• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The worst announcements are easily "Road Triiiiip!" and "Enemy team scored." The first sounds like a line from Half Baked, and the second sounds like a line from Revenge of the Nerds.

Fotos

The worst announcements are easily "Road Triiiiip!" and "Enemy team scored." The first sounds like a line from Half Baked, and the second sounds like a line from Revenge of the Nerds.

Well Road Trip will rarely be heard because no one drives around with a full Warthog. But I have to agree with you on the "Enemy Team Scored" call

heckfu

Banned
Medals Pics or it didn't happen.
look! A red shirt! said:
fO9Qz.jpg
The beans...spill them

Well, I don't really know how to describe it? I'll put it this way, it took me nearly two years to get an assist spree in Reach and I know I got one in my third game and what I assume to be 10 assists in a row.

The last couple of OTs have gone past way too quickly. We'll probably be at least at |OT10| by launch.

OT assists are so much better now. When assists ~= kills you know you are being properly rewarded for team-work.

I get that distraction medals are funny and that bad players will get them but seriously, you have to take a step back and realise how deep this rabbit hole can go.

Can you imagine how in-depth a replay you can have with just the medals earned and the times they were earned? It's blowing my mind.

Let's jump straight to top tier playing. Look at any pro player's medals after a game. You can, within seconds, see how many noscopes they got as opposed to the more usual sniper kills. You could see the players who run the flags more often, the players who make the most out of each rocket and the players who teamshot.

You could see a little group of medals and immediately remember the gameplay associated with them. Say I make a run to the flag while you cover me with a Beam Rifle. I get two distraction medals and a close call while you get two Beam Rifle kills and a double kill.

In the long run, this robust stat tracking will be amazing if it can be displayed online effectively. I'll still dream for an API.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well, I don't really know how to describe it? I'll put it this way, it took me nearly two years to get an assist spree in Reach and I know I got one in my third game and what I assume to be 10 assists in a row.

Open and shut case.

I get that distraction medals are funny and that bad players will get them but seriously, you have to take a step back and realise how deep this rabbit hole can go.

Can you imagine how in-depth a replay you can have with just the medals earned and the times they were earned? It's blowing my mind.

Let's jump straight to top tier playing. Look at any pro player's medals after a game. You can, within seconds, see how many noscopes they got as opposed to the more usual sniper kills. You could see the players who run the flags more often, the players who make the most out of each rocket and the players who teamshot.

You could see a little group of medals and immediately remember the gameplay associated with them. Say I make a run to the flag while you cover me with a Beam Rifle. I get two distraction medals and a close call while you get two Beam Rifle kills and a double kill.

In the long run, this robust stat tracking will be amazing if it can be displayed online effectively. I'll still dream for an API.

Game JSON response object:
Code:
game : { 
    medals : [
        medal {
            count : 2,
            name : "Killing Spree",
            image-src : "http://assets.halowaypoint.com/halo4/medals/killing_spree.png",
            experience : 10,
            id : 42,
            occurrences : [
                occurrence : {
                    time-sig : 43.34,
                    on-player : "Der Flatulator6"
                },
                occurrence : {
                    time-sig : 185.57,
                    on-player : "Hydranockz"
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}

We can only dream....

In Tashi's defense, the first shirt pic was way more orange looking than the second picture.

http://i.imgur.com/usGSs.jpg[IMG]

Totally different colors![/QUOTE]

Hahahaha, awesome comparison shot. I was just jesting. Truth be told, I have the hardest time telling if a colour near cyan is more green or blue. There are limey greens which sometimes look more yellow. Sometimes there's even white coloured text I think is distracting but it really isn't.

It's a daily struggle!

Hahahaha, awesome comparison shot. I was just jesting. Truth be told, I have the hardest time telling if a colour near cyan is more green or blue. There are limey greens which sometimes look more yellow. Sometimes there's even white coloured text I think is distracting but it really isn't.

It's a daily struggle!

Yeah... I was walking by this shop that had a green-ish wallpaper, and I said pointed out something in the window, and my girlfriend asked which store, so I said "The one with the green wallpaper"

"That's chartreuse"

We then got into a debate about whether "chartreuse" is closer to green, or yellow.

auJvd.jpg

Protip:
GREEN.

Yeah... I was walking by this shop that had a green-ish wallpaper, and I said pointed out something in the window, and my girlfriend asked which store, so I said "The one with the green wallpaper"

"That's chartreuse"

We then got into a debate about whether "chartreuse" is closer to green, or yellow.

auJvd.jpg

Protip:
GREEN.

#CEFA05
Red = 206, Green = 250, Blue = 5.

TheOddOne

The idea behind the medals has always been about rewarding the player and incentivizing to play longer or be more effective playing to get them. This instant feedback system is not a bad way to keep people coming back to play the game.

The problem for me with Halo 4 is the sheer way they convey the medals. You’re getting feedback through a graphic icon, text in front of the screen and an announcer telling you what medal you just earned. That all feels like a huge overkill to be honest, because it feels cluttered and unnecessarily too much info.

Now add to that new medals and the ease to get them, it creates this busy atmosphere that may create annoyances in the future. Sound is very important in Halo, now with so much being added to the sandbox, it is really important that it doesn’t get too cluttered. Imagine not hearing another player using Promethean Vision, because you’re still getting medal information blasted to you from every angle.

