• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

chapel

Banned
Customs were fun guys. Glad to be there. What about next sat? I know some of you will be playing the beta right?

My goal would be to hit 45, maybe even 50. I am at 41 now, bah it can be hard sometimes.

Diablohead said:
Noscopes are already OP and you want it even easier? :lol

I was thinking more with the DMR or Needle Rifle, but honestly I dont think rolling would make no scopes easier to perform. Either way a no scope after a roll will be super awesome. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
chapel said:
My goal would be to hit 45, maybe even 50. I am at 41 now, bah it can be hard sometimes.

I'd love to get above 35, I've been held back my randoms for too long and I can't stand Lone Wolves (where I got my highest rank) any more.

Would love to try to push my Halo 3 rank up before Reach, or even the beta, hits.

bobs99 ... said:
I was thinking more with the DMR or Needle Rifle, but honestly I dont think rolling would make no scopes easier to perform. Either way a no scope after a roll will be super awesome. :D
I can't wait to see some replays from awesome reach action when the beta is active, mmm.

To celebrate halo reach beta coming up I decided to fish through my large box of old and unused gaming gear to find my original xbox copy of halo 1, I lost the box and manual long ago but I still have the dvd, I am quite amazed I still have it personally as I use to trade so much stuff in years ago towards new games.

Even after playing a fair bit of Halo 2 pc lately I still feel the original looks better on the xbox, it doesn't feel so flat with the lighting.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
I'm also wondering how the Beta is going to handle quitters. It's the last great mystery.

Yeah, we've had no information about this at all

Bungie has been making awesome changes, I really hope the deal with quitters the way they're dealing with everything else

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
I was trying to find this a few months back, thanks for digging it up.
I found it linked in my old Halo 3 Beta thread. I knew that thing would come in handy some day.

From the Valhalla write up:

Grab a vehicle or launch from Forerunner gravity chutes at either opposing tower.
"Forerunner gravity chute"? Man cannon is way better. :lol

Magni

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks for the customs tonight, guys.

Next week or a few days after I think it will be hard to go back to Halo 3. I remember after the Halo 3 Beta, I had a really hard time going back to Halo 2.

You splattered me a couple times last night, but I remember well this splatter because on my end of the pond, it wasn't a splatter at all :lol

sorcw1.jpg

Brainboy

Shake Appeal said:
This is the thing I'm most excited about, though I likely won't understand it.

I'm very interested in it, too. I think I might even try to convert some logged Halo 3 games into an Arena ranking. Even if the B.net stats don't give me all the information I need, it might give us an insight into the formula.

Oozer3993 said:
So I've been toying with an Arena rating formula for CTF for a little while and today finally got around to coding something up to test it out. This is what I came up with:

Code:
slayerd = ((kills - flagKills) + assists + 1.3 * flagKills)/(.5 * (deaths + 2 * betrayals) + .1);
slayer = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(slayerd)) * 7);

// Second, it calculates the flag portion, which maxes out at 1370.

flagd = (Math.abs((flagCaps - betrayals) + (0.7 * flagSteals) + (0.3 * flagCarrierKills) + (0.5 * flagTouches)))/((0.3 * betrayals) + .01);
flag = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(flagd)) * 15.2222);

// Adjust for instances where the players team won, but the player focused more on slaying.
// The player would have still helped his team win, so his rating is given a slight bump,
// proportional to the margin of victory.

if (teamCaps > opCaps && flag < 1100)
{
	slayer = slayer + ((teamCaps - opCaps) * 70);
}

// Finally, add them up.

rating = (int) (slayer + flag);

Some insight into just what-in-the-Sam-hell I was thinking:

• Flag caps need to have a heavy weighting, but there needs to be a penalty should some one try to exploit that and betray their team mate to score the flag.
  • Just going around slaying won't directly help your team capture a flag, but having members of the other team dead a lot does help. So if a player's team wins, but he didn't directly contribute to the flag captures or the defense of the flag, but he did a good job killing the other team, he'll be given a boost to reflect this.
  • "Math.atan" is the arctan AKA the inverse tangent and its addition is, as you may have guessed, a nod to the podcast. It intrigued me and I started thinking about why the Arena rating would include it. My educated guess was that it can be used as a kind of ceiling function which would give the rating a hard maximum. It reaches a maximum of 90 (if using degrees) or pi/2 if using radians (I used degrees cause the number's bigger lol). Inside the arctan I used a fraction with good stuff on top and bad stuff on the bottom so that the arctan would be big when the good stuff outweighed the bad stuff.
  • The maximum of the formula is 2000, which, I think, is the max of the normal Arena rating.
  • This was coded up in Java, just in case you were wondering.

P.S. Sorry about bailing on customs tonight. I got disconnected from the game and then my sister took over the room.

The one weakness I can see is in flag touches - even though juggling may not work, it still seems possible to continuously pick up and drop the flag to max out rating.

I guess maybe a solution would be to make it a max of one touch per person per cap, which would probably then make it a game of passing the flag around to everyone on the team before capping.

Actually I suppose that wouldn't be the worst thing ever - perhaps make it so that actually capping isn't worth very much, but having many teammates touch the flag would make each touch more valuable for everyone?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
One thing I noticed from ODST and also noticed when trying to modify my Live profile.

In ODST, when the Service Tag increased from three characters to four (similar to Reach), I tried entering my name, DANI, but it refused to accept it. Same thing happened when I try to enter it on my profile - I usually have to resort to spacing letters or or whatever to get it in. Is there any particular reason for this?

Is my name universally banned, is there anti-Dani stance on Live? :lol

Most likely I think my name may contain a slang term or word, at least partially, which is inappropriate or offensive in a non-English language.

