• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Not a Jellyfish said:
I shall use "PUFF" for mine. Easy to say and I can't fit anything close to my GT. :/

Are you sure you want to do that will all the homophobia that goes on online? You just really want to really piss off all the internet nazi's dont you? :lol

I doubt you will be able to use it for that reason to be fair.

I really want the system to make people use FISH for theyre first 10 games online, just so I can feel like Tbag from Prison Break.

I never used the 4 letter system since halo 3 was only three letters and numbers, so i'll have to go with TBAG or NGAF if they work :lol

Magni

Shake Appeal said:
Man, I love French.

I would definitely be more interested in Headhunter if it was called Chasseur de Têtes.

Also, instead of respawning you "reappear", basically.

Maybe if you're not a native French speaker. I dunno Chasseur de têtes, Vous avez pris des crânes. and Choisir paquetage all sound stupid to me. Then again, I can't stand non-French translated to French (courriel instead of email, JDRMM Meuporg :lol instead of MMORPG).

Most French people use the original English names instead of the "Frenchified" ones. Halo games have been pretty solid in translation IMO, but everyone around me still says 'CTF' instead of 'CDD' and 'Ball' instead of 'Crâne.'

Glad I've bought an EN version, I'm done with French in my non-French videogames :lol

edit: Probably gonna roll with MGNI.

Toddler

TODD
thumbsup.gif

I use D87 in H3 (cannot for the life of me remember why) and DARK in ODST - I think I'll change it to STAR if I can as my tag is Starlit.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Zeouterlimits said:
A french Halo related "leak"?!?

I AM SHOCKED.

No leak, he complied fully with the disclosure contract. Well, he thinks he has, so that good enough for him.

FourDoor said:
Halo Reach French leak imminent
again
. :lol

Nah, just someone that went to the French Reach press event. He did stick up loads more images on his Facebook earlier than he should have but he's removed them since.

Pity, he took some more pictures of RACE/mongoose action and they've disappeared too.

Dani said:
No leak, he complied fully with the disclosure contract. Well, he thinks he has, so that good enough for him.
Well that is why I put the quotation marks in this instance. Just lulz'ing at Halo and its unique relationship with France.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone interested in the melee system might want to read this. Same guy that used the word "jizz" in the other quote, so take his English with a pinch of salt.

Again, this might be old news.

For beatdown, there is a new system. You see, in Halo 3, you can make sword battle right ? In Reach, you can make beatdown fight, when 2 opponents give a melee at the same time, both take damage, but there is a sort of fight with melee. And in Halo Reach, when someone go on you with a sword, you can cancelled his sword attack if you give a melee at the same time.

Yeah, in fact, camo is not overpowered, you're invisible for 8 secondes, and 75% camo only if you don't move. Your radar is over (opponent too) but you're deaf during you use camo and during 5 secondes after using it. Me too, I was afraid about camo in MM, but it's not as powerfull as the real camo in Halo 3. Don't woory about it.

Jetpack in DMR fighting is pointless, you can't use it when you're in a fight in your head. In midair, you can't straf very quickly.

Dani said:
Anyone interested in the melee system might want to read this. Same guy that used the word "jizz" in the other quote, so take his English with a pinch of salt.

Hey wheres this peice of info from?

I also think that sort of happened in Halo 3 a few times, not sure if its a glitch or not, but ive definetly swatted away sword users. (Or maybe im thinking of Halo 2, I R confused). It wasnt common but it was super awesome. As for there being a melee boxing style system, screw that, no one will finish a boxing match before a dude comes along and steals the kill :lol

P.S. The Jizz thing is even more funny considering he may not have meant it in that way.

zumphry

Banned
Dani said:

This Part:
"And in Halo Reach, when someone go on you with a sword, you can cancelled his sword attack if you give a melee at the same time."

Made me jizz. Would love to see that be a assassination where you grab the guy who has the sword, wrestle him for it, and make himself (or you with his sword) stab himself. Too bad that won't happen since it's from the front.

MagniHarvald said:
Maybe if you're not a native French speaker. I dunno Chasseur de têtes, Vous avez pris des crânes. and Choisir paquetage all sound stupid to me. Then again, I can't stand non-French translated to French (courriel instead of email, JDRMM Meuporg :lol instead of MMORPG).

Most French people use the original English names instead of the "Frenchified" ones. Halo games have been pretty solid in translation IMO, but everyone around me still says 'CTF' instead of 'CDD' and 'Ball' instead of 'Crâne.'

Glad I've bought an EN version, I'm done with French in my non-French videogames :lol
I am not a native French speaker, obviously, I just studied it in school (and then forgot most of it). But while Choisir paquetage definitely sucks as a translation, it still sounds great to a non-French ear. It's soft, has great vowel sounds, makes your mouth work. So many English words are slothful and vulgar by comparison.

The French for "Hunter of Heads" is somehow wistful and composed, and has you pout your lips and tap your tongue against your palate. It's great.

Also, I do like how protective you are of your language. I can see why it might be irksome to a younger generation to use a word like courriel, but it's still admirable.

Killer

Banned
Does anyone knows what time is the beta going live? I hope it doesn't get delayed like the halo 3 beta (which i assume it will).

I can sort of understand how a beatdown battle between two guys swinging guns at each other could be "tied" and both take a little damage (and it would be a cool mechanic), but does it really make any sense that you can block a plasma sword? That shit probably slices through concrete.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
I can sort of understand how a beatdown battle between two guys swinging guns at each other could be "tied" and both take a little damage (and it would be a cool mechanic), but does it really make any sense that you can block a plasma sword? That shit probably slices through concrete.

