• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

Church RvB said:
Thanks!

Yeah, I saw the post about the Tweet. I'm extremely happy about it.

Although I think you (and perhaps others?) are missing an important part of my post.
No, I get that. Personally, I could write a lot about issues such as that as well. In my Beta wrap-up impressions, I started out by listing the (huge) number of things Bungie has already said they're working on or tweaking in response to the Beta. So I put my energy into talking about areas I hadn't seen specifically mentioned yet. They said they're looking at vehicle health, so I decided to focus my energy elsewhere; they're on it. I'll write about them after I get to play with the results. It's just my approach to Beta feedback, that's all.

Incidentally, looking back at my post-Beta remarks, nearly every item I mentioned is getting looked at, one way or the other. I suspect many things won't end up the way I'd prefer, but I'm content to wait until the results are in to comment further. But just the fact that they're looking at so many areas has me hopeful that the final game will be a somewhat different beast. Bungie clearly got the feedback they wanted out the Beta and are now working on incorporating it into the game.

Church RvB said:
Thanks!

Yeah, I saw the post about the Tweet. I'm extremely happy about it.

Although I think you (and perhaps others?) are missing an important part of my post. A Banshee is shot by a Tank Round and the driver doesn't die automatically! This applies to many other vehicle scenarios as well. Many people on GAF complain about how the Laser is too godly.

Another example: A warthog is lasered. The laser directly hits the warthog AND the driver. The driver dies instantly. The Warthog has a 2-3 second window before it blows up allowing the Passenger and Gunner to escape. They are not punished, and the Laser guy is rewarded for precision. (Hitting an occupant AND the vehicle at the same time.)

Again, I obviously don't work for Bungie, so no fear if the majority of fans hate this idea. But like I said, many people responded positively to my original post. I assumed they liked the 2-3 window of opportunity part.

I dont like the window of opportunity part regarding a Laser or Tank, they should kill straight away. If a tank hits me when im in a Banshee he deserves the kill but if your shot with a DMR you vehicle shouldnt explode, it should probably go on fire which means it will explode in a few seconds.

Its a hard distinction to make, essentially if you see a tank you should avoid it, but if you see a group of Spartans you should attack. You know a tank could kill you in one go, so you either risk it or you just stay alive, Spartans shouldnt be able to kill you in one go though (unless they have a rare power weapon).

GhaleonEB said:
No, I get that. Personally, I could write a lot about issues such as that as well. In my Beta wrap-up impressions, I started out by listing the (huge) number of things Bungie has already said they're working on or tweaking in response to the Beta. So I put my energy into talking about areas I hadn't seen specifically mentioned yet. They said they're looking at vehicle health, so I decided to focus my energy elsewhere; they're on it. I'll write about them after I get to play with the results. It's my my approach to Beta feedback, that's all. I agree with most of what you wrote.

Incidentally, looking back at my post-Beta remarks, nearly every item I mentioned is getting looked at, one way or the other. I suspect many things won't end up the way I'd prefer, but I'm content to wait until the results are in to comment further. Bungie clearly got the feedback they wanted out the Beta and are now working on incorporating it into the game.

I wrote a Beta wrap up myself, but never posted it. I decided to post the Vehicle Balance section of it. And I think that's because the vehicles in Halo are very important to me. I have faith in Bungie though. I just wanted to get an idea out to the community. Either way, Bungie IS looking into vehicles and that is what is important.

bobs99 ... said:
I dont like the window of opportunity part regarding a Laser or Tank, they should kill straight away. If a tank hits me when im in a Banshee he deserves the kill but if your shot with a DMR you vehicle shouldnt explode, it should probably go on fire which means it will explode in a few seconds.

Its a hard distinction to make, essentially if you see a tank you should avoid it, but if you see a group of Spartans you should attack. You know a tank could kill you in one go, so you either risk it or you just stay alive, Spartans shouldnt be able to kill you in one go though (unless they have a rare power weapon).

Fair enough. I feel like the Tank doesn't necessarily deserve the kill, but he does deserve to destroy my Banshee. Everyone has an opinion. I can respect yours. Mine is a bit of wishful thinking anyway. :p

bobs99 ... said:

I agree here with Bobs -

Power weapons/power vehicles should blow the vehicle in question up after the needed amount of hits (2 rockets, 1 laser, 1 tank blast, etc). As a rule, anything that explodes, should therefore make the vehicle explode as well.

Normal weapons should start the vehicle on fire as a visual indicator that crap is about to hit the fan and the player should eject immediately.

The problem with your idea is things like tank blasts and a Galilean Laser are very powerful weapons of war that can destroy most things in a single blow. If they only make something catch on fire, it's not only dissatisfying for a player using this tool, it doesn't make much sense in-game either.