In ODST I reverted to using SLTY - but more often than not that looks worse. I'd rather not be known as Slutty over the next few years during matches. :lol

Dani said:
One thing I noticed from ODST and also noticed when trying to modify my Live profile.

In ODST, when the Service Tag increased from three characters to four (similar to Reach), I tried entering my name, DANI, but it refused to accept it. Same thing happened when I try to enter it on my profile - I usually have to resort to spacing letters or or whatever to get it in. Is there any particular reason for this?

Most likely I think my name may contain a slang term or word, at least partially, which is inappropriate or offensive in a non-English language.

In ODST I reverted to using SLTY - but more often than not that looks worse. I'd rather not be known as Slutty over the next few years during matches. :lol

You could use LIVE. No idea why Dani is blacklisted though :lol

Dani said:

Maybe try Dan1, or use the L instead of the I, they look the same on live I think. I guess Microsoft just dont like you :lol

Im going to probably use bobs as my callsign, I kind of liked the 1 letter 2 numbers thing more though. No doubt this will just lead to a range of identical stupid callsigns, I wonder how many w33d users I will come across every game. In ODST it wasnt so bad, because you knew who you were playing with, but on Reach its just going to ruin the system a little.

Dani said:

What about "Dany"?

kamikazemartian said:
The one weakness I can see is in flag touches - even though juggling may not work, it still seems possible to continuously pick up and drop the flag to max out rating.

I guess maybe a solution would be to make it a max of one touch per person per cap, which would probably then make it a game of passing the flag around to everyone on the team before capping.

Actually I suppose that wouldn't be the worst thing ever - perhaps make it so that actually capping isn't worth very much, but having many teammates touch the flag would make each touch more valuable for everyone?

Kind of like this - everyone on the team is involved.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just did some testing. It accepted "Dan", "Ani", "Daniel". I tried multiple combinations and letters/numbers too. Looks like my name is banned as a whole, not because it contains anything. Guess there is a specific "Dani" bias. :lol

Dani
Your name contains a word or phrase that isn't allowed. Please try again.

D a n i

D4N1

Ani

Fine (WTF? - I though might have been the issue. =\)

Daniel
Fine

Dany
Fine

Dana
Fine

Wiggum2007

Seeing as I can no longer get my Headlong fix now that Halo 2 is axed, I demand I remake of it in Reach. Don't let me down Bungie!!

In all seriousness though, I think the addition of fall damage would add a cool new dynamic to an already classic map.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dani said:
Just did some testing. It accepted "Dan", "Ani", "Daniel". I tried multiple combinations and letters/numbers too. Looks like my name is banned as a whole, not because it contains anything. Guess there is a specific "Dani" bias. :lol

Here's my guess as to why:

"Da N-word"

I had the same issue trying to enter the term "Spice" presumably because of the offensive term "spic"

It's annoying, but racist kids made it annoying, not XBL policies.

Magni

Wiggum2007 said:
Seeing as I can no longer get my Headlong fix now that Halo 2 is axed, I demand I remake of it in Reach. Don't let me down Bungie!!

In all seriousness though, I think the addition of fall damage would add a cool new dynamic to an already classic map.

Get Halo 2 Vista!

MS should push H2V a bit IMO. I mean, much more people have Vista/7 then three years ago, it's the only way to play Halo 2 on Live now, it's even got achievements :lol, why wouldn't people buy it?

Speaking of which, why are Halo Wars achievements tracked by Waypoint, but not Halo 2 Vista achievements?

On the subject of offensive tags, has it been confirmed that we can use all the letters and numbers to make any four-character service tag in Reach?

Because I want "SHKE".

Kibbles

Dani said:

Yeah my friend Eric couldn't put his name in either, I have no idea why.

Dirtbag

Shake Appeal said:
On the subject of offensive tags, has it been confirmed that we can use all the letters and numbers to make any four-character service tag in Reach?

Because I want "SHKE".

"DIRT"

Sweet

zumphry

Banned
SpudBud said:
"End of xbox live" video from Giant Bomb is up on Halo Waypoint.

Really wish they'd have everything they have on the 360 "version" of Waypoint on the Waypoint website.

(I'm a lazy bastard and sometimes I can't be bothered to turn on my Xbox :lol )

Doodis said:
Secret fetish revealed?
Secret Dune fetish was never a secret

Biography:
Ho, ho, ho. The Spice must Flow!
Interests:
Sandtrout raising, spice mining, Galactic insurrection, prescience.
God Emperor

NJ Shlice

Speaking of names. When i changed my gamer tag from NJ x Falk0r to NJ Shlice xbox live wouldn't let me use any form of Falk0r in my motto now. Very strange.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:
Here's my guess as to why:
"Da N-word"
I had the same issue trying to enter the term "Spice" presumably because of the offensive term "spic"
It's annoying, but racist kids made it annoying, not XBL policies.

I'll reclaim my name from those racists one day.
smiley-angry007.gif

electricpirate said:
Speaking of Frankie's taste in books I just picked up "a game of thrones" based on his thread in the ot forum. You better not have led me astray. ;)

He hasn't. He isn't responsible either for your emotional state when you catch up and read the final published book. :D

feel

electricpirate said:
Speaking of Frankie's taste in books I just picked up "a game of thrones" based on his thread in the ot forum. You better not have led me astray. ;)
I watched Oldboy for the first time after wondering what the hell his new avatar was all about, and now it's one of my favorite movies ever. :lol

vhfive

electricpirate said:
That series is so fucking good. I'm not even a fantasy book fan and I love that series.

Also I will be trying to get my gold bars back before Reach this fall, that is my goal.

SpudBud

Letters said:
I watched Oldboy for the first time after wondering what the hell his new avatar was all about, and now it's one of my favorite movies ever. :lol
If you liked Oldboy you should check out Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Top Bottom