• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

That's the thing, HiredGun, the developers of H2v, that were disbanded shortly after the game shipped, were very open and were taking suggestions from the community.

It seemed like this was going to be THE game for modders, but then a couple months before the launch they went quiet. the game came out and everything they were showing and stuff they were promising just disappeared!

I don't think anyone has said exactly what happened behind the scenes, it's all kinda mysterious M$ type shit.

If they had just come out with what the had promised and handle GFWL a little better this game would be awesome.

I would be up for a retry with Halo 3, but I am not sure if other would be as willing.

Can you share some of the stuff they were planning? I wasn't as involved with the PC side of the Halo community at that time, and don't remember the interaction in that community :)

Blissful

Neo Member
Is anyone available for Reach right now? I can't stand these randoms anymore.

GT- Po1ishpimp74

Pretty much in every Halo Reach playlist...

3qk94o.jpg

Believe me I checked every corridor possible. Several times.

Another thing, when the flood are fighting the covenant in the canyon below, sometimes when the fat carrier things explode they send elites into the water pools all around. Elites can sometimes be under the water so make sure to check them all.

Also if i remember correctly there is a part of the canyon where elites are up above you on the cliff.

Holiday

Banned
The mechanic is called "Lowering the Aim Assist."

It's a wild concept, I know; allowing a player's ability to balance the game rather than hard-coded randomness is pretty crazy.
How archaic. Live in the now. Start practicing your 5SK and not leaving your base unless you have a sniper.

Computron

Can you share some of the stuff they were planning? I wasn't as involved with the PC side of the Halo community at that time, and don't remember the interaction in that community :)

The tag editor (the lifeblood of the Halo engine) will not allow you to edit or open any tag types outside of the 5-8 that are absolutely necessary to get a basic, static map running.

That means no custom skyboxes, no sounds, no weapons or vehicles, no custom lights and no new entity types.

A few of those things were hacked around with sloppily coded, crash prone apps but in the end a lot of it requires you to mod your game into a state in which it will not be compatable with most other player's builds and is probably against the TOS of live.

They left out the importer necessary to bring in custom models for non static BSP map geometry.

The editor itself is extremely buggy and will crash if you try to edit something that looks like its not off limits but is.

You cannot write your own shaders, you can only use a few of the included shader templates because a lot of them flat out don't work or are missing critical inputs.

Campaign is completely off limits, as is AI.

The workflow is downright stupid because the tore out the hot loading feature so if you change one parameter, be prepared to restart your whole SDK to see the changes and probably crash a few times. (Seriously, just this one feature would have been killer compared to H:CE even)

More crashes here and there and a total lack of support.

And then there is the actuall game itself with GFWL and its serial key limitations, dedicated servers, and stupid ass map requirements.
You still have to have the exact version of the custom map before the server starts the game or you can't join, coupled with a general lack of players and patience, that entirely kills any hope for custom maps.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the documentation, or lack thereof.

So much time wasted tracking down dead ends, a lack of the most basic stuff.

I MEAN, JESUS, THEY FUCKING PUSHED OUT A PATCH THAT BROKE VOICE CHAT. WTF.

Another thing, when the flood are fighting the covenant in the canyon below, sometimes when the fat carrier things explode they send elites into the water pools all around. Elites can sometimes be under the water so make sure to check them all.

Also if i remember correctly there is a part of the canyon where elites are up above you on the cliff.

The ones up on the cliff edge were the ones that caused me grief I'm pretty sure.

blamite

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but why aren't Griffball and Living dead simply in "action sack" or done on special weekends like they were in Halo 3?

It can't be the "population" issue since that wasn't a problem with 3.

I'd be willing to bet if those two playlists were "moved" or even removed that the other playlists would benefit greatly.
In addition to all the other reasons, Infection is technically a FFA gametype so it can't be put into team-based playlists. I hope that's something that can change in H4 onwards, though, Action Sack has always seemed like the best place for Infection to me. (Naturally, BOOM! Ball would take over the Living Dead playlist slot.)

It could be that he was using the BR outside of its intended range, and thus the spread was impacting his ability to hit targets greater than at close to mid range. Comparing it to the DMR and Carbine at long range is going to get the result he described.

The BR is definitely not a long range weapon. It is super accurate at close-mid range and somewhat accurate at long range. You won't be taking out a DMR user at long range though, unless the DMR user really sucks.

So I go into Super Slayer.

Before the map choice screen even comes up, two people quit out. The six remaining are divided into teams of three, who then pick DMRs on Zealot.

Of the three people on my team, one starts the game, swears at me, intentionally betrays me, and then quits. The other, who does not have a mic, seems to have no priority other than staying on the far side of the map from me and absolutely refuses to do anything resembling teamwork.

The other team sucked individually but actually seemed able to work together, and they all had active camo. And they had nearly constant possession of the Energy Sword. It rather quickly devolved into me beginning to 5shot a guy, only to realize that he was actually a lure, and the real threat was the guy sitting in the corner I'd just strafed into with a sword.

