• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I am at the airport now. I want to say thanks to everyone I've met at this year's PAX prime. You made the time incredible. I cannot wait to meet you guys next year!

And thanks to Frankie, Alison, David, Jess and every 343i employee for Halo 4 and the hoodie.

Yea I have no desire to get on Reach anymore:(
And you haven't even played Halo 4 yet. The next two months are going to be painful.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I made a chart to try and make sense of all of the Halo 4 weapons we know so far, and sort them into categories (provided each faction has an even number of weapons):

iZ6px.png

Three things to note.
The Promethean Hardlight Scythe is really unnamed, referring to the melee weapon mounted on the Promethean Knights.
The Promethean Repeater was mentioned in a past bulletin, and may be the Suppressor, but renamed.
The Promethean "SMG" (unnamed weapon) was seen in screenshots, and may be an early build of a Boltshot. It did not see any action in movement thusfar.

You really are shaping up to be one of the better posters here, good shit man.

My SO is a nurse and a couple years ago she told me to pair every drink, no matter if its a shot or a beer, with a glass of water, and no matter how drunk you get, you won't get a hangover. I've followed this advice, and have never had one since.
Yeah, but that isn't fun at all.
"K guys, I got rockets, I'm gonna clear them out so you can pull the-- FUCK I TOUCHED THE FLAG!!"
Do you have zero control of your own player? Accidental flag pickups should be extremely rare for any player that has the slightest idea of how to use the controller.
It's very confusing. After the panel was over, I made a short post about my feelings on the subject. Assault is a classic gametype. Why announce Griffball before that?
Because a ton of Grifball community members attend these events, and yes, they go fucking nuts for that gametype being shown or talked about at an event.
There is still hope... no?
There isn't.

We already got an official video showing the UNSC weapons, it was not in there. Also, this isn't confirmed, but I personally think that the PAX build was sandbox complete, as there were a number of Covenant and Promethean weapons in the build that they hadn't talked about at all, and more than enough to round of the Covenant and Promethean weapon sets.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
The Promethean Repeater was mentioned in a past bulletin, and may be the Suppressor, but renamed.
The Promethean "SMG" (unnamed weapon) was seen in screenshots, and may be an early build of a Boltshot. It did not see any action in movement thusfar.

Good post, here's some additional info. Promethean Repeater is the Suppressor is the Promethean SMG.

TCKaos

I made a chart to try and make sense of all of the Halo 4 weapons we know so far, and sort them into categories (provided each faction has an even number of weapons):

Three things to note.
The Promethean Hardlight Scythe is really unnamed, referring to the melee weapon mounted on the Promethean Knights.

Similarly, the Covenant LMG (if there is one) could be a buffed Plasma Repeater. Would make more sense over the Plasma Rifle due to the overall size of the weapon. You could portray it to be a far more damaging and heavy weapon than you could with the Plasma Rifle.

TCKaos

so no UNSC SMG :(?

It would be cool to get the SMG back as a secondary. Have a precision weapon primary and be able to fall back on a bullet hose (BR/SMG) instead of depending on a bullet hose and falling back on a precision weapon (AR/Pistol).

Plasma Rifle could have conceivably been a nifty secondary weapon, too. It would fill the same role as the SMG.

Vire

iZ6px.png

Three things to note.

Concussion rifle was confirmed? :D

Fuchsdh

The different poses is definitely something I can't find fault with. I'm not sure why the Reach roster screens were that ugly below-the-character perspective that made them all look excessively clunky. The Armory pose is much better.

FyreWulff

So here's my thoughts on the CTF changes. I'll try to stay away from commenting on actual gameplay itself since I didn't play the game.

First things first: I'm glad that 343 is finally hearing the complaints and is sticking to one vision on CTF for Halo 4. If the flag ends up undroppable in the final game, it should be like this in all playlists, conversely, if it becomes droppable again, this should also apply to all playlists.

Dropping: I'm on the fence about. I can see why they did it, and I mostly agree with it. It definitely streamlines the UX and makes Objective's mechanics easier to access. Autopickup solves the problem of wanting to get a flag but you pick up a weapon instead, and the less dextrious players can also now just walk their spartan over a flag and contribute instead of flustering with the controls (it DOES happen, not everyone can handle a controller in the same expert fashion). It plays into their scoring system, and it makes automatically being granted a magnum make more sense if you're stuck with the flag until you score. Finally, it solves the problem of one player constantly refreshing the flag in the back of a base then going back to slaying in Objective hold situations. Obj holding will now permanently put you a man down AND you have a waypoint on you.

