• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Aggrotek

I don't use the helmet. but people need get off their damn pedestal and realize that what they dont find important, could be very important to others.

I'm sorry but customization is not important. Gameplay takes precedence. Look at Halo 2. Barely any customization and the multiplayer was fucking epic.

It's just a really weird omission. Don't you agree?
I do agree. Just don't think it really matters.

Overdoziz

Banned
So it seems like Neutral Flag and 2 Flag Slayer are in TO, but there's no one flag at all?

RIGHT. I'd like to see you try and explain that decision, Reach playlist managers.

I'd complain about the lack of Stockpile, too, but I know it's a bit of a 'love it or hate it' gametype. Still, who'd pick it over 2 Flag Slayer, which is basically just 2 Flag but with added incentive to ignore the objective and go for kills... neutral is equally painful... things get crazy enough with two flags to pay attention to.

I actually have more fun in H3 social skirmish. It's hard to tell if that's because of superior playlist management, superior maps, superior gameplay, or a superior sandbox....
TU Neutral Bomb
TU 1 Bomb Assault
TU 1 Flag CTF
TU 1 Flag Pro
TU 3-Flag CTF
TU 2 Flag Classic
TU Multiflag CTF
TU 2 Flag Pro
TU 2 Flag Slayer
TU Crazy King
TU Team Hot Potato
TU Neutral Flag
TU Speedflag
TU 3 Plots
TU Assault
TU Stockpile
TU Team Headhunter
TU Territories
TU Oddball

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Salt on an open wound... I'M SO FURIOUS. CAN'T YOU TELL.

I'M THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO NEOGAF.

EVER.

:p
t06uA.gif

ERMAHGERD

u4iX

Members of 2old2play watched much of the video footage from PAX and are finding the armor color to be kind of pastel and eggshell in nature. Are any changes to the quality of color of armor expected in the final release of Halo 4? -DEEP NNN

As a very old, gray-haired fart, I resent you guys speaking on my behalf. But yes, these are indicative but hardly comprehensive color schemes.
I really liked the lighter hues to the armor.

It felt more even, where as in past games depending on the map, red team or blue team could have a slight advantage in blending in.

Risen

TU Neutral Bomb
TU 1 Bomb Assault
TU 1 Flag CTF
TU 1 Flag Pro
TU 3-Flag CTF
TU 2 Flag Classic
TU Multiflag CTF
TU 2 Flag Pro
TU 2 Flag Slayer
TU Crazy King
TU Team Hot Potato
TU Neutral Flag
TU Speedflag
TU 3 Plots
TU Assault
TU Stockpile
TU Team Headhunter
TU Territories
TU Oddball

All I see is Unlimited Slayer.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's just another needless thing to complain about. You don't even see the armor, but you would think it was an integral part of the game based on most of these reactions.

You know, I was going mention something about how people are so interested in armor permutations but I decided not to because I'm sure I've bitched about some really pointless shit too. As long as my Red Triforce is still there (which it is) I'm happy.

TU Neutral Bomb
TU 1 Bomb Assault
TU 1 Flag CTF
TU 1 Flag Pro
etc etc
WOW. I have been playing Team Objective on and off over the summer -- I haven't played half of those gametypes.

Maybe it's because I haven't installed the Anniversary maps. That's incentive, I suppose.

So it seems like Neutral Flag and 2 Flag Slayer are in TO, but there's no one flag at all?

RIGHT. I'd like to see you try and explain that decision, Reach playlist managers.

I'd complain about the lack of Stockpile, too, but I know it's a bit of a 'love it or hate it' gametype. Still, who'd pick it over 2 Flag Slayer, which is basically just 2 Flag but with added incentive to ignore the objective and go for kills... neutral is equally painful... things get crazy enough with two flags to pay attention to.

I actually have more fun in H3 social skirmish. It's hard to tell if that's because of superior playlist management, superior maps, superior gameplay, or a superior sandbox....

