag dropping you can potentially find yourself in a situation accidentally picking it up and royally screwing yourself trying to defend.

If they are trying to get players into objective with these changes but after awhile they simply quit because they never like going for it then they shouldn't be there. Then we will have people that start learning to go for the objective that might play more because they end up liking it.

Sorry if my posts seem a bit confusing, I need to work on my wording a bit more.
They'll still play objective to inflate their kd. The only difference is instead of sometimes picking up the flag like in previous games, they will NEVER pick upthe flag.

See how this is a bad change now?

Top Bottom