Major Williams said:
I agree here with Bobs -

Power weapons/power vehicles should blow the vehicle in question up after the needed amount of hits (2 rockets, 1 laser, 1 tank blast, etc). As a rule, anything that explodes, should therefore make the vehicle explode as well.

Normal weapons should start the vehicle on fire as a visual indicator that crap is about to hit the fan and the player should eject immediately.

The problem with your idea is things like tank blasts and a Galilean Laser are very powerful weapons of war that can destroy most things in a single blow. If they only make something catch on fire, it's not only dissatisfying for a player using this tool, it doesn't make much sense in-game either.

Well, I can see where you're coming from. But for me personally, killing the Wraith with one tank round was not satisfying. It felt cheap. As for the Banshee scenario, giving the Tank guy a Medal can satisfy him. Or at least it would satisfy me. My goal was to take out the Banshee, I succeeded. But again, this is all opinion. I respect yours, and see where you're coming from. Jumping over to the Laser, I just notice that a lot of people complain about it. I figured rewarding precision would be a good thing.

I did not enjoy the Wraith at all... Where has the mortar gone? The arc of the projectile is really not that apparent anymore and from what I felt it was as if the splash damage was reduced....

Hydranockz said:
I did not enjoy the Wraith at all... Where has the mortar gone? The arc of the projectile is really not that apparent anymore and from what I felt it was as if the splash damage was reduced....

=(

I used to love the crazy arc of the Wraith and Fuel Rod, especially in Halo 1, I think in Halo 2 the Hunters 'Fuel Rod' type guns turned into those lazer thingys? I can live with the Fuel Rod Cannon changing (we never really see it anyway), but I really miss those Wraiths and Hunters.

It would be awesome if you could filter and search your games, if you know the guys gamertag it would be cool if you could find shared games. I think you can already filter by map and gametype? So it wouldnt be that bad, to find out the results of that game.

I would love it if I could click on a rare medal and see a list of the games I earned that medal, but then again I think it would be a LOT of effort to track to this level, and at the end of the day not many people would take advantage of it.

Trasher said:
I don't want to sift through 400 games. :lol
You can sift down pretty quickly with the Reach stats (which I love). Gametype, map...it whittles down pretty quick.

Didn't watch the video (still at work), what map was it on? Was it Arena?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Church RvB said:
Vehicle Balance: Reposted

i like these ideas. i'd add that destroying the vehicle to the point where it WILL explode should also drain the drivers/passengers shields. this way, they are at a disadvantage after bailing and are more likely to be killed, either by the guy who dealt the vehicle damage, or by someone else (with the destroyer getting at the very least an assist)

bobs99 ... said:
It would be awesome if you could filter and search your games, if you know the guys gamertag it would be cool if you could find shared games. I think you can already filter by map and gametype? So it wouldnt be that bad, to find out the results of that game.

I would love it if I could click on a rare medal and see a list of the games I earned that medal, but then again I think it would be a LOT of effort to track to this level, and at the end of the day not many people would take advantage of it.

Supposedly B.net is getting a full featured API this time around, so if it's not on B.net I'm sure it will get built. :D

bobs99 ... said:

It already tracks which medals you earn in each game, so doing the opposite should be trivial from a database perspective.

Gui_PT

urk said:
Reticle Bloom is the best thing to ever happen to Halo and EazyB is a dick. Discuss.

29dv03c.jpg

FourDoor said:
Sift through the 400games TJs! Your Onyx reputation rests on it! LOL :lol
I am trying but it isn't working out well. Seems like it will only let you go for so long going game to game then it stops you. It is also possible that i am doing it wrong somehow.

Edit: I am pretty sure it wasn't in arena.

FourDoor

ManCannon said:
I miss 8 to 12 pages a day of discussion. :(

How about this to start some silly discussions:

NBA Jam ran a contest for a user submitted phrase to be included in the game. I know that there was already a contest to include user created emblems but what do you guys think of a contest to find the next big catchphrase for when a medal is earned in Reach?!?!?!

Let me start:

Killing someone flying off the mancannon = "DREAM CRUSHERRRRR!" :lol

feel

ManCannon said:
I miss 8 to 12 pages a day of discussion. :(
We're resting our typing fingers for E3. And you better make sure there's lots of Reach related awesome to type about. ;)

urk said:
Reticle Bloom is the best thing to ever happen to Halo and EazyB is a dick. Discuss.
50% agreed.

FourDoor said:
How about this to start some silly discussions:

NBA Jam ran a contest for a user submitted phrase to be included in the game. I know that there was already a contest to include user created emblems but what do you guys think of a contest to find the next big catchphrase for when a medal is earned in Reach?!?!?!