There's so much blatantly wrong about this post, let me count the ways...
Firstly,

TU Neutral Bomb
TU 1 Bomb Assault
TU 1 Flag CTF
TU 1 Flag Pro
TU 3-Flag CTF
TU 2 Flag Classic
TU Multiflag CTF
TU 2 Flag Pro
TU 2 Flag Slayer
TU Crazy King
TU Team Hot Potato
TU Neutral Flag
TU Speedflag
TU 3 Plots
TU Assault
TU Stockpile
TU Team Headhunter
TU Territories
TU Oddball

DAMMIT Overdoziz!!!!!!

WOW. I have been playing Team Objective on and off over the summer -- I haven't played half of those gametypes.

Maybe it's because I haven't installed the Anniversary maps. That's incentive, I suppose.

Wut. srsly. wtfutalkinbout

I'm sorry but customization is not important. Gameplay takes precedence. Look at Halo 2. Barely any customization and the multiplayer was fucking epic.

I do agree. Just don't think it really matters.

Look at how better Reach was though for custimization though. You simply cannot brush that apect aside and say it doesn't matter. Especially seeing as they are touting the ability to customise your own Spartan abard the Infinity. These things absolutely matter and people do care. Some people care more about this than any gameplay aspect. Niether player should be brushed aside.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know, I was going mention something about how people are so interested in armor permutations but I decided not to because I'm sure I've bitched about some really pointless shit too. As long as my Red Triforce is still there (which it is) I'm happy.
Good for you. Where is my mark of shame? Or a dragon, give me a DRAGON. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS!?

u4iX

Look at how better Reach was though for custimization though. You simply cannot brush that apect aside and say it doesn't matter. Especially seeing as they are touting the ability to customise your own Spartan abard the Infinity. These things absolutely matter and people do care. Some people care more about this than any gameplay aspect. Niether player should be brushed aside.

Spartan IV's do not have access to the same armories for customization as previous Spartan's in the storied Halo franchise.

It's canon.

Don't worry, having a weak pistol and no ability to drop the flag will definitely encourage people to go for the objective more often.

The Flagnum Magnum is stronger than the Magnum Magnum.

Don't worry, it won't be confusing to anyone.

ZalinKrow

The game has a lot of weird omissions, armor that you can't see is on the bottom of the list.

I don't mind whether people care about the armour or not really, but I don't get how some of you can't see why anyone would care.

You see it a lot. Whenever you get in a vehicle, pick up a turret, get killed. Not to mention in the lobby, in screenshots and theatre.

I just really enjoy tailoring a spartan to my tastes. It's a really fun feature and makes the game a bit more enjoyable for me. If we all looked the same, I'd still love the game, but not as much. Why expect less? I get that it all boils down to gameplay, but all the pretty bells and whistles are part of what I find great about it.

Aggrotek

I'm speaking purely from a functionality standpoint. Do I want customization? Yes. Is it important to the game? No.

I understand the desire for individuality. Just don't think it is necessary. But, alas, I will stop talking about it. :lol

u4iX

MIND=BLOWN

They should make the Flagnum Magnum golden.

Hey 343, listen! People, meaning newcomers in matchmaking and the overall uninterested, are going to wonder why the Flagnum Magnum is killing them faster than the Magnum Magnum.

Paint the Flagnum Magnum gold.

It'll look awesome and for reasons only bequeathed to those with a ridiculous understanding of psychology, it'll make people pick up the flag more.

That's seriously one of the stupidest complaints ever. Every other shooter has the text notification of XP and no one complains about it there. Not only that, but in the middle of gamepaly, it's un-noticable, even in a game like Battlefield 3 where DICE is face fucking you with it every second.

It is actually one of my biggest problems with battlefield and I think I bitched to GUI about it a lot when we tried that game out earlier this year.

On a totally unrelated note:
Someone posted a article earlier and at the end it said that 343 are working with community cartographers to ensure there are forge options for release.

First of all: :( forge maps suck and the community cartographers have hardly done a good job of integrating good maps - no offence.
does that explain fyres NDA I wonder

Hey 343, listen! People, meaning newcomers in matchmaking and the overall uninterested, are going to wonder why the Flagnum Magnum is killing them faster than the Magnum Magnum.

It'll look awesome and for reasons only bequeathed to those with a ridiculous understanding of psychology, it'll make people pick up the flag more.

That's.... a rather amazing idea...

JHall

Ship it.

