• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Caja 117

Oh hi. Still mobile but I'll give you the short of it.

Talked to Kevin Franklin after the panel and talked CTF.
1. No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer. "It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills. We haven't talked customs yet for CTF so we can't comment but in war games you won't be able to drop the flag. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target."
2. For Plywood, "we have the ability to take screenshots of maps to include in the menu UI but have no comment as of now for forge."

I can't quote him directly as I was unsure, but it seemed as if he said something about aggregating forge maps in their own playlist instead of including them in the standard war games hoppers.

Guys, they're listening, but they also have their own vision for how they want it to play out but it's a beautiful game. I promise.

So, I could just have the flag carrier camp at my base while I pad my numbers killing anyone that goes looking for the Flag carrier.

Riiiiiiiight?

I don't consider this to be optional. It's an absolutely mandatory option, especially for customs.

I said options as in custom game options. Not that it is an optional feature.
I agree that it will be sort of disappointing to not have that age old feature.
But that just might be nostalgia, I'm excited to see what new CTF is.

Really though it doesn't really matter.
If I don't end up liking 343's vision of Halo, I'm just going to be done with Halo.
I refuse to be isolated to a single playlist/customs to experience Halo the way I want to.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't pick up flags anyways, that's Dani's job on my squad.

Suckers.

I carry the flag,
you guys carry me.
:D

Just realised something silly. If you have Rockets or Snipe or some other power weapon and you get suckered into holding the flag, you effectively take the power weapons you're holding out of play or setting up the other team to have a nice bounty when they kill the flah carrier.

It's stupid.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've watched that vid so many times already.

Hnnnnnnnggggggggg

Even with all my apprehension about multiplayer, I want this game in my veins right now, even if only for the single-player. Cannot wait until November 6th.

1. No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer. "It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills. We haven't talked customs yet for CTF so we can't comment but in war games you won't be able to drop the flag. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target."
2. For Plywood, "we have the ability to take screenshots of maps to include in the menu UI but have no comment as of now for forge."

No one? :p

Just realised something silly. If you have Rockets or Snipe or some other power weapon and you get suckered into holding the flag, you effectively take the power weapons you're holding out of play or setting up the other team to have a nice bounty when they kill the flah carrier.

It's stupid.

Good luck to them when they try to pick up the rockets without touching the flag.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That can interpreted in a number of ways.

I think all this point stuff is going to take griefing in Objective to another level. I'm curious as to what they're going to do to make players want to actually complete the objective because +100 flag cap for one player isn't going to be enough.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Um, Kevin. The flag runner was always an important part of Capture the Flag. Because it's Capture the Flag.

I hope those classic playlists are good.

It's a shame that it'll probably hamper top-flight games- but I still think it'll be a benefit to most games played. Objective games were so often a mess.

I do think getting rid of the auto-pickup would be a plus though.

Ramirez

An individual rank of Inheritor.

I feel like these CTF changes were made for the lowest of the low, and really, all you need to do is go into TO and play a CTF match to see why they felt they needed to try and change it. These changes won't effect the GAF parties that go in and run train on teams 30 times in a row in MM, the only people I see being really upset about this and it actually mattering is MLG.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry folks. I have photos coming, but had other things to do before I can turn my phone into a hotspot, get my mac, and slowly upload them. :)

Should be just a bit.

Blueblur1

I can't quote him directly as I was unsure, but it seemed as if he said something about aggregating forge maps in their own playlist instead of including them in the standard war games hoppers.

Guys, they're listening, but they also have their own vision for how they want it to play out but it's a beautiful game. I promise.

That sounds terrible. So they want to ensure everyone gets 5 points for helping the flag carrier do anything and to make sure people bother with the flag in the first place they tether you to it. That's a really stupid way of approaching that problem.

Um, Kevin. The flag runner was always an important part of Capture the Flag. Because it's Capture the Flag.

I hope those classic playlists are good.

I hope these classic playlists even exist. Reach is starting to look more attractive.

He can't comment on CTF customs? He can't comment on whether there's the option to drop the flag? That makes zero sense.

Because they want to force these changes down our throats and were probably hoping we'd smile and take it. I hope they're noticing that their "vision" is shit.

nillapuddin

Its a real positive that the flag cap is worth 100 points

That was something that I really wanted to be changed in Halo 4, so happy with this

A solo cap in Tribes is 2000 in game points, an assisted cap is 1000
A kill is worth 100, it really encourages playing the flag and winning as being more important than kill farming

Havok

Reading through this preview made me realize that I don't remember a single thing about like, 80% of the characters from Glasslands.

heckfu

Banned
honestly. Kevin franklin is full of shit. his answers really didnt give any real explanation besides "promotes teamwork"
Honestly man, you're full of
mad. 343 have played incredible hosts this weekend and been generous with their time and been personable.

Call me a slurper but he came up to us and offered to answer what he could and offered. If you disagree that's fine but be respectful and not attack them directly or we risk losing any kind of chance to get answers directly.

I think the guys of 343 thought about this, right? Is sad that a good portion of the community is already hopping for that classic playlist from this game.

