• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TCKaos

it's 240 funbucks.

I'm downloading it as we speak, gentlemen.

Also, on the topic of Halo 4, since the US hasn't had any kind of announcement regarding the Arctic BR skin do you guys think that's what you'll get for voting?

Caja 117

I like that there is seemingly a deeper level of combat this time around. I mean, all this talk of possible strategies and that's ignoring the far more strategic objective gametypes. I cannot wait to see the higher level of play that comes from 4. I look at Campaign getting a really well working set of enemies and I would like to think that teams in War Games would be just as cohesive and gelled together, whilst at the same time, each having uniques abilities and traits.

I heard this before Halo Reach came to MLG, at the end they striped the game of every AA including sprint, Halo 4 will have the same fate (stuff like Camo, Riot shield, PV, ETC are detrimental for competitive play)

Weapon skins seem to be a perfect match for Halo, I really like the idea of em. Im just surprised we are getting so few, mostly only one per gun, at least according to the PAX build which I'm gonna assume was final. Its too bad they didn't explore more options with them though, a classic skin for the BR would have been great, as well as other more canon based skins.

So, is anyone making a Murder Miners OT?

Nowise10

Nice, let us know if you do it! It seems we will get Halo 4 Mountain Dew here, but not the gamefuel.

Nope.jpg

October 1st, bro.

648765088.png

Unless you live in the UK, then yah, you are totally right.

Weapon skins seem to be a perfect match for Halo, I really like the idea of em. Im just surprised we are getting so few, mostly only one per gun, at least according to the PAX build which I'm gonna assume was final. Its too bad they didn't explore more options with them though, a classic skin for the BR would have been great, as well as other more canon based skins.

So, is anyone making a Murder Miners OT?

I would expect there to be many more weapon/armour skins available either upon or post-release as micro-DLC.

CyReN

With weapon skins can you tweak the colors of them but keep the pattern? along with the armor dlc skins? or are they just what you get.

I heard this before Halo Reach came to MLG, at the end they striped the game of every AA including sprint, Halo 4 will have the same fate (stuff like Camo, Riot shield, PV, ETC are detrimental for competitive play)
You cannot easily compare Halo: Reach with Halo 4. Halo 4 has a core gameplay which feels like Halo. Unlike Reach. I am not expecting the same fate for Halo 4.

If that's what needs to happen, then I'll let it be. However, like I said, I would rather they tried to add things first, rather than scrap them from the start only to strip content away.

malfcn

it's 240 funbucks.

I'm downloading it as we speak, gentlemen.

Also, on the topic of Halo 4, since the US hasn't had any kind of announcement regarding the Arctic BR skin do you guys think that's what you'll get for voting?

Who knows, that'd be cool. They will probably sell it.

Hydranockz, are you forgetting the years of beta Starcraft 2 had to balance that complexity ? Never mind all the post release patches (much more than a console game).

Heart of the Swarm is still in beta and was meant to be out over a year ago but they continue to work on the balance.

Talents

Banned
Hydranockz, are you forgetting the years of beta Starcraft 2 had to balance that complexity ? Never mind all the post release patches (much more than a console game).

Heart of the Swarm is still in beta and was meant to be out over a year ago but they continue to work on the balance.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind if Halo 4 was post-poned another 2 years if it meant that they'd give the competitive community a good reason to keep playing Halo.

Caja 117

You cannot easily compare Halo: Reach with Halo 4. Halo 4 has a core gameplay which feels like Halo. Unlike Reach. I am not expecting the same fate for Halo 4.

You clearly know little about MLG, they probably will start with some, but by the 3rd event, they will strip it down. they did it for Halo 3 with the equipment, they did it with Reach, most of the AAs and perks only help to slow down kill times and the game in general, like you said Halo 4 CORE feels like Halo,as even CoD is striped of most of the perks in MLG, so expect to MLG halo 4 to be something more similar to the "classic halo" 343 have said is coming for Halo 4.

If that's what needs to happen, then I'll let it be. However, like I said, I would rather they tried to add things first, rather than scrap them from the start only to strip content away.

They will try most of them out, and even 2 or 3 of those will eventually make the cut.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind if Halo 4 was post-poned another 2 years if it meant that they'd give the competitive community a good reason to keep playing Halo.
I.. appreciate where you're coming from. Admirable but unrealistic. I'm more for at least 3 year gaps to avoid burn outs and constant messaging. Spread out the goodness.

But anyway - at this point I'm just looking forward to the game. Come on 343, I want to believe.

Arnie

I don't know how such logic can prevail after Reach, though. That game proved that just adding mechanics doesn't make the game better. It's about how the mechanics slot into the existing base and whether it alters the core feedback of fun that gamer's specifically play Halo for, in a negative way.

Responding to an earlier point (sorry i'm watching NFL), I know I'd have access to perks and ordnance just like my opponents, but beating a player through a strategic choice isnt what I play Halo for, and shouldn't be a significant determining factor in combat encounters, in my opinion.

Just like having to think about timing gun shots in Reach wasn't what I (or most fans) wanted from Halo.

DeadNames

Banned
Murder Miners is pretty fun. I spotted some other HaloGaf members- Henery and u4ix.

But some things that bother me are the killfeed and the INSANE amounts of framerate drop.

Good game though! Hopefully destroyable environments will become an option. Maybe set weapons. or ordnance drops

so just listened to Halo 2 OST vol. 1 for the first time in years (usually just listen to CE or halo 3). I forgot how much I dislike the incubus/breaking benjamin songs
Saying "Incubus/Breaking Benjamin songs" implies they are similar in some way. They are not. Incubus brilliantly executes 4 separate movements in an original suite composed for the game which pays homage to the progressive roots in Halo's music. Breaking Benjamin gets a one-hit wonder shoe-horned because a mildly catchy riff fit the first Brute fight.

