• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Shadders

I too have a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD. I think the difference in response time is most noticeable in Rock Band, unplayable when switching from the Plasma to the LCD. Fortunately Rock Band has an option to sync the game to your TV.

What sort of settings should I be changing to get the best performance from my Samsung LCD?

JHall

Perhaps AA is low(er) on it.

Here is what I don't even understand from you guys. Let's say you both are using the LR, one of you is using the stability perk (we don't even know if this removes knock out completely, or just lessens it), do you want to lose a fight because he has a 1 shot advantage over you due to a perk he picked? Let's say you both have stability, I'm assuming it can possibly still be knocked out of scope sometimes. He stays scope in, you get the random knockout, he wins again even if you start shooting at the same time.

My%2Bhead%2Bis%2Bfull%2Bof%2Bcaffeine%2B_208df60afab81b2f40f643ab6a165963.jpg

Ok can someone straighten this out for me. Do you get knocked out of scope at all? From the gameplay I've seen you don't, you just flinch. So I'm guessing with the Stability perk, you flinch less.

Ramirez

Ok can someone straighten this out for me. Do you get knocked out of scope at all? From the gameplay I've seen you don't, you just flinch. So I'm guessing with the Stability perk, you flinch less.

Sad that we don't know this stuff 2 months out...

Wait, is it a 5 shot kill, or a 5 bullet kill as in 5 bullets out of 2 bursts connecting?

It doesn't make sense that it would be a 4 bullet kill versus a 15 bullet kill.

It does if the gun contains multiple forms of ammunition.

We don't know what it fires but its safe to assume its some form of better adapted plasma rounds. Its not a far stretch to assume then we the option for single shot is toggled forerunner magic can focus the plasma for a more deadly shot.

u4iX

I too have a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD. I think the difference in response time is most noticeable in Rock Band, unplayable when switching from the Plasma to the LCD. Fortunately Rock Band has an option to sync the game to your TV.

What sort of settings should I be changing to get the best performance from my Samsung LCD?

ASUS 2ms response time is all I can play games on now...

That or a CRT.

I'd probably just play around with the settings finding what's most comfortable and natural for you.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I forgot to mention something I was daydreaming about the other day.

How amazing would it be if Spartan Ops had a mission where it begins as a round of Infinity Slayer on a particular map, obviously with AI opponents (or teammates if not doing co-op), business as usual. And after about 30 seconds of gameplay, the environment starts to become distorted and glitchy, sounds become muffled and staticy, even the announcer could get a creepy distortion in his voice. Soon after, the environment blacks out, and you actually find yourself in the simulation area of the Infinity and the ship has made impact on Requiem and disrupted the simulation system, things around you are burning and destroyed. At this point you rush to evacuate the Infinity in typical Halo fashion as Covenant or Prometheans attempt to infiltrate the ship.

Shit would be amazing.

Wow, you guys are both wrong.
Here is what I don't even understand from you guys. Let's say you both are using the LR, one of you is using the stability perk (we don't even know if this removes knock out completely, or just lessens it), do you want to lose a fight because he has a 1 shot advantage over you due to a perk he picked? Let's say you both have stability, I'm assuming it can possibly still be knocked out of scope sometimes. He stays scope in, you get the random knockout, he wins again even if you start shooting at the same time.

There is no knock out. The perk reduced kick/flinch when take shots while scoped in.

Nerf away, it's stupid that one of the rifles is some how a magical 4SK in scope. Has the range of the DMR, no bloom, & a 4SK? lol
Magic? The thing shoots hard light or something, it's the only weapon that kind of functionality makes sense for. The rates of fire between scoped and unscoped are different. Please don't nerf, it looks like they already nerfed the carbine from the e3 build.

And yes, the BR should still be a 4 shot. You can even slightly decrease the RoF if you want to keep the kill time the same.

Trey

My%2Bhead%2Bis%2Bfull%2Bof%2Bcaffeine%2B_208df60afab81b2f40f643ab6a165963.jpg

In your first scenario, you wouldn't necessarily lose that fight because whatever perk you picked in stability's stead should give you an advantage too.

And getting knocked out of scope is random now? No bueno. I can't even properly assess the second scenario.

edit: thank you based steely.

This is very random but: I love how my screencap of the Mark VI helmet made it into the collage.
I love how that screencap of the Mark VI is me. Unless someone else in the second game started using Mark VI on our team, but I'm fairly certain I was the only one using Mark VI during both games.

To anyone that played at PAX.

How is not getting knocked out of scope when being shot? I still find this very strange. It's been one of the most consistent things throughout the Halo series multiplayer.
It's great, I love it. Aiming is now paramount to winning longer range battles, not who got the drop on who.

And you don't get knocked out of scope period. You flinch, the perk reduces flinching. By how much, I don't know, never used it.

So is there any reason not to use the DMR? It seems so absurdly powerful in Halo 4, I don't see why anyone would ever choose a different starting weapon. It's powerful, really accurate, and has a decent-sized clip. Even at mid-range, it seems as though it performs better than the BR.

I really hope it doesn't become the go-to weapon after release. I'd love to see some variety.
The DMR does not hold up against the BR in mid/close range. I don't know if it's the rate of fire or what, but it's not equal. DMR dongs on Exile and larger maps though.

