• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, it was. I've always wondered if this was from the H2 version of the Ark/Portal level:

http://i.imgur.com/YFd5Yl.jpg[img]

edit: Cortana/Floodgate (used to be one continous level) in Halo 2's engine:

[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/oxboxproto.png[img][/QUOTE]

Gotta be, or the Chief was used to test some Arbiter levels (with Jackals for some reason). I guess.

Also, i don't think Cortana and Floodgate ever were one level, IIRC the Floodgate was originally somewhat different and Cortana was far longer. But i might be wrong... Anyway, the original engind for Floodgate was much more interesting. (The ships reactor was rigged to blow up)

I should really try to play without notifications. Then again, I like to unlock achievements out of the blue. Maybe I should just resort to not looking at the achievements prior to playing the game. At least I could avoid another "This Heresy Will Stay Your Feet" debacle this way... It almost made me hate the final level.
Achievements don't mean much to me, but it's interesting to go back and see what I got and see if there's anything I want to shoot for on the next playthrough.

I have doubts you have even played Halo.
I've watched him play Halo 4, if that helps. ;-)

Tunavi

Banned
Achievements don't mean much to me, but it's interesting to go back and see what I got and see if there's anything I want to shoot for on the next playthrough.

I've watched him play Halo 4, if that helps. ;-)
haha I meant to say I haven't had fun playing Reach because I sure had a blast donging on Suddoth

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, do we have any idea whether 4v4 or 5v5 is the standard in Halo 4?

Squad Slayer was fun... for some reason 5v5 worked well in Reach, IMO.

Really old post but...

You're bad until further noti--

actually you're just always bad. forever. that's CS.

edit: unless it's gungame where you're awesome until you get to the nade level and then everyone catches up and one motherfucker manages to knife you to steal a level from you and then you lose and the game is over
Except that the CSS Glock is a POS and so I always get stuck on the first level

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Maybe someone can explain this to me, but why aren't Griffball and Living dead simply in "action sack" or done on special weekends like they were in Halo 3?

It can't be the "population" issue since that wasn't a problem with 3.

I'd be willing to bet if those two playlists were "moved" or even removed that the other playlists would benefit greatly.

GhaleonEB

Was it planned to be a Trilogy then? What would have been left for Halo 3?

I don't think it was planned as a trilogy at all. We might still have had the Flood to deal with - not sure how we wipe out Gravemind while on Earth - but the Covenant part of the story looked to wrap up in much the fashion it did in Halo 3. (I think that's part of the reason there's so little story in Halo 3 - they'd told most of it, and just had the endgame to wrap up. Among other issues that cropped up in development.)

Homeboyd

One thing I hope 343 attempts from CoD are the wager matches and gun game. Wager matches would be so epic for the 1v1's people occasionally line up from these forums (and would also be great for teams or "groups/clans" if implemented). Something about taking someone's credits/spoints whatever in addition to beating them.

Gun game just seems like it would be a lot of fun on the casual side of things.

Trey

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but why aren't Griffball and Living dead simply in "action sack" or done on special weekends like they were in Halo 3?

I'd be willing to bet if those two playlists were "moved" or even removed that the other playlists would benefit greatly.

The same reason we have a Team Swat playlist: people like easy kills.

Swarmerr

I agree with Ghaleon on his post about legendary limiting options in reach and halo 2. I would prefer that the AI increased with each level of difficulty and that "squads" of units actually worked together than blindly rush at you and attempt to kill you.

Regardless playing the campaign looks like it will be a blast anyway. I don't know about you guys but the one thing I really disliked about halo 2 and CE's campaign was the lack of allies at your disposal. I understand the chief was basically alone in taking out threats in halo lore, but still, it sucked not having allies. It seems the chief will be working with spartan IV's and more unsc personnel than previous games, which for me will be a good thing.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think it was planned as a trilogy at all. We might still have had the Flood to deal with - not sure how we wipe out Gravemind while on Earth - but the Covenant part of the story looked to wrap up in much the fashion it did in Halo 3. (I think that's part of the reason there's so little story in Halo 3 - they'd told most of it, and just had the endgame to wrap up. Among other issues that cropped up in development.)

AFAIK, Halo 2 wasn't even planned for originally, indeed Halo CE is rather self-contained game. But popularity demanded sequel...

Really wish Bungie had put more effort into Halo 3 story and characters specifically, the Arbiter being a sidekick was so stupid.

Computron

YFd5Yl.jpg

Dat dynamic shadowing.

ibwgyIbDmq3PyQ.gif

Seriously, zombie's would be so much more tense if the maps were a lot darker and the survivors had shadow casting flashlights on the end of their shotguns.

You could watch the shadows of zombie's destroying your teammates around the corner, and it would get darker and darker as more and more survivor's die.

FyreWulff

Gotta be, or the Chief was used to test some Arbiter levels (with Jackals for some reason). I guess.

