• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB said:
Fantastic stuff. I love the colors in this game.

Also, I picked up the Evolutions short story collection on a planned impulse buy. So far the first story is pretty good.

Discuss.
OMG!! This is awesome.

Ghal, I thought you said you weren't interested in the expanded fiction anymore?

The best stories, bar none, are "The Mona Lisa" and "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
OMG!! This is awesome.

Ghal, I thought you said you weren't interested in the expanded fiction anymore?

The best stories, bar none, are "The Mona Lisa" and "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole."

I'm in the middle of "The Mona Lisa" right now. I'm definitely enjoying it now but it started really slowly for me. I really like the action intense stories of the book and always enjoy the humor. My current favorites are "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian", "Headhunters", and, "Blunt Instruments" I really like all of them so far.

Dax01 said:
OMG!! This is awesome.

Shh no spoilers please, for some reason the books havent come out here (in the uk) yet. :(
Or maybe I just havent looked, either way ill maaaybe amazon them :p

ManCannon

FourDoor said:
How about this to start some silly discussions:

NBA Jam ran a contest for a user submitted phrase to be included in the game. I know that there was already a contest to include user created emblems but what do you guys think of a contest to find the next big catchphrase for when a medal is earned in Reach?!?!?!

Let me start:

Killing someone flying off the mancannon = "DREAM CRUSHERRRRR!" :lol

Well all the early Invasion announcements in the older builds were performed by Shishka, that's kind of the same, right? :D Sadly we're all done recording dialog so there's no chance for a contest like that.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm in the middle of "The Mona Lisa" right now. I'm definitely enjoying it now but it started really slowly for me. I really like the action intense stories of the book and always enjoy the humor. My current favorites are "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian", "Headhunters", and, "Blunt Instruments" I really like all of them so far.
Mona Lisa was a little too much like Aliens meets the Zerg meets zombies in a not very interesting way. Not my favorite by far.

Finally got my last Vidmaster (Endure) and my Recon.

Jumped back into a game of Team SWAT, and did well right away. I feel better at Halo 3 since playing Reach.

Awesome, it's like Reach made me a better Halo player, despite more than likely being the same or worse :lol :lol :lol

So cool.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
OMG!! This is awesome.

Generally speaking, I'm not. The new novels don't appeal to me at all, and I bought but only got 30 pages into Cole Protocol. However, I enjoy collections of short fiction because of their sampler platter nature: small bites of many things, some of which might be gross, but odds are good some things will also be tasty. Also, I wanted to read the stories by Robt McLees, Eric Nylund and that guy with the Dune fetish.
AwesomeSyrup said:
I keep checking this thread every day for news that jump height has been increased. Still haven't seen it. :(
Both Urk and Sketch have said, in different venues, that they're looking into it. No promises, of course.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
So... now that the beta is over do we just hang about this thread for a few weeks until Dani or Ghaleon makes us a new one? :p
Pretty much. Dani was going to make an E3/pre-launch discussion thread around E3 time, as we'll be on to campaign and whatever else comes up by then. This will probably be an awkward post-Beta news discussion thread until that one, then Dani's will the pre-release discussion until I post the official thread. That'll be about a week before the game comes out.

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty much. Dani was going to make an E3/pre-launch discussion thread around E3 time, as we'll be on to campaign and whatever else comes up by then. This will probably be an awkward post-Beta news discussion thread until that one, then Dani's will the pre-release discussion until I post the official thread. That'll be about a week before the game comes out.
Makes sense I suppose. The new threads oughta break up the wait too.

Anyone fancy customs this weekend? IrishGaf? :p

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
Well all the early Invasion announcements in the older builds were performed by Shishka, that's kind of the same, right? :D Sadly we're all done recording dialog so there's no chance for a contest like that.
r74tqc.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

E3 is just around the corner, next Tuesday is the start of next month. Might be a good idea to keep an eye out for the new thread around that time too.

I'm in a lucky position to make my thread almost entirely news based - with reserved spaces for the E3 features' reveals. Don't think can I top this thread so I aim to better my previous one - kind of feel like I'm cheating when Ghaleon is carrying the weight of the full OT on his shoulders. :lol

Kind of busy spending my time away from Halo at the moment, but I have the E3 thread, a FUD article and Halo 3 calling out to me. Guess my Halo vacation must be brief.

