• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB said:
Bear in mind that the build we played was over a month old by the time we got our hands on it; by the end of the Beta, it was about two months old.

:lol

Well, yea, of course, but I guess I'm just comparing it to the Halo 3 beta, which I'm sure was on a similar schedule, and was more bug free than most retail games. I'm not saying it's a totally bad thing either, Bungie really seems to do some amazing work when they are up against a time crunch. I mean Halo CE had what, like 14 months to be completely rebuilt and redesigned as an xbox game? So we know Bungie can handle the pressure.

EazyB

Banned
Pretty early release date. I'll have a lot of time to dig in before Autumn quarter begins.

GhaleonEB said:
Bear in mind that the build we played was over a month old by the time we got our hands on it; by the end of the Beta, it was about two months old.
Even then, the Halo 3 beta was probably on a similar schedule and it was markedly more polished then the Reach beta. Of course it's understandable given how much they changed/added but regardless, they have a lot more work ahead of them then they did with Halo 3's MP this late in development.

Halo 3 had what, 2 patches over the course of its lifetime, I fear Reach will be much rougher in the end and have to go through a lot more post-launch work to get it anywhere as polished as Halo 3 (both glitches and balance).

September 14th baby! Can't wait. I'm glad Halo basically owns the month of September. It's nice to not have Halo launching in the middle of everything else every holiday season.

Ramirez

EazyB said:
Being shot from behind, ducking around a corner, timing a nade so your pursuer steps right on top of it, and making them sit down with a shot to the face is the single best thing in the world.

You're a fool if you don't think we'll be back to playing Halo 3 in a few week's time. Everyone's playing newer games at the moment and I'm pretty busy. But we'll come back, we always do.

Hmm, I dunno dude, the two times I've booted it up I've had no desire to play, the lag didn't help last night...

Ramirez said:
Hmm, I dunno dude, the two times I've booted it up I've had no desire to play, the lag didn't help last night...
Each to their own. Playing Halo is second nature to me now. If I don't know what game to play, chances are I'll pop on to Halo 3 as it is usually in the box. Gaf customs, MM with friends, it's a nice chunk of my social interactions and I ain't gonna abandon it so soon ;)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Think I'll return to Halo very shortly, just getting my space/sci-fi kicks from a completely different angle at the right now and I'm enjoying the moment.

Schmitty

Finally remembered to download all of the stuff from my file share I wanted to save. I forgot to do it during the Halo 3 beta, and lost some pretty cool stuff.

Did Bungie ever say when they were wiping everything?

Dani said:
Think I'll return to Halo very shortly, just getting my space/sci-fi kicks from a completely different angle at the right now and I'm enjoying the moment.
Yeah, I've almost been sucked into Oblivion and Mass Effect 2 haha (and Phantasy Star Online I&II for the Gamecube :p). Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I look forward to some Gaf customs over the next few months.

Reach, please have awesome Customs.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Weirdly enough, this is pure coincidence.

Frankie confirms it, we meet Master Chief on Reach by pure co-incidence!!!!!1!!

P.S. Im straight back to Halo 3, no other game matches Halo for me. Theres so much stuff I wanna do, but meh Halo time! :lol

They could do something to drag people back into Halo 3 for its last few months though (like Ramirez :D ), they just need to make people try playing 1 game and they would be hooked lol - making 1 or more of the map packs free would drag people back in (but probably isnt viable). More EXP for certain playlists (triple exp weekends?) worked for Gears for a bit.

Bungie Day will be interesting, a play for fire playlist where a select few earned a flaming helmet could drag people in. Either way I want more then 300 people in social skirmish. :lol

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Weirdly enough, this is pure coincidence.
I assumed so - development schedules and release dates are obviously too important to make inside references with. One hell of an amusing coincidence, though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
September 14? Awesome. A little earlier than I expected.

