• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Ryaaan14

Banned
About two thirds of the LCDs at PAX were set up wrong on day one, with every single motion smoothing/blurring/lagging feature turned on. Fixed on day two.

What's the deal with the tvs consistently being set-up wrong at these events? Are the employees of the venue responsible for setting up all this stuff and just don't know how games work? Seems cray cray it happens so much.

wwm0nkey

I know the Samsung I'm using isn't *horrible*, but is there a way of measuring input lag? (I assume I'm less affected because I have a smaller screen.)

Do plasmas still have the burn in issues?

All screens have that issue but not as bad as it was awhile ago. Also if you have a LCD most (Not all) screens will shut down every post processing effect if you set the input label to PC. Doesn't work on every TV but it worked wonders on my LG.

Beckx

I know the Samsung I'm using isn't *horrible*, but is there a way of measuring input lag? (I assume I'm less affected because I have a smaller screen.)

You can measure the lag by getting a clock app that displays in ms on your laptop, and then outputting from your laptop to your TV. Take a photo showing both screens - the gap in the two clocks will give a good read on input lag (provided that your laptop's screen isn't generating input lag itself!). You can probably get some links on avsforum to clock apps.

It's funny - it's a high end issue in some ways. Lower end screens that do less image processing will have less lag.

The holy terror are devices that have lag and don't have game mode. A lot of the Epson projectors have this problem.

Bottom line: when buying a TV or projector, search the model and "input lag" and see what you find.

Plasmas still have burn in issues. My Viera never had a problem but I took care of it. I read in the gaming side "Capcom Famitsu Announcement" thread that some people got burn in from long Dragon's Dogma sessions. Reminds me of when Pong caused CRT burn-in and Atari touted their new tech that would avoid burn in by cycling colors.

I don't know if I can ever like you.
That's okay, I'm used to that. I don't delve into the fiction outside of the games so what actually is presented in-game hasn't really done much for me, green space marine that spouts cheese has to fight off multicoloured aliens to not activate something that kills everything because of space zombies. Oh and sometimes there are hidden things to find that are so obtuse in presentation that they're effectively nonsense if you've only played the games. I'm sure you can get really into these things if you consume a lot of the fiction outside of the game, but solely going by the games so far the stories mean nothing to me other than to give me context for my actions. That's completely okay though, I don't need anything more out of the fun arcadey shootbang experience I enjoy out of it. I get more out of the music and environment design than whatever narrative that's being woven.

It's a pain in the ass to test for input lag, but people tend to clone output to a CRT/near lagless display and the LCD they're trying to test and take pictures of the screen with a stopwatch program running. Like this:

8LO9S.jpg

Though every panel is different, never think the level of input lag is consistent across a brand. TVs in general have some lag, regardless of PC modes and other settings to reduce post-processing, but there are some sub 1 frame outliers that are pretty good. Though since this HD generation I've done my gaming on monitors and monitors alone, they're far easier to search for when it comes to near lagless displays.

I mentioned the issue on an HBO thread only to have a few posters claim that it was essentially a myth and did not impact performance. I need to invite those guys over to try the Samsung some time.

qVefn.gif

How is this not common knowledge, especially amongst FPS players, in this day and age?

heckfu

Banned
For those not at PAX, I caught David Ellis humping* another man.

First to answer who it was gets an ONI patch (and if David chimes in I keep the answer secret!).

*but not really

neoism

CyReN
Has a massive penis
(Today, 04:38 PM)

Technically, this installation's pulse has a maximum effective radius of up to 25,000 light years.

But you already knew that. I mean... how couldn't you?

fuck you, guilty spark, got me running around the Library for this shit

The shield seems more useful than I thought....

S1kkZ

has 343 talked about the european versions at all? will we get the english dub this time or is it french/italian/german... only?

i shudder when i think about the german voice of cortana. its a disaster.

Top Bottom