Hey You

I'm guessing the emblems in the beta were a sampling or a not complete list of emblems in the final game.

I was kinda disappointed about the lack of new 'blems we had in the beta. I woulda thought Bungie would have went "over board" with the emblems for Reach.

Striker

Hey You said:
I'm guessing the emblems in the beta were a sampling or a not complete list of emblems in the final game.

I was kinda disappointed about the lack of new 'blems we had in the beta. I woulda thought Bungie would have went "over board" with the emblems for Reach.
I do hope we get a little more. I know some Halo fans here were upset the Grunt emblems were not present. Am also curious if we get the emblems back on our Spartan characters.

Striker

ZayneH said:
Oh, came across this beauty when going through my clips to cut down the number of videos chapel has to wade through. Really hope this gets fixed:

Why can't people die when I shoot them?
Hope what gets fixed, the head hit-box? It's been said multiple times it's been "Fixed for Fall". I believe they said it was lower than it usual for the beta, despite it already being changed (still wasn't in that build). I could pinpoint any Elite/SWAT BS from 3 and that wasn't fixed at all; thankfully there's no room to abuse the gametype with iffy character models.

zumphry

Banned
Striker said:
Hope what gets fixed, the head hit-box? It's been said multiple times it's been "Fixed for Fall". I believe they said it was lower than it usual for the beta, despite it already being changed (still wasn't in that build). I could pinpoint any Elite/SWAT BS from 3 and that wasn't fixed at all; thankfully there's no room to abuse the gametype with iffy character models.

Yeah, I know about those (and the bloom fixes). Basically, I hope that it's fixed for good.

EDIT: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1415948

:lol at what happens with Bagel and after (I think I just "FUUUUUUUUUUU-"ed and started getting headshots on everyone after the 5-7 shots wasted on his back :lol )

Hey You said:

2n8rk93.jpg
Come back to me, oh sweet Nipple-feeder.

EazyB

Banned
Popeck said:
Also, has this been linked yet? Ultimately about fun.
Pretty nifty article. What really surprised me was that there was absolutely no mention of motion capturing. This dude sounded like he was dedicated to more ingame animations so maybe they save motion capturing for just the cutscenes but I assumed they were going to use them for all the human animations (which this guys was in focused on) at least to start with before going in and tuning them up. I've always thought that the in-game animations were fine both visually and functionally in Halo and especially impressive in Halo 3 so it's not a complaint that they aren't using it. Maybe the veteran Halo animators are just so used to doing it by hand they opted to focus on that direction instead.

Anyways, woulda be sweet to have a slow-motion, never-before seen animation in the article as there's been quite the drought of Halo news lately. Hopefully that IGN interview isn't the only thing they plan on doing as far as revealing trends and potential changes made to the game. I want a Bnet article that doesn't have to be mainstream and could go into as many of the small details as possible.
I need a heavy dose of change to get my hype back where it should have been just coming from playing Reach for hours on end.

Ramirez said:
Yes, sort of like that kid that beat us at PAX in that tourney. :lol
I hope those kids experience a slow death at a young age and never find happiness.

/stillbutthurt

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
I need a heavy dose of change to get my hype back where it should have been just coming from playing Reach for hours on end.

Just over two weeks and a half until E3 and the expected explosion of new information. Wouldn't be surprised if all we got was tumble weeds and Urk's usual word feasts until then.

EazyB

Banned
Dani said:
Just over two weeks and a half until E3 and the expected explosion of new information. Wouldn't be surprised if all we got was tumble weeds and Urk's usual word feasts until then.
Ghaleon promised us we'd get info before.

Striker

ZayneH said:
Yeah, I know about those (and the bloom fixes). Basically, I hope that it's fixed for good.

:lol at what happens with Bagel and after (I think I just "FUUUUUUUUUUU-"ed and started getting headshots on everyone after the 5-7 shots wasted on his back :lol )
I didn't mind SWAT, despite the hit-box quandaries. The only issue I think I find with it is how easy the melee kills them. Maybe if they can have it so 2-hits to kill, not sure.

Magni

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks for the link, also its funny, when I see spoiler tags I instinctivly hover over them. :lol I think closer to Reach's release date ill have to bail out of Gaf.

That spoiler wasn't really a spoiler ;-)

I'll be getting Reach 2-3 days late, so I'll bail out from HaloGAF during release week.

