• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

ElRenoRaven

That's the thing, HiredGun, the developers of H2v, that were disbanded shortly after the game shipped, were very open and were taking suggestions from the community.

It seemed like this was going to be THE game for modders, but then a couple months before the launch they went quiet. the game came out and everything they were showing and stuff they were promising just disappeared!

I don't think anyone has said exactly what happened behind the scenes, it's all kinda mysterious M$ type shit.

If they had just come out with what the had promised and handle GFWL a little better this game would be awesome.

I would be up for a retry with Halo 3, but I am not sure if other would be as willing.

Yup. I remember reading every development journal on IGN at the time and was so damn excited. Then they just stopped and it was nothing but silence. That's when you knew something was very very wrong.

Yes, they even hired some vets from the Halo CE modding community to contribute to the modding tools and work with the dev team in getting the tools the community needed ready. MS stepped in late in developement and hardlined them on pushing it as one of Vista's selling points, and of course they took their xbox mentality of "modding is bad" into the PC space and forced the restrictions on them.

Then they probably saw terrible sales because none of the Halo community wanted anything to do with it because of that, wondered why, and probably assumed that PC gamers aren't worth their time so we'll never see any more PC ports.

Yup. It was shocking that they had seemingly set everything up right to be a huge success and yet all that was for nothing. It's like they hired them then completely ignored any input they had.

The tag editor (the lifeblood of the Halo engine) will not allow you to edit or open any tag types outside of the 5-8 that are absolutely necessary to get a basic, static map running.

That means no custom skyboxes, no sounds, no weapons or vehicles, no custom lights and no new entity types.

A few of those things were hacked around with sloppily coded, crash prone apps but in the end a lot of it requires you to mod your game into a state in which it will not be compatable with most other player's builds and is probably against the TOS of live.

They left out the importer necessary to bring in custom models for non static BSP map geometry.

The editor itself is extremely buggy and will crash if you try to edit something that looks like its not off limits but is.

You cannot write your own shaders, you can only use a few of the included shader templates because a lot of them flat out don't work or are missing critical inputs.

Campaign is completely off limits, as is AI.

The workflow is downright stupid because the tore out the hot loading feature so if you change one parameter, be prepared to restart your whole SDK to see the changes and probably crash a few times. (Seriously, just this one feature would have been killer compared to H:CE even)

More crashes here and there and a total lack of support.

And then there is the actuall game itself with GFWL and its serial key limitations, dedicated servers, and stupid ass map requirements.
You still have to have the exact version of the custom map before the server starts the game or you can't join, coupled with a general lack of players and patience, that entirely kills any hope for custom maps.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the documentation, or lack thereof.

So much time wasted tracking down dead ends, a lack of the most basic stuff.

I MEAN, JESUS, THEY FUCKING PUSHED OUT A PATCH THAT BROKE VOICE CHAT. WTF.

And now you know why it's hated by pretty much everyone. Basically you couldn't do a goddamn thing with the game as a result of the insane restrictions. And yea documentation which was promised to be vast was almost nothing literally. And yea I too wish they had at least had the respect to put Halo 3 out. It's another pretty big Fuck you to the fans on the PC side who invested in the franchise. We never got to finish the fight. Well those who didn't double dip and buy the games on both Xbox and PC.

GhaleonEB

Okay - a couple of things.

I'm generally a 'hunker down and fight longrange' type of player ANYWAY, so the fact that you can't get up close and personal in Reach (well, see below) is less of an issue for me than it is for you. I didn't do that in Halo 3, either. :)

HOWEVER: I began to be inspired by RC Master's LASO speedruns not too long ago; he does some pretty amazing beatdowns on Elites, to the point where I wanted to try. (He's WAAAY better at it than I am... but it's oh so satisfying to pull it off.) Lots of circling, coupled with assassination moves. I figured, if he can do it with all skulls on, I can do it with plain old Legendary, right? (Not right, not by a long shot, but I succeed occasionally. ;) )

Anyway, the point is, while it's true you can't play Reach Legendary the way you play Halo 3 Legendary, it's NOT true that you have no options - you just have DIFFERENT options, and you have to master new techniques to take advantage of them.

