• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Zero Punctuation has awful taste in games. The reviews have some good jokes in them, but his opinions are all over the map.

Actionbutton.net have the only videogame reviews worth reading, even if you don't agree with them.

For reference, here is the actionbutton.net review of Halo 3: http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=312

Woorloog

Banned
Seriously?

Mostly. Needs to be really interesting or special before i get such game.
As a general rule, games getting under 80 score tend to have more (than those above that score) technical issues, frame rate drops, glitches or other such issues. Don't like those at all.
Also, in my experience, this rule tends to hold rather well.

And avoiding backlog is great.

Of course i don't actually get that many game in the first place, most i buy are AAA games.

EDIT looking at my 360 collection, there is no single under 80 score game, indeed most are 85+. I used to have The Force Unleashed (79 on metacritic i think) but sold it. Good game, regret selling it.

nillapuddin

Funny way of saying Edge there.

Im not familiar

Zero Punctuation has awful taste in games. The reviews have some good jokes in them, but his opinions are all over the map.

Actionbutton.net have the only videogame reviews worth reading, even if you don't agree with them.

For reference, here is the actionbutton.net review of Halo 3: http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=312

whoa, "awful taste" (didnt see that) that I dont agree with, granted I used him in jest as a serious video game reviewer, but I wouldnt say its awful by any stretch

Thanks, Ill check it out

edit:
holy fuck I cannot read that website

L1NETT

Zero Punctuation has awful taste in games.

Really? I think his overall views are mostly accurate (bearing in mind he doesn't play MP) although his critiques (they aren't reviews) are generally funny and mostly sound. He isn't trying to have rational flaws 100% of the time, he is trying to be a biased critic nit picking like mad.

At least I think :p

I rarely pay attention to mainstream reviews. I usually leave it up to me whether I think I game is good. Oh and Gaf of course ;-)

---

Shadders, will be at Eurogamer on Sunday? If so, all day?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well, i skip games getting under 80 in Metacritic/Game Rankings/generally good sites even if they look kinda interesting. Prevents backlog creation.
But actual reviews? Meh. I'll listen to people on GAF.

There are loads of games I get that have way lower scores than that, but fit some specific critera of mine - stuff like Midway/Konami/Namco coin-op collections for example. As long as the emulation is good and the value prop is high, they're all 90s to me.

The music in the weapons trailer is the the Norin & Bad remix of Arrival if anyone is interested.

I don't think I'm going to upset anyone by saying that?

Oh cool, I like the track so good to know... out of curiosity how do you know that?

343 does not handle Marketing and distribution.

Im sure they collaborate.. And I hate to pull this card, but stuff like this did not happen under Bungie. The went above and beyond to make sure their fans weren't given the short end of stick. I understand things like this are complicated, but 343 is handling some of these extra's the way EA does at this point.

Which is why both options will be available.

So, you have to choose between LE with no extra armor pieces or SE+Pass for extra armor? Even though we are paying for the pass in the LE? That can't sound like a fair deal to you guys can it?

That was not the argument, the argument, and it's not really an argument but an indisputable economic fact, is that bundled special edition consoles are - in the vast majority, - being sold to first time consumers, and by extension, not hardcore Halo collectors. The economics of even being able to offer an LE console mean that we can't make them in small enough numbers to create something solely for collectors - and the LE, Ragnaork and Bobs protests aside, is actually too expensive to bundle with it - all of that content and packaging - including the map pass - have to be paid for internally - including some licensing and royalties and so on.

I have explained this a few times and I am not suggesting it's a perfect solution. Far from it, because for some collectors it presents an annoying hurdle. But it's either the way it's done generally today, or we have to price it so high that neither constituency would pay for it. The margins on consoles and in particular special editions, are not big enough to absorb extraneous costs.

I wish it were not that way, but that's the practical reality and has nothing to do with some venal or mean spirited decision anywhere in the chain.

This one is a bit more opinion based rather than just feeling ripped off like with the pass, but why do first time buyers get unique armor and LE long time fans just get a skin? It just feels like things are backwards here.

BS Angel Waypoint post:

On this page
https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst114410p3_The-Halo-Bulletin--9-19-12.aspx

Don't think that needs any more confirmation.

Well. Ok then, that settles that, but what the fuck are they thinking?

