• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

The Bulletin made it sound like options to change the Flag Carrier traits will be in at launch. If those options are:
Flagnum: on/off
Juggling: on/off
Movement Speed

Doesn't that pretty much cover it for creating "old school" CTF? It seemed like bsangel was just saying that the normal playlists would be sticking to new CTF for the foreseeable future.

movement speed, gravity, damage boost, waypoint, ability energy, etc. traits like that
they plainly said the ability to drop flag will not be in at launch.

happy bday gifmaster!

CyReN

This is what i got out of the article

-Really changed an important part of CTF
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -No!

-Really changed an important part in Grifball
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -Yes!

I've seen this post somewhere before;)

but props to 343i for working with Grifball closely.

If so: there is no way it can be a direct remake since it's so cramped, and not very long, either. With sprint, not even including the ability to make it unlimited, would make runs from base to mid happen within seconds. It would need high necessary changes for both its width and length, not to mention the middle was a clusterfuck with just a wild spread BR. Now it's something far more accurate. Might be a decent size for your typical 5v5 CTF, but if they want a BTB, go with something larger.

Agreed, I didn't even really think about size, just that hill and VERY strong precision weapons in this game. The size is a good point as well though, you can sprint for a long time in H4, Exile didn't feel remotely large when playing.

Happy Birthday Xeno!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Edit.

Happy

Birthday

Plywood

Wobble
This is what it feels like to be acknowledged by a celebrity and that is my slurp, slurp.

But seriously HaloGAF thanks for putting up with my bullshit and accepting my .gif dumps even when they set your phones on fire.

This is what it feels like to be acknowledged by a celebrity and that is my slurp, slurp.

But seriously HaloGAF thanks for putting up with my bullshit and accepting my .gif dumps even when they set your phones on fire.

werwequvt.gif

End of the bulletin, vid next week. Probably Covenant or Promethean sandbox vid.

Is there any confirmation that the Forge spaces are separate from the (10?) maps included with the game?
--
I think Containment would be pretty cool as the remake map. We've already seen Blood Gulch remade 2.5 times.

Caja 117

This is what i got out of the article

-Really changed an important part of CTF
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -No!

-Really changed an important part in Grifball
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -Yes!

I wouldn't compare what they did to grifball to CTF, with CTF they want to introduce a new and universal way of Playing CTF, from a perspective they actually gave more emphasis on CTF than they did to Grifball.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

Will put up with your .gif dumps for forever, they silence haters in gaming side like it's their job.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

That's seriously one of the stupidest complaints ever. Every other shooter has the text notification of XP and no one complains about it there. Not only that, but in the middle of gamepaly, it's un-noticable, even in a game like Battlefield 3 where DICE is face fucking you with it every second.

Track 1 for HaloGAF [Vol. 1] is up for free.

Sans one or two audio mixing adjustments, it's the final version. The entire album will be uploaded on Bandcamp when it's completed and I'll provide a link, I can't say when exactly to expect it to be released. However, a few track names include:

Splintered Legacy (Remastered)
Theme of Team Warwood
Ballad of the Beard
Suite Stinkles
And, if Sai's up for it, then Sai's Slay-A-Long Song.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't compare what they did to grifball to CTF, with CTF they want to introduce a new and universal way of Playing CTF, from a perspective they actually gave more emphasis on CTF than they did to Grifball.
Yeah, but the point is that there's not options for creating classic CTF in customs, yet there is for Grifball. 343's new CTF looks like a blast, but why does that mean we are completely blocked from playing classic CTF?

They pushed their gametype onto the consumer, rather than listen to the consumer and have it as an option.

Forcing their changes onto the consumer is not a good way to establish a name within multiple communities.

Karl2177

If they are doing a CTF playlist that only has 2 Flag, you can pretty much predict that the map will be symmetric. That eliminates quite a few maps and adding the outdoors throws out a few as well. Waterworks is probably out because of the outdoors thing and Relic is out because of the symmetricality. They've said that they wanted to leave remakes for maps that aren't on the 360, whether this was for Reach DLC or in general we don't know. I'd take a shot at Containment. It's big, it's outdoors, it's symmetric, it's good for flag.

Yes, Forge Environments are environments, not War Games maps.

Good to hear, that's what I figured. I'm excited to see the other two spaces.

If they are doing a CTF playlist that only has 2 Flag, you can pretty much predict that the map will be symmetric. That eliminates quite a few maps and adding the outdoors throws out a few as well. Waterworks is probably out because of the outdoors thing and Relic is out because of the symmetricality. They've said that they wanted to leave remakes for maps that aren't on the 360, whether this was for Reach DLC or in general we don't know. I'd take a shot at Containment. It's big, it's outdoors, it's symmetric, it's good for flag.