To be clear, I did not say you had no options, just that many are removed, which is true. I did however try and explain why I don't like the options I have, and why I don't like CQC in Reach Legendary (weak health, beefed up enemies, base traits that make it all more dangerous). It is true that you CAN get around some of that by dancing around Elites and such bonking them and going for the assassination. But only in very select circumstances. (See Jackal example I used to explain why I generally don't tango with dudes in that style.) Which I just don't find very fun; you do. :)

At any rate - I don't want to feel weak in Halo 4 Legendary. I want to feel like a Spartan facing formidable odds. Hard I don't mind; hard because I die in a couple shots, I do.

u4iX

$20 all I can do right now lol. Books killed me last week.

Can I be honest Ray...

Don't put down money on things they should be telling us about anyway. If they aren't gonna say anything, we'll just get one of "those" types of answers about looking into it, problem solving, and how they're just not ready to talk about that yet, less than 80 days away from release.

In my eyes, it reflects poorly if they haven't even totally ironed out the details on how their ranking system will work in Halo 4.

Last we heard about it was Frankie posting here that they were working on it I believe?

ElRenoRaven

To be clear, I did not say you had no options, just that many are removed, which is true. I did however try and explain why I don't like the options I have, and why I don't like CQC in Reach Legendary (weak health, beefed up enemies, base traits that make it all more dangerous). It is true that you CAN get around some of that by dancing around Elites and such bonking them and going for the assassination. But only in very select circumstances. (See Jackal example I used to explain why I generally don't tango with dudes in that style.)

At any rate - I don't want to feel weak in Halo 4 Legendary. I want to feel like a Spartan facing formidable odds. Hard I don't mind; hard because I die in a couple shots, I do.

What? You mean you don't wanna be killed in 2 shots from an Elite that takes 100 shots to kill? But but isn't half the fun sitting there for an hour behind cover trying to stay alive while you run out of ammo over and over and end up having to backtrack for weapons and ammo? Seriously though I'm with you. Reach had a few bs moments, foundry section with Emile and those Elites comes to mind, but Halo 2 to this day I curse because I just can't beat it. I've beaten Halo 1, 3, ODST, Reach all on Legendary but not Halo 2.

BigShow36

Analyzing, observing, hypothesizing; all possible from videos. Your last statement nearly seemed like you believed it as fact, without having touched the game at all. That was my point. As Ellis has noted, it could be skill-based. As Ghaleon noted, he could have been using the gun wrong. U4ix has a good point too.

I do believe it as fact.

343 has stated that the DMR will have bloom, altered, yes, but bloom nonetheless.
I also recall them stating that the BR will not be effective at longer ranges, ie spread. Video's and hands-on statements confirm it.

Where am I going wrong here? Am I not allowed to believe anything anyone says about anything because I personally haven't played the game? Should I not mention the map Haven because I haven't played it so for all I know its not in the game?

DeadNames

Banned
I know it's a while off, but are any of you guys planning on going to PAX East? Unfortunately, that's the only one I can attend... Can't afford to go to Seattle... Only a drive down to Boston.

Karl2177

I do believe it as fact.

343 has stated that the DMR will have bloom, altered, yes, but bloom nonetheless.
I also recall them stating that the BR will not be effective at longer ranges, ie spread. Video's and hands-on statements confirm it.

Where am I going wrong here? Am I not allowed to believe anything anyone says about anything because I personally haven't played the game? Should I not mention the map Haven because I haven't played it so for all I know its not in the game?
He and others are stating that you're blowing one source out of proportion to others or you are neglecting to take other accounts into perspective. There are many reports saying that there is bloom and spread, but it doesn't detriment to the sandbox gameplay like you are proposing it does.

Tawpgun

I know it's a while off, but are any of you guys planning on going to PAX East? Unfortunately, that's the only one I can attend... Can't afford to go to Seattle... Only a drive down to Boston.
Im going. Was fun last year. Only wish I hung out more with the halo crew.

u4iX

He and others are stating that you're blowing one source out of proportion to others or you are neglecting to take other accounts into perspective. There are many reports saying that there is bloom and spread, but it doesn't detriment to the sandbox gameplay like you are proposing it does.