This is absolute BS. This practice is single handedly punishing those who buy the LE edition rather than just buy the standard edition plus the pass. LE buyers get a skin, and a skin only. Those who buy the standard edition plus mappack pass get two exclusive helmets. The LEs cost includes that very same mappack. Why the hell do we not get helmets? Its not like we can go buy the season pass again- we would be paying for the same content twice. As someone who is paying for LE I feel entitled to get what the season pass offers as it is simply part of its price. Why is OK that the fans are getting absolutely, indisputably screwed over like this? Seriously, I am feeling extremely ripped off at this moment. I just can't fathom why this is, or why you guys need to "brainstorm" to change this in the future; just make the season pass the same one that is available separately. Don't punish the fans like this, please.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, I have nothing but respect for Frankie, David, etc. (and I understand that this isn't their domain) but that doesn't change the fact that this is really, really crappy.

=D

I wonder how many spoilers this will include though.. Just one SP level? Just SP? Valhalla?

How many of the last however many pages I haven't read are people complaining about not being able to catch all the in-game skins or helmets or whatever other cosmetic bullshit? Because there is only so much time in a given day and I have to make top-level calls about my expenditure here.

Woorloog

Banned
There are loads of games I get that have way lower scores than that, but fit some specific critera of mine - stuff like Midway/Konami/Namco coin-op collections for example. As long as the emulation is good, they're all 90s to me.

My criteria for games are so specific there ain't games matching them. :/
I have very limited taste on games, nearly all 2d games are out of question (not counting some RTS games from 90s, can't explain it) and the rest... well, limited.
If i hadn't started playing Halo back in... can't remember when, when Halo PC came out, i wouldn't be playing Halo now. Nowadays i prefer very hard SF, i wouldn't like Halo if i didn't already like it.

Don't base your opinions on reviews.

Have your own opinion. Don't be sheep.

The more you know <3
Very hard to do this when games do not have demos, and thus getting to test game is nigh impossible. Don't want to buy something i cannot form opinion on. Usually. Exceptions include Halo 4...

The more you know <3

So you buy every video game ever?

No but I watch as much footage as possible and play a demo if there is one. Maybe ask a copy from a friend if any of them have the game I'm considering.

You don't have to feel bad for being a sheep. You CAN change though.

I base my buy off of a mixture of many things, if I limited myself to my own opinion based off of watching gameplay I'd make a lot of horrible buys. Maybe you're perfect though, thats not for me to judge.

Gui_PT

So you buy every video game ever?

No but I watch as much footage as possible and play a demo if there is one. Maybe ask a copy from a friend if any of them have the game I'm considering.

Very hard to do this when games do not have demos, and thus getting to test game is nigh impossible. Don't want to buy something i cannot form opinion on. Usually. Exceptions include Halo 4...

It'd be easier if we were all rich. Damn Obama.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
We're about six weeks from launch and the fact that 343 are refusing to even discuss the second disc is really, really puzzling.

Looking forward to hearing why they've delayed talking about it for so long.

I find it odd too, must be something on there they have yet to announce. Some feature that wasn't in the old games? That's about all I can think of right now.

Could disc 2 possibly have art assets for Spartan Ops that need to be installed along with updates from online?

The more you know <3

Bingo.

Although, if I am on the fence about what I played (from a demo or something) I will go to reviews and impressions to see if its worth my $60.

nillapuddin

The more you know <3

I mostly watch the GTTV reviews for fun, they always do 10~ minutes of quality feedback, its mostly just research, Ill never buy Ghost Recon Future Soilder, but I would like to play it with a friend maybe, so Ill watch the review and see what the deal is

Also, whenever I beat/finish a game I always go look up all the reviews I can easily find, just to see how our experiences varied

Idea for a Halo 4 demo:

Upload the Start Menu at 100% completion. ALL pre-order exclusives, all weapons, everything. Let people make custom Spartan Cards with poses, change their visors, customize their skins and emblems, and their loadouts, control schemes, look sensitivity. For unlockables, list prerequisites required to achieve them to prepare us for the full game. When Halo 4 releases, keep the demo, but add an "Export Settings to Halo 4" feature.