I can see this happening. Sidewinder and Gulch have been done. It's time for that other two-bases-in-a-box canyon map to come back.

That's seriously one of the stupidest complaints ever. Every other shooter has the text notification of XP and no one complains about it there. Not only that, but in the middle of gamepaly, it's un-noticable, even in a game like Battlefield 3 where DICE is face fucking you with it every second.

Battlefield 3 literally takes a dump with rows upon rows of text on the screen all the time, and I've never heard a complaint about it (including from me, and I play all the time). Halo 4 has one line of text on the screen and people freak out like they took guns out of the game.

These trivial complaints about the game that have nothing to do with gameplay, or really people's experience with playing the game at all are getting old.

So, sounds like Valhalla may be the remake map and we may get Hero Awakens Part 2 next week. Cool.

Im gonna assume that like the armor, the weapons at PAX were the whole set. On another note, Happy Birthday Plywood!

Will there be a way to disable auto-pickup for Flag/Oddball? -CyReN CE

At launch and in the launch playlists, we will be deploying CTF as-is. Although it’s possible in the future that we will give players more specific control and choices, this is something we feel pretty strongly about – and is in some ways a new mode, rather than simply an evolution of an existing game type. We understand the reaction this may cause, but there’s method in our madness and we ask your indulgence in the short term.

Well, at least they are being honest about it. I understand their reasoning for their choices here, but I think a better middle ground could have been reached. It just seems weird that they wouldn't ship with a CTF classic option. Im almost sure it will be patched in, but I think they want to give their new mode time to sink or swim.

"The PAX build contains the full set of armor in Halo 4."

Damn. :_(

Still a nice selection though. Can't be too greedy.

Yup, I knew it. Only thing Im sad about is now we know the whole set.. I wonder if any of those will be tied to terminals.. I would like that.

That said, I wonder if this means they have no more room on the disc, or if they cannot fit more armor in the game memory.. If the latter, it seems we will not get DLC armor again. =(

If we can get DLC armor they really need to do Halo Anniversary Mk V and then whatever the armor in FUD is.

stephen08

Becoming numb to it doesn't excuse it though. And besides that, you might be numb to it but I know I am not. I have definitely died in CoD and Battlefield because the obnoxious rank up, weapon unlocks were crowding the screen or obscuring the sound of what was actually happening to play some you're-so-awesome music.

Caja 117

Yeah, but the point is that there's not options for creating classic CTF in customs, yet there is for Grifball. 343's new CTF looks like a blast, but why does that mean we are completely blocked from playing classic CTF?

Like I said, because they want to implement a Universal way on playing CTF, while most (if not all) of the custom options of Grifball can be also found in assault gametypes.

Stuff like this :

"The Boost - Hold the ball with a teammate running close and directly in front of you towards the goal. Throw the ball to your teammate, telling him to jump. Immediately hammer smash behind him – pushing him forwards towards the goal. Oh, and try not to kill your buddy."

Can be done in Reach, of course maybe the ball passing is different, but you can give boost to any player using the Gravity hammer.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Becoming numb to it doesn't excuse it though. And besides that, you might be numb to it but I know I am not. I have definitely died in CoD and Battlefield because the obnoxious rank up, weapon unlocks were crowding the screen or obscuring the sound of what was actually happening to play some you're-so-awesome music.

Luckily for you all the weapon unlocks, spartan points unlocks, and rank progression happens when the game is over and all you're left with in-game is some small white text.

If there was EVER a moment to complain about it in Halo 4, it would be at the february showcase Devo and I were at when we saw the B-roll footage. And of course, we complained and now it's gone.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I am super excited for an all Flag playlist, that sounds awesome to me.

I wonder if Stockpile is making a return, I kind of liked it and kind of didn't.

Bsigg12

They pushed their gametype onto the consumer, rather than listen to the consumer and have it as an option.

Forcing their changes onto the consumer is not a good way to establish a name within multiple communities.

It's a new developer. While they're still working within the universe Bungie built, they need things to establish who they are. For this, they're re-imagining CTF. They have to stick to their guns with this otherwise it'll look like they are a company scared to ruffle the feathers of the hardcore and not evolve because of it.

They're giving CTF it's own playlist, which on its own is awesome. The fact that you can't drop the flag will become a non-issue once you've played a few games. It's like Bungie changing the way bombs were planted from 3 to Reach. It's something that made people mad, but everyone just got used to it.

I am super excited for an all Flag playlist, that sounds awesome to me.

I wonder if Stockpile is making a return, I kind of liked it and kind of didn't.

