• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Overdoziz

Banned
They just said they're still tweaking damage on the pistol.

But ignore that to make a witty comment.
A slightly less weak pistol then. I honestly see no reason for me to give up my AA, sprint, primary weapon, grenades or power weapon if I have one. 343 says they want to make the flag carrier feel like a bad-ass but to me it seems like the flag carrier is handicapped more than anything. Even with a more powerful magnum (I'm guessing they'll just make it so it's one shot less to kill or something, nothing ground breaking) you'll still be limited in movement and everyone on the map will see exactly where you are.

So yeah, someone else can pick up the flag, I'll most likely be steering clear of it.

Risen

So yeah, someone else can pick up the flag, I'll most likely be steering clear of it.

LOL what are you grumpy about, it's not like you were mister objective in Reach. When did you ever touch a flag apart from sitting in the basement on Zealot?

Pretty much nothing is changing for you...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
David Ellis just confirmed via twitter they wanted to implement the Golden Flagnum, but couldn't due to time constraints.

It would have been awesome.

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/statu...42690401984512
Kinda odd to be honest, I don't know how development works but I'd imagine if they decided they wanted to make people have the flag and a magnum they would've marked that magnum as special from the offset.

Or is the quote of wanting the flag carrier to be "the ultimate badass" something that was decided afterwards?

JHall

With the RoF of the Magnum a 3sk would feel fair. Just enough of a badass to pick it up, and you'd still have to be on point with your shots to get solid kills.

Nailing the damage on it though would be a solid incentive to pick it up.

I was just messing. A 3sk would be good, but we all know how Halo developers hate 3sk pistols. :p

Yeah, its RAM, not disc space.

Different terminology- same difference, my point was that it's crazy how much fluff is being crammed in, which is causing stuff to be left out.

Flatulator - typically pre order dlc is on the disk but requires a download to unlock, so it's still taking up disk space, and it's still taking up ram.

Kinda odd to be honest, I don't know how development works but I'd imagine if they decided they wanted to make people have the flag and a magnum they would've marked that magnum as special from the offset.

Or is the quote of wanting the flag carrier to be "the ultimate badass" something that was decided afterwards?

I'd imagine that testing proved that the flagnum needed a nerf (due to you being waypointed with a giant 'KILL'). Not surprised if they didn't anticipate that giving the flag carrier a regular magnum wouldn't suffice.

Gazzawa

I'd imagine that testing proved that the flagnum needed a nerf (due to you being waypointed with a giant 'KILL'). Not surprised if they didn't anticipate that giving the flag carrier a regular magnum wouldn't suffice.

yeah that and ur view is obstructed by the flag anyway so u need some sort of + going for ya

Overdoziz

Banned
LOL what are you grumpy about, it's not like you were mister objective in Reach. When did you ever touch a flag apart from sitting in the basement on Zealot?

Hey now, I never said minded the change. Just saying that if 343 wants people to pick up the flag this probably isn't the way to go. Carrying flags in Halo 4 doesn't sound like fun to me at all, especially not when compared to juggling flags.

Bsigg12

OK, just got a question about characters. Some spoilers may follow.
Since it has been confirmed that Halsey will be in Halo 4, is it safe to say that we might see Jun? SInce at the end of Reach he was sent with her by Carter.Unless in one of the newer books it's discussed what happened to him, I'm beginning to think he'll be in 4.
Feel free to debunk that question/statement if I'm off base.

Hey now, I never said minded the change. Just saying that if 343 wants people to pick up the flag this probably isn't the way to go. Carrying flags in Halo 4 doesn't sound like fun to me, especially not as fun as juggling flags.
I hope their goal wasn't to encourage flag carrying, because its going to have the exact opposite effect.

Monocle

About the bulletin: I'm annoyed by 343's refusal to include a full array of custom game options in Halo 4. What could they possibly have to lose by adding toggles for multiplayer elements that many players consider intrusive, like the audio spam, UI clutter, and auto flag pick up? We're urged to trust their judgment. Why can't they trust ours? I find it incredible that requests so easily met have been casually brushed aside. 343 should accommodate fans of previous Halo games to the extent that time and budget allow.