Woorloog

Banned

Footage alone doesn't necessarily tell much about a game. And most have too much talking, i just want to see pure gameplay footage with sound.
My friends are either not gamers or PC gamers so can't loan games from them either.
This leads my opinion for most games being: doesn't interest me one bit.

Is the Covenant Weapon Sounds video still up?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not getting the Season Pass armor with the LE that includes the Season Pass is pretty ridiculous.

I don't even care about the armor, but seriously, that's a pretty anti-consumer thing that's going on there. Even if it eventually does become available (IE paid armor pack), it bothers me. You now have what, 4 different SKUs that all offer different DLC pieces?

edit: Why are people speculating what is on each disc? It seems pretty obvious that one disc is multiplayer, and the other is Spartan Ops/Campaign. Unless there's something I'm missing.

GhaleonEB

There are loads of games I get that have way lower scores than that, but fit some specific critera of mine - stuff like Midway/Konami/Namco coin-op collections for example. As long as the emulation is good and the value prop is high, they're all 90s to me.
Likewise. Below a general score threshold (though I never use metacritic, ug), I need 1) a demo, 2) previous experience with the game (such as a port) or 3) recomendations from specific folks with whom I share gaming preferences.

We're about six weeks from launch and the fact that 343 are refusing to even discuss the second disc is really, really puzzling.

Looking forward to hearing why they've delayed talking about it for so long.

What's particularly odd is that they're showing the second disc, but not talking about it. I remember when the Halo 3 Legendary edition contents were shown and everyone freaked out over the extra discs, Bungie clarified as soon as they could. 343 is showing the second disc in their Bulletins, but not talking about them. I don't know if it's a deliberate tease, and oversight, or what. The reason for the disc is probably simple: it's the MP content, which you install, and then can launch from the Campaign disc from the menu. It's just odd that we have to speculate at this point.
Not getting the Season Pass armor with the LE that includes the Season Pass is pretty ridiculous.

I don't even care about the armor, but seriously, that's a pretty anti-consumer thing that's going on there. Even if it eventually does become available (IE paid armor pack), it bothers me. You now have what, 4 different SKUs that all offer different DLC pieces?

The way the armor permutations and skins are being doled out is getting kind of absurd, and does feel unfair to collectors/fans.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

edit: Why are people speculating what is on each disc? It seems pretty obvious that one disc is multiplayer, and the other is Spartan Ops/Campaign. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Well that's the thing, if it were that simple 343 would have said as much by now. There's got to be something more to that disc to keep them from talking about it.

I've been playing Halo 3 and it's reminded me that a lot of Halo's magic is in what the game let's you do in campaign (some of which the designers may not have intended). Some examples:
  • Getting vehicles where they're not supposed to go.
  • Giving marines your power weapons (infinite ammo fuel rod gun? how can this not be fun?)
  • Dynamic AI. I've played hundreds of hours of Halo and the AI will still surprise me.
  • Being able to do vehicle sections on foot and vice versa.
  • Carrying weapons from an early part of the level to a later part to have a massive advantage. (I remember "pick up-drop forward" cycling every power weapon I could find onto that tram car to take me to Regret's cathedral in Halo 2. I had so much ammo I didn't have to sweat all those Honor Guard Elites waiting for me.)
Little things that would be great to have fixed:
  • AI Warthog gunners that aren't blind! Reach was the worst about this. The gunner would track enemies, but wouldn't fire unless they were point-blank. Infuriating!
  • Friendly AI that won't steal my hog and drive off with it when I walk more than 5 feet away (to say, snipe that turret that the gunner won't shoot at).
Also, a neat little thing I noticed in Halo 3. ODST gunners & Marine gunners have different targeting distances. An ODST warthog gunner will engage at twice the distance of a marine. It's the little things like this that really show Bungie's attention to detail.

I'm really glad we're getting new enemies besides the Covenant. The Covenant've been great, but after 10 years of fighting them, I know their tricks.. That's not to say they don't surprise me, but they're a known enemy. I hope the Prometheans stand up as challenging, dynamic enemies. It sure sounds like they will, especially with 343 mentioning how they will work together (a new trick).

Fracas

#fuckonami
Well that's the thing, if it were that simple 343 would have said as much by now. There's got to be something more to that disc to keep them from talking about it.

Lol it took like 4 months from the announcement of the LE to last night for them to explain what's actually in it. We won't find what's on disc 2 until November 6th.