And about going back to Halo 3, I'm sure I'll do it soon. Regardless of whether or not Reach is better or worse than Halo 3 or Halo 3 is better or worse than Halo 2 and so on and so forth, I love Halo, period. I will ALWAYS play Halo.

But for NOW, there's just something about hunting some cougars and bears with 2 of your buddies while 2 other buddies are 100 miles away from you roughing up a gang while another 5 buddies are 200 miles away from you taking over a town. <3 RDR.

I'm thinking of doing a full Halo series replay before Reach hits, but my current, catch up catalog is really long right now, and filled with really long games. (Dragon age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Fable 2 are all on there.)

Oi.

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
September 14? Awesome. A little earlier than I expected.

And about going back to Halo 3, I'm sure I'll do it soon. Regardless of whether or not Reach is better or worse than Halo 3 or Halo 3 is better or worse than Halo 2 and so on and so forth, I love Halo, period. I will ALWAYS play Halo.

But for NOW, there's just something about hunting some cougars and bears with 2 of your buddies while 2 other buddies are 100 miles away from you roughing up a gang while another 5 buddies are 200 miles away from you taking over a town. <3 RDR.
Ok, that sounds sick. I'm buying this game.

Dirtbag said:
what does this even matter?
Dude, hello :p It's the default control scheme. People are going to cry when they can't switch grenades with X.

Here's to hoping the put fire on clicking in the left stick.

Since the Beta is over...this is that glitch that I found and told urk about. At first I thought it didn't work in Arena but I think it does/can if you somehow end up on the opposite team of your guest/s.

3 of us were split screening in the FFA playlist. 1 guest and 2 gold accounts. The search found players and we were just starting to vote on the gametype. My guest wanted to leave so we signed him out mid vote. Its gave us a message that someone signed out so I pressed "OK".

Lo and behold it was just me and the second gold still in the voting segment. The match was a 1v1 with just us two and after we were done playing it still gave me cR. We tried it on Invasion too and it did exactly the same thing.

I guess it could be gamebreaking because a lot of people would be boosting for rank or cR. Granted they wouldn't be playing directly with anyone else but the option is still there to "cheat" therefore making the ratings a little skewed.

Also tried it with four controllers and it still worked so it was basically a private match with 3 people and Ranking/cR enabled.

Spasm

Controls talk again, eh? Time to repost X Humper.

2h2grxw.jpg

The best part is... CoD'ers are already used to clicking LS to run (and a face button to crouch), and BJers are used to everything else... 'cept crouch.

I'm probably not helping my case by invoking Call of Duty, but I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if this doesn't make it in the final game. Swear off the jet-pack, I guess.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Since the Beta is over...this is that glitch that I found and told urk about. At first I thought it didn't work in Arena but I think it does/can if you somehow end up on the opposite team of your guest/s.

3 of us were split screening in the FFA playlist. 1 guest and 2 gold accounts. The search found players and we were just starting to vote on the gametype. My guest wanted to leave so we signed him out mid vote. Its gave us a message that someone signed out so I pressed "OK".

Lo and behold it was just me and the second gold still in the voting segment. The match was a 1v1 with just us two and after we were done playing it still gave me cR. We tried it on Invasion too and it did exactly the same thing.

I guess it could be gamebreaking because a lot of people would be boosting for rank or cR. Granted they wouldn't be playing directly with anyone else but the option is still there to "cheat" therefore making the ratings a little skewed.

Also tried it with four controllers and it still worked so it was basically a private match with 3 people and Ranking/cR enabled.

So you managed to access the equivelent of customs in the beta, and didnt tell us. For shame.

I guess the glitch isnt too bad as we could go into a 8 man game on grab bag emulating the same effect, but I guess people boosting in the Arena would be annoying.

Striker

Arena won't allow guests so I don't think that's going to be a big deal there. That said, I'm hoping there's a couple playlists primarily for guests in Halo: Reach anyways. While I didn't encounter them often in the beta, it'll be better for playlists that are built for them and other causes of split parties.