Ramirez

This could probably be said of 90% of the people who were lamenting the change. I think a lot of people who were complaining were also thinking from an MLG CTF perspective. In Reach MM CTF, you can't juggle, and are pretty much a sitting duck anyways. The increase in movement speed & a weapon to defend yourself is miles better than what Reach offered in its base MM options.

I also suppose a lot of people are pissed for what this means for MLG settings, but why cater to a company that was so eager to drop you? It's not even confirmed they're picking it back up, right? So, for all we know, there won't even be a MLG playlist in the game.

I get the anger for no custom options, but for me personally, I'm not going to spend enough time in customs to really care.

I hope their goal wasn't to encourage flag carrying, because its going to have the exact opposite effect.

You don't know this, yet you state it as fact. Like I said above, in Reach, you moved slow as a turtle, and couldn't even juggle the flag. Why would you expect less people to pick up flags when it's actually improved over the last game?

If anything, I saw way more flags being picked up in the PAX videos than you do in your average CTF game in Reach. This is all speculation though until it's out in the wild, but to sit there & say it's going to have the reverse effect when it's vastly superior to Vanilla Reach is silly.

Talents

Banned
About the bulletin: I'm annoyed by 343's refusal to include a full array of custom game options in Halo 4. What could they possibly have to lose by adding toggles for multiplayer elements that many players consider intrusive, like the audio spam, UI clutter, and auto flag pick up? We're urged to trust their judgment. Why can't they trust ours? I find it incredible that requests so easily met have been casually brushed aside. 343 should accommodate fans of previous Halo games to the extent that time and budget allow.

They lose CoD fans.

I'm still waiting for that thing Frankie or someone said back in march, the 'Calm before the storm' what was the 'calm' supposed to be? Because all they've been doing is feeding the storm.

Vire

I think you mis-underestimate the whole "easily met" thing. These types of options take a while to implement...

It was probably an issue of time and resources rather than they don't care about what the fanbase wants.

Different terminology- same difference, my point was that it's crazy how much fluff is being crammed in, which is causing stuff to be left out.

Flatulator - typically pre order dlc is on the disk but requires a download to unlock, so it's still taking up disk space, and it's still taking up ram.

*Consistent* terminology - huge difference.

You're one of those folks that thinks installing programs slows down your computer aren't you? You know, the ones those "Speed up my PC" infomercials are usually targeting?

TWut. srsly. wtfutalkinbout
Half the maps in TO seem to be DLC/Anniversary.... I have none of those. Hence, it seems a possible explanation for why I never encounter most of those gametypes. Out of curiosity, I dug up my last couple matches in TO, because I thought my memory might just be playing tricks; 2 Flag Slayer, 2 Flag Slayer, Crazy King, Oddball, Hot Potato, Oddball, Crazy King, 2 Flag Slayer, 2 Flag Pro, 2 Flag Slayer, Oddball, Neutral Flag, Oddball... not my idea of variety. Or fun. That said, I did find some One Flag and Stockpile matches later on, much to my surprise. So either the weightings are off, or I've just been strangely unlucky recently.

Monocle

I think you mis-underestimate the whole "easily met" thing. These types of options take a while to implement...

It was probably an issue of time rather than they don't care about what the fanbase wants.
If that's the case, they should say so rather than invoking their yet-to-be-established cachet as Halo developers.

CyReN

Gzq3T.jpg

Risen

This could probably be said of 90% of the people who were lamenting the change. I think a lot of people who were complaining were also thinking from an MLG CTF perspective. In Reach MM CTF, you can't juggle, and are pretty much a sitting duck anyways. The increase in movement speed & a weapon to defend yourself is miles better than what Reach offered in its base MM options.

I also suppose a lot of people are pissed for what this means for MLG settings, but why cater to a company that was so eager to drop you? It's not even confirmed they're picking it back up, right? So, for all we know, there won't even be a MLG playlist in the game.

