• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Found it:

Halo Reach Beta: All Elite Armors

Took some screenshots:

Elite Armors:

Bionicle.jpg

What looks like a lego Bionicle character to me...

preorderarmorjpg.jpg

The preorder armor.

RoyalGuard.jpg

Polygons right now, but looks like a mix between a rhino and elite royal guards. MY fav of the bunch so far.

Spacesuit.jpg

Some sort of Flight/Spacesuit.

Spartans:

Spartans1.jpg

We might be able to use the EVA armor with the skull!

Spartans2.jpg

Military police, ODST, Mark V

Spartans3.jpg

Another view.

Dani said:
I think I played more 1-Flag in the Reach Beta than all of my Halo 3 1-Flag games. I just don't care for the mode at all. I can't even begin to count all the amazing 2-Flag games I had on Halo 3 however. So whatever changes they are making are moot to me. Bring on the non one sided objectives.
Dude! One Flag and One Bomb are sooooo much fun on Valhalla and Avalanche.

Doodis

Just now getting around to reading the IGN article, and this pleases me a great deal:

Active Camo also received a minor adjustment based on beta feedback. It was never the intent for the ability to scramble the shields of your friendly teammates while activated – it's only supposed to affect the player using it and nearby enemies.
I hated never knowing if it was a teammate or an enemy that was cloaking.

DeadFalling said:
I really hope the skull helmet doesn't make it to MP. Every fucking 12 year old on the planet will use it.
At least you'll be able to pick them out!

WJD

DeadFalling said:
I really hope the skull helmet doesn't make it to MP. Every fucking 12 year old on the planet will use it.
I hope there's just a vanilla EVA helmet without the skull too.

vhfive said:
He also kills Ram and Blood in that same clip.
He kills Trasher again earlier at 2:15 directly before he snipes an invis juices

I wonder if that game was part of their epic winstreak. A few of those clips his team is getting wrecked, but he's all "It's okay, I'll just display my sweet sniping skills."

I hate that in montages :p. If your team is down 7-1 in stockpile you shouldn't be showing off.

WJD said:
I hope there's just a vanilla EVA helmet without the skull too.
If it is included in MP as an option, it's got to be something that's earned.

I doubt the default EVA would be an etched helmet. It would be so easy to create a non-etched version.

Major Williams said:
If it is included in MP as an option, it's got to be something that's earned.

I doubt the default EVA would be an etched helmet. It would be so easy to create a non-etched version.
Plain EVA is the base and for 200k Cr you get the etching on it? Voila.

zumphry

Banned
Hydranockz said:

Wow, that's a easy job. I guess that's why Lukems is one (if not the best) players at Bungie. All of that time to play and practice after completing his job. :lol

(just kidding)

Marathon/Security helmet for 777k Cr or all Achievements please

(totally not kidding)

Striker

From those images, it appears some helmets use a silver-ish tint while some others use a gold. It'd be nice if we could toggle the skull on the EVA or not.

That said, the skull on the EVA is no way worse than the silly Katana Sword and Hayabusa armor from Halo 3.

Hydranockz said:
It seems more likely it would be earned for something in a campaign mission - like completing a mission with that Spartan in Legendary solo

EazyB

Banned
vhfive said:
He kills Trasher again earlier at 2:15 directly before he snipes an invis juices
SMH TJs

I expect better from you guys. Ram getting donged on, yeah, happens all the time, but the rest of you should know better.

Blueblur1 said:
I'd love to see the gold visors come back. The white/grey visors don't have the long lasting appeal of gold, IMO.

Maybe we will be able to unlock different color options through the credit system? That would be nice.

IGN: Can you dish some stats from the beta? What's the craziest number you've pulled from the data?

Brian Jarrard: For me personally the craziest number I've seen was the most time spent playing by a single person, which was 198 hours. That's roughly 12 hours per day for the entire duration of the beta. That's just crazy.

Insane would be the word I'd choose.

StUnNeR H2K

So excited about the release date!

Finally get to enjoy the release night without having to worry about work eating me the next day! Halo 3 & ODST both released the week I'm out of town for work, and unless I'm in the hospital no way I can get out of work that week.

:D

I really like the "spacesuit" Elite helmet.

Blueblur1 said:
I'd love to see the gold visors come back. The white/grey visors don't have the long lasting appeal of gold, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I would also like them to look more reflective and not so matte. Not actually reflect things, but just have the nice, glossy look. Like from the Reach trailer.

