• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Honestly, which is more off the wall, getting annoyed because you can't have 2 skins (you can't even see when you're playing) out of 100 skins if you buy the LE? Or marketing your game to keep the overwhelming majority of gamers happy and to probably make more money?

willow ve

Stupidest game of Reach I've ever had.

Dropped out at the end and missed out on a perfection too. eajnfakl

I played Team Doubles Double Team for the first time ever a few days ago. Going in as a single player, against other randoms, is hilarious. First game was a perfection; average k/d was around 6/1 or 7/1 over eight games. Reach matchmaking at the pinnacle of Halo.

All I could think before each match was disgunbegood.jpg

Blueblur1

People are actually considering getting the LE, that comes with the season pass, and then buying the season pass again to get emblems and one set of armor? Wut?
I wouldn't do that. I'm not a huge fan of the Scanner or Strider helmets so its not a huge loss. It's the completionist in me that is perturbed by the exclusives and their differences.

People are actually considering getting the LE, that comes with the season pass, and then buying the season pass again to get emblems and one set of armor? Wut?

I'm not considering it. I'm doing it. Its such a non-issue for me. Iv paid excess of £20 before for DLC from eBay and its practically a throw away amount. Iv spent that today on a Larger Lunch.

There will be people in this thread who've convinced themselves the $400 console is worth buying because you get cool armour with it.

I'm getting the console because I Collect Halo stuff, Iv already got the H3 console and the Reach Slim. Makes sense for me.

Or Get mad at 343 because they dont know how to handle marketing or DLC for their game. All armor/emblems as DLC = more Money

343 are not to blame for the issue, Microsoft are.

That is if it's like Halo:Reach which we were made to believe bungie got told to make certain armor preorder only from microsoft. Then i assume these type of bonuses get auctioned off to the highest bidders.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
wtfwtf_zpsc36aa9eb.jpg

This looks more like BSangel doesn't thoroughly understand what comes with what as stated by Frankie that there is still confusion on their part. It makes too much sense to get a complete Map Pack pass in the LE that includes the helmets/dlc, what were they thinking if it doesn't?

I understand this is 343i first release but wow they need to work on how they communicate things to the community.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
What I am thinking of doing, being that I was already going to get the console.

I will simply get Console + LE + Buy Map Pass on live then turn around and sell Map Pass in LE then I get everything, plus probably sell a controller or two from console to make up the money since I use wired anyway.

Shadders

I'm getting the console because I Collect Halo stuff, Iv already got the H3 console and the Reach Slim. Makes sense for me.

Yeah me too, at this stage I'm just buying it because I buy everything they put out..

It's been a long time since I tried to justify the value of purchasing Halo stuff to myself. One day I'm going to lose my job and survey the thousands of pounds I've spent on Halo merch and cry.

Fuchsdh

But there should be some sort of backlash for the way that 343 poorly handles every aspect of their marketing and DLC distribution.
Well, that's Microsoft. I understand your point but ultimately we can and do vote with our wallets. Im fine with preordering DLC and so the LE makes sense to me. I don't care about not having all the armor. The LE is cool but impractical as I've got a Slim that's barely a year old and have no reason to update. But that's just my personal estimation and your mileage will vary.

343 does not handle Marketing and distribution.
They work close with the marketing team.

wtfwtf_zpsc36aa9eb.jpg

This looks more like BSangel doesn't thoroughly understand what comes with what as stated by Frankie that there is still confusion on their part. It makes too much sense to get a complete Map Pack pass in the LE that includes the helmets/dlc, what were they thinking if it doesn't?

I understand this is 343i first release but wow they need to work on how they communicate things to the community.
Yes. I agree. I even see no point for creating an extra DLC.

Well, that's Microsoft. I understand your point but ultimately we can and do vote with our wallets. Im fine with preordering DLC and so the LE makes sense to me. I don't care about not having all the armor. The LE is cool but impractical as I've got a Slim that's barely a year old and have no reason to update. But that's just my personal estimation and your mileage will vary.

LE and Console are 2 different things.

I just don't see who benefits from not just giving the armour bonuses for the map pass to LE...

This whole situation is really irritating.

Mass Effect 3 had done it so much better... soooo much better.

Myyke

Neo Member
bobs99 said:
That's a pretty big file size for a picture that tells me so little,

Put it this way, with ac3 I can tell you that the limited edition includes a 60 page booklet written from the perspective of Washington
- that doesn't interest me so I won't buy it.

The Limited Edition also contains the UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet, which includes an armour customisation schematic, a blueprint of the massive ship itself, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: the Spartan-IVs.

That quote in itself gives me a clear idea of what will be included in the briefing packet, I just don't see where there is any confusion about what you're getting?

bobs99 said:
I feel like there's two type of people who get the ltd edition  - people who love the franchise and want all of the stuff they can get or people who see something in the ltd edition and decide to buy it because the product itself is good

I hope you're not saying that someone can't both love the franchise and see genuine value in the Ltd Edition? I love the Halo franchise, and I'm a collector of sorts, mostly the Halo-themed consoles and hardware but I also enjoy the Halo Art Books and anything that expands upon the fiction of the universe or how it was developed. The Ltd Edition appeals to me in many ways and it is most certainly not out of pure blind fandom.

bobs99 said:
Put it this way, with reach I got the Halsey journal because it was a full on book written by nylund - halopedia wouldn't have done it justice considering it would just give me a overview rather than let me read it myself. Reading cliff notes is fine depending on the product.