That is mostly my observation from the videos and the information released so far. I acknowledge that because I’m observing I’m amplifying possible problems that may never ever occur or come up when actually playing myself. Take Call of Duty for example, the same feedback system is there and I’m not actually annoyed when playing it.

I’ll echo the sentiment that there should be a way to turn off the in-your-face text or tone down the announcer.

Didn't we find out a while ago there were 10 new weapons?

1. Scattershot
  2. Boltshot
  3. Lightrifle
  4. Binary rifle
  5. Incineration Cannon
  6. Pulse Grenade (not really a weapon)
  7. Suppressor
  8. Storm Rifle
  9. Railgun
  10. SAW
  11. Sticky Detonator
  12. "Weapon that is like nothing we've seen before"

That's quite a lot of new toys!

So Flatulator tried to make a list of the 10 new weapons, but have we figured out what this thing is yet?

Forerunner_SMG.png

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I envision a lot of people getting upset for getting the Distraction medal by being placed in a game that is about to end thanks to allowing players to join a match already in progress.

CyReN

Talking with Nexy for a bit about Halo 4 Pax, he said 343i nailed the starting weapons perfectly especially the lightrifle. This is great since the past few titles have had issues (BR spread, weak Carbine, DMR random bloom, etc).

Can't wait to play:)

The best armor set is missing from Halo 4

FbKbS.jpg

Hah, that would be kinda interesting.. Honestly, I am amazed we don't have a 'true Spartan' armor set:

I like Roadtrip, its so bizarre and its gonna be rare.. But enemy team scored sounds awful the way he says it.

In Tashi's defense, the first shirt pic was way more orange looking than the second picture.

usGSs.jpg

Totally different colors!

So, am I colorblind, or is my monitor off, cause those look the same. Like, a little, and I mean barely different due to lighting, but they look the same.

"That's chartreuse"

auJvd.jpg

Protip:
GREEN.

That is closer to yellow.

So Flatulator tried to make a list of the 10 new weapons, but have we figured out what this thing is yet?

Forerunner_SMG.png

Im gonna say that is an early version of the Incineration Cannon.

heckfu

Banned
I feel like I'm posting way too much but I keep remembering things.

One of the biggest complaints about reach was the progress bar for games not having a visual indicator of how many flag caps a team had, how close you were to winning a slayer game, etc.

And in this game as evidenced by the video Wu uploaded, the visual indicator is back!

Oh come on, it isn't all about the XP. You know you would love to never have gotten a distraction medal but now there is a chance you could get one just from bad luck.

Wouldn't care. It'd be next to impossible to never get one via random spawn kills. You also can't tell me you've never just died without even getting a shot off on an enemy.

I feel like I'm posting way too much but I keep remembering things.

One of the biggest complaints about reach was the progress bar for games not having a visual indicator of how many flag caps a team had, how close you were to winning a slayer game, etc.

And in this game as evidenced by the video Wu uploaded, the visual indicator is back!

Hey, remember when I got that snapshot on you with the binary rifle. Most satisfying weapon ever.

nillapuddin

AR, all 3
Sidearm, all 3
Rifle, all 3
Shotty, no covie
Snipe, all 3
Rocks, all 3
Alt Explosive, no protein
OHK melee, no protein
(unsc SAW doesn't "fit" nicely)

Are we expecting to see a wieldable protein melee weapon?

Will we finally see a plasma shotgun?

Protein nade launcher?

Obviously the only weapons left are 'power' weapons, so any one of these could come true?

Edit:

@heckfu

Your not posting to much, at least from my end, since I couldn't be there it's great to hear the little things from your experience

Forerunner_SMG.png

It's the Promethean Suppressor in an earlier stage. The Promethean SMG is also the Repeater which is the Suppressor (final), according to David Ellis' clarification.

AR, all 3
Sidearm, all 3
Rifle, all 3
Shotty, no covie
Snipe, all 3
Rocks, all 3
Alt Explosive, no protein
OHK melee, no protein
(unsc SAW doesn't "fit" nicely)

Are we expecting to see a wieldable protein melee weapon?

Will we finally see a plasma shotgun?

Protein nade launcher?

Obviously the only weapons left are 'power' weapons, so any one of these could come true?

I think my explanation sorts them out a bit more reasonably:

YRKW7.png

Rather than leaving lone weapons stuck in individual categories based on weapon type (shotgun, etc) they're based on range, function, primary/ordnance, stuff like that. It also means, barring Promethean equivalents, we're only missing about three or four weapons.

Yes you are. Those colors are like night and day.

Im really not seeing it.. Im gonna have to ask my GF in the morning if they are different colors or not to determine whether is me or my computer. I really am gonna have to guess its my computer since I usually thrive when identifying colors, haha.

It's the Promethean Suppressor in an earlier stage. The Promethean SMG is also the Repeater which is the Suppressor (final), according to David Ellis' clarification.

Eh, Im not so sure its that, in the same e3 media dump the Promethean Suppressor was present, and it looks the same as it does now. Im still gonna stick with that being the incarceration cannon.

Suppressor from the e3 shots:

QRVxO.jpg

nillapuddin

Wahrer Machine said:
ooh I'm a cat with glasses, look at my chart

Not a competition my dude, just wanted to point out the never present covie shotgun, potential protein nade launcher/melee weapon

Do you expect to see any of them?

Btw: I'm being completely silly with your cat, not mad bro

Top Bottom