• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Karl2177

Will there be a way to disable auto-pickup for Flag/Oddball? -CyReN CE

At launch and in the launch playlists, we will be deploying CTF as-is. Although it’s possible in the future that we will give players more specific control and choices, this is something we feel pretty strongly about – and is in some ways a new mode, rather than simply an evolution of an existing game type. We understand the reaction this may cause, but there’s method in our madness and we ask your indulgence in the short term.

That was vague...

CyReN

I know 343i is trying to get their own identity but forcing on new methods for a game isn't the best way to do it. Granted I haven't played the game but options like visible text, flag dropping, not auto picking up the flag, etc shouldn't be things we have to have "patched on" or even not included 11 years in to a games series. It's about options.

So, all the armour was in the PAX build. No Security huh? Bummer. Looks like everything is strictly armour this time too, so no shotgun shells, sniper rounds, and grenades strapped all over. Oh well, no biggy.

Flag Carrier Experience – Movement Speed

Unlike previous Halo games, you’ll move at full speed as a flag carrier, including jump and strafe. One difference to regular movement is you can’t sprint. However, a huge advantage to the Magnum is forcing enemies to stop sprinting – so in most encounters, you’re on a nearly level playing field.
Nearly level playing field, except for everyone fighting you having a weapon that's probably considerably better than the bloomy Magnum. :V

Striker

I'm guessing actual Assault or any kind of Plots isn't getting involved. Sigh. I guess it's just Speedflag with probably later doses of Hot Potato and 3 Flag.

Bsigg12

That was vague...

It's more of a, "this is our gametype, we're proud of it, so please play it" kind of thing. I do like that they're taking a strong stance on this. Sure maybe in a years time we'll get the TU that allows classic flag attributes, but for now, 343i is trying to reintroduce the gametype. I'm fine with this, and I'm excited to see what kind of population sticks in that playlist.

nillapuddin

Was the armor that was available in the PAX build the full set? If so, why is there no Mark V armor? -ArchedThunder

The PAX build contains the full set of armor in Halo 4. In the final game, there are a variety of methods for unlocking armor and armor skins - ranking up, earning commendations, progressing through Specializations and completing goals on Waypoint. Some of the skins, helmets, and the FOTUS armor are exclusive to various retail offers. Some of these items MAY become available to all players at a later date. We wanted to focus on the Spartan-IV armors for Infinity, maximizing the amount of variety across the armor designs. However, we did want to include a reward for completing the Campaign on Legendary, so we decided to use the Mark VI armor as that reward. While we'd love to include every historical variant of the Chief's armor, it's just not possible to fit more armor sets into the available memory.

unforgivable.

heckfu

Banned
This is frustrating. If the notifications are designed to become invisible to experienced players, then why not just provide the option to actually make them invisible? The goal they hope to achieve by not having an option would be better attained by having an option. Visible for players who want the notifications, truly invisible for those who don't--I don't see why this is distasteful to 343.

Did it really bother you that much when you played?

Ramirez

I'm personally ok with 343 sticking to their guns on CTF. They believe in it, and it shows.

Nothing worse than something like Reach, where it felt like you were playing 15 different games.

I know 343i is trying to get their own identity but forcing on new methods for a game isn't the best way to do it. Granted I haven't played the game but options like visible text, flag dropping, not auto picking up the flag, etc shouldn't be things we have to have "patched on" or even not included 11 years in to a games series. It's about options.
Personally I disagree to an extent.

Especially with a new developer, and a "reboot" of the series 343 has become very fond of calling it, they should deliver their vision of the game, not try to cater to every person that has ever had an opinion.
So, all the armour was in the PAX build. No Security huh? Bummer. Looks like everything is strictly armour this time too, so no shotgun shells, sniper rounds, and grenades strapped all over. Oh well, no biggy.

Nearly level playing field, except for everyone fighting you having a weapon that's probably considerably better than the bloomy Magnum. :V

A bit of evidence to my idea that the PAX build was content complete. It had all the armors, weapons, mods, AA's, etc that are in the game.

CTF playlist? At launch?

1912-so-much-win.jpg

The way they keep mentioning "more on customization options later" leads me to believe there is another shoe to drop there. Possibly some sort of Megalo-type tools for the community to make use of?

Or they just don't know what customization options are going to make it through bug squashing...

I'm excited for the Team Flag playlist.

feel

CTF-only playlist at launch? WHAT?????? Is this a new age of rational playlist management I'm smelling?

Frankie, is the Mark VI a reward only for beating Legendary solo or it's a reward in coop too? (please say solo)

edit-
oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLYWOOD YOU STUD!!!

I'm personally ok with 343 sticking to their guns on CTF. They believe in it, and it shows.

Nothing worse than something like Reach, where it felt like you were playing 15 different games.
Totally agree.

Karl2177

I know 343 is making it "their Halo." I just don't see why I am forced to go to games that didn't have Xbox Live, are taken off of Xbox Live, have incredibly low populations, or just plain suck in order to play a familiar mode.

So what does everyone think the remake will be now considering it is "most definitely outdoors"

Containment preferably.