Is the spartan briefing packet cool enough to justify its price? Will I read it and think its a good product or should I just halopedia the content? I would rather 343 made that clear. It would suck to waste money on it if its fluff but it would also suck to miss out on something which actually might be on par with a book - something online summaries won't do justice.

I think the difference between me and you Bobs is that I can see clear value in the Limited Edition as a complete package. From conversations we've had, it's clear that the DLC and Digital Content doesn't appeal to you and you've mentioned that you aren't fond of the packaging, so everything seems to be hinging on the briefing packet. I think this is made quite clear by the bolded above. If you can't find value in the overall package then perhaps the Standard Edition + War Games Pass is a better choice and will probably give you more bang for your buck?

bobs99 said:
Come on mykke surely you can't justify how little we know about the purchasing options?

Again, our perceptions of this must be absolute polar opposites because I genuinely, honestly feel that I can make an informed decision on my purchase choice. I'm not defending 343 or Microsoft, simply stating my honest opinions and thoughts.

Omni

I haven't used Photoshop for years now, to much effort to pirate it :/

It's not that expensive, is it? The parents bought it for me last Christmas to go with my new laptop. /random off topic comment.

Anyway. Why are Halo 3 MM achievements so annoying to get? Double laser kill in FFA? Kill me now.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, kylej (god help me). I don't buy the argument that was made a while back that stated the xbox bundle was meant for people who were not absolute fans of Halo. Bundling a game(s) with a console is smart for people who are newcomers to the platform or need a replacement; I got a regular ps3 bundled with Uncharted 3 and it was great. However, to create a specially-designed box that is specific to a franchise with a rabid fan base and bundle it like you would any other combo is not only short-sighted and mind-boggling as a business decision, it's incredibly insulting to a fan that is willing to spend money on quality.

"Hey, here's an incredible-looking xbox that we made for fans just like you. Also, fuck you in the face if you want the other cool stuff that we're offering to fans. You can always trade in the standard edition of the game into your local Gamestop for $8 and use it as a credit toward the $100 $99 Limited Edition. Everybody wins, right?"

This is how I think Microsoft should have marketed these different editions:

• Standard Edition: self explanatory
  • Limited Edition: bundled as it is currently, perhaps with a bit more exposition as to what exactly is in it before we shell out $100.
  • Legendary Edition: pricey, but well worth it to the fanbase that it was seemingly intended for
    -special awesome custom xbox with the FOTUS armor exclusive
    -special awesome controllers
    -Limited Edition of Halo 4, including all of its content
    -wired Astros​
  • standard xbox/Halo 4 bundle for newcomers/frugal replacement console seekers

Can someone in the know tell me why something like this wasn't implemented? As packaged currently, I see nothing that entices me to pre-order anything, which is incredibly sad for a game that I was so excited to have played.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, he wants it done properly.

Gui pls.

Thanks Stalker.

Gui has a point even if he was kidding, a chart can't be made because there's still clarification that needs to be done. Frank said we will be getting actual confirmation in "a week or two" because "certain items are in flux."

I haven't used Photoshop for years now, to much effort to pirate it :/

Well, it was nice knowing ya.

Myyke

Neo Member
I wholeheartedly agree with you, kylej (god help me). I don't buy the argument that was made a while back that stated the xbox bundle was meant for people who were not absolute fans of Halo. Bundling a game(s) with a console is smart for people who are newcomers to the platform or need a replacement; I got a regular ps3 bundled with Uncharted 3 and it was great. However, to create a specially-designed box that is specific to a franchise with a rabid fan base and bundle it like you would any other combo is not only short-sighted and mind-boggling as a business decision, it's incredibly insulting to a fan that is willing to spend money on quality.

"Hey, here's an incredible-looking xbox that we made for fans just like you. Also, fuck you in the face if you want the other cool stuff that we're offering to fans. You can always trade in the standard edition of the game into your local Gamestop for $8 and use it as a credit toward the $100 $99 Limited Edition. Everybody wins, right?"

This is how I think Microsoft should have marketed these different editions:

• Standard Edition: self explanatory
  • Limited Edition: bundled as it is currently, perhaps with a bit more exposition as to what exactly is in it before we shell out $100.
  • Legendary Edition: pricey, but well worth it to the fanbase that it was seemingly intended for
    -special awesome custom xbox with the FOTUS armor exclusive
    -special awesome controllers
    -Limited Edition of Halo 4, including all of its content
    -wired Astros​
  • standard xbox/Halo 4 bundle for newcomers/frugal replacement console seekers

Can someone in the know tell me why something like this wasn't implemented? As packaged currently, I see nothing that entices me to pre-order anything, which is incredibly sad for a game that I was so excited to have played.

As someone who is buying both the the Console and the Limited Edition, this would have been ideal for me and I think it would have been a good chance for 343/Microsoft to go the extra mile for the hardcore fans, but I wasn't exactly surprised when it turned out this way;

Halo 3 Console came with Halo 3 Standard Edition
Halo Reach Console came with Halo Reach Standard Edition
Modern Warfare 3 console came with MW3 Standard Edition
Gears of War 3 console came with Gears of War 3 Standard Edition

Woorloog

Banned
As someone who is buying both the the Console and the Limited Edition, this would have been ideal for me and I think it would have been a good chance for 343/Microsoft to go the extra mile for the hardcore fans, but I wasn't exactly surprised when it turned out this way;

I reckon this is more cost effective for MS and other publishers, Collector Editions don't have very good value for publishers, IIRC, but retaillers like them since they draw in people.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member

^^^
I was just thinking the same thing Microsoft has a proven track record when it comes to bundling games with an Xbox, I don't think I have ever seen anything other than standard editions of games included.

Top Bottom