FyreWulff

Post #77:

If the War Games Pass in the LE and the purchasable War Games Pass do in fact differ that much, one of them should be renamed. It comes across as being intentionally confusing, even if it's not intended to be that way.

I suggest the language be changed to "War Games Map Pass and Early Augmentation Access" for LE and "War Games Map Pass and Early Armor Bonus" for the purchasable one. I dunno. Just don't say the LE includes the War Games Pass for free when it doesn't actually contain all of content of the War Games Pass the non-LE users will be buying.

Because seriously, about a week ago, I thought I had it figured it out, and now I'm doubly confused.

See y'all November 7th.

Woorloog

Banned
And some bitter non-professional gaming "journalist" tells you a lot about a game?

=\

Nope.
I want pure gameplay footage without commentary (though beetween clips that is fine, but not by some random youtube user) with skilled player. And then dev blogs (preferrably text) explaining stuff, rationale behind decisions, stuff like that.

Dynamic AI. I've played hundreds of hours of Halo and the AI will still surprise me.
Halo AI cannot surprise me anymore :/ I hope Halo 4 will change that.

GhaleonEB

I've been playing Halo 3 and it's reminded me that a lot of Halo's magic is in what the game let's you do in campaign (some of which the designers may not have intended). Some examples:
  • Getting vehicles where they're not supposed to go.
  • Giving marines your power weapons (infinite ammo fuel rod gun? how can this not be fun?)
  • Dynamic AI. I've played hundreds of hours of Halo and the AI will still surprise me.
  • Being able to do vehicle sections on foot and vice versa.
    [*]Carrying weapons from an early part of the level to a later part to have a massive advantage. (I remember "pick up-drop forward" cycling every power weapon I could find onto that tram car to take me to Regret's cathedral in Halo 2. I had so much ammo I didn't have to sweat all those Honor Guard Elites waiting for me.)
Little things that would be great to have fixed:
  • AI Warthog gunners that aren't blind! Reach was the worst about this. The gunner would track enemies, but wouldn't fire unless they were point-blank. Infuriating!
  • Friendly AI that won't steal my hog and drive off with it when I walk more than 5 feet away (to say, snipe that turret that the gunner won't shoot at).
Also, a neat little thing I noticed in Halo 3. ODST gunners & Marine gunners have different targeting distances. An ODST warthog gunner will engage at twice the distance of a marine. It's the little things like this that really show Bungie's attention to detail.

I'm really glad we're getting new enemies besides the Covenant. The Covenant've been great, but after 10 years of fighting them, I know their tricks.. That's not to say they don't surprise me, but they're a known enemy. I hope the Prometheans stand up as challenging, dynamic enemies. It sure sounds like they will, especially with 343 mentioning how they will work together (a new trick).

Great post. One thing in Reach that brought the game down a bit was the fact that you never really need to do what I've bolded. In Halo 1-3, and ODST, you have to manage your resources to a degree, and saving/moving power weapons to different encounters was a really rewarding strategy. Reach handed you just what you needed at every opportunity (so ONI has three rocket launchers, three sniper rifles, etc., one dropped at every major encounter - rather than forcing us to pick what to use where). I really hope Halo 4 practices more restraint in this regard. Less absolutely is more in this respect.

Likewise. Below a general score threshold (though I never use metacritic, ug), I need 1) a demo, 2) previous experience with the game (such as a port) or 3) recomendations from specific folks with whom I share gaming preferences.
You make it sound as if, in the age of demos and instant communication between fans and contemporaries, gaming journalism (often written as if it's someone's side job) is unnecessary and irrelevant.

I like it.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone else save power weapons throughout the level and then not use them?
In Halo 2, even on Regret i rarely used my rocket launcher carried through the level, i managed with my battle rifle or carbine just fine.
I save my grenades, i save my ammo as much as possible... my resource management is "minimum usage". Many times i end up not using heavy weapons on more "difficult" encounters because i don't actually need them.

You make it sound as if, in the age of demos and instant communication between fans and contemporaries, that gaming journalism (often written as if it's someone's side job) is unnecessary and irrelevant.

I like it.
Bolded: what? No game i'm interested in has a demo...