Caja 117

I agree, Im guessing this was their way to help out, and I quote the Q&A, "certain types of players" I have to give my respect on 343 on doing this change and locking it, it is controversial, people will hate 343 for it, but only when the game is released we will now if it holds up, at least they are committed to patch it if it doesnt, my only hope is that if they decide to patch it, they don't take a Year to do it.

Interesting bit that will help:
Flag Carrier Experience – The Flagnum

The moment you pick up the flag, you’ll hold the flag in your left hand and draw a Magnum in your right. The Magnum allows you to defend yourself in combat and joust other flag carriers. We’re still working with the exact tuning of the flag carrier’s Magnum, but we’re hoping to give the flag carrier a slight damage boost. As in previous Halo games, your melee attack will still instant-kill. You can’t switch weapons while holding the flag, and there are unlimited reloads on the Magnum. We’ve also added a brand new assassination called the “Flagsassination”.

More than a damage boost, I think a longer clip would be better.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Didn't like that I take it? I kind of liked equipping all of them in Reach, and only those. Made it looked like I was stripping myself down on armour just so that I could have extra ammo for any situation.

I think it worked quite well for Reach, as the tech hadn't been quite developed yet, and the Spartans were far scrappier than Master Chief has been in other games. I am glad they didn't carry that aesthetic into the new game to make the chronology feel broken.

Striker

Bungie's decision making with CTF at launch was strange. They dipped in regular 2-flag, then had CTF Classic and another one in CTF Pro. They had two versions of 1-flag too.

So what does everyone think the remake will be now considering it is "most definitely outdoors"
I don't think it changes much really. The way I see it, reading this thread and the clues about it, it's basically down to four maps:
-Sandtrap (I think this is on the list simply because if the "mammoth" vehicle is in MP, then this is obviously a good map to have it on)
-Vahalla
-Sidewinder/Avalanche (Hopefully based on Sidewinder if so, but I don't see them changing the aesthetic to this map, and H4 already has a snow map. Two seems unlikely.)
-Waterworks (A remake could easily not be in a cave.)

That said, Vahalla seems the most likely to me, although I'm not sure how well it will play in H4.
Question about the Pax Build Armor Set, have we seen all the Helmets or is there still hidden unlockables that weren't revealed yet?

The build included the specializations, so I think that's everything.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Probably trying to avoid admitting there is gonna be a beta.

Is this beta to test the physics in throwing the oddball back and forth between passenger seats of a moving warthog?

That is all I want to know, can I throw it and catch it from that seat. Yay or nay Frankie, yay or nay?

nillapuddin

Was the entire Grifball arena built in Forge or is it one of the 3 Forge pallets? -N Y K R Y L L

Grifball, regardless of “where” it lives, was created independently and specifically as its own thing. The environment is somewhat moot. Frankly, it had WAY too much time and effort poured into it, but we loved it.

so.. is she saying that the little arena they used took "WAY too much time and effort" ?
or
designing grifball took "WAY too much time and effort"?

Because if its the former, and that whole warehouse was forged,

I might fall out of my chair, and MIGHT forget about mk v not being included.
atleast for tonight

Am I just reading this improperly or what?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy about CTF Playlist, unhappy about most everything else, yet still hyped about the remake tease and new video in next week's bulletin...

Stupid idea: maybe the playlists are predominantly based on gametype rather than grouping? For example:

Team Slayer
Team Flag
Team Assault
Team Territories
Grifball

and then a few extras:

Rumble Pit (regicide, juggernaut, slayer, etc etc)
Multi Team
Doubles
Big Team Battle
Team Classic
Team Snipers/SWAT?

Also, I have a track done for you guys but my DAW is rendering uncompressed files weird. :\ i'll see if I can't get it fixed.

The Bulletin made it sound like options to change the Flag Carrier traits will be in at launch. If those options are:
Flagnum: on/off
Juggling: on/off
Movement Speed

Doesn't that pretty much cover it for creating "old school" CTF? It seemed like bsangel was just saying that the normal playlists would be sticking to new CTF for the foreseeable future.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is this beta to test the physics in throwing the oddball back and forth between passenger seats of a moving warthog?

That is all I want to know, can I throw it and catch it from that seat. Yay or nay Frankie, yay or nay?

I don't know. This is the nadir of my knowledge. I will check.

Edit.

Happy

Birthday

Plywood

Wobble

Caja 117

The Bulletin made it sound like options to change the Flag Carrier traits will be in at launch. If those options are:
Flagnum: on/off
Juggling: on/off
Movement Speed.

No, the most prominent options are type of flag return and scoring with flag at home, flag carrier traits are more based damage with the flag, movement speed. Cyren Question in the bulletin confirms no options for droping the flag

This is what i got out of the article

-Really changed an important part of CTF
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -No!

-Really changed an important part in Grifball
-Can we set it back to the old competitive way in custom games? -Yes!

Striker

That said, Vahalla seems the most likely to me, although I'm not sure how well it will play in H4.
If so: there is no way it can be a direct remake since it's so cramped, and not very long, either. With sprint, not even including the ability to make it unlimited, would make runs from base to mid happen within seconds. It would need high necessary changes for both its width and length, not to mention the middle was a clusterfuck with just a wild spread BR. Now it's something far more accurate. Might be a decent size for your typical 5v5 CTF, but if they want a BTB, go with something larger.

Top Bottom