Trasher

vhfive said:
-___________________________-

EazyB said:
SMH TJs

I expect better from you guys. Ram getting donged on, yeah, happens all the time, but the rest of you should know better.
I think I was letting my sister play in those games. Almost positive on that one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LOL TJ's for shame

Nothing worse than being in a montage. I was in a Halo 2 montage back in the day. I was like the first kill of a killtacular and I had no shields though.

Played some MLG today. Got cheated against twice. It. Was. Awesome. Almost beat both cheating teams too. Fuckin scrubs.

Also, any news on when the Playlist will be updated to v8? It's been a long time since they've been released.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Tashi0106 said:
Also, any news on when the Playlist will be updated to v8? It's been a long time since they've been released.

Next week. All May hopper changes were pushed back to June so we could focus on the Reach beta.

Tashi

Stormtrooper30 said:
You have a summary of what was changed? Surely 3 years after release MLG has stopped changing it?

Ummmm. Midship ball has been removed and replaced by Guardian Ball. All plasma grenade pick ups on Midship have been removed. Some spawns have been tweaked on Midship as well. Construct slayer now has a Camo that lasts 1 minute rather than custom powerup while Construct King still has the normal custom powerup. I think that's all of it.

edit: Here's the official list

MLG said:
All Maps

The overall settings were unchanged from v7 to v8. One Game Type was added to the rotation: Guardian Ball. In addition, Heretic Ball was removed from the Game Type rotation.

MLG Heretic 8
-2 spawns were removed from Carbine-2 and all Plasma Grenades were removed from the map.

MLG Cstruct TS 8
-Construct TS now has a Custom Camouflage bottom center, near the Gold Lift.

MLG Cstruct King 8
-No Changes

MLG Amplified 8
-No Changes

MLG Narrows 8
-No Changes

MLG Onslaught 8
-No Changes

MLG The Pit 8
-No Changes

Tashi0106 said:
Ummmm. Midship ball has been removed and replaced by Guardian Ball. All plasma grenade pick ups on Midship have been removed. Some spawns have been tweaked on Midship as well. Construct slayer now has a Camo that lasts 1 minute rather than custom powerup while Construct King still has the normal custom powerup. I think that's all of it.

edit: Here's the official list
Ahh, thanks for that. Why did they decide to take the plasma nades off of Heretic? A little too much blue splosions for MLG to handle I guess. I don't like Guardian ball because you can jump off the ledge and reset the ball very easily, but Midship is kind of small for that sort of thing.

Lazslo

Is anyone else still able to use the theater?

Also this picture makes so much more sense now with some context. It also looks phenomenal:
Reach-Powerhouse_concept.jpg

Ajemsuhgao said:
When they hell did "polygon" replace untextured?

All I'm saying is that it's unfinished, I don't know what the polygon count is on it, I don't know if it's at the stage where it requires texturing, all I know is that it's an incomplete polygon version.

Tashi

Stormtrooper30 said:
Ahh, thanks for that. Why did they decide to take the plasma nades off of Heretic? A little too much blue splosions for MLG to handle I guess. I don't like Guardian ball because you can jump off the ledge and reset the ball very easily, but Midship is kind of small for that sort of thing.

There was massive complaining about stickies on that map. There's actually some validity to it though. Close range battles turn into one person getting the melee kill but dying from a sticky shit out from the other guys dead body. Getting sticky's off the instant before you die is much easier in Halo 3 than it was in Halo 2. I haven't played v8 yet to see how it plays out but we'll see. Also, out of the MLG maps Guardian is my least favorite for sure.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Been meaning to post this picture forever. Took it during some random invasion slayer game, and have been using it as my wallpaper ever since. :lol

http://i48.tinypic.com/ras3vb.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Ajemsuhgao/7a3c5d4f.jpg[/url] <- 1080 Larger version. Would use tinypic, but it resizes it to 1600x900 for some reason :([/QUOTE]

Awesome.

I took 2 badass pictures i was really proud of the last day of the beta but i dont know why they didnt get uploaded to my fileshare when i clicked to upload them.

Ssparks said:

Also this picture makes so much more sense now with some context. It also looks phenomenal:
Reach-Powerhouse_concept.jpg

People that got Friends and Family invites can still use the theater, I know that much. I'm not sure if ODST people can though.