Striker said:
Arena won't allow guests so I don't think that's going to be a big deal there. That said, I'm hoping there's a couple playlists primarily for guests in Halo: Reach anyways. While I didn't encounter them often in the beta, it'll be better for playlists that are built for them and other causes of split parties.

Well Its not specific to guests. I meant another gold. So if you had two or three gold accounts and somehow one managed to end up on the other team it could work.

I didn't have three golds so I couldn't really check it properly.

GhaleonEB

Random note from the last BWU:

On the heels of the fifth campaign playtest the team continues work at a blistering pace to make sure all the sweet stuff we’ve promised to include, and all the amazing stuff you don’t even know about yet, is ready to go for prime time.

For a little bit more about the phenomenal progress being made, check out Marcus’ most recent remarks over at Noble Actual.

You might be seeing the fruit of the team’s laborious but glorious labor sooner than you think. Can’t wait to see the stupid look on your faces when you bear witness, too. Stay tuned.
Bungie's been pretty clear that Campaign would be featured at E3. So that made me curious as to whether we'd see a peek of it in advance of the show, since E3 is when I've been primed to think we'd see it next. Campaign vidoc?

electricpirate said:
I'm thinking of doing a full Halo series replay before Reach hits, but my current, catch up catalog is really long right now, and filled with really long games. (Dragon age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Fable 2 are all on there.)

Oi.
I'll definitely be doing a series replay. Thinking about making a thread so we can get some discussion going about it too.

EazyB

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Well Its not specific to guests. I meant another gold. So if you had two or three gold accounts and somehow one managed to end up on the other team it could work.

I didn't have three golds so I couldn't really check it properly.
The only time you should be party split is when you go into a playlist with a party that's bigger than the max team size. In arena you can't go in with a party bigger than the max size so it should never happen.

Ramirez said:
The last two times you didn't boot it up you didn't have an amazing player like myself to carry you. Don't worry, I'll be back.

Dax01 said:
I'll definitely be doing a series replay. Thinking about making a thread so we can get some discussion going about it too.

The play through needs a twist... a chronological twist!

Like for instance when we get to the slip space rupture in Halo 2, we stop playing Halo 2 and then play Halo: ODST before finishing Halo 2.

UltimaPooh said:
The play through needs a twist... a chronological twist!

Like for instance when we get to the slip space rupture in Halo 2, we stop playing Halo 2 and then play Halo: ODST before finishing Halo 2.
I've been thinking about the order to play it in, and this has crossed my mind. Not sure what I'll end up doing.

EazyB said:
The only time you should be party split is when you go into a playlist with a party that's bigger than the max team size. In arena you can't go in with a party bigger than the max size so it should never happen.

Yeah, you'd think that but I've been put on the opposite team plenty of times in Grab bag and Invasion while rolling with only 2 other people. The split usually happens when not only you have multiple people on 1 box but other players as well.

edit: Not to mention if you signed the person out before the teams were decided then it would automatically put you on the other team. Again how do you guys think I played Invasion without the match automatically ending if we were all on the same team? If I had 3 golds Im sure it would have worked in Arena. Matter of fact I did try it in Arena with two golds but obviously since one person signed out to do it...the match ended because it was just me.

feel

EazyB said:
Pretty early release date. I'll have a lot of time to dig in before Autumn quarter begins.

Even then, the Halo 3 beta was probably on a similar schedule and it was markedly more polished then the Reach beta. Of course it's understandable given how much they changed/added but regardless, they have a lot more work ahead of them then they did with Halo 3's MP this late in development.

Halo 3 had what, 2 patches over the course of its lifetime, I fear Reach will be much rougher in the end and have to go through a lot more post-launch work to get it anywhere as polished as Halo 3 (both glitches and balance).
And the thing is, that if at launch the game is not at the place we want it to be, it will take longer than what would be perfect for the good patches to start coming out, since Bungie at first will be all "deal with it, most people say it's perfect" and it won't be until a huge number of people start leaving after the freshness worns off, that they will really react.