This may be assuming too much, but CTF having it's own playlist at launch tells me that you will not find a ton of fringe gametypes in Halo 4. They are going to stick to a small set of objective games with settings that they feel very confident in.

Something that Kevin Franklin said at PAX that really stuck with me. He was specifically speaking about CTF, but it theoretically applies to all gametypes. He stated that CTF was designed specifically for the matchmaking setup (5v5, specific maps/setups, fostering fast and team based play) that they wanted to do. I think you can assume/hope that design philosophy has been taken with all gametypes for H4. Objective games in the past couple Halo's never felt designed with matchmaking being taken into consideration much. Hell half the objective gametypes in Reach didn't even ship with the correct respawn timers.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
This may be assuming too much, but CTF having it's own playlist at launch tells me that you will not find a ton of fringe gametypes in Halo 4. They are going to stick to a small set of objective games with settings that they feel very confident in.

I am okay with that, as long as the gametypes are focused and balanced on the maps it will be better in the long run.

stephen08

Luckily for you all the weapon unlocks, spartan points unlocks, and rank progression happens when the game is over and all you're left with in-game is some small white text.

If there was EVER a moment to complain about it in Halo 4, it would be at the february showcase Devo and I were at when we saw the B-roll footage. And of course, we complained and now it's gone.

Yes, I am glad H4 isn't going as far with it as they could be.

The white text though has been complained about since it was first shown. The major problem I have with it is that it is intrusive but also redundant. Medals already show when you got a headshot or a multikill so why do we need this text in the middle of the screen and if it has to be there for the general population why can't it be turned off?

Ramirez

Bungie's decision making with CTF at launch was strange. They dipped in regular 2-flag, then had CTF Classic and another one in CTF Pro. They had two versions of 1-flag too.

Bungie's decisions for every playlist were always strange, none of the Halo games under their watch ever had clear playlist management. And yes, that includes Halo 2 with its SMG starts on BTB maps.

If so: there is no way it can be a direct remake since it's so cramped, and not very long, either. With sprint, not even including the ability to make it unlimited, would make runs from base to mid happen within seconds. It would need high necessary changes for both its width and length, not to mention the middle was a clusterfuck with just a wild spread BR. Now it's something far more accurate. Might be a decent size for your typical 5v5 CTF, but if they want a BTB, go with something larger.

How was the middle a clusterf*ck? Some of the best battles I've ever had revolved around pushing the top hill to gain control of the map. Like I said yesterday, removing scope knock out will make defending yourself so much easier in these situations.

It's a new developer. While they're still working within the universe Bungie built, they need things to establish who they are. For this, they're re-imagining CTF. They have to stick to their guns with this otherwise it'll look like they are a company scared to ruffle the feathers of the hardcore and not evolve because of it.

They're giving CTF it's own playlist, which on its own is awesome. The fact that you can't drop the flag will become a non-issue once you've played a few games. It's like Bungie changing the way bombs were planted from 3 to Reach. It's something that made people mad, but everyone just got used to it.
Where is Kyle!! I need a goodenough.gif stat

Caja 117

Remember that the consumers that doesn't like this are still a very small number of all the consumers, the change, as they have said it, is something they feel strong about. I don't agree with it, Bungie felt strong about having bloom with no custom option, and look what happened.

My point is, I understand why 343 only wants one option for CTF, and not giving more options is a way to put everyone on the same playing field (who knows, maybe having a gun with the flag is so deep coded in the game that the only way they could balance CTF was like this).

Slaker117

I don't love all the changes they are making, but I respect 343i's apparent commitment to their decisions. It's the only way to do things if they are to own the franchise and try to reignite it, rather than being glorified caretakers of an aging brand in Bungie's stead. Plus, the core gameplay feels great, so even if some choices don't work out, Halo 4 will still be fun to play at its core.

PNut

Banned
Will there be a way to disable auto-pickup for Flag/Oddball? -CyReN CE

At launch and in the launch playlists, we will be deploying CTF as-is.

Hope MLG incorporates this launch version of CTF into their playlist so I can watch the rage. Simply as a joke of course.

Can anyone imagine playing MLG CTF on the Pit and not being able to drop the flag, but you get a pistol in your right hand? Holy shit.

I'm guessing the MLG Nov. 2-4 Dallas event is Slayer only?

Hope MLG incorporates this launch version of CTF into their playlist so I can watch the rage. Simply as a joke of course.

Can anyone imagine playing MLG CTF on the Pit and not being able to drop the flag, but you get a pistol in your right hand? Holy shit.

I'm guessing the MLG Nov. 2-4 Dallas event is Slayer only?

its probably going to be slayer. they haven't really said anything about it (from what i've seen)

Top Bottom