Let me start:

Killing someone flying off the mancannon = "DREAM CRUSHERRRRR!" :lol

Dream Crusher is already in the game for some kind of hammer spree :lol

FourDoor

electricpirate said:
Dream Crusher is already in the game for some kind of hammer spree :lol

DOH! Goes to show that I don't use the hammer much at all in the game. :lol

We need a new "Steak Dinner" medal/phrase in the game!

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I agree with enough of this post that I won't argue.

Popeck said:
Uploaded some of my pictures to Flickr:

4643132186_08dd628ed1.jpg

4643168436_09976064cd.jpg

4643132234_70fe3ca7a9.jpg

More through here, if you're interested.
Fantastic stuff. I love the colors in this game.

Also, I picked up the Evolutions short story collection on a planned impulse buy. So far the first story is pretty good.

Discuss.

Popeck

GhaleonEB said:
Fantastic stuff. I love the colors in this game.

Also, I picked up the Evolutions short story collection on a planned impulse buy. So far the first story is pretty good.

Discuss.

Thanks. Evolutions is a good read. Some of the stories aren't that great but the awesome ones balance things out nicely. Mona Lisa and The Life and Death of Preston Cole... dude!

Also, has this been linked yet? Ultimately about fun.

Popeck said:
Thanks. Evolutions is a good read. Some of the stories aren't that great but the awesome ones balance things out nicely. Mona Lisa and The Life and Death of Prescon Cole... dude!

Also, has this been linked yet? Ultimately about fun.

100% agreed. there are some other good stories too. I enjoyed Frnkies and the Cortana one (forgotten the name)

Wizman23

Banned
So what are we at 111 days till launch? That's nothing and will be here in no time. For those going through Reach withdrawals I highly suggest both Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. I play a shit ton of games and those 2 easily are my top 2 of 2010 so far. I figure with those 2 games, E3 next month, and Crackdown 2 in July the wait till Reach will be a breeze. Not only that but considering the scope and epicness of Reach as a whole we have barely seen anything from it yet. I just hope Bungie tones it down a little in regards to campaign previews unlike what happened with Halo 3. I have said this time and time again but WAY too much was shown from the Halo 3 campaign in the Summer of 07. If anything is shown from the campaign at E3 or other various gaming conventions before 9/14 I hope it is all tied to the first level that we have been seeing since January.

Wizman23 said:
So what are we at 111 days till launch? That's nothing and will be here in no time. For those going through Reach withdrawals I highly suggest both Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. I play a shit ton of games and those 2 easily are my top 2 of 2010 so far. I figure with those 2 games, E3 next month, and Crackdown 2 in July the wait till Reach will be a breeze. Not only that but considering the scope and epicness of Reach as a whole we have barely seen anything from it yet. I just hope Bungie tones it down a little in regards to campaign previews unlike what happened with Halo 3. I have said this time and time again but WAY too much was shown from the Halo 3 campaign in the Summer of 07. If anything is shown from the campaign at E3 or other various gaming conventions before 9/14 I hope it is all tied to the first level that we have been seeing since January.

I was still lurking at that time, and I still remember the "Bungie needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3" post and the shitstorm in brought on.

Popeck

Gui_PT said:
Don't click on that link. Chrome detected a threat.

Also, yes, it's old.

My virus defense gave an alert too. Strange, considering that that's the official FTP of Microsoft's PR company, Edelman.

Sai-kun

Banned
I liked the article about the animation stuff. Sounds awesome. :) At the bottom, with related top news though, I found an update from July 18, 2008. :lol Almost two years ago! I like what Luke says at the end:

Despite whatever eased into the ether regarding what we’re working on at Bungie, speculative hunches and guesswork certainly don’t tell the full tale. I’d go so far as to say these ramblings are barely even a Prologue, not even a Foreword to the storybook we’re putting together. Rest assured, there are multiple machinations afoot at Bungie, one is so close you can feel its familiar warmth on your cheek while you sleep; another so far off and foreign that like a faint star in deep space, you can only look to the heavens as its light speeds ever closer.

Lo, there is still another.

:D This was before ODST was even officially announced!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You guys should have been in my stream just now, I was playing guitar and singing to my viewers lol. One of the songs may or may not have been the Halo theme. :lol

Also Gunshot's a pretty well known Halo player. Semi pro or something. There's nothing to be ashamed about, he's legit.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
You guys should have been in my stream just now, I was playing guitar and singing to my viewers lol. One of the songs may or may not have been the Halo theme. :lol

Also Gunshot's a pretty well known Halo player. Semi pro or something. There's nothing to be ashamed about, he's legit.
Isn't that Batman (BaT MaaYnE) kid legit too? :(

Top Bottom