• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Well Shadowrun itself stretches further back than that. It's a Dungeons and Dragons spinoff that originated in 1989 that spawned numerous video games. (NES, SNES, Genesis).

It's an interesting universe, shame the recent 360 game was so blah.

Don't forget Sega Mega-CD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzt8YU24OU

I never played the FPS game but I'm vaguely pissed at it because I can blame it for bloom in Reach. Although I hear the bloom worked a lot better in Shadowrun.

Sai-kun

Banned
Bút now back to the HaloGAF vs. 343i match, you should ask Sai-Kun what I did with the TP in the match. His mind freaked out and his mouth went down just because of the magic tricks I managed to perform.

My mind totally freaked out at some of the shit you were pulling.

Fact: Hyper was ROLLING folks in that game, for real. Dodging shit left and right.

i wasnt a gamer from 2005 to 2009
Ah, but what about the early '90s?!

Don't forget Sega Mega-CD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzt8YU24OU

I never played the FPS game but I'm vaguely pissed at it because I can blame it for bloom in Reach. Although I hear the bloom worked a lot better in Shadowrun.
The concept of bloom in general works in games where headshots matter at any point in the battle. When you can get that first accurate shot off properly that makes all the difference. In Reach, the shielding buffer completely ruins that concept, they're completely contradictory mechanics.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
From simply its name to it being the first helmet in the list and the icon for the armory in general at PAX, I'm definitely getting the impression the Recruit is the default armor.

Yeah, then there's the "recruit" pose too.

The issue here is the LE and Console edition were announced with armor AND skin exclusives. In some places it's still worded like that, and in some places even the console bonuses are listed as only skins.

There needs to be clarification on this, and we aren't getting any.

I thought the PAX demo made it pretty obvious that it is just the skin.

How would that make it ovbious? By your logic FOTUS is obviously just a skin with the console too.

Silly.Mikey thinks the Thruster Pack seems useless. I think he refers to the HaloGAF vs. 343i match. Let me clarify: It is not. Thruster Pack is the best addition in Halo 4. I love it. I miss it already. The Thruster Pack is definitely the new evade, just better and more balanced. It covers only 1/3 of the distance. What should you do with it? I am thinking TP is the perfect and best way to get out of Grenade's detonation zone. I used it for that purpose the most times. If you know the map, you can use to get into cover. At the beginning, I got stuck in geometry or the cover was to far away for the TP. But after I knew the map, I saved my ass many many times.

Bút now back to the HaloGAF vs. 343i match, you should ask Sai-Kun what I did with the TP in the match. His mind freaked out and his mouth went down just because of the magic tricks I managed to perform.
Love this. TP sounds about the top dominant AA in my list so far. Your impressions of it brings me joy! #ThrusterPackEnthusiast

I hope they consider bringing TP back to first person before release, it seems like the one I'll be resorting to but that quick third person to first person snap is nauseating.

My favorite use of the Thruster Pack was while jumping. It just feels awesome to jump forward, then blast over the gap and land safely. The limited range will limit this use, but it was fun and kept maps flowing well.
I enjoyed the moments when somebody had threw a grenade to me and I'd been midair. I did a push with the thruster pack and swups I was safe.

SNES and Genesis game were equally great.

Shadowrun Returns has some of the same great people working on it, they even got the same composer's to both work on it. It will play like a Tactics game from what I've read I believe.

Tunavi

Banned
So you came back to...Finish The Fight.
oh I think we're just gettin started

remember when you guys were confused as to why I loved the reach beta? well it was the first time I ever experienced a halo game coming out, so thats why I was a bit excited, heh

Feels like telling you when you can fire again, with the exception of EXTREME ranges. In almost all combat with it, bloom is not a factor at all.
Thank you for the response, Mr. Uhas. Cyren and Biggy, thanks for the video. I'm watching it now. Finally, Ghaleon, your impressions were great to read. I've added the last part to the OP.

Vire

So what's everyone planning to do with the campaign?