However, my concern lies on the constant notifications. We've had our debates over flag throwing before, and they were fun, so I'll just say this. I never throw the flag for two reasons: because it's dangerous as shit to do on LIVE, and because it aggros the other team. I'll expand on that meaning people that tend to shift to slayer mode in CTF will be "poked" into persuing the flag and returning it if you constantly remind them that they're playing CTF and to come get you. In Halo 4, this trade off (holding onto the flag to stay radio silent and use ignorance to your advantage, or throwing it and aggroing the entire world onto you) is gone. The other team is constantly notified of the flag.

I can see why they did it, or my opinion of why they did it. If the announcer is explicitly telling the players what to do, it SHOULD result in better CTF play from randoms since the game will outline their current task in explicit detail. Your flag has been stolen. Now kill the carrier. Y ou killed the carrier, now defend the flag so it returns. etc etc. But now you don't have the option of stealth (especially with the waypoint), so I'm not exactly sure this won't just cause more corpse capping (as the other team will be like moths to the flame) or just make CTF focused more on wiping the other team then pulling and losing the awesome ninja runs and caps.

I'd feel better about solidifying an opinion once I've played the gametype for a while, but I'm not too worried as long as they pick one CTF and stick with that CTF for Halo 4.

Good post, here's some additional info. Promethean Repeater is the Suppressor is the Promethean SMG.

Thanks for such concise clarification, I'll edit the graph accordingly. That's some prometheanception if I've ever seen it.

YRKW7.png

Similarly, the Covenant LMG (if there is one) could be a buffed Plasma Repeater. Would make more sense over the Plasma Rifle due to the overall size of the weapon. You could portray it to be a far more damaging and heavy weapon than you could with the Plasma Rifle.

See, that was my line of thinking except I think the Storm Rifle feels more like the Plasma Repeater. If anything you'd think that the Plasma Rifle would get buffed and become a Primary weapon, and the Storm Rifle would be the Ordnance.

Concussion rifle was confirmed? :D

Yep! From what I've heard of press information though, it functions more like the Halo 3 Brute Shot, it just looks like the Reach Concussion Rifle.

dat user interface
dem poses
dem visor options
that EVERYTHING
oh my god oh my god oh my god
i want to bake eli cookies or something for going through all those options and recording it in HD

Do you have zero control of your own player? Accidental flag pickups should be extremely rare for any player that has the slightest idea of how to use the controller.
Fascinating.

Clearly my post was a joke, but are you serious? Auto pick-up and inability to drop: this situation will happen. Someone will CE locked out of their weapons for getting too close to the flag, be it from strafiing during a fight or being too close to your teammate flag carrier when he gets killed.

You now have to actively avoid the flag. Sure, it's easy most of the time because like you said, I have the slightest idea of how to use my controller (thanks!). But it will happen, and it will suck; and for what? Because of that one time you miss picking up the flag because you grabbed a nearby weapon by mistake?

Solution: Hold Y to pick up the flag. Wow guys, I fixed the super hard problem! I so smart!

Come on now, this adds nothing of worth to the game while introducing numerous potential problems.

wwm0nkey

After playing it for a bit I really hope if they ever make a Halo MMO they just copy and paste Planet Side. Its already Halo+Battlefield+ChromeHounds on crack and its amazing.

FyreWulff

Maybe an idea would be this:

Script up a new gametype with Megalo in Reach, INFINITY FLAG

Turn on autopickup. Player picks up flag like Speedflag (since we're cramming this into the Reach engine). If player has a flag, force-switch the player to the Magnum (much like how they do with the Juggernaut -> Hammer)

This way the player can't drop the flag and are in a magnum-only mode.

Throw this into Reach and let people play customs with it.

You cant have 3 in reach?

You should be able to, considering my callsign was N64 up until a week ago

TCKaos

After playing it for a bit I really hope if they ever make a Halo MMO they just copy and paste Planet Side. Its already Halo+Battlefield+ChromeHounds on crack and its amazing.

