• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Is the embargo ending going to be a big deal? Won't it just be previews of content we've already seen? Also, LOL @ that confirmation on the Map Pass armor deal. Sucks, but no one will even remember this shit a month after the game comes out and they're running 'earned' armor.

Probably won't be anything about the ranking system, right? That's the thing I really want to hear about. Don't want to be spoiled on campaign that much and I don't really care about multiplayer yet.

Maybe something SpOps related.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Everyone just keep in mind to take good reviews with a grain of salt since they're still in the honeymoon phase.

Related: all negative reviews are valid.

Spoken like a true Heckfu. and of course the never ending accusation of "HAVE YOU EVEN PLAYED THE GAME?!?!" will follow every single jab at a review or comment on a feature of the game.

I expect several mental breakdowns to come!

(Shhhhhhhh.... it will be ok. *licks up salty tears*)

Woorloog

Banned
looks like I might cancel LE and just get the standard + war games pass then.

It is what i do, partially because of this, partially because FUD EE is fucking digital content and partially because i don't want to buy DLC before i know about it.
Made that mistake with BF3 (CQ is ok but not worth it, AK doesn't work with console player amount).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sword sprees are going to be so fun and easy in infinity slayer. Sword + speed boost? Yeah, you're screwed. Sword with sprint, thrusters, and overshield? You might as well put the controller down and walk away, instant sword spree.

Bring it. I'll kill the sword guy before he has a chance to get close. BR + thruster = thrust to avoid any sword lunge and drop him with headshots. :p

That quote in itself gives me a clear idea of what will be included in the briefing packet, I just don't see where there is any confusion about what you're getting?

I hope you're not saying that someone can't both love the franchise and see genuine value in the Ltd Edition? I love the Halo franchise, and I'm a collector of sorts, mostly the Halo-themed consoles and hardware but I also enjoy the Halo Art Books and anything that expands upon the fiction of the universe or how it was developed. The Ltd Edition appeals to me in many ways and it is most certainly not out of pure blind fandom.

I think the difference between me and you Bobs is that I can see clear value in the Limited Edition as a complete package. From conversations we've had, it's clear that the DLC and Digital Content doesn't appeal to you and you've mentioned that you aren't fond of the packaging, so everything seems to be hinging on the briefing packet. I think this is made quite clear by the bolded above. If you can't find value in the overall package then perhaps the Standard Edition + War Games Pass is a better choice and will probably give you more bang for your buck?

Again, our perceptions of this must be absolute polar opposites because I genuinely, honestly feel that I can make an informed decision on my purchase choice. I'm not defending 343 or Microsoft, simply stating my honest opinions and thoughts.

I'll reply to your post properly later when im not on mobile, but what exactly is a document which 'gives insight into what it means to be a spartan'?

I just want to know more about if the physical stuff in the LE is worthwhile, what's so hard to understand about that lol? I might not care about the digital stuff, or aesthetic stuff so yeah my purchase depends on the physical stuff, all im saying is I want more info on what that physical stuff entails...

heckfu

Banned
I'm just trying to ruffle feathers at this point, if you want unadulterated truth. Sure I'm on team slrp at this point but I'm not blind to criticism; I was genuinely hoping that the helmet/DLC fiasco would be cleared up with everyone getting scanner, et al, but I was being optimistic to try and counteract the negative over reaction.
Now that it's been clarified, I can express my disapproval with it. I know it isn't game breaking or a huge deal, but I think withholding is silly.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
He's salty, obviously.

I want HaloGAF to start settling disputes via rapier sword fights.
I'll sit in the gallery and throw salt at the both contestants for both being right and wrong.

Or

Pistols at dawn!

Southern_Colonel.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
In a perfect world there wouldn't be any close quarters power weapons in Halo.

Nah the sword has always been so much fun to use. Very satisfying. I think if the sword is only available on the right maps and it takes good awareness to get the kills then it's totally fine. Especially now since everyone will have high powered rifles from the start and not the SMG or AR.

That was not the argument, the argument, and it's not really an argument but an indisputable economic fact, is that bundled special edition consoles are - in the vast majority, - being sold to first time consumers, and by extension, not hardcore Halo collectors. The economics of even being able to offer an LE console mean that we can't make them in small enough numbers to create something solely for collectors - and the LE, Ragnaork and Bobs protests aside, is actually too expensive to bundle with it - all of that content and packaging - including the map pass - have to be paid for internally - including some licensing and royalties and so on.