Savor every moment and try and elongate it as much as possible, or blast through it all in one marathon session after the midnight launch?

nillapuddin

Savor every moment and try and elongate it as much as possible, or blast through it all in one marathon session after the midnight launch?

I tried to play like 2 missions a night for Reach, had to mix in MP with the guys and forge

but... 4 campaign looks to damn good, might have to quicken the pace

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

Heroic straight through at midnight, I usually end up making it a little more than half way through, pass out, then wake up finish it and be ready for MP that night.

Yeah, then there's the "recruit" pose too.

The issue here is the LE and Console edition were announced with armor AND skin exclusives. In some places it's still worded like that, and in some places even the console bonuses are listed as only skins.

There needs to be clarification on this, and we aren't getting any.

How would that make it ovbious? By your logic FOTUS is obviously just a skin with the console too.

Uh, no. In the PAX build there was only one FOTUS, no skin. There were two Recruits, the default and the PRIME skin that comes with the LE.

JHall

I blast through every Halo campaign the night it comes out on Legendary. After that, I'll go into multiplayer. I'll occasionally go back to campaign depending on the achievements I missed.

The longer you drag it out, the more inevitably gets spoiled. I don't really like playing it Legendary Solo first time out - hard to have fun with the difficulty that high. I will probably play it Solo Heroic or Co-Op Heroic while I play multiplayer...Legendary Solo comes later.

Vire

The longer you drag it out, the more inevitably gets spoiled. I don't really like playing it Legendary Solo first time out - hard to have fun with the difficulty that high. I will probably play it Solo Heroic or Co-Op Heroic while I play multiplayer...Legendary Solo comes later.

Indeed, it's a tricky balance.

What I tend to do is after the midnight launch, I'll get home, play the first mission on Heroic and then head to bed dreaming of the possibilities that come afterwords.

I then play around 2-3 missions a day after that and finish up by the end of a work week. If the campaign is really good though and sucks me in, I might end up playing longer sessions...

Normal repeatedly until I get familiar enough with it to try for Legendary.
I don't know when I'll go into MP, as this will be the first time I've ever had Live around release.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Blasting through on Normal in one night for sure.

PAX is coming to an end (who am I kidding, it's over!) and I'd like to extend a very big thank you to all the GAFers who I met throughout the weekend. mastrbiggy, Heckfu, Tashi, Domino, Hypertrooper, and others i'm sure i'm forgetting (and apologize for doing so, I must have met 100+ people this weekend).

You guys are awesome, and a big part of the reason I love the Halo Community so much.

- DK

Great meeting you! The Halo community is the best community.

Co-op on Heroic until we beat it, then go into Forge to check out all the maps before playing MM.

EDIT: And perhaps play a Spartan Ops mission or two after that.

I don't really care about Halo stories (and most video game stories for that matter) so I don't really need to soak it in. If I go to a midnight launch I'll just play as much of the campaign on Heroic as I can stay awake for and just take in all the encounters and atmosphere as it comes.

Talents

Banned

Probably play a bit of campaign first, then go into custom games/forge to try and figure out the spawns and stuff.

Solo heroic ->co-op legendary -> solo legendary -> versus -> spartan ops -> solo heroic -> versus -> spartan ops -> rinse, repeat.

TheOddOne

Closing Thoughts

Games like Halo take time to judge properly, and it's doubly hard at public events like PAX to do so. But the game made a strong first impression on me, and I don't think that is likely to turn around after it ships. My immediate reaction to Reach was pretty negative, and looking back, it was for all the same reasons it remains so.

Halo 4 plays like Halo, with changes around the edges but not to the core of combat (which is what Reach did). The gunplay is extremely strong, and there's an emphasis on it that prevents the game from degenerating into a melee and grenade spam fest. I'm very worried about a number of elements - map set ups, ordnance, armor mods, cluttered UI and sound design - but even with all these things in the mix, the game was simply fun to play, and it played, for the most part, like Halo should; in the end, that's what really matters.
Thanks Ghal for the impressions! Always like reading your well thought out posts.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What does he mean by "plasma tvs, no good for twitch shooters"?