EvB

Nope.jpg

October 1st, bro.

648765088.png

Unless you live in the UK, then yah, you are totally right.

Nope.jpg

master-chief.jpg

Halo 4 branded bottles already out and about if you can find it, the Moutain Dew Energy in the UK already has a fair bit more caffeine in it compared to the US mountain Dew.

The Halo 4 branded Raspberry "GAME FUEL" is due out in the next few weeks, although I don't know if the Game fuel version of Moutain Dew energy has an even greater caffeine content.

Oh, great.

So, no Storm Rifle skin and we've seen all the rest. They look all pretty bad.

Golden skins for all the weapons would have been cool. Or some other precious metallic looking ones. Or how about human weapons covered in Covenant alloys or Covie weapons plated with steel used in human weapons?

The skins in Halo 4 currently are just boring patterns that are pretty ugly.

Not necessarily. It is possible you still need to unlock the weapon itself before the skin is unlocked.
But also possible... i hope that isn't the case.

"Buttspace"

Aggrotek

Nope.jpg

master-chief.jpg

Halo 4 branded bottles already out and about if you can find it, the Moutain Dew Energy in the UK already has a fair bit more caffeine in it compared to the US mountain Dew.

The Halo 4 branded Raspberry "GAME FUEL" is due out in the next few weeks, although I don't know if the Game fuel version of Moutain Dew energy has an even greater caffeine content.

Oh god it's Raspberry. FUCKKKKK YESSSSS.

Gui_PT

Thanks for the link but I want to find it on the xbox itself because sometimes when I download something it doesn't get sent to my xbox for some reason

As for the post above, i can't find indie games for some reason =\

Murder Miners is pretty fun. I spotted some other HaloGaf members- Henery and u4ix.

But some things that bother me are the killfeed and the INSANE amounts of framerate drop.

Good game though! Hopefully destroyable environments will become an option. Maybe set weapons. or ordnance drops

Twas indeed a fun game. The framerate becomes noticeably crazy when there's more than eight or so players. Can't complain though considering what the game is.

Had a really good 1v1 against a guy where there was only 20 or so ping.

A big area where it could be improved is the aiming. Feels like slow turn, but it's the aim acceleration.

Overall really fun little indie game and worth the loose change!

I kind of roamed around feeling like I could do my own thing in the maelstrom; you can really own your play style and feel like the game is rewarding you a bit for it.
Exactly.

That is the fundamental shift from earlier Halo games to this one, and it's a shift that Call of Duty hammered out and made fantastically profitable in the console space. It's a shift that, by design, says that single matches, single battles, and single results -- whether undertaken as a team or an individual -- are largely irrelevant. They are sideshows staged in service of the metagame, in which you level up and show people you have levelled up. You grind XP and change your armour so everyone can see you have ground a lot of XP, and you build a variety of 'classes' that give you a semblance of control and responsiveness ("It's not that I am inferior; I just didn't pick the right loadout for that situation; back to the start menu!"). Wins and losses matter less. How your team did, whether they got beaten, matters less. All the trappings of competitive play, the 4v4 (or 5v5) set-ups, matter less. They are stage dressing for a fundamentally solo performance in which you measure your current performance only against your own previous performances, and the game doesn't punish you for falling short. The metric for all of this is XP, and conveniently it's a metric that can never run negative, never hurt your feelings.

And as I've said before, there's nothing inherently wrong with it; in fact it's more successful precisely because everyone can be a winner, always. But until now I've always been glad that there is an alternative to it among console FPS.

The alternative was Halo. Now it is not an alternative. Which is depressing. I'll get over it, but I feel like the game is going somewhere that isn't for me. Which is something I didn't feel even in my deepest moments of disappointment with Reach.

Arnie

Exactly.

That is the fundamental shift from earlier Halo games to this one, and it's a shift that Call of Duty hammered out and made fantastically profitable in the console space. It's a shift that, by design, says that single matches, single battles, and single results -- whether undertaken as a team or an individual -- are largely irrelevant. They are sideshows staged in service of the metagame, in which you level up and show people you have levelled up. You grind XP and change your armour so everyone can see you have ground a lot of XP, and you build a variety of 'classes' that give you a semblance of control and responsiveness ("It's not that I am inferior; I just didn't pick the right loadout for that situation; back to the start menu!"). Wins and losses matter less. How your team did, whether they got beaten, matters less. All the trappings of competitive play, the 4v4 (or 5v5) set-ups, matter less. They are stage dressing for a fundamentally solo performance in which you measure your current performance only against your own previous performances, and the game doesn't punish you for falling short. The metric for all of this is XP, and conveniently it's a metric that can never run negative, never hurt your feelings.

And as I've said before, there's nothing inherently wrong with it; in fact it's more successful precisely because everyone can be a winner, always. But until now I've always been glad that there is an alternative to it among console FPS.

The alternative was Halo. Now it is not an alternative. Which is depressing. I'll get over it, but I feel like the game is going somewhere that isn't for me. Which is something I didn't feel even in my deepest moments of disappointment with Reach.
Brilliant post.

God, can you imagine if 343 had taken a leaf out of Blizzard's playbook and we'd been given a steady stream of direct-feed footage of Halo pros playing the Halo 4 and showing off new weapons, modes, and maps in beta over the last year? When developers realize that their fanbase are stakeholders in the multiplayer experience, that they are constituents and not just customers, everything gets better.

heckfu

Banned
Exactly.

I feel like you and I have the exact opposite opinions of this game so far.

Top Bottom