I have explained this a few times and I am not suggesting it's a perfect solution. Far from it, because for some collectors it presents an annoying hurdle. But it's either the way it's done generally today, or we have to price it so high that neither constituency would pay for it. The margins on consoles and in particular special editions, are not big enough to absorb extraneous costs.

I wish it were not that way, but that's the practical reality and has nothing to do with some venal or mean spirited decision anywhere in the chain.

Just to clarify - I'm not protesting that the LE is too expensive, I am asking for further clarification of what's in that LE.

I have the LE ordered and will happy pay the premium if the spartan briefing packet is confirmed to be fairly beefy

Overdoziz

Banned
Nah the sword has always been so much fun to use. Very satisfying. I think if the sword is only available on the right maps and it takes good awareness to get the kills then it's totally fine. Especially now since everyone will have high powered rifles from the start and not the SMG or AR.
They can work if there isn't a radar. With radar on, not so much.
And not putting them on a map like Countdown wouldn't hurt either.

Sword is rare.
Ordnance drops are (moderately) rare.

I don't think we're going to see sword + speed boost combos very often.
At the start of a game, ordnance has an initial drop. From what we've seen so far, sword is usually one of them on adrift and haven. All that's left is to get enough points for an ordnance drop. Or, you can steal other people's drops. This scenario will happen, even if rare. I suppose it won't matter if you can't slow someone down from sprinting when he has an overshield though, you're done for anyways.

feel

Needs a bandana and an eyepatch
Halo multiplayer has changed. It's no longer about skill, equal starts and ranks. It's an endless series of sloppy battles, fought by BKs and tryhards. Halo multiplayer, and its consuption of time, has become a well-oiled dildo machine. Halo multiplayer has changed. Noobs carry slowdown-imune swords, use Camo. Perks inside their bodies undeservedly enhance their abilities. Hill control. Flag control. Ball control. Map control. Everything is announced with big white text and by a Steitzer on crack. Halo multiplayer has changed. The age of skillful beauty has become the age of convoluted BK bonanza. All in the name of trying to lure in some COD dudebros. And he who controls the playlists terribly, controls our game history. Halo multiplayer has changed.

Seriously considering dropping down to the normal edition and just buying the season pass at some point. I dunno. The LE stuff sounds really cool but I also would like to have more armour to mess around with. We'll see I guess.

Exactly!

I'm not protesting the LE at all, but I want to know the physical content in there is fairly beefy before getting it. Happy to pay the extra if the physical content is good enough.

With Ac3 unisoft has said they're equivalent is 60 pages and bungie with reach confirmed that nylund wrote it and it's a full on book. If 343 can make a similar claim about the halo 4 LE stuff I would be all over it.

I am the only one who thinks people overreact with the digital content? A digital content. Two pieces people are saying they are atrocious looking. And now people fight for it? Don't tell me it is for the principle! bsangel wrote:
we’re definitely considering ways to make the entire gamut of items available at some point in the (relatively distant, since we obviously wish to give our retail partners plenty of room) future.
They are trying to let people unlock the stuff later in the gaming life. So passionate Halo fans may have the chance to unlock the stuff.

At the end people are fighting the good fight. Yes. Pre-order DLC is bad but we should be happy Halo only have atrocious looking armor pieces + FOTUS, skins as exclusive retailer stuff. I'd have been much more pissed about exclusive SpOps missions.

Furthermore, it's digital. The most of us will even forget that they own such a piece. And hell, that stuff will be lost in 5-7 years anyway.
That's my important point. Forget the former stuff. That's important.
He's salty, obviously.

I want HaloGAF to start settling disputes via rapier sword fights.
I'll sit in the gallery and throw salt at the both contestants for both being right and wrong.
You could use the salt to create paintings with it. Why are you using for that?

Bring it. I'll kill the sword guy before he has a chance to get close. BR + thruster = thrust to avoid any sword lunge and drop him with headshots. :p
Yeah, that strategy worked in reach with evade. It didn't work, however, if the sword guy also had evade...the sword guy can also have thrusters in H4. It will help though, for sure.

46 days left, then that stupid "but you didn't play it yet!!11!!" argument no longer has merit.

Exactly!

I'm not protesting the LE at all, but I want to know the physical content in there is fairly beefy before getting it. Happy to pay the extra if the physical content is good enough.

You know, I don't think you're gonna be happy either way.