EazyB said:

The last two times you didn't boot it up you didn't have an amazing player like myself to carry you. Don't worry, I'll be back.

There is another.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
Random note from the last BWU:

Bungie's been pretty clear that Campaign would be featured at E3. So that made me curious as to whether we'd see a peek of it in advance of the show, since E3 is when I've been primed to think we'd see it next. Campaign vidoc?
Ahh nice observation. We all think they are showing it at E3, so if we get a look even sooner that'd be pretty sweet.

Kibbles

Anyone know why my brother has to be online to play the Halo Wars demo? We tried redownloading it, but if he isn't signed on XBL it won't launch the demo. =|

(edit) just unplugged the ethernet cord while he was playing. The xbl disconnect notification came up, but it also said in the notification that 10 minutes were remaining. What? I have the demo on my xbox too by the way, and it works just fine offline.

(edit 2) Okay, after waiting the 10min a notification pops up saying "You must be signed in with an Xbox LIVE profile that has purchased this game.

>_<

Schmitty

Wow I played some Halo 3 today, and it feels much slower than Reach due to the smaller FOV. I felt like I was crawling around, even though player movement in that game is faster

Kuroyume

Banned
Letters said:
And the thing is, that if at launch the game is not at the place we want it to be, it will take longer than what would be perfect for the good patches to start coming out, since Bungie at first will be all "deal with it, most people say it's perfect" and it won't be until a huge number of people start leaving after the freshness worns off, that they will really react.

Yeah, that totally killed Halo 2 and MW2...

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
The bugs I'm not worried about, they'll get squished. (My only concern on that front is the spawn system.) The game was very solid and the number of bugs this far out not considerable. The issues that were most vocally shrieked about were a mix of deliberate design decisions and balance issues, which Bungie has said they're working on.

I think the only question is whether the decisions they make are appealing to someone, such that they put the game in "the place we want it to be". I suspect not every decision will go the way I'd rather, but enough will that I'll be a happy camper. (Just from the changes and fixes already announced, I'll like the shipping game a lot more than the Beta. So for me at least it'll be a question of margins.)

Striker

Sean P. said:
AIMBOTS? In my Halo 3 snipers?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1659329216&player=Its SeanP

It's more likely than you think!

lulz wot. flaming recon kid in mm getting all headshots
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1659317405&player=Jester snipes
:lol :lol

MLG Venom looks to boost off him, also.

EDIT: Watching a match with him; seems apparent he's got a modded 360.

Yeah he will be banned shortly, I presume, but he has about 39 games played. So he'll have another account, or multiple others. Thankfully in Reach the alt-account junk seems dispelled.

Well, this will probably just get lost in the thread, and if it does it really isn't a big deal, but...

There are a few things they need to fix in Reach, that are easily overlooked. Nothing major:

iym0c8.jpg

- UV's are messed up along the inside on the L-shaped armor bit. Pretty easy to spot the stretching.

2nhf7za.jpg

-Another UV error, ankle area where the leg armor goes up.

And finally:

293zssw.jpg

-Missing face on Powerhouse, it's on the left side of the...I don't remember the name, but where the lower team spawns. The building that has the health pack in it, near the Focus Rifle.

As I said, they are absolutely not a big deal. But I figure a few Bungie people read GAF, and all of them are certainly extremely easy fixes. Why not fix them? :lol

darthbob

Ajemsuhgao said:
Well, this will probably just get lost in the thread, and if it does it really isn't a big deal, but...

There are a few things they need to fix in Reach, that are easily overlooked.

As I said, they are absolutely not a big deal. But I figure a few Bungie people read GAF, and all of them are certainly extremely easy fixes. Why not fix them? :lol

I'm sure they're already fixed, or going to be soon. Polish time!

Top Bottom