• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

FyreWulff

It got pulled because on the 360, users having the camo cause some framerate problems. They, instead of pulling Camo out of the map, removed the entire thing.

There was the same issue in Colossus when they did Ninja CTF (flag carrier was invisible) when played on the 360. It had emulation issues, but they had ways around them. They simply did not execute them properly.

Yeah, it was frustrating that they just didn't make a Backwash Slayer/CTF variant with the camo removed, and instead just nuked the map.

Goes to show how much influence matchmaking has though - in the latter days of Halo 2, if you selected Backwash in a custom, people would go "what in the fuck is this map and when did I download it" when I selected it in a customs lobby because if it wasn't in matchmaking, they didn't know about it.

raindoc

6Gb worth of patches could not fix this.
that whole game was a lesson on how not to do a console FPS.
Poor campaign
Useless Coop
Complete silence during online multiplayer
Ship it. And patch when the giant sandbox collapses inwards on itself.

the concept is awesome. there's no other game that i know of, which would allow me to fight side by side with friends as infantry, roll in a tank, drive a chopper and fly a jet.
i love it.
but the execution is horrible.

and i have to question some further decisions made by EA/DICE too, for example the DLC content. one DLC only with close-quarters maps? one only featuring big vehicle based combat?
why not release a good mix of it to address ALL players?

EDIT - imo they should have skipped campaign and co-op altogether and focused on the MP, stick to the roots.

the concept is awesome. there's no other game that i know of, which would allow me to fight side by side with friends as infantry, roll in a tank, drive a chopper and fly a jet.
i love it.
but the execution is horrible.

and i have to question some further decisions made by EA/DICE too, for example the DLC content. one DLC only with close-quarters maps? one only featuring big vehicle based combat?
why not release a good mix of it to address ALL players?

EDIT - imo they should have skipped campaign and co-op altogether and focused on the MP, stick to the roots.

imo they should do that with halo. i would prefer it if they released a map pack with only 4v4 maps (preferably arena). then they could release a map pack for btb lovers. that way it feels like we get the bang for our buck

raindoc

imo they should do that with halo. i would prefer it if they released a map pack with only 4v4 maps (preferably arena). then they could release a map pack for btb lovers. that way it feels like we get the bang for our buck

with several months in between?

(i'm not a Halo MP regular, so i can't really comment on that, but for BF:)

B2K was released in early December 2011. since then, the regular BF community (referring to everyone that doesn't prefer the CODesque close-quarters maps) hasn't gotten any new maps for the game they originally bought.
i do see your point, but i'd rather have had it the other way for BF, especially since CQ didn't expand anything, but introduced completely new gameplay. and nothing but.

Woorloog

Banned
Connery is the best Bond.
Haven't played SM64 either. Well, maybe i've tried it but never really played it. Don't care either, Mario is dead to me after Super Mario Bros 3 (and Super Mario World)
Don't care about Zeldas. Don't care about Nintendo actually.

Valhalla is okay map, Coag, Gulch and Hemo suck and are equally bad.

The best player is never me so yeah.

I must rely on the other guy being a bigger idiot than me. This is how I play all my games.

You and I, we are the same.

My MO too, rely on others being idiots. Good thing that happens often.
I fancy myself as a good player but i know that's not really true, i rarely win in a "fair" fight.

EDIT oh and had a dream of Halo 4. There was some shitty map akin to Blood Gulch (including as bad graphics and modeling), we (yes, i played with HaloGAF) ended up spawn trapped, AR was a beast at close range. Wonder how true this will be.
EDIT 2, must not forget Evade. It was in the game for some reason, it covered the player in a glowing orange globe and the roll animation was really, really slow, like a snail trying to roll...