I've got a couple questions for the PAX-goers: What game is the arc of the grenades most like? And can you launch plasma grenades off other plasma grenades again?
I can't say for sure which game it's closest to, but you don't get as much distance as in previous games. You're going to have to lob your nades higher for more distance. No idea about plasma grenade launching, not exactly something you can test out on the show floor.

The Halo Cards Against Humanity community is the coolest community. Count Cockula 4 life!
Count Cockula and Louis Wu's Gloryholes will go down in history.

PAX is coming to an end (who am I kidding, it's over!) and I'd like to extend a very big thank you to all the GAFers who I met throughout the weekend. mastrbiggy, Heckfu, Tashi, Domino, Hypertrooper, and others i'm sure i'm forgetting (and apologize for doing so, I must have met 100+ people this weekend).

You guys are awesome, and a big part of the reason I love the Halo Community so much.

- DK
Not sure if I ran into you at PAX, but I was with Heckfu and co. for pretty much the entire weekend so chances are I did. So if I did, it was nice to meet you too!

I gave all my extra ONI patches to Hypertrooper so anyone that gets one from him is obligated to thank me as well.

If you don't then my feelings will be hurt.

IHaveIce

Banned
I gave all my extra ONI patches to Hypertrooper so anyone that gets one from him is obligated to thank me as well.

If you don't then my feelings will be hurt.
So Hyper has patches.. here in Germany.. good to know, good to know indeed.

As we can see NC is separated from the rest of America by a rectangle of some sort. Red to some, orange red to others.

I laughed pretty hard at this lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Uh, no. In the PAX build there was only one FOTUS, no skin. There were two Recruits, the default and the PRIME skin that comes with the LE.

Yeah, there's only 1 problem with that. The console exclusive is FOTUS armor AND a skin too, so apparently that wasn't there. I don't k ow why it's so hard for frank/Ellis to simply clear this up (or anyone from 343). The lack of response leads me to believe there is no armor with the LE and it's just a skin, but they don't want to say that in fear of losing sales. If this is the case and noone says shit, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off customers/fans.

heckfu

Banned
Alison Stroll just posted on Twitter a pretty big fat news bomb that Halo 4 will be at NYCC.

Unless she is just TERRIBLE at wording things.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yeah, there's only 1 problem with that. The console exclusive is FOTUS armor AND a skin too, so apparently that wasn't there. I don't k ow why it's so hard for frank/Ellis to simply clear this up (or anyone from 343). The lack of response leads me to believe there is no armor with the LE and it's just a skin, but they don't want to say that in fear of losing sales. If this is the case and noone says shit, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off customers/fans.

Oh what the fuck? The LE console may only get a SKIN for the unicorn armor?

I agree we need some serious clarification sooner than later. :_\

Vire

Alison Stroll just posted on Twitter a pretty big fat news bomb that Halo 4 will be at NYCC.

Unless she is just TERRIBLE at wording things.

Hmm... New York I could reasonably get to.

I don't have much interest in the other comic-con stuff besides Halo though.

How does a gun do more or less damage if your Spartan puts his/her eye up to the scope?

I guess the conceit is that he or she is more accurate.

Okay, see the losing sales thing was what I was asking earlier. You said their silence spoke volumes, and now I see where you're going with that. Sounds like they have a viable reason to keep quiet about it - they don't want to hose LE sales by revealing that it's not a great deal over normal + season pass.

Overdoziz

Banned
BY THE WAY

How many kills are there in an Energy Sword in Halo 4?
In previous games (lol Halo 2) it has always been way too much. 10 'shots' without the possibility of missing any is crazy. The Shotgun and Gravity Hammer also have a huge amount of ammo. The Shotgun has what, 20 shots in it? I don't know exactly about the Gravity Hammer but I'm pretty sure it has more juice in it than the Energy Sword. By the time that you run out of ammo with any of the CQC power weapons the next one will have a spawned already (obviously this is different with the new retarded weapon drop system).

It's pretty crazy how many kills you can get with them before you run out of ammo compared to other power weapons.
-Rockets is probably around 3 or 4 kills each time?
-Sniper would probably be similar to that (depending on the map).
-Grenade Launcher is most likely very low because everyone sucks with it so much that 343 thought it would be a good idea to remove the best weapon in Halo history and replace it with a shitty wanna-be GL that has grenade that stick to surfaces look poop and can only be used in defensive ways instead of offensive like with the most awesome weapon of all time: the Grenade Launcher.
-Focus Rifle is about -1 kills.
-Concussion Rifle around 2 killed people and 10 annoyed ones.
-Plasma Launcher maybe a vehicle and a half.

And then there's the CQC power weapons:
-Energy Sword is 10 kills every time because you can't miss any 'shots'
-Shotgun would probably be around the same area? Maybe a bit more? I'd say about 1 kill per 2-3 shots sounds about right.
-Gravity Hammer should be around the same amount too. You can waste juice but in most cases people only swing the hammer when the reticule is red anyway which ensures a kill.

If I was in charge of Halo 4...
...well if I was in charge there wouldn't be any CQC power weapons. Anyway, if I could decide the amount of ammo that CQC weapons would have I'd say that the Sword should have 4 kills in it, the Shotgun 8-10 shells and the Gravity hammer 6 swings. That sounds about right. This is mainly meant to balance it out with gametypes that use radar because it's much easier to get kills with CQC weapons with it on.

Point is: bring back the Grenade Launcher.

Top Bottom