Well, it does and it depends on how you are looking at the Halo game.

Is H4 a Halo game? By the standards of MP set with H1, I'd argue that H4 is so far and away different from the multiplayer formula of H1, it's not a Halo game.

So, how does that fit in with these weapons?

Bloom, spread, and recoil are all detriments to the H1 sandbox. So, from a H1 MP perspective, these things will not help the game.

However, within the realm of an H4 sandbox, when established as a "non-Halo MP" like game, these are yet to be determined.

It might "feel" like Halo to some, but on paper, laid out, and compared to H1, H4 is not Halo.

Does that mean it's bad?

Hell no.

Does it mean that Big Show is right?

When looking at the MP standards set for us by H1, yep.

Halo 3 Terminals were amazing. I prefer them more than Anniversary's terminals. Don't get me wrong, the Anniversary terminals were great but I love the interactivity of 3's terminal. The story content was amazing at that time and there are some questions open. I hope Halo 4 and Silentium answers some of those question. Maybe I should ask Voc at PAX.
I think the terminals in ODST and Anniversary were far better. Their presentation blows Halo 3's terminals out of the water: It's much easier to digest the information they're trying to convey. They were presented in order, making it easier for players to put the pieces together. I wasn't able to understand 3's terminals until Voc laid it all out for me in his write-ups. I doubt I could've figured it all out in my head without putting some pen to paper.

Their interactivty was a great thing. As Beck pointed out, the fact that they gave you more information as you increased the difficulty was great idea, only the more I think about it, the more I think that was only a good idea on its face. Altering the amount of information told on the basis of difficulty made it hard for players to put the pieces together themselves.

Videogames are a visual experience (hence the "video"). It's not a good idea to present story information through a ton of text. Players get lost, then lose interest, then give up. There are probably ways to make the terminals from ODST/Anniversary more interactive ala Halo 3's terminals, and if done right, they can also present more information the higher difficulty – all while keeping the same format from ODST/Anniversary and their ability to convey information well. That'd be cool, but I think the format 343 had for the Anniversary terminals has more pros than cons in comparison to 3's terminals, and at they very least, they should stick with that.

This looks great. I'll go pick up some XBL points and download it sometime this week, but I don't think I'll have time to play until next week. Any HaloGAFers who want to play, I'd be happy to join.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do believe it as fact.

My issue was with the fact that you seemed to throw out the whole game based on some things that you have not personally tested. Things that have differed per person playing the game. You are basically preemptively calling out 343 on something that may have only been an issue to one person.

You could pick up the game launch day and have no issues with the BR or DMR compared to Reach, but you seem to want to put the nail in the coffin before testing it for yourself.

Not a big deal to me if you want to dislike it before trying it, I was merely commenting that you may end up thinking it's fine. In a round-about way I guess.

BigShow36 said:
Great design right there. Feels like Halo.

My future is Black.

This, is basically you throwing Halo 4 under the bus and jumping ship based on one dude's comments. That's what my qualm was.

Overdoziz

Banned
By the way, is it true that you now flinch if you get hit in Halo 4? I've been hearing about it every now and then I really hope it's not the case. Nothing is more annoying than trying to shoot and a splitsecond before you fire your aim gets thrown off because you got hit.
Also, bloom and spread are horrible mechanics that should burn in the deepest of hells.

u4iX

By the way, is it true that you now flinch if you get hit in Halo 4? I've been hearing about it every now and then I really hope it's not the case. Nothing is more annoying than trying to shoot and a splitsecond before you fire your aim gets thrown off because you got hit.

Praying to BaldGod that's not the case. I believe "flinching" in the Halo sense is talking about when in scope, and there's now an armor mod to reduce that.

BigShow36

Bloom and spread are detrimental to the sandbox gameplay by their very inclusion.

If the goal is to limit effectiveness at range, there are much better ways to do it. It's a lazy way to artificially limit players, and it forces randomness into every encounter above a certain range.

Two of the most frustrating aspects of the past 2 Halo games are being attached to primary utility weapons, and everyone is blowing them off like they somehow wont affect the gameplay.

