• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

I think I remember Bungie saying something about a fanfest at E3 this year...can anyone else confirm that I'm not just going senile? I've taken a new position at work and would like to put in for time off as early as possible, but I can't find confirmation anywhere.

GhaleonEB said:
I think I remember Bungie saying something about a fanfest at E3 this year...can anyone else confirm that I'm not just going senile? I've taken a new position at work and would like to put in for time off as early as possible, but I can't find confirmation anywhere.

Fanfest? What do you mean? o_O

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Is E3 even open to the public? I knew it was some years ago but I thought that changed.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
Ok, that sounds sick. I'm buying this game.

The online aspect is pretty lackluster, auto aim kills the competitive aspect, and I don't personally find the free roam stuff that appealing after a couple of tries. Single player is fun though...

kylej

Banned
I used to think MLG pros were better than me at Halo, but thanks to some members of HaloGAF I realized they're not playing true Halo. Because more variables require more skill I am now dedicating the rest of my Halo 3 play to 8v8 Heavies. If anyone is interested in playing with me let me know.

Striker

Church RvB said:
Three overkills... Wow. Wish I could see the film. Sounds fishy. 25 Headshots, 29 sniper kills though.
Nothing fishy about 47 kills with 47 headshots in the post I made earlier. He seems to have some modded box because he's got a flaming Recon along with shooting his Sniper Rifle, which reloads itself with no animation, and no matter in what vicinity the player is, he'll shoot and it'll headshot despite his rifle not pointing in his direction.

Striker said:
Nothing fishy about 47 kills with 47 headshots in the post I made earlier. He seems to have some modded box because he's got a flaming Recon along with shooting his Sniper Rifle, which reloads itself with no animation, and no matter in what vicinity the player is, he'll shoot and it'll headshot despite his rifle not pointing in his direction.

:lol Sounds like this guy just has 'skillz'.

Sai-kun

Banned
ManCannon said:

r74tqc.jpg

wait.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
ah! I know that linux dude :lol

Let me know if you want a 48h code.

Haha really? I think he was talking shit to me the game before this one actually.

Thanks for the offer but that's OK, I'll just wait until tomorrow :D

Oozer3993

Kibbles said:
Anyone know why my brother has to be online to play the Halo Wars demo? We tried redownloading it, but if he isn't signed on XBL it won't launch the demo. =|

(edit) just unplugged the ethernet cord while he was playing. The xbl disconnect notification came up, but it also said in the notification that 10 minutes were remaining. What? I have the demo on my xbox too by the way, and it works just fine offline.

(edit 2) Okay, after waiting the 10min a notification pops up saying "You must be signed in with an Xbox LIVE profile that has purchased this game.

>_<

Sounds like a license issue. Which is weird, because I didn't think demos had licenses. You might be able to rectify it be using the License Transfer Tool. Just a heads up though, you won't be able to use the License Transfer Tool again for a year.

Nelo Ice

Banned
nice just saw the sep 14th release date

think im gonna keep my standard edition preorder since ive been burned on halo LE since MS will overproduce them again and once again months down the line we'll be able to find legendary editions for really cheap :lol

of course the only reason i want the anything above the SE is the damn elite armor/flaming head

feel

I missed that there would be an exclusive helmet for preorders, was that even mentioned on halogaf at all??

Looks awful but I want to try and have as much of the ingame stuff as possible, any word on if Amazon preorders will get it?

Butane123

Demoncarnotaur said:
For some reason when I saw the day one helmet here:

recon.jpg

I thought of:

Heracross.png

I don't know why.. :lol I cant wait til September 14th.
Can I use Megahorn with the Recon helmet?

EazyB

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:
For some reason when I saw the day one helmet here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/cplqpictures/500x_freehat.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Is that supposed to be Recon? I've never been a huge fan of [URL="http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3MythicII/H3_Mythic2_Heretic-01.jpg"]Halo 3's recon[/URL] but it looks world's better than this one. Actually I think the art design behind the Spartan II armors look a lot better than the Reach armor suits. Still think they took too much of a "let's throw a bunch of extra shit on characters to make them look more detailed" when sticking with the new engine and better textures with a similar art design would've been more appealing.

What's with the random shit you can throw on your spartan's head. It all looks so terrible :lol

Not a big deal since I'll probably just opt to keep them off but it'd be more compelling to me if the additions to the helmet were more like adding particle effects, lights, or even classy decals to them instead of just tacking more shit onto them.