My favorite feature is the ability to give a rousing motivational speech to your entire platoon so that they break the front line. There need to be more games where that kind of stuff happens.

Aggrotek

To Aggrotek - I'm currently downloading Plywood's links - Part 4 seems to be perfectly fine. I'm guessing something went wrong for you the first time you tried it, and your browser has cached the bad data. :( Try force-reloading that link. (Part 1 is going pretty slowly, but I have all the rest. If the RAR doesn't recombine, I'll edit this post.)

Weird. It wouldn't even load the link for me. I'll retry right now.

wwm0nkey

My favorite feature is the ability to give a rousing motivational speech to your entire platoon so that they break the front line. There need to be more games where that kind of stuff happens.

The game is just insane, Battlefield gameplay, Halo-ish art and Chromehounds online system but all connected on the same map and constantly going.

I just don't know how I never heard about this game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Iirc halo 2 was originally going to be an MMOFPS at least what I remember from the original multiplayer info drop - what they described may have been closer to chrome hounds but I do remember they wanted everything to be part of one large scale war

Way I see it... Destiny may be what halo 2 multiplayer was originally planned to be

(Could be failing to remember an article I read 10 years ago)

wwm0nkey

Iirc halo 2 was originally going to be an MMOFPS at least what I remember from the original multiplayer info drop - what they described may have been closer to chrome hounds but I do remember they wanted everything to be part of one large scale war

Way I see it... Destiny may be what halo 2 multiplayer was originally planned to be

(Could be failing to remember an article I read 10 years ago)

If Destiny might ends up being the Planet Side for consoles.....I am 100% fine with that if thats how it turns out.

FyreWulff

If Destiny might ends up being the Planet Side for consoles.....I am 100% fine with that if thats how it turns out.

You don't know how sad I was when I found out we narrowly missed having a next-gen C&C Renegade with the earlier version of Reach's invasion. Used to be an in-game economy and you bought vehicles and weapons during the game.

Vire

So do we have any events to look forward to now that PAX is over between now and launch?

Or is that it?

The most painful 2 months since my Halo 2 hype days...

again, the PAX build isn't the final game.

this skin is pre-order exclusive, the helmet itself isn't. Same for Deadeye.

I think it was even stated somewhere from 343 that all Armor except the one frome the limited edition (and console) are all in game, but not all skins.
Except there is only one version for both helmets in the PAX build and they both have what was previously thought to be the skin but instead is just how the helmet is.

fnmore1

iZ6px.png

Three things to note.

What happened to the supposed flamethrower that was seen in the UNSC Weapons video? Or did that turn out to be the Boltshot? I haven't heard about the weapon since.

I used the promethean pistol, light rifle, smg, and incinerator.

Promethean weapons are my go to weapons.

I have footage of the smg and the boltsot during the gaf on gaf ctf game. Its about 15 mins of 1080p footage so it may take a while to upload.

I know heckfu and Duncan captured their perspectives too. We should compile them.

I have footage of the smg and the boltsot during the gaf on gaf ctf game. Its about 15 mins of 1080p footage so it may take a while to upload.

I know heckfu and Duncan captured their perspectives too. We should compile them.
How's the boltshot handle? Powerful?

Make a HaloGaf Halo 4 Montage quick while it can only be your clips!

heckfu

Banned

I got Sam to film on her camera so whenever it gets uploaded to a file share server or YouTube I'll send it to him.

feel

Really digging that you get to choose the pose for your spartan's tile. Will make it way more interesting to flick between people's spartans in a mp lobby when they're all not exactly in the same pose and you're just switching armor pieces.

The thing I really like about the armour customization this time is that they actually look fully realized. In Halo 3 and Reach the things you could choose from look very much pasted on to the base armour (you can't tell me those Mark V shoulders looked right in Reach), while in 4 it looks like the base is the under armour body frame.

And yeah, the stances are a nice touch. Felt like a lot of the things in Reach ended up looking worse than they were solely because of that single stance and angle.

ZalinKrow

Wasn't expecting that many visor colours! This pleases me. Emblems and stances are both lookin' good too. This game, man. This game.

My plan is to manage until Borderlands 2 is out. Then from there I'll wait for the FUD series. Then it's just a matter of going week by week. C'mon Novemberrrr.

Top Bottom