I get the anger for no custom options, but for me personally, I'm not going to spend enough time in customs to really care.

Don't get me wrong... I get it, and was just poking fun at Dutchy.

How many times, in a flag game, in Reach, have one of us grabbed the flag and gone hunting? Slow movement, can only melee, and yet still we are hunting kids with the objective for flag beat downs.

Now, make me MORE dangerous with a flag in hand. Give me a gun to shoot, faster movement speed (relative to prior titles with the flag), and the ability to still have a one hit beat down?

The problem won't be getting people to grab it, the problem will be getting people to CAP it.

Yet another reason the match making parameters better be tight. Otherwise, boredom is going to set in for better players, and it will be another Unlimited Slayer.

Ramirez

How many times, in a flag game, in Reach, have one of us grabbed the flag and gone hunting? Slow movement, can only melee, and yet still we are hunting kids with the objective for flag beat downs.

Now, make me MORE dangerous with a flag in hand. Give me a gun to shoot, faster movement speed (relative to prior titles with the flag), and the ability to still have a one hit beat down?

The problem won't be getting people to grab it, the problem will be getting people to CAP it.

Yet another reason the match making parameters better be tight. Otherwise, boredom is going to set in for better players, and it will be another Unlimited Slayer.

lol, this will be amazing.

Half the maps in TO seem to be DLC/Anniversary.... I have none of those. Hence, it seems a possible explanation for why I never encounter most of those gametypes. Out of curiosity, I dug up my last couple matches in TO, because I thought my memory might just be playing tricks; 2 Flag Slayer, 2 Flag Slayer, Crazy King, Oddball, Hot Potato, Oddball, Crazy King, 2 Flag Slayer, 2 Flag Pro, 2 Flag Slayer, Oddball, Neutral Flag, Oddball... not my idea of variety. Or fun. That said, I did find some One Flag and Stockpile matches later on, much to my surprise. So either the weightings are off, or I've just been strangely unlucky recently.

Checked mine from just last night: 1-flag, 1-flag, Oddball, Speedflag, Oddball, 1-flag, 2-flag slayer, Oddball, Neutral Bomb. 1-Flag games were on Boardwalk, Reflection, and Condemned (DLC). Bomb was on Asylum, as was 2-flag slayer and speedflag I believe. Oddball were Swordbase/Countdown.

Playing with people who actually vote for shit helps.

kylej

Banned

Oh please, you know that's not what people are upset about. Nobody cares if the name of the playlist is MLG or Halo Council or whatever, people just want the ability to play regular CTF and other stripped down gametypes in matchmaking or at least customs. Right now there is apparently no option for this. That's an absurd omission.

This is a serious question - are there people who actually enjoy Rocket Hog Race? Tried to play Multi Team last night and it got voted in four separate lobbies. FOUR. IN A ROW.

I couldn't tell if the people voting for it were trying to be tools or seriously liked it.

JHall

This is a serious question - are there people who actually enjoy Rocket Hog Race? Tried to play Multi Team last night and it got voted in four separate lobbies. FOUR. IN A ROW.

I couldn't tell if the people voting for it were trying to be tools or seriously liked it.

Halo 3 Rocket Race is leaps and bounds better than Rocket Hog Race.

regular Rocket Race with the mongoose is better in every way

Beckx

regular Rocket Race with the mongoose is better in every way

Didn't Reach launch with no rocket race, then added it (mongoose version), but it was crazy weighted in MM or something? And then ultimately it was gone and replaced with...that.

Or am I misremembering this?

I absolutely enjoy it! Knowing when to try go for a point, leading your shots and EMPing the other teams. Lots of fun.

I find it fun, I only really pick it if nothing good comes up in multi team but I still like it. I only really play multi team when I have 2 guests though, so that might make it more enjoyable as well.

Ramirez

Oh please, you know that's not what people are upset about. Nobody cares if the name of the playlist is MLG or Halo Council or whatever, people just want the ability to play regular CTF and other stripped down gametypes in matchmaking or at least customs. Right now there is apparently no option for this. That's an absurd omission.