Striker

Blood Gulch was fine for your 4v4 or 2v2 LAN's where you and your friends pissed around with pistols and snipers. It wasn't a good map for regular old CTF play. The bases were small and had little wiggle room. Coagulation was its successor and fixed its problems. Hilly terrain and the addition of the cave and rock structure to give users more cover for when they came out of the teleporter. The basement level added another entry in, and out; also with the rockets and its ammo scattered on each side in the middle, allowed for more fun, and intense vehicle moments. Thought Wraiths with 'hogs, Banshee and ghosts on there was nicely set. Lot of activity in all phases.

kylej

Banned
lot of talk of server browsers. who needs those things when you have 343 playlist management at the helm. it's as good as it gets.

kylej

Banned
Trust Us.

my favorite is when they talk about how they'll have a watchful eye and pay close attention to matchmaking after release. I hope that's not the same eye that ripped squad slayer out of the game while keeping TU BETA SLAYER in.

Overdoziz

Banned
4v4 on Valhalla is still a thing in Halo 3.
Just goes to show how Bungie never put any amount of thought in what gametype/playercount they combine with what maps.

Pop

my favorite is when they talk about how they'll have a watchful eye and pay close attention to matchmaking after release. I hope that's not the same eye that ripped squad slayer out of the game while keeping TU BETA SLAYER in.

I shed a tear. Squad Slayer was easily my favorite playlist outside of MLG. There was really no good reason to taking it out. Same thing for anniversary BTB. :/

raindoc

Hey New York gaf. How YOU doin'?

since i'm not getting any response on waypoint, may i ask you:

will the international, dubbed versions of H4 be shipped with the original english audio?
or will the original english audio be made available as a free download via XBL, like Bioware did with ME3?
me and lots of other users from non-english speaking countries dislike the translations Bungie's titles provided and for preordering reasons it would be great to know if i can go for the regional austrian version and change the audio, or if i "need" to order the UK import to get the original audio.
thanks in advance!

I'm ordering mine via Amazon.co.uk. It works pretty well except it's usually a day late.

i know. that's what i'd like to avoid *blushes*

FyreWulff

I shed a tear. Squad Slayer was easily my favorite playlist outside of MLG. There was really no good reason to taking it out. Same thing for anniversary BTB. :/

Squad Slayer still a head scratcher, but Anni BTB needed to go. It was just redundant to normal BTB. No online Halo has been able to sustain two BTB lists simultaneously.

since i'm not getting any response on waypoint, may i ask you:

will the international, dubbed versions of H4 be shipped with the original english audio?
or will the original english audio be made available as a free download via XBL, like Bioware did with ME3?
me and lots of other users from non-english speaking countries dislike the translations Bungie's titles provided and for preordering reasons it would be great to know if i can go for the regional austrian version and change the audio, or if i "need" to order the UK import.
thanks in advance!
I asked the same question once, but to no avail.

By now I'm used to getting my Halo games from the UK. Can't stand most of the German voice acting. Original is the only way to go.

I'm ordering mine via Amazon.co.uk. It works pretty well except it's usually a day late.

Squad Slayer still a head scratcher, but Anni BTB needed to go. It was just redundant to normal BTB. No online Halo has been able to sustain two BTB lists simultaneously.

1000 ms point compensation for its removal though

You guys must have REALLY loved squad slayer for all the grief that came out of its removal.

I think most people complain about it because the context surrounding its removal felt like a swindle. 343 asked people to participate in the Team Slayer voting poll will the apparent outcome that if TU won, Team Slayer would become title updated and Squad Slayer would remain (seeing as it had nothing to do with TS).

What we got was an indecisive vote which led inexplicably to a duplicate playlist with slightly reduced bloom and an Armour Lock that wasn't as game breaking. NO ONE was asking for TS to be TU'd really, Squad Slayer players were happy playing their TU playlist with NO Armour Lock and no community Forge maps. The TS vote should have had a disclaimer warning that an even vote would result in duplicate playlists and the removal of the innocent Squad Slayer.

tl;dr Most TU players were happy with the superior Squad Slayer and didn't want a TS duplicate.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff

1000 ms point compensation for its removal though

I think most people complain about it because the context surrounding its removal felt like a swindle. 343 asked people to participate in the Team Slayer voting poll will the apparent outcome that if TU won, Team Slayer would become title updated and Squad Slayer would remain (seeing as it had nothing to do with TS).

