• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Tawpgun

You can turn it off.

As long as it has some.

Also, Tying Up Loose Ends achievement from CEA is some straight up horseshit. You have to kill every Elite on Keyes. So I go about doing that, even backtracking to get some I might have missed. Went down every corridor...

Even went through a couple waves of the spawning Spec Ops elites right before I get in the banshee. After 10 minutes of searching, nothing else was spawning. So I get in the Banshee...

No achievement. It's the only one I'm missing from CEA.

Woorloog

Banned
Also, Tying Up Loose Ends achievement from CEA is some straight up horseshit. You have to kill every Elite on Keyes. So I go about doing that, even backtracking to get some I might have missed. Went down every corridor...

I assume they need to be dead, not necessarily killed by you, because the Flood may kill some. Oh and sometimes explosions send the elites to the coolant pools or some other places...

I remember the CEA Scorpion's movement being the problem, not the firing.

Yeah, the movement was odd but the cannon is really random. The potential hit area is larger than the reticule.

Either a) the game is completely screwing you over and is just plain glitching (most likely)

or b) you missed one in the very earliest stages of the level.

The latter one is more likely actually, human error is the most common reason for any issue. It is damn easy to miss some Elites on that map..

As long as it has some.

Even went through a couple waves of the spawning Spec Ops elites right before I get in the banshee. After 10 minutes of searching, nothing else was spawning. So I get in the Banshee...

Either a) the game is completely screwing you over and is just plain glitching (most likely)

or b) you missed one in the very earliest stages of the level.

nillapuddin

That's the thing, HiredGun, the developers of H2v, that were disbanded shortly after the game shipped, were very open and were taking suggestions from the community.

It seemed like this was going to be THE game for modders, but then a couple months before the launch they went quiet. the game came out and everything they were showing and stuff they were promising just disappeared!

I don't think anyone has said exactly what happened behind the scenes, it's all kinda mysterious M$ type shit.

If they had just come out with what the had promised and handle GFWL a little better this game would be awesome.

I would be up for a retry with Halo 3, but I am not sure if other would be as willing.

Wow, how bizarre that M$ pulled the plug on these guys, as Ive now read into it some more I see what your saying about features missing and stuff

What a shame, I cant imagine the downside of having a PC base

... Unless they didnt want competition for Halo 3?

Even still, thats a bit more of a 'conspiracy theory' than Id like to have, but it does make me wonder.

Thanks for the info man, apparently saving me quite a bit of frustration in my pre-Halo 4, "TIME ISNT SPEEDING UP NICK! so play something else" mode

Gui_PT

As long as it has some.

Had a problem while helping Bobs with that one.

A few of them spawn in some corridors you don't even have to go through, for some reason.

Like, you're on the top floor and they spawn in the corridors at the bottom.

Just keep looking I guess.

Sai-kun

Banned
Are people getting it for 360? I'm going to be getting it for PC when my computer comes later this week, but I'll get it for xbox too if there are people to play it with

Are we SteamBros? If not, you should fix that and add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/technicolors/
and anyone else here who has steam, add me!

I will hopefully be getting CSGO for PC.

I have one thing OT and one thing not.

Now I'm not too much of an anti-social dude, but this seriously bugs me. I'm doing some work in the library an I'm practically the only person on one of the floors. There's quite possibly a hundred other tables around me, but the one table this guy decides to sit at is the one I'm at. I have my headphones in and he taps me on the shoulder asking if the seat next to me is taken. I respond no, and he sits in it. Really, dude? Really? There are a ton of seats that are completely open and wouldn't have distracted me from my reading.

He's into you. Sounds awkward as hell though.

Apparently theres some missable elites. Like the ones on the ship facing you beyond the hole before you drop down into the canyon below.

Also theres a number of corridors that need to be explored to find them all.

Its very manageable. I got it first try, although ive heard some horror stories of people being unable to get it.

Your right, ill just try the demo. Are many people getting it tomorrow on live that want to play tomorrow night??

It's been said before, but Grifball and living dead are boosting playlists. The easiest way to "fix" the amount of medal/commendation/credit farming that goes on in living dead and Grifball would be to simply remove credits from those lists. Or as has been suggested simply remove kill counts from the gametype.