The people who are pissed, are people who haven't played the game. Plenty of people that you play with regularly have played it, and didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Could it suck? Sure. Could it be good? Sure.

I'm not going to make a final judgement on the change until I play it though.

We don't know the details of why there's no custom options for flags at this time, it will probably be patched in at some point, maybe not. Someone made a point yesterday, maybe the flagnum is coded in such a way it made it not possible to allow classic CTF?

The best way to approach this game is to realize it's a new studio, and they've blatantly said they see it as a reboot of the franchise. Stuff's gonna change, and the only way you can really "hurt" them is by not buying the game, but you've already said you wouldn't do that!

No caption picture in the Bulletin.

I am at a loss for words.

Maybe we're lucky and that portion has been nixed. :p

*Consistent* terminology - huge difference.

You're one of those folks that thinks installing programs slows down your computer aren't you? You know, the ones those "Speed up my PC" infomercials are usually targeting?

No - I'm one of those people who make my living in software development and know that there's no point in being fussy about the terminology used when the end result of the conversation doesn't require it. If a discussion is going down based on content being cut due to limited memory does it matter where that limited memory is? Why sideline the discussion to talk about the terminology? Ah you must be one of those people who nitpick on the Internet! You know, the ones that sideline conversation for no reason?

Besides im posting from my phone, im never going to spell out all my posts 100% live with it. :p

You as the flag carrier have a big marker which tells everyone you are the damn flag carrier the whole time. The focus will be on you. If the opposite team not bothering to take you down, then they're deserved to get destroyed by your flag killing.

No - I'm one of those people who make my living in software development and know that there's no point in being fussy about the terminology used when the end result of the conversation doesn't require it. If a discussion is going down based on content being cut due to limited memory does it matter where that limited memory is? Why sideline the discussion to talk about the terminology? Ah you must be one of those people who nitpick on the Internet! You know, the ones that sideline conversation for no reason?

Fight, fight, fight!

Beckx

Someone made a point yesterday, maybe the flagnum is coded in such a way it made it not possible to allow classic CTF?

This. Maybe it's non-trivial to have this an option. No reason to jump to the conclusion they are idiot fun-killing assholes out to ruin custom games.

It's just Occam's razor: no need to jump to convoluted theories until the simpler ones are excluded.

Fight, fight, fight!

Winner gets the t-Rex emblem and green armour?

Just to clarify I'm posting from my phone, im never going to spell out all my posts 100% live with it. :p - consistent terminology is not needed and a pain in the ass to type, my end point is the same - halo 4 has so much fluff taking up space that the limited space argument is just silly.

Raide

People would just grab the flag and then try and toss it as far across the map as possible to get it closer to scoring.

I am sure they can implement some flagvalin drop-off to prevent that. Maybe they could just have it re-spawn if not collected in a few seconds. The added passing in Grifball, why not in Flagball...I mean CTF.

Risen

You as the flag carrier have a big marker which tells everyone you are the damn flag carrier the whole. The focus will be on you. If the opposite team not bothering to take you down, then they're deserved to get destroyed by your flag killing.

LOL not discounting this at ALL. The ability to hunt kids in prior games for flag beat downs had very little to do with a person not having a marker. It had everything to do with a poor match and highly skilled kids getting bored and playing with their food.

Bad kids don't "deserve" getting held on and they won't "deserve" it any more in H4 than they did previously.

Point being, whatever else they've done, based on the videos thus far, they've created an environment that is much more conducive to objective holding, and are talking about making it worse by INCREASING the power of the magnum.

This is completely ironic given the justification for getting rid of a 1-50 skill based ranking system a la H2 and 3.

Edit to say:

Based on the videos, assuming equal teams, the carrier is certainly more a sitting duck than ultimate bad ass. A high bloom pistol with little ammo in a magazine doesn't help this. Increasing the power, or reducing bloom, or increasing magazine capacity will make this much less an issue and would likely make for better game play with equal matching. The problem is in the a-hole... that same type of change means that in poor matching kids are going to get griefed... hard.

Top Bottom