What we got was an indecisive vote which led inexplicably to a duplicate playlist with slightly reduced bloom and an Armour Lock that wasn't as game breaking. NO ONE was asking for TS to be TU'd really, Squad Slayer players were happy playing their TU playlist with NO Armour Lock and no community Forge maps. The TS vote should have had a disclaimer warning that an even vote would result in duplicate playlists and the removal of the innocent Squad Slayer.

tl;dr Most TU players were happy with the superior Squad Slayer and didn't want a TS duplicate.

To replay what happened:

Reach was at 26 lists, which was the playlist cap. The Team Slayer vote happened. People assumed it would make Team Slayer stay Vanilla or TU.

343 decides to go for Option C: Keep both lists. Squad Slayer bites it because they're at the playlist cap.

Anniversary Squad bites it because they announced a new Reach beta-category playlist would debut soon, so they needed to set aside room for that to come back. It never showed up.

There's now plenty of room under the playlist cap and Squad Slayer never came back despite the demand. Then somehow Super Slayer survives a consolidation that should have gotten rid of all redundant playlists.

edit: formatting

edit2: source for the new Beta playlist:

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/post/2012/02/07/February-Matchmaking-Playlist-Update.aspx

Zero Bloom moved to Competitive category, and Beta category hidden.

Zero Bloom Slayer is popular enough to be moved to the Competitive category. We’re working on what will be in the Beta category next, but it needs a little more time to marinate in order to reach its maximum important status. Keep an eye out for its return in the near future.

Wonder what that was going to be

Myyke

Neo Member

I think it was a slightly awkward thing to do, purely because the Anniversary Map Pack is in that weird situation where it is a stand-alone offering for people who bought Halo CEA but might not own Reach.

Then again I would guess 343 would have enough data to calculate how many people were playing purely from the Anniversary disk and what playlists they chose to use etc.

Woorloog

Banned
Fuck. Regretting i sold my Bad Company 2. BF3... Just ain't fun at the moment. Shitty teams. Shitty assingments, requires use of the 4 weapons i hate.

Need Halo 4 ASAP. For the single player. Just for the challenge and novelty of a new game.
Both ODST and Halo 3 are jokes on Legendary for me (nor fun on Legendary, Heroic for life) and Reach campaign is so shitty i don't want to play it even on Easy.
And can't bring myself to play Halo Anniversary... want to play that Co-op but no one else wants (split-screen). EDIT maybe i should play it online? Heard the netcode ain't very good though.

FyreWulff

I think it was a slightly awkward thing to do, purely because the Anniversary Map Pack is in that weird situation where it is a stand-alone offering for people who bought Halo CEA but might not own Reach.

Then again I would guess 343 would have enough data to calculate how many people were playing purely from the Anniversary disk and what playlists they chose to use etc.

The Anniversary Disc Reach Multiplayer didn't make sense from either an implementation or business standpoint. Anniversary should have just included a code for the maps to use in normal Reach; Reach would have been WAY better off if they had just done that.

edit: It was like including a Halo 3 Multiplayer playable via Halo Wars that only had Mythic 1 playable on it, and the disc couldn't load any of the other DLC, but still including a code with it to play Mythic 1 in Halo 3.

Talents

Banned
Fuck. Regretting i sold my Bad Company 2. BF3... Just ain't fun at the moment. Shitty teams. Shitty assingments, requires use of the 4 weapons i hate.

Need Halo 4 ASAP. For the single player. Just for the challenge and novelty of a new game.
Both ODST and Halo 3 are jokes on Legendary for me (nor fun on Legendary, Heroic for life) and Reach campaign is so shitty i don't want to play it even on Easy.
And can't bring myself to play Halo Anniversary... want to play that Co-op but no one else wants (split-screen). EDIT maybe i should play it online? Heard the netcode ain't very good though.