You cant do that because there is a TON of legit players who just like those gametypes. You'd be punishing them, those kids probably want to earn armor and ranks too just not the same way other people do.

Thats like removing 1-50 because there were cheaters in it.

You end up with something noone wants to play (Arena)

BigShow36

Please. Anyone who begs for no aim assist is someone who has never played a shooter on console with no aim assist.

Quake Arena on XBLA was garbage because of no aim assist. Consoles need it. Now, they can definitely lower it a smidge. That's what Nexiuz did and it was fine. But no aim assist whats so ever is bad bad bad.

I played tons of Nexuiz with it off. That's a fast-paced arena shooter, and it plays better without aim assist.

Games like CS and CoD would be leagues better without aim assist because of how the games are designed. They have high-damage, high-rof, and slow movement. When you throw in aim assist on top of that, it devolves largely into who sees who first.

Do some games benefit from a small amount of aim assist? Sure, but I hate the automatic assumption that all console games need it.

Risen

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Counter-Strike-GO/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841125a?downloadType=GameVideo&noSplash=1

Click "Overview" on the bottom of the screenshots then hit the next arrow to go to page 2.

Maybe they changed it and forgot the official page though.

If it's an arcade game they usually come out on Wednesdays.

Weird... even on the CS forums the official release date says the 21st. Every publication has it as that as well. Guess it will be a surprise one way or the other...

A few of them spawn in some corridors you don't even have to go through, for some reason.

I remember doing this one with Elzar. I was trying to kill all the elites in the final hangar and he just hops into the Banshee :lol Not the first time he ruined my chances of getting an achievement in anniversary :p

I have one thing OT and one thing not.

Now I'm not too much of an anti-social dude, but this seriously bugs me. I'm doing some work in the library an I'm practically the only person on one of the floors. There's quite possibly a hundred other tables around me, but the one table this guy decides to sit at is the one I'm at. I have my headphones in and he taps me on the shoulder asking if the seat next to me is taken. I respond no, and he sits in it. Really, dude? Really? There are a ton of seats that are completely open and wouldn't have distracted me from my reading.
That sounds weird dude, but pretty funny.
lXNiO.jpg

Just saw this first impression article

This quote bothers me,

The BR on the other hand is a bit… odd. The main issue I have with it is that it has a noticeable spread similar to H3′s Battle Rifle. It felt inferior to the DMR and Carbine. I frequently missed shots that I should of placed. But because of the spread, I had no way of making accurate shots 100% of the time. As of now I’m not sure if this gun should be used in competitive play. It’s impossible to predict the weapons spread unlike other games such as Counter Strike. Where you have to control the recoil and spread. In halo 4 I have no way to predict the spread, I am at the mercy of the game to pretty much decide whether or not I get my shots placed.

Really hope either this guy is wrong, or 343 has changed the spread/recoil. I really hope the sandbox podcast explains why someone thought adding recoil, and keeping spread on the BR was a good idea.

If the BR is as awful as this guy makes it out to be, I'll just stick with the DMR. But I'd like to be able to use both without having to deal with the bullshit that is spread.

DesertFox

As for Halo, I probably won't be playing it too much in the near future. My roommate and I are going to go through the FPS campaigns before Halo 4 launches, and we were arguing how we want to do them. Difficulty and order are the 2 big things. What is your recommendation HaloGAF?

My suggestion for a complete chronological playthrough:

Reach>CEA>Halo 2(Up until Regret jumps out of New Mombasa)>ODST>Finish Halo 2>Halo 3

I know a little nuts with the disc change in the middle of Halo 2, but that's what I plan on doing to replay all campaigns chronologically.

wwm0nkey

Just a heads up for those of you who like Achievements and are getting CS:GO, there is one for getting 100 awards, so basically you have to get 100 achievements to get a real achievement lol

FyreWulff

This quote bothers me,

Really hope either this guy is wrong, or 343 has changed the spread/recoil. I really hope the sandbox podcast explains why someone thought adding recoil, and keeping spread on the BR was a good idea.

If the BR is as awful as this guy makes it out to be, I'll just stick with the DMR. But I'd like to be able to use both without having to deal with the bullshit that is spread.

