• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

heckfu

Banned
I think I'll pick up some Turtle Beaches tonight and see how I like them in comparison.

For PAXers and Frank, the ones at the booth were just stereo right?

I think I'll pick up some Turtle Beaches tonight and see how I like them in comparison.

Microsoft Booth (Halo 4 CTF/Regicide). Yes, they were stereo ones. The MadCatz booth had 2 station with the Warhead headsets.

FyreWulff

Speaking of Reach under-the-hood stuff, was it ever explained how Reach added the Noble and Defiant achievements without a title update? That was the first time I ever saw a 360 title do that.

Were they actually added somehow (w/ Megalo used to activate them, hence the magic gametypes that will let you get them in customs) or was there a premade set of achievements that each DLC could choose to turn on?

Finally, who the hell's idea was it to add new Defiant achievements with Anniversary and then require Anniversary to unlock them?

wwm0nkey

I would say that is a matter of opinion based on how much you care about surround sound. My A40s have far more depth and directional sound that my stereo headphones.

Speaking of A40s, I'm about to take pics and box them up to sell. I want to get the A50s.

If I had to rate headsets

Astro > Tritton > Turtle Beach > random 3rd party

Karl2177

Speaking of Reach under-the-hood stuff, was it ever explained how Reach added the Noble and Defiant achievements without a title update? That was the first time I ever saw a 360 title do that.

Were they actually added somehow (w/ Megalo used to activate them, hence the magic gametypes that will let you get them in customs) or was there a premade set of achievements that each DLC could choose to turn on?

Finally, who the hell's idea was it to add new Defiant achievements with Anniversary and then require Anniversary to unlock them?

These questions and more in tonight's 60 Minutes.
*tickticktickticktick*

They had the 7.1s at the Spartan Ops booth, but stereo only at the war games booth.

The stereo ones look great and produce fairly robust soundscapes, but I really don't think the stereo headsets will do Sotaro's work much justice.

Astro's MixAmp combined with a headset like the Senn PC350 is pretty awesome, but wired. In my experience the build quality of Astro and Tritton headsets have been pretty bad, breaking within months.

Check the headphone thread in OT for suggestions.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Astro's MixAmp combined with a headset like the Senn PC350 is pretty awesome, but wired. In my experience the build quality of Astro and Tritton headsets have been pretty bad, breaking within months.

My Astros have held up perfectly. I am very kind to them though, I never take them anywhere.

The stereo ones look great and produce fairly good sound, but I really don't think the stereo headsets will do Sotaro's work much justice.
This. But if you are having a 5.1/7.1 Surround sound system, you won't need a 7.1/5.1 headset. The only reason I'd consider a 7.1/5.1 headset is a) if you don't have a 5.1/7.1 surround sound system or b) if you want to play till the night without disturbing someone or losing audio quality.

senador

Banned
Oh god, if you aren't gaming with a minimum of a 5.1 surround sound stereo you are missing the fuck out. Even a nice 2 channel stereo with some bass is worlds better than TV sound.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

That's my exact setup. Love it to pieces.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even a nice 2 channel stereo with some bass is worlds better than TV sound.
Yeah, I've been using two cheapo computer speakers with a subwoofer for years, but they've recently started getting crackly and tinny. No bueno. I've been looking at getting a pair of headsets, but haven't made the plunge yet.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Astros are good if you want to be bounded down by chains in 2012.

Msg me for a set of BXR A40's 200$. Like new.
Love my A50's what chains are you talking about?
7DD73017-C149-4090-82D4-8D504681E077-163-00000008545CB6FC.jpg

Love my A50's what chains are you talking about?
7DD73017-C149-4090-82D4-8D504681E077-163-00000008545CB6FC.jpg

Mic chat wire. What did A50s do put the clip thing into the headset piece?

Oh the A40s I have have the wireless mixamp thing too btw, buts then there is a receiver piece that wires into the headset and controls volume and voice/game mix lol. You can like clip it onto your belt but you still have shit on you. Plus the mic chat cable if you want to communicate. Its the worst solution to a problem.

senador

Banned
Yeah, I've been using two cheapo computer speakers with a subwoofer for years, but they've recently started getting crackly and tinny. No bueno. I've been looking at getting a pair of headsets, but haven't made the plunge yet.

Surround is the shit for several reasons. Usually when you hit that level the sound quality goes up too so everything sounds better anyway. Its also awesome to have locations based sound. It can actually help you play better when you can hear what direction gun fire is coming from, or hear someone coming up behind you. Its terrifying though when you play games like Dead Space.

Oh the A40s I have have the wireless mixamp thing too btw, buts then there is a receiver piece that wires into the headset and controls volume and voice/game mix lol. You can like clip it onto your belt but you still have shit on you. Plus the mic chat cable if you want to communicate. Its the worst solution to a problem.

Mixamp is in the headset on the A50s, and the wireless receiver. You only have the cord from headset to controller because of stupid patent bullshit.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Oh the A40s I have have the wireless mixamp thing too btw, buts its just a receiver piece that wires into the headset lol. You can like clip it onto your belt but you still have shit on you. Plus the mic chat cable if you want to communicate. Its the worst solution to a problem.
For 360 you have to use the chat cable( I don't mind) but for ps3 it's totally wireless.

For 360 you have to use the chat cable( I don't mind) but for ps3 it's totally wireless.

Yea the A50s are one cable down which is nice unfortunately I bought A40s before A50s came out...

I'm looking at the TB X300s only cause they have wireless everything even mic chat.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Yea the A50s are one cable down which is nice unfortunately I bought A40s before A50s came out...

I'm looking at the TB X300s only cause they have wireless everything even mic chat.
I had the TB XP500 sound quality was awful and that interference...don't get me started I returned them to the store in less then 24h

Recarpo

Do you use a wired or wireless 360 controller with the a50s? I've tried using a wireless controller with my a40s and it tends to freak out at times and sends really loud beeping to anybody I'm playing with. Doesn't happen with a wired controller, though and I'd like a headset that doesn't do that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So did my write-up help anyone? :p

Anyways, my Astro A50s are fantastic. Only wire needed is the chat wire from the controller to the headset.

Top Bottom