Does it mean that Big Show is right?

When looking at the MP standards set for us by H1, yep.

I'm not even basing it on just Halo CE. I want Halo 4 to be a different game, but I want it to be a great HALO game. I'm basing my complaints on what I've determined make for a great Halo MP game, not soley on Halo CE.

My issue was with the fact that you seemed to throw out the whole game based on some things that you have not personally tested. Things that have differed per person playing the game. You are basically preemptively calling out 343 on something that may have only been an issue to one person.

You could pick up the game launch day and have no issues with the BR or DMR compared to Reach, but you seem to want to put the nail in the coffin before testing it for yourself.

Not a big deal to me if you want to dislike it before trying it, I was merely commenting that you may end up thinking it's fine. In a round-about way I guess.

I KNOW how bloom plays and I know how spread plays. I don't enjoy it. Numerous people have said the BR feels like the Halo 3 BR; thats not good. The bloom appears at this point to play like a reduced Reach bloom; that's not good either. Until I see or hear otherwise, why should I simply ignore it?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dude just ignore them. You'll be proven right eventually.

Not quite getting this. Nowhere did I say BigShow was wrong. He has valid points. I was just noting that what one guy said on some write-up may not be the full story when others have said the opposite.

MLG guys had no mention of the BR having issues from what I saw. U4ix, David, and other users brought up very likely scenarios in which the guy could have experienced his issues. I'm just saying keep an open mind until you can play the game and decide for yourself.

Maybe that's just me though, maybe everyone else makes 100% complete judgments on a game based on a lone write-up on the internet.

BigShow36

The DMR bloom is only cosmetic is it not? Just a mechanic to tell you when you can shoot again?

Originally that's what people thought, but recently I've seen statements from 343 and others that it's only meant to affect people at "long" range, whatever that means. From what I've seen and heard, it is legitimate bloom, not just visual, albeit to a much lesser degree than Reach.

Not quite getting this. Nowhere did I say BigShow was wrong. He has valid points. I was just noting that what one guy said on some write-up may not be the full story when others have said the opposite.

MLG guys had no mention of the BR having issues from what I saw. U4ix, David, and other users brought up very likely scenarios in which the guy could have experience his issues. I'm just saying keep an open mind until you can play the game and decide for yourself.

Maybe that's just me though, maybe everyone else makes 100% complete judgments on a game based on a lone write-up on the internet.

Yes but MLG guys arent going to talk shit about Halo 4 yet when they are getting special trips to the studio and having gear thrown at them. Wait a few months after its release when that DSlurp glow has worn off and they'll say how they really feel about shitty mechanics.

Not to mention you cant get a solid feel for the inner workings of a game like this until you've played hours upon hours.

Having someone whos "played" Halo 4 is no more belieavable at this point than the opinions of the developers.

If someone reads the word bloom. Before playing this game, they have every right to be worried about it, especially after Reach, you know a game where they later on reduced bloom because of how gross it is.

Holiday

Banned
MLG guys had no mention of the BR having issues from what I saw. I'm just saying keep an open mind until you can play the game and decide for yourself.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here. The first is that pros are as susceptible to the 'new car smell' as anyone else. There reaction to the game is always going to be weighted to the positive side, since it is a new experience. The second is that Halo pros are massively unreliable when it comes to identifying quality mechanics.

Woorloog

Banned
Hah! On the whim, started playing Keyes on Heroic and i did get Tying Up Loose Ends on try number 1!
Nearly didn't, i almost took a Banshee but decided to make one more round around the hangar bay and two elites attacked me!

CyReN

Pros didn't play much at E3 to breakdown the game, now maybe they will with 2 weeks under their belt or so, but even then they have tested the game full with the community which makes a difference.

On the topic of BR, pros said they will pick DMR every time with it being more powerful, ranged, and single shot (even with bloom). Now they could have been tweaked since E3 so I don't know how it is now but those were a lot of the initial impressions.

Originally that's what people thought, but recently I've seen statements from 343 and others that it's only meant to affect people at "long" range, whatever that means. From what I've seen and heard, it is legitimate bloom, not just visual, albeit to a much lesser degree than Reach.