Striker said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1659317405&player=Jester snipes
:lol :lol

MLG Venom looks to boost off him, also.

EDIT: Watching a match with him; seems apparent he's got a modded 360.

Yeah he will be banned shortly, I presume, but he has about 39 games played. So he'll have another account, or multiple others. Thankfully in Reach the alt-account junk seems dispelled.

Well if they have hacked into matchmaking then that leaves matchmaking vulnerable to a variety of hacks, it would be hard to fix each and every one, hopefully Bungie can fix the loophole allowing them to get hacks into matchmaking.

This sucks because it also affects Reach, if people can mod matchmaking right off the bat it would suck.

EazyB said:
Is that supposed to be Recon? I've never been a huge fan of Halo 3's recon but it looks world's better than this one. Actually I think the art design behind the Spartan II armors look a lot better than the Reach armor suits. Still think they took too much of a "let's throw a bunch of extra shit on characters to make them look more detailed" when sticking with the new engine and better textures with a similar art design would've been more appealing.

What's with the random shit you can throw on your spartan's head. It all looks so terrible :lol

Not a big deal since I'll probably just opt to keep them off but it'd be more compelling to me if the additions to the helmet were more like adding particle effects, lights, or even classy decals to them instead of just tacking more shit onto them.

If it's stuff like the visor extension bit on the starting armor, I don't mind it. But having these random radios and giant bulky things stick off of helmets just looks stupid.

Ajemsuhgao said:
If it's stuff like the visor extension bit on the starting armor, I don't mind it. But having these random radios and giant bulky things stick off of helmets just looks stupid.

Not to mention a bit pointless, your not exactly gonna notice the small details in gameplay.

I hope the base armour peices are really distinct visually so I can tell in game, who is who. If its the lower level customization where the most customization takes place then it may be hard in game to even notice that stuff.

I tend to change my strategy based on who I see, that Hayabusa guy has rockets? Bail out!

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Maybe it's just too early for the GAF crowd, but Bungie's posted a new video saying goodbye to the Beta:

The Good, The Bad-ass, and The Ugly

Fan-submitted clips, put together by Bungie's ViDoc team. Pretty nice work! (The RL Banshee kill near the end is spectacularly filmed.)
That was great. The "Ugly" section had me laughing pretty hard. :lol

Edit: is that Recon with the little bird perch the pre-order bonus?

feel

Bird perch lol. And yeah it's probably the same as with Sgt. Johnson on ODST, preorder at certain retailers and get a code.

edited in-
Actually this says it's the preorder bonus outside of the US and that on the US every launch day buyer gets it.

Louis Wu said:
Maybe it's just too early for the GAF crowd, but Bungie's posted a new video saying goodbye to the Beta:

The Good, The Bad-ass, and The Ugly

Fan-submitted clips, put together by Bungie's ViDoc team. Pretty nice work! (The RL Banshee kill near the end is spectacularly filmed.)
Nice. Didn't make me miss the beta, just look forward more to playing the finalized game.

What was that stuff right in the beginning (in a dark room with multiple people getting assassinated) all about?

And good to see that duel between the two Armor Lockers was considered ugly, and hopefully that means the lure into melee then tap Armor lock to drain shields tactic is not as easy and cheap on final.

VVV Oh right! I had only seen closeup pics of that, never in motion, thanks.

Letters said:
Probably the same as with Sgt. Johnson on ODST, preorder at certain retailers and get a code.

Nice. Didn't make me miss the beta, just look forward more to playing the finalized game.

What was that stuff right in the beginning (in a dark room with multiple people getting assassinated) all about?

And good to see that duel between the two Armor Lockers was considered ugly, and hopefully that means the lure into melee then tap Armor lock to drain shields tactic is not as easy and cheap on final.
The Black Pyramid Room happened sometimes when someone went into an assassination during host migration.

The assassinated corpse would clone into every assassination animation for that pose while wearing armors that are hidden/unused within the files of the beta but not unlockable in the beta, some even seen untextured.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
That was great. The "Ugly" section had me laughing pretty hard. :lol

Edit: is that Recon with the little bird perch the pre-order bonus?

It's a "while supplies last" sort of thing. Codes will be packed inside a limited number of boxes. You don't necessarily need to pre-order.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
urk said:
It's a "while supplies last" sort of thing. Codes will be packed inside a limited number of boxes. You don't necessarily need to pre-order.

Awesome. That means I don't have to try to get any pre-order code from the employees at the store. I already pre-ordered so I should be guaranteed one hopefully.

Top Bottom