Disc 1 - Theater Mode, 5 Multiplayer Maps, and Campaign Missions 1, 3, 5, and 7.
Disc 2 - Forge Mode, 5 Multiplayer Maps, and Campaign Missions 2, 4, 6, and 8.

In Halo 2, even on Regret i rarely used my rocket launcher carried through the level, i managed with my battle rifle or carbine just fine.
I save my grenades, i save my ammo as much as possible... my resource management is "minimum usage". Many times i end up not using heavy weapons on more "difficult" encounters because i don't actually need them.

I did this with Fuel Rods all the time in The Covenant. To whoever said you don't have to save up ammo in Reach: play LASO. You'll be backtracking maps five times just to find Nerfle rounds.

Hey You

Im sure they collaborate.. And I hate to pull this card, but stuff like this did not happen under Bungie. The went above and beyond to make sure their fans weren't given the short end of stick. I understand things like this are complicated, but 343 is handling some of these extra's the way EA does at this point.

Yeah, it is indeed frustrating and a little worrisome on how they are handling marketing and communicating their game to fans. Then I remember it's a group of people who A) Haven't worked on Halo before B) Haven't worked together before. Obviously some exceptions.

Then I feel sorry for you. I never would have tried and loved Bioshock without a demo. Or Shadow Complex, or Mark of the Ninja, etc. Word of mouth sends me to the demo, which sent me to find more information about the game through GAF or just straight-up buying it. Conversely, demos have prevented me from wasting money on a game I thought I'd like.

The majority of reviewers do nothing but tell me their personal opinions, which mean nothing to me.

nillapuddin

Between Infinite Ammo swapping with NPC's, weapon swapping (swap throwing them around the level) and a general conservation effort, I often end each level with the
most kick ass weapons.

Woorloog

Banned
Then I feel sorry for you. I never would have tried and loved Bioshock without a demo. Or Shadow Complex, or Mark of the Ninja, etc. Word of mouth sends me to the demo, which sent me to find more information about the game through GAF or just straight-up buying it. Conversely, demos have prevented me from wasting money on a game I thought I'd like.

The majority of reviewers do nothing but tell me their personal opinions, which mean nothing to me.

I've ended up burning myself a few times due to lack of demos. I can find quite many games interesting if i start reading about them but i don't actually like most.
Too bad there ain't XBLA games i'd be interested in, they'd at least have demos always.

D'oh. Now that i think of this, i get a feeling i shouldn't bother with Halo 4 without testing it. But i'll disregard this feeling, i'll get Halo 4 and it'll be the demo for Reclaimer Saga for me. If i like it, i'll get Halo 5 and 6 around the time Halo 6 comes and the NextBox is cheap enough, If i don't like it... well, a lot of money saved.

Kinda LTTP, but I liked the Covenant Weapons trailer. The Fuel Rod and Beam Rifle sound amazing... Actually all weapons sound amazing so far. Can't wait to hear them on my system.

Just a quick question, but is everyone forgetting that the LE comes with access to all specialization paths? Because to me, that's the main selling point over the Strider and Scanner helmets..

..or does the season pass come with that too? When does the season pass even release anyway?

Woorloog

Banned
Just a quick question, but is everyone forgetting that the LE comes with access to all specialization paths? Because to me, that's the main selling point over the Strider and Scanner helmets..

..or does the season pass come with that too? When does the season pass even release anyway?

The SP won't come with Specs but they will be available for everyone eventually.
At least in my case my preferred perk build doesn't require Specializations so i don't care if i lack them.

I had forgotten that actually.

TCKaos

Halo multiplayer has changed. It's no longer about skill, equal starts and ranks. It's an endless series of sloppy battles, fought by BKs and tryhards. Halo multiplayer, and its consuption of time, has become a well-oiled dildo machine. Halo multiplayer has changed. Noobs carry slowdown-imune swords, use Camo. Perks inside their bodies undeservedly enhance their abilities. Hill control. Flag control. Ball control. Map control. Everything is announced with big white text and by a Steitzer on crack. Halo multiplayer has changed. The age of skillful beauty has become the age of convoluted BK bonanza. All in the name of trying to lure in some COD dudebros. And he who controls the playlists terribly, controls our game history. Halo multiplayer has changed.
When I get home I want to read this in Snake's voice.

Top Bottom