Honestly as a balancing mechanic if tuned properly it will work. The last thing Halo 4 needs is a weapon that is Halo 2 BR levels of overpowered. A hitscan single shot rifle would be something similar to that. If bloom is in to balance it then *providing its implemented well* I'm all for it.

The main issue with the Bloom in Halo:Reach was that it's implementation and the sandbox using it created too many variables. At distance the DMR is still a solid weapon. Shot's have to be paced to hit ect. If Halo 4 implements that aspect then good.

People hear Bloom and Armor Abilities and freak out. I can wait for launch to freak out. If the DMR is broken 343 will most likely issue a hotfix for it to crush bloom.

heckfu

Banned
I think my favorite part is when you lift up into the center of Pinnacle and lose your shields. It's like, hey, here's a cool route OH I'M DEAD.

Fuchsdh

Hah! On the whim, started playing Keyes on Heroic and i did get Tying Up Loose Ends on try number 1!
Nearly didn't, i almost took a Banshee but decided to make one more round around the hangar bay and two elites attacked me!

Yeah I found the achievement fun because over the years I'd just ingrained the jump straight to the Banshees; taking the long route certainly felt different (same with not doing Halo in a vehicle.)

Overall, I liked the skulls and achievements in Anniversary. They were a bit different than usual ones and the not-strictly damage-multiplaying skulls were a blast. Wish some of them were a little better hidden, though.

Talents

Banned
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here. The first is that pros are as susceptible to the 'new car smell' as anyone else. There reaction to the game is always going to be weighted to the positive side, since it is a new experience. The second is that Halo pros are massively unreliable when it comes to identifying quality mechanics.

Reach didn't have the 'new car smell' for me, played 2 games of the beta went right back on H3. Probably wouldn't even have Reach now, but my mate gave it to me like the day after Reach was released because he hated it.

Tawpgun

I went last year too. I didn't know anyone from the Halo community was going there anyways :p

Shame it was on Easter weekend, though.
bsangel was there. Rooster Teeth as well if they count. Me, hitmonchan, Duncan, vhfive, Hyper, Das Kalk, and Grimbrother were there along with some HBO peeps.

I regrettabley didn't go to the halo community dinner.

I think my favorite part is when you lift up into the center of Pinnacle and lose your shields. It's like, hey, here's a cool route OH I'M DEAD.

Hey, let's put fall damage in our game again and leave the man-cannons with no way to compensate for said fall damage! Granted you can crouch on landing, but you shouldn't have to and it doesn't always work.

Risen

Honestly as a balancing mechanic if tuned properly it will work. The last thing Halo 4 needs is a weapon that is Halo 2 BR levels of overpowered. A hitscan single shot rifle would be something similar to that. If bloom is in to balance it then *providing its implemented well* I'm all for it.

The main issue with the Bloom in Halo:Reach was that it's implementation and the sandbox using it created too many variables. At distance the DMR is still a solid weapon. Shot's have to be paced to hit ect. If Halo 4 implements that aspect then good.

People hear Bloom and Armor Abilities and freak out. I can wait for launch to freak out. If the DMR is broken 343 will most likely issue a hotfix for it to crush bloom.

Not in an online game. There is an argument to be made on LAN if you keep the shots perfectly accurate and have a blooming reticle on a precision weapon. At that point, it takes more skill to land a bloomed reticle than non-bloom reticle.

Introduce random shot placement in the bloom and online play and it is a terrible mechanic that emphasizes connection more than skill.

That sounds weird dude, but pretty funny.

Karl definitely got trolled, that's like walking into an elevator with one person in there and standing RIGHT next to them. Try it. Good times. Badass pic btw lol

Regarding the BR, I think most people are going to be sticking with the DMR/Carbine anyway, unless the Light Rifle turns out to be a beast.

Fuchsdh

Hey, let's put fall damage in our game again and leave the man-cannons with no way to compensate for said fall damage! Granted you can crouch on landing, but you shouldn't have to and it doesn't always work.