I must be one of the only ones who liked Reach's campaign D:

Pop

The Anniversary Disc Reach Multiplayer didn't make sense from either an implementation or business standpoint. Anniversary should have just included a code for the maps to use in normal Reach; Reach would have been WAY better off if they had just done that.

edit: It was like including a Halo 3 Multiplayer playable via Halo Wars that only had Mythic 1 playable on it, and the disc couldn't load any of the other DLC, but still including a code with it to play Mythic 1 in Halo 3.

Hey I just bought the anniversary map pack last week... /wrist

I still wish they made BTB (especially) DLC required.

Reach has the worst DLC handling since bioshock 2's debacle.

Woorloog

Banned

Yeah... Want to play BTB on Highlands. And Tempest (even though it is a bit small for that).

What was wrong with Bioshock 2?

Hmm. Maybe i could play Mass Effect 1 again...

FyreWulff

Yeah, it should be the DLC destination, especially with Squad DLC gone. I'm just going to be retreading what I've already said at this point, but hopefully Anniversary and the way they handled Reach taught them that you either go all the way ala Halo 3: Mythic or don't do it at all. Reach's DLC maps themselves were good; the way they were supported in terms of matchmaking was not.

raindoc

i actually like Reach's campaign, gameplay-wise. it's a good game.
but it fails epicly in telling the story of an overwhelming invasion.

No, it is not good gameplay-wise. The enemies are too strong and accurate (the only comparable enemies were Jackal Snipers in Halo 2). Level desing is boring. Weapons are boring (outside the Grenade launcher which is rare and almost useless in the campaign). Armor abilities are too sparse... and irrelevant, the AI sees through the camo.
Rail-shooter sections are horrible.
Space combat is absolutely awful.
Vehicle health system and handling ruin vehicle sections.

while i agree with the rail shooter sequences being awful (especially on legendary or higher), i do not agree with the rest.
Reach was the first Halo game i completed on Legendary and even (S)LASO. legendary was challenging, but that's what i expected of a Legendary difficulty setting. when i later played through H3 on Legendary, i found it "disappointing", no real challenge and not really any more difficult than on Heroic, except for a few parts, like the the first army of brutes in "crow's nest".
re level design i only agree with you regarding the "stealth mission" (forgot what it was called, the sniper mission featuring 6 and jun), because sneaking didn't work at all. it was either running for it or going gung-ho.
what i missed were big battles (scarabs, for god's sake!), but other than that i think reach has a well balanced campaign that forces the player to utilize different tactics, especially on higher difficulties.

but it never felt like we were overwhelmed. at no point, not even with a covy cruiser glassing the city in the background.

Woorloog

Banned
i actually like Reach's campaign, gameplay-wise. it's a good game.
but it fails epicly in telling the story of an overwhelming invasion.

No, it is not good gameplay-wise. The enemies are too strong and accurate (the only comparable enemies were Jackal Snipers in Halo 2). Level desing is boring. Weapons are boring (outside the Grenade launcher which is rare and almost useless in the campaign). Armor abilities are too sparse... and irrelevant, the AI sees through the camo.
Rail-shooter sections are horrible.
Space combat is absolutely awful.
Vehicle health system and handling ruin vehicle sections.

Yeah... Want to play BTB on Highlands. And Tempest (even though it is a bit small for that).

What was wrong with Bioshock 2?

Hmm. Maybe i could play Mass Effect 1 again...

They released DLC maps for the game, they did not put a DLC playlist into the game.

The communtiy asked for one, they were assured it was coming, never happened.

The DLC was not given priority weighting in the existing playlists, cue people not bieng able to play the maps they payed for on a consistent basis or even at all, in some cases beyond custom game settings.

Top Bottom