Wondering how I'll play first. For Halo 3, I was still in high school, so I played it Heroic co-op three levels at a time with my brother over three mid-week evenings.

For ODST I was in college, and I played it Legendary solo all in one straight on a Saturday afternoon/evening/night.

Probably gonna go do like with ODST, we'll see.

I'm a lot more clumsy in Halo 3 now than I was going into the Beta.

If Reach doesn't pull me in with its multiplayer, I think I'm going to be done with online gaming except for co-op (and maybe Firefight - depends on how robust its features are). Other multiplayer games have come and gone, but I always came back to Halo. There was always Halo.

This is probably a good thing, though, as not having to play any game online means I have an excuse to do other stuff, and focus on college.

ZayneH said:
Oh, came across this beauty when going through my clips to cut down the number of videos chapel has to wade through. Really hope this gets fixed:

First shot hits the shoulder, second shot hits the arm, third shot hits the wall, fourth shot also hits the wall, fifth shot seems to hit the arm again (blood comes out), sixth shot (questionably) hits the head.

Apart from the fact that you had three body shots with no death (probably latency's fault), you were lucky to get the headshot, not unlucky not to.

If you want to point out issues, use better clips?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dax01 said:
I'm a lot more clumsy in Halo 3 now than I was going into the Beta.

If Reach doesn't pull me in with its multiplayer, I think I'm going to be done with online gaming except for co-op (and maybe Firefight - depends on how robust its features are). Other multiplayer games have come and gone, but I always came back to Halo. There was always Halo.

This is probably a good thing, though, as not having to play any game online means I have an excuse to do other stuff, and focus on college.

Or you'll be playing Halo Reach...

:D

Shake Appeal said:
First shot hits the shoulder, second shot hits the arm, third shot hits the wall, fourth shot also hits the wall, fifth shot seems to hit the arm again (blood comes out), sixth shot (questionably) hits the head.

Apart from the fact that you had three body shots with no death (probably latency's fault), you were lucky to get the headshot, not unlucky not to.

If you want to point out issues, use better clips?

Body health was turned up in swat, it took 5-6 body shots in swat to get a kill with the DMR.

Lazslo

Darkflight said:
I can see it now, random shots of Chapel dragging people around on his horse spliced in :lol
:lol Then some mysterious writer with a flashlight emerges in some clips also.

big ander

ZayneH said:

Also: LOL
ZayneH said:

My favorite part about the Beta was Swat, no doubt.
MagniHarvald said:
That spoiler wasn't really a spoiler ;-)

I'll be getting Reach 2-3 days late, so I'll bail out from HaloGAF during release week.

Wondering how I'll play first. For Halo 3, I was still in high school, so I played it Heroic co-op three levels at a time with my brother over three mid-week evenings.

For ODST I was in college, and I played it Legendary solo all in one straight on a Saturday afternoon/evening/night.

Probably gonna go do like with ODST, we'll see.
I try to make my first run through Heroic-solo, always. Man, I cannot wait for this campaign.

GhaleonEB

big ander said:
I try to make my first run through Heroic-solo, always. Man, I cannot wait for this campaign.
I do my usual: slow and steady with a solo Heroic play through, then harder romp on Legendary. Then I'll avail myself to the delights of co-op, MP and Firefight.

Pappasman

big ander said:
I'll probably do my first run through on heroic solo as well. I hope there are some cool campaign skulls.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I did my first run of Halo 3 4 player LAN Co-Op. It was pretty fucking awesome. I may do it again but over Live for Reach.

I'm a soloist when it comes to campaign. I want it all to myself when I start that bad boy up, and I probably* won't play the other aspects of Reach until I've had my first runthrough. I do hope the campaign is more challenging than ODST was. It felt way too easy, even on Legendary.

big ander

squidhands said:
I'm a soloist when it comes to campaign. I want it all to myself when I start that bad boy up, and I probably* won't play the other aspects of Reach until I've had my first runthrough. I do hope the campaign is more challenging than ODST was. It felt way too easy, even on Legendary.
I won't play competitive multiplayer until I've done my first playthrough. But if there's some awesome stuff like Firefight or even a new feature, I might take a break.

big ander said:
I won't play competitive multiplayer until I've done my first playthrough. But if there's some awesome stuff like Firefight or even a new feature, I might take a break.
Yeah I think I'm more excited for this campaign than any other Halo campaign. The wait is too much. :(

Top Bottom