Ssparks said:
I took a couple of pictures on Sunday that showed up in my recent screenshots. I tried it again yesterday but booting it up took me offline, so I guess that means it's no longer linked up with the b net (and I had a F&F code).

j9xyle.jpg

hryk47.jpg

Ajemsuhgao said:
Been meaning to post this picture forever. Took it during some random invasion slayer game, and have been using it as my wallpaper ever since. :lol

ras3vb.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Ajemsuhgao/7a3c5d4f.jpg <- 1080 Larger version. Would use tinypic, but it resizes it to 1600x900 for some reason :(

My eyes deceive me when I look at that picture. For some reason, my eyes see the energy sword pointing away from the camera rather than towards the camera, which really confuses my brain since that means the elite would have to be holding the sword in a really strange way. I mean, it seriously looks like the sword is pointing straight at the elite's chest.

Lazslo

Devin Olsen said:
I tried to get into Theater last night... I had a F&F code and when I try it just signs me off of XBL right away and will not let me continue.
I tried last night and it signed me off live but I was able to go watch old videos and such, just can't upload anything to the fileshare.

Vehicle Balance: Reposted

Let me start by telling a quick story. One time, on a game of Invasion on Boneyard, my Banshee took enough damage for flames to begin pouring out of it. I instantly knew my ride was about to explode. The thought of ‘Oh crap, I need to bail!’ ran through my mind. I exited my vehicle, only to see it continue on without me. After only a second the sky was lit with a huge explosion. I on the other hand was lucky enough to have landed on the roof of the base. With my ride busted, I continued on with my mission, happy to still be alive!

The above story is a rarity. All too often a player will be in a vehicle, only to be blindsided by one of many possible scenarios. The player or players normally die quickly and without any real chance of saving themselves. Skilled players and novices alike are both subject to this death trap. I suggest that all players be given a shot of redemption after their vehicle takes maximum damage. How can this be done? Simply give every vehicle a 2-3 second window of opportunity for the occupants to bail out. Imagine you’re in a Banshee. You’re hit by a Scorpion tanks shell. Your Banshee has taken maximum damage, but you don’t blow up automatically! Instead it starts flaming and beeping. You know it’s time to bail. So you do. At this point, it really depends on where you are in the map. Did you bail at maximum height? Do you have Jetpack? Can you survive the fall? Whether or not you survive now has more to do with skill than anything else. If you were good enough, you could have gotten to a safer height before making the plunge, perhaps you maneuvered yourself over a roof, or maybe you do have a jetpack and everything’s going to be ok. So what now? You lost your Banshee and you’re still alive. You’re down, but not out! You have a shot at redemption. You’re not stuck spawning. What about the guy who clipped your wings? Did he fail? No, he took you out of the sky, and he’s still in a tank, while you’re stuck with your own two legs. He should get a Medal though, right? Yeah, he should get the Vehicle Destroyed Medal. (Which already exists, believe it or not.) When he gets the Medal he knows he’s succeeded. He can safely tell his teammates ‘Banshees down.’ Both players can feel a sense of satisfaction, and I believe this would add more tension to the game.

I also think vehicle play could benefit from the Scorpion and Wraith being able to take two hits. Example: 1 rocket and 1 tank mortar. Or 1 laser and 1 fuel rod. Or any combination. Shooting the Wraith once with the scorpion and destroying it isn’t the way to go. (IMO) Tank battles are more fun when drawn out.

This is all my own personal opinion of course. If you’re reading this and think this is the worst idea ever, you can be happy to know I don’t work for Bungie. I’ve been thinking about the vehicle play in Reach a lot lately and I just wanted to give my opinion. If anyone likes the idea, please let me know. If a Bungie employee likes it that would be awesome. Right now it sounds good in my head. Maybe in practice it’s a horrible idea. Maybe Bungie already tried it and it sucked. I can’t say for sure. I just wanted to get my thoughts out. Thanks for reading.

Reposted Notes: I posted this before the Beta was over, and while not many people replied, all of the replies seemed to be extremely positive. I thought I'd give this post another chance to catch some more attention.

Church RvB said:

Let me start by telling a quick story. One time, on a game of Invasion on Boneyard, my Banshee took enough damage for flames to begin pouring out of it. I instantly knew my ride was about to explode. The thought of ‘Oh crap, I need to bail!’ ran through my mind. I exited my vehicle, only to see it continue on without me. After only a second the sky was lit with a huge explosion. I on the other hand was lucky enough to have landed on the roof of the base. With my ride busted, I continued on with my mission, happy to still be alive!