I thought most modern plasmas have faster display times than many LCDs?

About two thirds of the LCDs at PAX were set up wrong on day one, with every single motion smoothing/blurring/lagging feature turned on. Fixed on day two.

Beckx

What does he mean by "plasma tvs, no good for twitch shooters"?

I thought most modern plasmas have faster display times than many LCDs?

Input lag. The image processing on modern TVs - whether Plasma or LCD (or if you're dealing with projectors, DLP or LCD) - will create lag.

As general rules go, Plasmas are better than LCD. When I switched from my Panasonic Viera plasma to a Samsung 55D8000 LCD I was *horrified* by what was happening. I'd never really encountered input lag before, and the Samsung generates a delay of > 100ms unless game mode is on. Reach was unplayable - I'd start to move, and have no control of my Spartan. My guess is that the Panasonic was doing less image processing (and needed less b/c of plasma tech).

I'm glad I encountered the issue, though, because I'm installing a projector right now and getting low input lag was critical. Unlike when I bought my LCD, I knew to research in advance.

Bottom line: for competitive play, CRT is still unmatched. I feel for the 343 guys getting unknown screens at venues, because god only knows what lag issues it will create, and input lag is still relatively unknown among gamers, so they will tend to blame the company, not the TV. I mentioned the issue on an HBO thread only to have a few posters claim that it was essentially a myth and did not impact performance. I need to invite those guys over to try the Samsung some time.

Edits: clarity.

I don't really care about Halo stories (and most video game stories for that matter) so I don't really need to soak it in. If I go to a midnight launch I'll just play as much of the campaign on Heroic as I can stay awake for and just take in all the encounters and atmosphere as it comes.
I don't know if I can ever like you.

Fuchsdh

Input lag. The image processing on modern TVs - whether Plasma or LCD (or if you're dealing with projectors, DLP or LCD) - will create lag.

As general rules go, Plasmas are better than LCD. When I switched from my Panasonic Viera plasma to a Samsung 55D8000 LCD I was *horrified* by what was happening. I'd never really encountered input lag before, and the Samsung generates a delay of > 100ms unless game mode is on. Reach was unplayable - I'd start to move, and have no control of my Spartan. My guess is that the Panasonic was doing less image processing (and needed less b/c of plasma tech).

I'm glad I encountered the issue, though, because I'm installing a projector right now and getting low input lag was critical. Unlike when I bought my LCD, I knew to research in advance.

Bottom line: for competitive play, CRT is still unmatched. I feel for the 343 guys getting unknown LCD screens at venues, because god only knows what lag issues it will create, and input lag is still relatively unknown among gamers, so they will tend to blame the company, not the TV. I mentioned the issue on an HBO thread only to have a few posters claim that it was essentially a myth and did not impact performance. I need to invite those guys over to try the Samsung some time.
I know the Samsung I'm using isn't *horrible*, but is there a way of measuring input lag? (I assume I'm less affected because I have a smaller screen.)

Do plasmas still have the burn in issues?

About two thirds of the LCDs at PAX were set up wrong on day one, with every single motion smoothing/blurring/lagging feature turned on. Fixed on day two.

Ah, geez, I played a quick tournament once that was set up like that. It was hell.

Input lag. The image processing on modern TVs - whether Plasma or LCD (or if you're dealing with projectors, DLP or LCD) - will create lag. As general rules go, Plasmas are better than LCD.

I bought a Panny Plasma b/c I'd heard this as well. I guess Eli was saying something else; I'd never heard anyone say Plasmas specifically were worse than LCD for input lag.

Do plasmas still have the burn in issues?

They can get 'image retention' (very temporary burn-in: seconds or minutes), but I don't think they really get true burn-in through normal use anymore. That's excluding watching the same news channel all day with your TV in torch mode, for instance.

Top Bottom