• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Computron

your making me wish I tried out the map editor.

... must, resist

Sometime the stupidity boils to the top and I decide that I should spend the time to make a map and make some tags only to realize a week later how bad they screwed us over with the locked out POS they call an SDK and how I am wasting my time...

sigh...

DONT DO IT MAN. SAVE YOURSELF!

Karl2177

I have one thing OT and one thing not.

Now I'm not too much of an anti-social dude, but this seriously bugs me. I'm doing some work in the library an I'm practically the only person on one of the floors. There's quite possibly a hundred other tables around me, but the one table this guy decides to sit at is the one I'm at. I have my headphones in and he taps me on the shoulder asking if the seat next to me is taken. I respond no, and he sits in it. Really, dude? Really? There are a ton of seats that are completely open and wouldn't have distracted me from my reading.

As for Halo, I probably won't be playing it too much in the near future. My roommate and I are going to go through the FPS campaigns before Halo 4 launches, and we were arguing how we want to do them. Difficulty and order are the 2 big things. What is your recommendation HaloGAF?

u4iX

Now I'm not too much of an anti-social dude, but this seriously bugs me. I'm doing some work in the library an I'm practically the only person on one of the floors. There's quite possibly a hundred other tables around me, but the one table this guy decides to sit at is the one I'm at. I have my headphones in and he taps me on the shoulder asking if the seat next to me is taken. I respond no, and he sits in it. Really, dude? Really? There are a ton of seats that are completely open and wouldn't have distracted me from my reading.

As for Halo, I probably won't be playing it too much in the near future. My roommate and I are going to go through the FPS campaigns before Halo 4 launches, and we were arguing how we want to do them. Difficulty and order are the 2 big things. What is your recommendation HaloGAF?

Do you think he was hitting on you? (srs)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

THAT WAS ME KARL.

No, not really, I'm at work.

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but why aren't Griffball and Living dead simply in "action sack" or done on special weekends like they were in Halo 3?

It can't be the "population" issue since that wasn't a problem with 3.

I'd be willing to bet if those two playlists were "moved" or even removed that the other playlists would benefit greatly.

Living Dead is better with over 8 players so it wouldnt work well thrown in with other playlists.

I dont buy that people only play them to boost. Reach isnt very good so its no surprise that people dont want to play the other playlists. At least Grifball is fun.

I like the idea of doing it like 3 but instead of just the weekend make it "playlist of the week" where you rotate games like Grifball, Living Dead, and various others. That way its just one playlist and it also gives people a reason to put the game in and see whats new.

He wants that Washington Monument Dee, man

image.php

u4iX

If all you guys are getting CS:GO, let's get a solid group togethre and play the hell out of it. Stream strats and everything.

I'll provide the horrible yet fitting rap theme songs for our adventures.

willow ve

He's hitting on you.

What do you mean "FPS campaigns" ?? If you're talking just the Halo campaigns do them in chronological order.

Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3 (not really sure where ODST and 3 fit together. any cannon crazies on GAF today?)

He wants the dick.

And the correct order would be (Reach), Halo: CE, Halo 2, (ODST), Halo 3. All of them on heroic, as it was meant to be played.

Games in parenthesis can be omitted imo.

Risen

Definitely picking up, but those videos don't make me fall in love with it.

If all you guys are getting CS:GO, let's get a solid group togethre and play the hell out of it. Stream strats and everything.

Only if you promise to dance on stream.

Yeah... Want to play BTB on Highlands. And Tempest (even though it is a bit small for that).

I have never played Highlands 8v8. Not once. It is an 8v8 map. The DLC integration in Reach has been almost scandalous, and a bit of a waste of money.

Halo games have always been a medium paced arena shooter. They have always been on the slower side. But, if you give players an accurate, fast killing, and hard to use utility weapon along with supporting weapons that fit in their niche and are viable options to actually pick up and use; the game becomes much faster.

I don't think default sprint inherently makes the game faster, but makes it slower. Now they have said that getting shot while sprint makes you slow down. But, in the E3 and RTX videos I haven't really seen that stopping power effect be very useful. Sprint just seems that in my opinion is a get out of jail free card, because in Halo most weapon battles last more than a second or two. In turn giving someone time to turn and run. Now if the stopping power is akin to Gears 3 stopping power essentially making default walking speed faster than rodie running, I'd be fine with sprint as a default. Mostly because it can only be used as an offensive ability and not as a defensive strategy like Reach.

I just think if 343i buffed the utility weapons instead of constantly nerfing them, and buffing the other weapons accordingly the game would play faster.

Then again, this is just my opinion and I won't know for sure until I actually play the game for myself and see if sprint is bad in Halo 4.

I think my problem with sprint is that is makes the games more predictable and repetitive in their unravelling. For example, on Reflection, most of the time it's spawn; collect power weapons/die fighting for power weapons; take power weapons to chokepoint (snipe)/sprint towards choke point to wrestle back the power weapons and power point on the map.

