• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

Yeah it's a pretty good idea. Another variant would be something I call 2-Flag Slayer. Basically you get 50x the amount of points for capping a flag than you do for getting a regular kill, but kills still count. When you get to, say, 200 total points the game would end, or whichever team had the most points at the end would be the victor. I bet nobody would ever kill farm in that type of game type.

wait, isnt that in Reach?

On an honest level, if flags and kills contributed to an overall point cap, it would essentially end griefing, atleast if its a massacre it will end promptly~

Pop

H4 Daily War Game Challenge: Score 2 flags in one CTF match.

Here comes the betrayals, cause guess why...I can't drop the flag. Way to go 343i.

senador

Banned
Read this for a reminder on proper spoiler tagging. Don't ruin shit for others.

What I'm thinking about now for flag games is when someone not very good grabs it by mistake and isnt smart enough to figure to get in my vehicle or go a certain route. What about those times when it's super tough to get into their base and one person finally scrapes by and snags the flag and throws it out immediately dies? That strategy will no longer work and has little to do with teamwork. It super fucking hard to make teamwork work with randoms anyhow. Man, not being able to drop the flag sounds so bad. Teamwork you say? Not when I go in alone.

H4 Daily War Game Challenge: Score 2 flags in one CTF match.

Here comes the betrayals, cause guess why...I can't drop the flag. Way to go 343i.
Ah that's not the greatest reasoning either, would you be a coward and drop the flag if that happened in Reach?
No, you'd let your dumb team mate be an idiot and boot his ass.

nillapuddin

No that's in Assassin's Creed.

dont know why that was a necessary troll, I know that exists in Reach, I meant was that the point spread in Reach

50 for a flag, 1 for a Kill

(screw it, google..)

okay so it is, thats to many potential kills in my opinion.

@devo

flag cap = 100 points
but in Halo 4 flag (so far) there isnt an point cap

Blueblur1

Ah now, that seems a bit unfair. I don't like the decisions either, but CoD appeals to an age group just as wide, if not wider than Halo does.

Also, weren't you (and at least half of the people here) 11 or 12 when you got into Halo originally?

Usually, I try not to get mad about these things. I mean, its just a video game after all. But Kevin's comments that heckfu paraphrased upset me. The comments show that they're clearly more concerned about constantly showering the player with nebulous points than they are with keeping the core dynamics of Halo intact. I'm hoping for a larger explanation but at this point I have no interest in CTF at all nor will I be touching whatever half-assed Objectives playlist they devise. As far as Blueblur1 is concerned, they have accomplished the opposite of what they set out to do by making these changes.

And to answer your question, I was 17 when I started playing Halo.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wooooooooo
pp8Ca.gif

Oh noes, 343 pandering to everyone now..even the blind! </faketroll>
Well actually...

Just thinking; Why should K/D be the global measure for skill? It's obviously flawed. Yeah it's simple, but surely there's something relatively simple (not abstract like the BPR) that actually represents a little less broken numeric interpretation of skill...

I was thinking of some kind of system which isolates Objective and Slayer and K/D is only a factor in Slayer. Something like this:

Skill points = [Objective] W/L * [Slayer] (K+10*W)/(D+10*L)

e.g. Obj W/L = 1.4,
Slayer, Kills: 2,000, Deaths: 1,250
Slayer, Wins: 75, Losses: 60
= 1.4 * (2,000+750)/(1,250+600)
= 1.4 * 2,750/1850
SkP = 2.08

I dunno...

Well he showed up and provided Tequila before disappearing, didn't he?
Must be afraid of a salty love knife.

Does that sound perverted to anyone else? Ooops.

Totally creepy, for sure. GAF has been an an enigma at PAX for me, too. So much so that I just assume every bearded person is Heckfu. Is there still a Halo free play going on? Where is it?

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
keep the kill medals for building exp
add a button flag-pickup
make k/d stats slayer exclusive

I'd be far more tempted to go into objective lone-wolf w/ settings like that.

Pop

Ah that's not the greatest reasoning either, would you be a coward and drop the flag if that happened in Reach?
No, you'd let your dumb team mate be an idiot and boot his ass.
I could just avoided the situation if I could have been able to drop the flag. I usually don't grab the flag anyway but when I do I like the ability to drop it.

Pretty sure dropping the flag wouldn't save you, and why would you want it to? Never give in to terrorists.

Ya it would. See if I drop the flag the noob stops trying to kill me and grabs his precious flag. Let's see the reactions when you accidentally run to close to the flag and your spartan picks it up. Have fun with your low clip blooming pistol. Auto pick-up FTL

Havok

damn, one shot and then it needs to be reloaded. looks like it's got some huge splash damage. he just fired in that spartans general direction, and the spartan melts.
Seems like that's the Forerunner power weapon mantra -- the Scattershot seems to be the exception now that we've seen the Incinerator and Binary Rifle. Slow, low ammo, super powerful. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out on release.

I do hope, though, that this doesn't mean the Fuel Rod makes it into matchmaking in that same ordnance role, at least not anywhere near its current state. That thing would need to be hit about a dozen times with the nerf bat before it was suitable.

Karl2177

Just thinking; Why should K/D be the global measure for skill? It's obviously flawed. Yeah it's simple, but surely there's something relatively simple (not abstract like the BPR) that actually represents a little less broken numeric interpretation of skill...

I was thinking of some kind of system which isolates Objective and Slayer and K/D is only a factor in Slayer. Something like this:

Skill points = [Objective] W/L * [Slayer] (K+10*W)/(D+10*L)

e.g. Obj W/L = 1.4,
Slayer, Kills: 2,000, Deaths: 1,250
Slayer, Wins: 75, Losses: 60
= 1.4 * (2,000+750)/(1,250+600)
= 1.4 * 2,750/1850
SkP = 2.08

I dunno...
Just blindly coming up with a formula isn't going to get you far...

I could just avoided the situation if I could have been able to drop the flag. I usually don't grab the flag anyway but when I do I like the ability to drop it.
Oh me too, I just thought your example/context was pretty poor in the overall calvalcade of possible reasons to think why the non-flag drop is bad.

Havok

Well I was just trying to promote some kind of discussion on a system that would actually work...
You've gotta account for assists as well. Folks that play support roles have been screwed over far too many times. A system that integrates (k + a) instead of just k would be better.

You guys ready to get weird tonight?

y1P5s.jpg

HeckFu I love you.

Also if anyone is near Bellvue come drinking with us!

Text me... (should i post my number on the internet....) hmm...

edit: thanks Devo

Quote this for fun times.

if you call I literally will not answer.

Also no i do not like grapes, you nerds.

nillapuddin

MATH! lol

I completely agree with you, not necessarily on the calculations, but when you think about it, K/D really is a pretty brutish statistic to overall judge a player on

Any player who is predominantly an objective carrier (im not) would back me on this
or a driver, whatever

I think it would be great to incorporate wins, losses, assists and objective scoring into an encompassing player statistic

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Well I was just trying to promote some kind of discussion on a system that would actually work...

Just scrap k/d for objective. I'm okay w/ the +10 for kills for exp purposes- but k/d is misleading even in pure objective games and removing it helps thin out people wanting to exploit it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
One of those IGN vids on CTF coverage:

"A lot like the Halo 3 map Rat Race"

I fucking wish. That's one map no one ever talks about worthy of a remake.

Top Bottom