Pull up Halo OTs and threads -> Find > Bloom -> Replace -> Spread

continue the cycle

BigShow36

This quote bothers me,

Hope you like dealing with Bloom! Basically we get to choose between a random spread BR and a blooming DMR. Great design right there. Feels like Halo.

My future is Black.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hope you like dealing with Bloom! Basically we get to choose between a random spread BR and a blooming DMR. Great design right there. Feels like Halo.

My future is Black.

Tell me your impressions of Halo 4. I need to know how it plays from someone who has played it!

Pull up Halo OTs and threads -> Find > Bloom -> Replace -> Spread

continue the cycle

I just find it odd that this is the first impressions I have heard that mention it. I HIGHLY doubt it will be anywhere as bad as Reach's bloom though.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

I haven't had trouble landing shots with it, but YMMV, skill gap, bks, etc.

nillapuddin

My future is Black.

I dont want to pull this card

But have you played the game?
From everything Ive seen (which I assume is all youve seen also)

Nobody is having a problem getting a kill, consistently

edit: wow, everyone pulled that card

Tawpgun

Believe me I checked every corridor possible. Several times.

GhaleonEB

It could be that he was using the BR outside of its intended range, and thus the spread was impacting his ability to hit targets greater than at close to mid range. Comparing it to the DMR and Carbine at long range is going to get the result he described.

BigShow36

Tell me your impressions of Halo 4. I need to know how it plays from someone who has played it!

Let's play Pretend Land! Where we wholeheartedly bury our heads in the sand and pretend that we can't determine anything from vidoes, hands-on impressions, developer statements and past experience.

Yay, what a fun game! Wee, this is more fun that reality!

This quote bothers me,

I don't really plan to use the BR much. The DMR will be my weapon of choice, dat super precision.

lybertyboy

It could be that he was using the BR outside of its intended range, and thus the spread was impacting his ability to hit targets greater.

I would guess he might have been playing on Longbow, and yeah, you're not supposed to be able to crossmap with the BR.

FyreWulff

I just find it odd that this is the first impressions I have heard that mention it. I HIGHLY doubt it will be anywhere as bad as Reach's bloom though.

Eh. People have always complained about whatever mechanic is on a weapon to keep it from being a death laser pointer. Halo 3 era was all bitching about spread, Reach era was bloom, and the last we heard on the BR, I assumed people were going to bitch about recoil.

Any sane developer is going to have some sort of mechanic to keep a mid-rifle from being usable as a sniper rifle across maps.

edit: ellis'd

u4iX

It might be because he didn't realize the differences on H3's being an actual projectile that required you to lead your shots and H4's being changed to hitscan.

I'm just itching to get my own hands on it at this point.

lybertyboy

It might be because he didn't realize the differences on H3's being an actual projectile that required you to lead your shots and H4's being changed to hitscan.

That's a good point.

CyReN

Skip MLG Raleigh and go to Toronto with me, they have milks in bags and Halo 4.

BigShow36

It is quite worrying, but may have been tweaked since E3 build.

There has to be mechanic to stop cross mapping, hope the Sandbox Podcast explains the reasoning behind what they have chosen.

The mechanic is called "Lowering the Aim Assist."

It's a wild concept, I know; allowing a player's ability to balance the game rather than hard-coded randomness is pretty crazy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Let's play Pretend Land! Where we wholeheartedly bury our heads in the sand and pretend that we can't determine anything from vidoes, hands-on impressions, developer statements and past experience.

Yay, what a fun game! Wee, this is more fun that reality!

Analyzing, observing, hypothesizing; all possible from videos. Your last statement nearly seemed like you believed it as fact, without having touched the game at all. That was my point. As Ellis has noted, it could be skill-based. As Ghaleon noted, he could have been using the gun wrong. U4ix has a good point too.

Although I like pretend land.

Zealot's space section looked pretty good pre-release too.

Glad to see these though-provoking additions to the conversation.

It could be that he was using the BR outside of its intended range, and thus the spread was impacting his ability to hit targets greater than at close to mid range. Comparing it to the DMR and Carbine at long range is going to get the result he described.

this is what im hoping. i'd hate to not use the BR simply because the spread is wonky, but we'll have to wait and see i guess.

Top Bottom