The dashing haste to reach the more notable parts of a map leads to a negligence of combat on the less 'important' areas of a map.

nillapuddin

Sometime the stupidity boils to the top and I decide that I should spend the time to make a map and make some tags only to realize a week later how bad they screwed us over with the locked out POS they call an SDK and how I am wasting my time...

sigh...

DONT DO IT MAN. SAVE YOURSELF!

ill try a steady stream of pc games, but it will be a long 77 days.

Ive proved to myself I can do whatever I want with Reach forge, I think Im done with that now

I wouldnt mind attempting somethin easy like 'Longest' or something on PC, a tiny challenge Id think, Im not sure how the system works

But your words do strike a chord, I promise to keep myself at bay for as long as possible.

Woorloog

Banned
I have never played Highlands 8v8. Not once. It is an 8v8 map. The DLC integration in Reach has been almost scandalous, and a bit of a waste of money.

Indeed. I'm not sure i've played... umm, what was the Invasion map in Noble pack called? 8v8 either.
BTB should be DLC required.

Held a few CounterStrike tourneys for my students at the Day Job a couple of weeks ago. Was a blast introducing a new generation to the joys of "Terrorists Win", lol.

Risen

I take it you've seen the video buried in the depths of my YouTube channel.

Ray posted that little gem in the last OT.

I think my problem with sprint is that is makes the games more predictable and repetitive in their unravelling. For example, on Reflection, most of the time it's spawn; collect power weapons/die fighting for power weapons; take power weapons to chokepoint (snipe)/sprint towards choke point to wrestle back the power weapons and power point on the map.

Minus the word sprint, you just described every single game on Reflection... ever. Sprint just makes all that happen faster.

IHaveIce

Banned

sounds good.

Damn the content of this game looks incredible for the price. 16 maps?

And no aim assist? boing !

Arnie

Used to play CS on PC, back when I predominantly played PC games (ironically, at that time, I used to look upon Halo 2 multiplayer with utter scorn). Going to feel strange, and utterly wrong playing CS GO with a controller.

Computron

ill try a steady stream of pc games, but it will be a long 77 days.

Ive proved to myself I can do whatever I want with Reach forge, I think Im done with that now

I wouldnt mind attempting somethin easy like 'Longest' or something on PC, a tiny challenge Id think, Im not sure how the system works

But your words do strike a chord, I promise to keep myself at bay for as long as possible.

The largest Halo Mapping community (Modacity) hates H2v so much that the wrote a long ass open letter to the developer:
Buyer's Remorse - An open letter to the devs of H2V

Seriously, save yourself the trouble. The SDK is so gimped you will only be doing yourself a disservice.
Who the hell knows why they decided to remove a ton of the lifeblood features right before launch, it doesn't matter because they aren't going to be patched or hacked into existence.
just don't waste your own time.

If you gotta learn 3d modeling and level development, go with Cryengine or UDK, or hope they release a non-gimped version of Halo on the PC in the future. H:CE on the otherhand is allright as far as modding goes after a few additions, but fuck if it isn't annoying.

He's hitting on you.

What do you mean "FPS campaigns" ?? If you're talking just the Halo campaigns do them in chronological order.

Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3 (not really sure where ODST and 3 fit together. any cannon crazies on GAF today?)
The last time I played all the games before Reach, I played Halo 2 up until the ships leave New Mombasa, cut to ODST, and then back to H2. Wasn't worth it; in the future I'll play ODST after completing all of H2, which I may have to get on PC because the xbox version looks like shit on the 360.

Woorloog

Banned
The last time I played all the games before Reach, I played Halo 2 up until the ships leave New Mombasa, cut to ODST, and then back to H2. Wasn't worth it; in the future I'll play ODST after completing all of H2, which I may have to get on PC because the xbox version looks like shit on the 360.

Halo 2 remake with ODST-styled New Mombasa for consistency. Oh and checkbox: Launch ODST after New Mombasa yes/no?

Karl2177

I always forget about my dick when I interact with other people. Thanks for the reminder guys. :)

What I mean by FPS Halo games is basically all but Wars. I wanted to do CE-2-3-ODST-Reach to showcase the engines. He wants to do CE-2-ODST-3. I then said we might as well do Reach at the start. He just gave me a "Really bro? Really?" look.

I always forget about my dick when I interact with other people. Thanks for the reminder guys. :)

What I mean by FPS Halo games is basically all but Wars. I wanted to do CE-2-3-ODST-Reach to showcase the engines. He wants to do CE-2-ODST-3. I then said we might as well do Reach at the start. He just gave me a "Really bro? Really?" look.

Would you try to fit CEA in there?

Tawpgun

I hope not; no aim assist would be the only reason I'm considering picking it up.
Please. Anyone who begs for no aim assist is someone who has never played a shooter on console with no aim assist.