Imagine if you cap two right away and you get around 10 minutes of that. Or they don't remove the 4th round when one team already scored and the other team failed both of their attempts.

Not being able to drop the flag is one thing and there's many reason why this is bad (can't switch to a better weapon to defend, means you have to die for the flag to be returned which reduces one touch's manicness when a dude does switch to a gun and forgets to guard the flag), but it's auto-pickup that has me more concerned with putting people off going after the objective.

If you're engaged in a battle with say a Ghost and you lose track that you're near the flag and your sweet rockets suddenly become a pistol causing you to lose that fight and die you're going to learn to hate that flag's ability to deprive you of your power weapons and refuse to pick it up.

Been a while since I've posted in a Halo thread, hello again.

Ramirez

Reach is starting to look more attractive.

startrek.gif

C'mon now.

You mean the Reach where you can't flag juggle, your gun is inconsistent as hell, & you move & jump like a turtle?

Real attractive.

Heckfu has been bitten by the RL bug, it's where you meet these devs you trash on the internet & find out how big of a jerk you were, and become a...changed man!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Honestly man, you're full of shit. 343 have played incredible hosts this weekend and been generous with their time and been personable.

Call me a slurper but he came up to us and offered to answer what he could and offered. If you disagree that's fine but be respectful and not attack them directly or we risk losing any kind of chance to get answers directly.

I agree with you. Regardless of my personal opinion about the game, the 343 devs are awesome. They've been great with the community, and from what you guys have experienced, they're very much interested in interacting with their fans.

Holiday

Banned

I think all this point stuff is going to take griefing in Objective to another level. I'm curious as to what they're going to do to make players want to actually complete the objective because +100 flag cap for one player isn't going to be enough.

1 flag cap equals 10 kills in terms of points, right? For anyone tempted to stat, there won't even be hesitation. Cap once, spawn kill, and you'll make up those extra points easy, and get more medals and an inflated k/d to boot.

I just pre-ordered The Thursday War.

That was something that I really wanted to be changed in Halo 4, so happy with this

A solo cap in Tribes is 2000 in game points, an assisted cap is 1000
A kill is worth 100, it really encourages playing the flag and winning as being more important than kill farming

Yeah it's great. And you get +20 for flag driver & +20 for flag assist (or was it 40 for both?). Really supporting team objective.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

Don't keep/record k/d for objective?

daedalius

Honestly man, you're full of shit. 343 have played incredible hosts this weekend and been generous with their time and been personable.

You know they love the repeated 1-liners just as much as we all do.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
1 flag cap equals 10 kills in terms of points, right? For anyone tempted to stat, there won't even be hesitation. Cap once, spawn kill, and get you'll make up those extra points easy, and get more medals and an inflated k/d to boot.
Which is why we need ranks(not exp. ranks) now more than ever.

Caja 117

It's a shame that it'll probably hamper top-flight games- but I still think it'll be a benefit to most games played. Objective games were so often a mess.

I do think getting rid of the auto-pickup would be a plus though.

Well at least if I'm playing objective and I see a guy stat padding i will go with the flag and try to die close to him so he can end up with the Flag.

Or Just run to a guy who I want him to get killed by the other team and because the waypoint is pointing at me it will also give up his position as well.

Blueblur1

Don't get me wrong, campaign looks amazing and I can't wait to play it. But every single multiplayer change aside from oddball and bomb throwing sounds like it came from a shitty focus test consisting of 10, 11, and 12 year olds.

nillapuddin

Yeah it's great. And you get +20 for flag driver & +20 for flag assist (or was it 40 for both?). Really supporting team objective.

i dont recall the exact figures, but its "worth it" to help your carrier

Obviously for people who play with a 'team' (like myself) helping is unquestioned and part of the plan

But when there are real accolades for helping, I feel like even a group of random players would contribute

its all about the points, the medals, the HUD icons,
I know some people think they are stupid, unnecessary, whatever

but what it could mean for the masses, is a way more cohesive team experience
(from my pov)

I carry the flag,
you guys carry me.
:D

It's stupid.

I'm wondering if they can solve this with forcing the player to drop both the weapons that he is carrying (as if he died) since he won't be able to use them anyways... wait nvm, if you cap the flag you get your weapons back. Ignore me. Maybe that will trigger a discussion that may result in a solution.

But every single multiplayer change aside from oddball and bomb throwing sounds like it came from a shitty focus test consisting of 10, 11, and 12 year olds.
Ah now, that seems a bit unfair. I don't like the decisions either, but CoD appeals to an age group just as wide, if not wider than Halo does.

Also, weren't you (and at least half of the people here) 11 or 12 when you got into Halo originally?

kylej

Banned

Yeah it's a pretty good idea. Another variant would be something I call 2-Flag Slayer. Basically you get 50x the amount of points for capping a flag than you do for getting a regular kill, but kills still count. When you get to, say, 200 total points the game would end, or whichever team had the most points at the end would be the victor. I bet nobody would ever kill farm in that type of game type.

Top Bottom