The above story is a rarity. All too often a player will be in a vehicle, only to be blindsided by one of many possible scenarios. The player or players normally die quickly and without any real chance of saving themselves. Skilled players and novices alike are both subject to this death trap. I suggest that all players be given a shot of redemption after their vehicle takes maximum damage. How can this be done? Simply give every vehicle a 2-3 second window of opportunity for the occupants to bail out. Imagine you’re in a Banshee. You’re hit by a Scorpion tanks shell. Your Banshee has taken maximum damage, but you don’t blow up automatically! Instead it starts flaming and beeping. You know it’s time to bail. So you do. At this point, it really depends on where you are in the map. Did you bail at maximum height? Do you have Jetpack? Can you survive the fall? Whether or not you survive now has more to do with skill than anything else. If you were good enough, you could have gotten to a safer height before making the plunge, perhaps you maneuvered yourself over a roof, or maybe you do have a jetpack and everything’s going to be ok. So what now? You lost your Banshee and you’re still alive. You’re down, but not out! You have a shot at redemption. You’re not stuck spawning. What about the guy who clipped your wings? Did he fail? No, he took you out of the sky, and he’s still in a tank, while you’re stuck with your own two legs. He should get a Medal though, right? Yeah, he should get the Vehicle Destroyed Medal. (Which already exists, believe it or not.) When he gets the Medal he knows he’s succeeded. He can safely tell his teammates ‘Banshees down.’ Both players can feel a sense of satisfaction, and I believe this would add more tension to the game.

I also think vehicle play could benefit from the Scorpion and Wraith being able to take two hits. Example: 1 rocket and 1 tank mortar. Or 1 laser and 1 fuel rod. Or any combination. Shooting the Wraith once with the scorpion and destroying it isn’t the way to go. (IMO) Tank battles are more fun when drawn out.

This is all my own personal opinion of course. If you’re reading this and think this is the worst idea ever, you can be happy to know I don’t work for Bungie. I’ve been thinking about the vehicle play in Reach a lot lately and I just wanted to give my opinion. If anyone likes the idea, please let me know. If a Bungie employee likes it that would be awesome. Right now it sounds good in my head. Maybe in practice it’s a horrible idea. Maybe Bungie already tried it and it sucked. I can’t say for sure. I just wanted to get my thoughts out. Thanks for reading.

Reposted Notes: I posted this before the Beta was over, and while not many people replied, all of the replies seemed to be extremely positive. I thought I'd give this post another chance to catch some more attention.

I agree fully! The new health model for vehicles essentially emulates the GTA vehicle health system, but it only works in GTA because you see you vehicle on fire and know its time to bail out.

GhaleonEB

Church RvB said:

Chris Carney already said in the OXM podcast that vehicles were getting another design pass in response to their behavior in the Beta. And someone posted a while back that someone from Bungie tweeted that they're working on improving the damage indicators for vehicles as well. So I think its safe to say that not only will most GAFers agree, but that Bungie does as well and are working on it.

bobs99 ... said:
I agree fully! The new health model for vehicles essentially emulates the GTA vehicle health system, but it only works in GTA because you see you vehicle on fire and know its time to bail out.

Thanks!

GhaleonEB said:
Chris Carney already said in the OXM podcast that vehicles were getting another design pass in response to their behavior in the Beta. And someone posted a while back that someone from Bungie tweeted that they're working on improving the damage indicators for vehicles as well. So I think its safe to say that not only will most GAFers agree, but that Bungie does as well and are working on it.

Yeah, I saw the post about the Tweet. I'm extremely happy about it.

Although I think you (and perhaps others?) are missing an important part of my post. A Banshee is shot by a Tank Round and the driver doesn't die automatically! This applies to many other vehicle scenarios as well. Many people on GAF complain about how the Laser is too godly.

Another example: A warthog is lasered. The laser directly hits the warthog AND the driver. The driver dies instantly. The Warthog has a 2-3 second window before it blows up allowing the Passenger and Gunner to escape. They are not punished, and the Laser guy is rewarded for precision. (Hitting an occupant AND the vehicle at the same time.)

Again, I obviously don't work for Bungie, so no fear if the majority of fans hate this idea. But like I said, many people responded positively to my original post. I assumed they liked the 2-3 window of opportunity part.

Top Bottom