Quake Arena on XBLA was garbage because of no aim assist. Consoles need it. Now, they can definitely lower it a smidge. That's what Nexiuz did and it was fine. But no aim assist whats so ever is bad bad bad.

Minus the word sprint, you just described every single game on Reflection... ever. Sprint just makes all that happen faster.

Reflection is the worst offender but I feel it still holds true in general. Same with jetpack on Swordbase, it's just a bland rush to get back to the top as quickly as possible without much inbetween. Map design is obviously huge when it comes to an ever burgeoning sandbox stuffed with game altering abilities.

I personally enjoy using sprint, I choose nothing else in Reach but overall I feel as though the classic Halo's combat benefited from not using sprint, the gameplay was far more 'emergent' as Frankie would say.

nillapuddin

That makes me really sadface, I really thought I could get a handful of hours of happiness building a maze but apparently not.

Would (anyone) ever trust another Halo PC port after how poorly H2V was done?

It seems like Custom Edition
H:CE:CE ;)
was done well, atleast judging by the content its produced comparatively speaking

Woorloog

Banned
Please. Anyone who begs for no aim assist is someone who has never played a shooter on console with no aim assist.

Quake Arena on XBLA was garbage because of no aim assist. Consoles need it. Now, they can definitely lower it a smidge. That's what Nexiuz did and it was fine. But no aim assist whats so ever is bad bad bad.

I think Codemasters claimed Operation Flashpoint DR didn't have aim assist.
Having played the game, there is minimal amount of aim assist... Apparently they realised the game needed it, even if just a small amount.
Also, just played Just Cause 2, as long as the minigun is mounted, it doesn't have any aim assist, making its use nearly impossible.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Everything I see says the 21st... Tuesday?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Counter-Strike-GO/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841125a?downloadType=GameVideo&noSplash=1

Click "Overview" on the bottom of the screenshots then hit the next arrow to go to page 2.

Maybe they changed it and forgot the official page though.

ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE: 8/22/2012
DEVELOPER: Valve Corporation
PUBLISHER: Valve Corporation
GENRE: Shooter

If it's an arcade game they usually come out on Wednesdays.

Computron

That makes me really sadface, I really thought I could get a handful of hours of happiness building a maze but apparently not.

Would (anyone) ever trust another Halo PC port after how poorly H2V was done?

It seems like Custom Edition
H:CE:CE ;)
was done well, atleast judging by the content its produced comparatively speaking

That's the thing, HiredGun, the developers of H2v, that were disbanded shortly after the game shipped, were very open and were taking suggestions from the community.

It seemed like this was going to be THE game for modders, but then a couple months before the launch they went quiet. the game came out and everything they were showing and stuff they were promising just disappeared!

I don't think anyone has said exactly what happened behind the scenes, it's all kinda mysterious M$ type shit.

If they had just come out with what the had promised and handle GFWL a little better this game would be awesome.

I would be up for a retry with Halo 3, but I am not sure if other would be as willing.

I remember one of my playthroughs of AotCR in Anniversary with the skull that disabled aim assist. Got to where you find a Scorpion and tried going my normal route through the tunnel and trying to shoot the Shade turret you see immediately afterwards and it was damn near impossible. Though that wasn't a legitimate case of the aiming being difficult, it's just that without the magnetism the thing has no actual correlation to the crosshair whatsoever; just shoots wherever the fuck it wants.

If they had just come out with what the had promised and handle GFWL a little better this game would be awesome.

I would be up for a retry with Halo 3, but I am not sure if other would be as willing.
I don't think it mattered what they included with the game the thing was doomed from the start with its forced DX10 as a poor attempt to get people on Vista. Oh Microsoft...

Woorloog

Banned
I remember one of my playthroughs of AotCR in Anniversary with the skull that disabled aim assist. Got to where you find a Scorpion and tried going my normal route through the tunnel and trying to shoot the Shade turret you see immediately afterwards and it was damn near impossible. Though that wasn't a legitimate case of the aiming being difficult, it's just that without the magnetism the thing has no actual correlation to the crosshair whatsoever; just shoots wherever the fuck it wants.

Halo CE Scorpion... It doesn't matter if you have aim assist or not, it is completly crazy regardless.

MrBig

I don't think anyone has said exactly what happened behind the scenes, it's all kinda mysterious M$ type shit.

Yes, they even hired some vets from the Halo CE modding community to contribute to the modding tools and work with the dev team in getting the tools the community needed ready. MS stepped in late in developement and hardlined them on pushing it as one of Vista's selling points, and of course they took their xbox mentality of "modding is bad" into the PC space and forced the restrictions on them.

Then they probably saw terrible sales because none of the Halo community wanted anything to do with it because of that, wondered why, and probably assumed that PC gamers aren't worth their time so we'll never see any more PC ports.

Top Bottom