Rinse and repeat.

heckfu

Banned
For the first time in a while I'll be free for some afternoon (Euro evening) Halo. Hopefully I'll be on within 15 or so.

New Thread: HaloGAF at PAX: Meetup planning and more.

-------
HaloGAF at PAX Contact Info:
HaloGAF.com/PAX/contacts (password protected)

PM me your contact info and I will PM you the password and add your info to the page.
-------

HaloGAF Meetup

Proposed option: Breakfast on Saturday
When: Saturday morning, 8:30am - 10:00am
Where: The Athenian Inn (same place as last year's attempt) Map.

Just a proposed option. More options and thoughts in the new thread, let's discuss there. :)

Louis Wu

I'll take a crack at it.
lots of good points about Legendary difficulty snipped
Okay - a couple of things.

I'm generally a 'hunker down and fight longrange' type of player ANYWAY, so the fact that you can't get up close and personal in Reach (well, see below) is less of an issue for me than it is for you. I didn't do that in Halo 3, either. :)

HOWEVER: I began to be inspired by RC Master's LASO speedruns not too long ago; he does some pretty amazing beatdowns on Elites, to the point where I wanted to try. (He's WAAAY better at it than I am... but it's oh so satisfying to pull it off.) Lots of circling, coupled with assassination moves. I figured, if he can do it with all skulls on, I can do it with plain old Legendary, right? (Not right, not by a long shot, but I succeed occasionally. ;) )

Anyway, the point is, while it's true you can't play Reach Legendary the way you play Halo 3 Legendary, it's NOT true that you have no options - you just have DIFFERENT options, and you have to master new techniques to take advantage of them.

FyreWulff

I was going to make a big-ish post about Player Trait Volumes and Physics Impulse Volumes. Before I do that though: If Ellis or Frankie can answer, can Physics Impulse Volumes be resized, and if so, is it possible to make them really short and push sideways as to create a rigged conveyor belt effect?

Or do players have to be completely inside one before it'll take effect on them?

Just a little bit from some of the games last night:

Ryan: Do you guys ever wonder what Halo would be like if things were on fire?
Rest of Party: What do you mean things? Like people?
Ryan: No. Things.
Party: What things?
Ryan: I don't know. Stuff.
Party: Do you have an example?
Ryan: No. I mean...just stuff... like, um...
Party: Um?
Ryan: Like a box on fire.

343 hire Ryan.

u4iX

I havn't heard a new sparkcast in a long time. Unless I missed one. Is there a new sparkcast coming anytime soon?

There's a rumored sandbox one, right?

My guess if they're holding the release of it, it's because things have changed with the builds they'll be showing off and wouldn't want to confuse people as to why they just heard one thing in the podcast, but are playing another.

Well, we did put two of them out in July. :)

We're trying to schedule a recording this week.

Awesome!

Holiday

Banned
HOWEVER: I began to be inspired by RC Master's LASO speedruns not too long ago; he does some pretty amazing beatdowns on Elites, to the point where I wanted to try. (He's WAAAY better at it than I am... but it's oh so satisfying to pull it off.) Lots of circling, coupled with assassination moves. I figured, if he can do it with all skulls on, I can do it with plain old Legendary, right? (Not right, not by a long shot, but I succeed occasionally. ;) )

This is only semi-related, but one of the funnest things about ODST Firefight is backsmaking brutes, especially chieftans, in those late rounds that always have Mythic on. Bullets are useless, but one hand to the back is murder.

Just a little bit from some of the games last night:

Ryan: Do you guys ever wonder what Halo would be like if things were on fire?
Rest of Party: What do you mean things? Like people?
Ryan: No. Things.
Party: What things?
Ryan: I don't know. Stuff.
Party: Do you have an example?
Ryan: No. I mean...just stuff... like, um...
Party: Um?
Ryan: Like a box on fire.

343 hire Ryan.

This is most intelligent thing I've heard Ryan say.

CyReN

Heads up for those attending Pax, I will donate $20 to Child's Play Charity if you ask during the Q/A about Halo 4 (skilled) ranking system (if it isn't announced there already). My heart can't take someone asking if there's multiplayer or trying to roofie Frankie at the bars.

Okay - a couple of things.

I'm generally a 'hunker down and fight longrange' type of player ANYWAY, so the fact that you can't get up close and personal in Reach (well, see below) is less of an issue for me than it is for you. I didn't do that in Halo 3, either. :)

Anyway, the point is, while it's true you can't play Reach Legendary the way you play Halo 3 Legendary, it's NOT true that you have no options - you just have DIFFERENT options, and you have to master new techniques to take advantage of them.

check pms

Slaker117

Heads up for those attending Pax, I will donate $20 to Child's Play Charity if you ask during the Q/A about Halo 4 (skilled) ranking system (if it isn't announced there already). My heart can't take someone asking if there's multiplayer or trying to roofie Frankie at the bars.

I was already planning on trying to ask, but if you want to donate money to charity because of it, that's cool.

Talents

Banned

Give him some Sodium Pentothal, maybe that'll make him crack about the ranking system lol.

$20? $100. It's for charity. Do it dude! I'll ask!

Top Bottom