It wasn't until I played around in Forge that I realized how random the mancannons seemed to be in regards to fall damage. Sometimes I'd take next to no damage, sometimes I'd die from the same mancannon, with very little differences (like walking into the gravlift, as opposed to over it.)

EDIT:

77 days and 7 hours 'till Halo 4.

It wasn't until I played around in Forge that I realized how random the mancannons seemed to be in regards to fall damage. Sometimes I'd take next to no damage, sometimes I'd die from the same mancannon, with very little differences (like walking into the gravlift, as opposed to over it.)

EDIT:

77 days and 7 hours 'till Halo 4.

Ya - If at all possible, I avoid man-cannons in reach for these exact reasons.

Not in an online game. There is an argument to be made on LAN if you keep the shots perfectly accurate and have a blooming reticle on a precision weapon. At that point, it takes more skill to land a bloomed reticle than non-bloom reticle.

Introduce random shot placement in the bloom and online play and it is a terrible mechanic that emphasizes connection more than skill.

What is the other option? Spread? That is essentially bloom. The only alternative is to have a weapon thats capable of 5 shotting people regardless of range which is going to nullify a large part of the sandbox.

Weapons need to be built with an effective range in mind and bloom aids a lot in that. If the bloom % (in reach terms) is right then Bloom is a useful tool for balance purposes.

All that aside the point stands that if you are so against the DMR come release date then you are hardly if ever going to be forced to use it. Each halo game has weapons people "neglect" because they function poorly. For me with reach is The Hammer, Focus rifle, Plasma Repeater and Concussion Rifle.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Right. I think that's how I understood it as well. It must have such a tiny effect because if it was anywhere near what bloom is like in Reach people who have played would be bitching instantly.

BigShow36

What is the other option? Spread? That is essentially bloom. The only alternative is to have a weapon thats capable of 5 shotting people regardless of range which is going to nullify a large part of the sandbox.

Weapons need to be built with an effective range in mind and bloom aids a lot in that. If the bloom % (in reach terms) is right then Bloom is a useful tool for balance purposes.

Lower the aim assist outside of the intended range of your weapon. That solves everything without introducing random, frustrating elements into the sandbox. If someone is good enough to land shots with decreased aim assist, they deserve to land the shots.

How is the sniper rifle balanced at close range?

The wolf pack needs 1 more or 2 for objective.

Ill play objective if you still need people?

All that aside the point stands that if you are so against the DMR come release date then you are hardly if ever going to be forced to use it. Each halo game has weapons people "neglect" because they function poorly. For me with reach is The Hammer, Focus rifle, Plasma Repeater and Concussion Rifle.

Concussion rifle is beast, unleash at peoples feet, they cant move. They die :)

Akai__

I will proabably get CS:GO, too. Does anybody know the price, yet?

Also, SC2 IEM finals are streamed on german TV. That's a weird feeling, to watch it on TV.

Lower the aim assist outside of the intended range of your weapon. That solves everything without introducing random, frustrating elements into the sandbox. If someone is good enough to land shots with decreased aim assist, they deserve to land the shots.

UKwcd.jpg

RISK vs REWARD

LOL - More like all risk, no reward in the case of pinnacle.

Small Reticle, But even then its not the hardest thing in the world to up close no scope someone.

*cough* He was implying that there is less aim assist for the snipe when unscoped... *cough*

Small Reticle, But even then its not the hardest thing in the world to up close no scope someone.

Concussion rifle is beast, unleash at peoples feet, they cant move. They die :)

I don't not use it because it's weak I don't use it because it feels broken.

Karl definitely got trolled, that's like walking into an elevator with one person in there and standing RIGHT next to them. Try it. Good times. Badass pic btw lol

Regarding the BR, I think most people are going to be sticking with the DMR/Carbine anyway, unless the Light Rifle turns out to be a beast.
Its like using the urinal and one dude uses another next to you then makes a glance at you. While there's plenty others available in a restroom. lol Edit: Badly Beaten by ViewtifulJC
anyways, I don't believe the light rifle will be better than a carbine, BR, but probably close to the Dmr. Through observations it does has an advantage with the 1sk to body without shields.

Top Bottom