So I propose that I personally make you a custom halo 4 LE.

I'm gonna fill it with my own special briefing packet, if you know what I mean?

Also it will take 6 men to deliver the package.

Omni

Halo multiplayer has changed. It's no longer about skill, equal starts and ranks. It's an endless series of sloppy battles, fought by BKs and tryhards. Halo multiplayer, and its consuption of time, has become a well-oiled dildo machine. Halo multiplayer has changed. Noobs carry slowdown-imune swords, use Camo. Perks inside their bodies undeservedly enhance their abilities. Hill control. Flag control. Ball control. Map control. Everything is announced with big white text and by a Steitzer on crack. Halo multiplayer has changed. The age of skillful beauty has become the age of convoluted BK bonanza. All in the name of trying to lure in some COD dudebros. And he who controls the playlists terribly, controls our game history. Halo multiplayer has changed.

wvnOO.gif

Seriously though... I don't know what I just read.

Halo multiplayer has changed. Lets keep it simple, hell, lets go back to pong and slap the name halo on it to make sure its balanced. Adaptation/Evolution = regression.

You know, I don't think you're gonna be happy either way.

So I propose that I personally make you a custom halo 4 LE.

I'm gonna fill it with my own special briefing packet, if you know what I mean?

Also it will take 6 men to deliver the package.

Well I would be happy if the briefing packet was confirmed to be on par with the Halsey Journel but I won't protest a free gift from you.

nillapuddin

We're about six weeks from launch and the fact that 343 are refusing to even discuss the second disc is really, really puzzling.

Looking forward to hearing why they've delayed talking about it for so long.

Honestly thats just it, its just odd that they wont mention, its clearly in the pictures for the past what, 3 months or so?

Obviously it must be SP / MP, but why bother keeping it a "secret"?

Myyke

Neo Member
Well I would be happy if the briefing packet was confirmed to be on par with the Halsey Journel but I won't protest a free gift from you.

What exactly would make it "on par" with Halsey's Journal though? That seems incredibly subjective and even then, there is no real way of judging if it is "on par" or not without having fully read/digested both already and then making a comparison.

I wonder if the helmets come as separate codes? I wouldn't mind getting the map pass and then giving it to someone else if the code was separate.

For me, it's just more immersion in the fiction, which is the most important aspect of the game for me.

What exactly would make it "on par" with Halsey's Journal though? That seems incredibly subjective and even then, there is no real way of judging if it is "on par" or not without having fully read/digested both already and then making a comparison.

If they said it was written by a notable author or had a noteable size to it.

I would say that the assassins creed 3 LE is on par with the Halsey journey because they confirmed its like a full on 60 page novel.

When I say on par I mean in terms of content, not nessicarily in quality.

If it is a fairly impressive thing, it won't be too hard for them to say that it is.

It's really not that hard to understand, watch the assassins creed 3 limited edition reveal and you will see exactly what I want, I just want 343 to market the product in a way that allows me to decide if I want it or not.

Out of interest what's your angle? Do you not want to know more information about it or something? :p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BS Angel Waypoint post:

On this page
https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst114410p3_The-Halo-Bulletin--9-19-12.aspx

Don't think that needs any more confirmation.

Well, shit.

That sounds clear as day. Really unfortunate too as I'm someone who likes to have everything, but I only go for it all when I can get them for free.

I looked at the Scanner and Strider helmets and I know I won't be using them, and if I can recreate my Reach emblem I won't need the one that comes with the season pass so I'll still go for the LE at that cheaper price online - but now that makes it much easier to go for the regular version + season pass for even a lot of us hardcore Halo fans, I'll wait till later to decide.

The LOCUS helmet is the only thing I'm really gunning for, aside from the FOTUS for the hell of it so I'm lucky.

EDIT: Looking around, I can get the LE for much cheaper than the regular + season pass, so LE it is. Now all I need to get is the LOCUS pre-order helmet and I'm set.

In a perfect world there wouldn't be any close quarters power weapons in Halo.
I kind of agree. I hate, hate, hate the hammer and wish it was confined to Grifball, and the sword has rarely been much fun for me to use, usually feeling cheap and nasty. I could get behind it if it had the same lunge as a basic melee and committed you to an assassination animation, so it felt more like a powerful but cumbersome humiliation weapon you had to deploy carefully, rather than effectively a magneto-ninja-shotgun you can scamper about with and rack up multi-kills with in seconds.

Top Bottom