Also, i don't think Cortana and Floodgate ever were one level, IIRC the Floodgate was originally somewhat different and Cortana was far longer. But i might be wrong... Anyway, the original engind for Floodgate was much more interesting. (The ships reactor was rigged to blow up)

Okay, yeah, I slightly mis-remembered.

floodgateslide.png

Although.. how many people noticed the pre-Reactor parts of Cortana were based off the internal design of a Carrier in the final Halo 3? The skull and Cortana terminal are in a room that has the same base geometry as Halfjaw's ship bridge (if you take away the flood infestation)

A significant number of those people only showed up for the weekend playlist anyway, and mostly just took population off of Team Slayer and Social Slayer. If you made them weekend lists, then those people would just show up for the weekend.

I also imagine rigging playlists to turn themselves off and on for the weekend was a headache, because if it were easy, Halo 3 would still be having Double EXPs rotating.

Fuchsdh

Dat dynamic shadowing.

ibwgyIbDmq3PyQ.gif

Seriously, zombie's would be so much more tense if the maps were a lot darker and the survivors had shadow casting flashlights on the end of their shotguns.

You could watch the shadows of zombie's destroying your teammates around the corner, and it would get darker and darker as more and more survivor's die.

I really hate the "infected" map variants because of the filters. A truly "dark" lighting scheme would definitely be better.

Bsigg12

BTW, do we have any idea whether 4v4 or 5v5 is the standard in Halo 4?

Squad Slayer was fun... for some reason 5v5 worked well in Reach, IMO.

It made slayer more competitive in my opinion. I feel like it increased the pace of the game and kept the maps feeling more intimate. It's crazy to think that adding just one person to each side can help the pacing and overall experience of a slayer match.

GhaleonEB

Okay, yeah, I slightly mis-remembered.

floodgateslide.png

Although.. how many people noticed the pre-Reactor parts of Cortana were based off the internal design of a Carrier in the final Halo 3? The skull and Cortana terminal are in a room that has the same base geometry as Halfjaw's ship bridge (if you take away the flood infestation)

A significant number of those people only showed up for the weekend playlist anyway, and mostly just took population off of Team Slayer and Social Slayer. If you made them weekend lists, then those people would just show up for the weekend.

I also imagine rigging playlists to turn themselves off and on for the weekend was a headache, because if it were easy, Halo 3 would still be having Double EXPs rotating.
My memory is, Floodgate was intended to be much longer. The part where we went into the ship after Cortana and got the recording was supposed to keep going; the actual Cortana mission was mostly set inside that ship, in reality, not High Charity. The High Charity mission was to be much longer and different, but was cut. So the interior of the carrier did double duty on both Floodgate and Cortana.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

How do you know that?

Also, if people are using certain playlists to "boost" there's an issue with that playlist (at least IMO).

I just really hope there aren't population killing playlists in H4, because I believe if those playlists weren't there, they would go play the more traditional modes. But I could (probably am ) be wrong.

Woorloog

Banned
It made slayer more competitive in my opinion. I feel like it increased the pace of the game and kept the maps feeling more intimate. It's crazy to think that adding just one person to each side can help the pacing and overall experience of a slayer match.

Yeah... I did like 5v5 Slayer in Halo 3 as well. I think. Can't remember really.. but considering how much i played Social Slayer, i must've liked it.

FyreWulff

How do you know that?

Optimatch forum posts that I can no longer link because Bungie locked it away. My short foray into data-collecting Halo 3 playlist populations also displayed it:

pub

Note how the not-Slayer block of playlists doesn't really change in size. Ranked Slayer stays steady, and Social Slayer sees the most flux.

willow ve

How do you know that?

Also, if people are using certain playlists to "boost" there's an issue with that playlist (at least IMO).

I just really hope there aren't population killing playlists in H4, because I believe if those playlists weren't there, they would go play the more traditional modes. But I could (probably am ) be wrong.

It's been said before, but Grifball and living dead are boosting playlists. The easiest way to "fix" the amount of medal/commendation/credit farming that goes on in living dead and Grifball would be to simply remove credits from those lists. Or as has been suggested simply remove kill counts from the gametype.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Campaign will be the first thing I play like with all other Halo games. I'll probably do Heroic solo if it scales like that like it did for Halo 3 and Reach. And then I don't know if I'll ever touch it again. I've also never beaten a Halo game on Legendary. Pretty weird considering I'm a huge Halo fan.

Day off stream continues.

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Halo 2 was supposed to be the final game in the halo series

Bungie screwed up bad in development (combination of feature creep and technology working against them) and forced halo 3 on themselves

We might not have had a halo 4 if they didnt mess up halo 2, come to think of it. Quite possibly no halo 3, either.

willow ve

Halo 2 was supposed to be the final game in the halo series

Bungie screwed up bad in development (combination of feature creep and technology working against them) and forced halo 3 on themselves

We might not have had a halo 4 if they didnt mess up halo 2, come to think of it. Quite possibly no halo 3, either.

Actually glad they screwed up then. Even with the faults I still found 3 to be the best online multiplayer.

Top Bottom