The game has a lot of weird omissions, armor that you can't see is on the bottom of the list.
Of course, but it's the fact it's so functionally unimportant that I think it's even more bizarre.

The flag dropping, or rather lack of, while questionable, is a design choice.
--Incoming hypothesising--
It wasn't considered a high enough priority to reenable it for customs at launch.

The Mark V armour, well loved, wasn't considered a priority in versus implementing designs like Unicorn.

That's just.. interesting. The "cutting" meetings must have been tough?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Your dragons await you in the house of the undying...

edit:
http://hotpopjunk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/quarth.jpg
Happy Name day, Plywood.
What a winsome smile, thanks. <3

I was thinking the exact thing alongside making it 4SK.

In short:

AGREED +10​

Fucking Grenade Launch, took away classic CTF and now the Mk. V armor.. Seriously..

4a4da-Ari_Gold_Get_the_Fuck_Out.gif
with that bullshit.. NOT ENOUGH SPACE?! I'd rather them give NO excuse then that crap..

Space on disk excuse is especially sad given how much space is dedicated to the bunch of pre-order exclusive skins.

Ctf exclusive playlist on launch is awesome news though, I just dont understand why reach and halo 3 tried to shoehorn all the objective game types into one list, hopefully ctf does well.

You do realize that would require scripting friendly AI for the entire Spartan Ops season(s)... That's a LOT of scripting. Unless you just mean like friendly AI in Campaign? (Do not want)
It was a cool idea but I didn't expect 343 to have it. If such an update would be possible Id enjoy it even more (similar idea towards MP bots) but its most likely Not going to happen, I already know.

CTF exclusive playlist on launch is awesome news though, I just dont understand why reach and halo 3 tried to shoehorn all the objective game types into one list, hopefully ctf does well.

CTF playlist is where I'll be spending a lot of my time, you know how much I love objective.

Also that Simpsons game is pretty good, DL it!

JHall

I was thinking the exact thing alongside making it 4SK.

In short:

AGREED +10​

They should make it a 2sk. That is the only way to make the flag carrier feel like a "badass". People with rockets on their back will want to pick up the flag even more. I mean why drop the flag when you have the 2sk Flagnum handcannon.

Vire

I liked the Gold Flagnum idea. Just take a bit further - use the same navy and gold on the flag itself and re-skin the magnum with appropriate adornments.

F5mAs.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Space on disk excuse is especially sad given how much space is dedicated to the bunch of pre-order exclusive skins.

Ctf exclusive playlist on launch is awesome news though, I just dont understand why reach and halo 3 tried to shoehorn all the objective game types into one list, hopefully ctf does well.

I didn't think it had anything to do with space on the disk. More the memory requirements. Right?

u4iX

They should make it a 2sk. That is the only way to make the flag carrier feel like a "badass". People with rockets on their back will want to pick up the flag even more. I mean why drop the flag when you have the 2sk Flagnum handcannon.

With the RoF of the Magnum a 3sk would feel fair. Just enough of a badass to pick it up, and you'd still have to be on point with your shots to get solid kills.

Nailing the damage on it though would be a solid incentive to pick it up.

Love this. Makes total sense. Ship it.

Alternative suggestion: the flag comes with free bonus binary rifle and overshield. Truly, you will feel like the ultimate badass.

If they can make the flag carrier competitive with a good amount of damage on the pistol I'd pick it up more often. It's almost like a power weapon itself in that way.

Shame about the inability to make the magnum gold though

If they make it too strong no one will want to score with it. They will just objective hold for kills.
that's a good point. Maybe make it strong but not give it unlimited ammo?

feel

Since they had everything from the Armory on display at PAX, there's only going to be one (ugly) alternative skin per weapon? That's disappointing, I wanted to unlock a black BR.

Aw...
https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/243742690401984512
I still hope it's stronger and they don't remove the damage buffs even if there's no physical difference.

David Ellis just confirmed via twitter they wanted to implement the Golden Flagnum, but couldn't due to time constraints.

It would have been awesome.

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/243742690401984512

Would have been pretty cool, but ultimately the resources could be better used.

They're almost definitely downloaded from XBL, but run-time resources are more of a concern than disk space in this context, I'd assume.

Top Bottom