Yeah, I really don't agree with the fact that you can block a sword attack. Those things were made to slice through enemies.

feel

Shake Appeal said:
furthermore confirming the reach sword is made by hasbro.

No cool way to shorten my gamertag, I'll have to settle for LTRS or something. :/

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
furthermore confirming the reach sword is made by hasbro.

No cool way to shorten my gamertag, I'll have to settle for LTRS or something. :/
ABCD

Magni

bobs99 ... said:
Hey weres this peice of info from?

I also think that sort of happened in Halo 3 a few times, not sure if its a glitch or not, but ive definatly swatted away sword users. (Or maybe im thinking of Halo 2, I R confused). It wasnt common but it was awesome. As for there being a melee boxing style system, screw that, no one will finish a boxing match before a dude comes along and steals the kill :lol

P.S. The Jizz thing is even more funny considering he may not have meant it in that way.

I'm still trying to reverse translate, no sucess, he definitively did not meant 'jizz' (gicler). His English is horrible, reminds me of some of my friends :lol Starting sentences all the time with 'you see', very French :lol

I don't know if it was mentioned, but Digital Foundry had a (pretty boring) "beta footage analysis" today:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-haloreach-beta-analysis-blog-entry

Highlight is probably:

Texture filtering also looks much improved (better than the alpha footage we saw in the first developer diary, in fact, though maybe this is down to the clip selection), and one of the most dramatic improvements is in the motion blur: far more apparent and more realistic. A nice subtle effect is some camera shake when there's an explosion. Also apparent is the inclusion of screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO), though its impact is subtle.

Also some guy telling me that it was "absolutely hilarious" that I thought there would be a tool in-game for capturing footage, "as not only do devs hate beta footage coming out(even in open beta!), but the theater tools are not priority content that would be in the beta, as the beta is there to test multiplayer balance."

But hey, it's Eurogamer.

Dabanton

Dani said:

The consummate selfish ass. It doesn’t matter to him what game type he may be playing, so long as he’s got a solid ratio at the end of the round. This jagoff has no business playing anything other than Deathmatch-oriented games. He insists upon invading the poor folks who are trying to capture the flag, plant bombs, or defend bases.

Stat whores are almost as bad as campers as they share the same traits 'hanging back' when people are trying to capture objectives.

They should have special modes for stat whores though i doubt any objectives would ever be captured and matches would last for 8 hours as everyone would be scared to leave spawn in case they ruin their ratios.

Brainboy

MagniHarvald said:

edit: Probably gonna roll with MGNI.

As a native German, I can't stand videogames in German anymore. I'm not sure if it's the fact that German is my mother tongue, or that I have played far more games in English, but when I see the word "töten" ("kill") in a game, it has a much stronger or more violent meaning to me than the English equivalent.

(I rolled with BBOY in ODST, probably going to stick with that.)

Dabanton said:
They should have special modes for stat whores though i doubt any objectives would ever be captured and matches would last for 8 hours as everyone would be scared to leave spawn in case they ruin their ratios.
In Halo: Reach, they do! It's called The Arena.

Zezboob

MagniHarvald said:
'Ball' instead of 'Crâne.'
Seriously ?
I agree with most of your examples, but I never seen a french speaker using ball instead of crâne.

About this Halo 3 has a crappy adaptation, depending you have a private match or a matchmaking, the names of the maps and modes are translated or not. How silly.

I don't even speak about the solo, some parts aren't even translated :lol

Shake Appeal said:
Also, I do like how protective you are of your language. I can see why it might be irksome to a younger generation to use a word like courriel, but it's still admirable.
Personally I don't think that's being protective is really irksome, the problem is most of the time the French Academy and other institutes are really too slow to react and try to create a new "french" word when a foreign word is established since long ago. It's definitely too late and obviously it looks retarded when you are used to another word.

Lunchbox

Banned
Dabanton said:
Stat whores are almost as bad as campers as they share the same traits 'hanging back' when people are trying to capture objectives.

its called being top of the food chain

you dont see tiger woods carrying his own golf clubs. theres other people to do that. tigers there to hit the hole in one aka the no scope triple kill that allowed you to run free with the flag/ball

Ten-Song

Sai-kun said:
I've tried to think of a four-letter variant but I think I'll just go with "SAI" unless I think of something better :)

Yeah, tried thinking of a four letter variant for myself and couldn't come up with anything. When I was playing ODST, it was only ever co-op or firefight with close friends, so I just used my full name instead. Might just end up doing that with Reach as well.

Oozer3993

I've changed my formula to address the issues brought up by Tashi and KamikazeMartian. Flag touches now have an upper bound for how much they can add to your rating. Kills have now been factored into the flag portion to better account for players who focus on slaying.

Code:
// First it calculates the slayer portion, which maxes out at 630 (before the possible win adjustment).
// The .1 at the end of the slayerd calculation is to keep the denominator from being 0.

slayerd = ((1.3 * (kills - flagKills)) + (0.8 * assists) + 1.5 * flagKills)/(.5 * (deaths + 4 * betrayals) + .1);
slayer = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(slayerd)) * 7);

// Second, it calculates the flag portion, which maxes out at 1370.

flagd = (flagCaps + (0.7 * flagSteals) + (0.3 * flagCarrierKills) + (2 * Math.atan(flagTouches/2)) + (0.1 * (kills/deaths)))/(0.1 * (betrayals / (kills/deaths)) + (0.01 * deaths) + .01);
flag = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(flagd)) * 15.2222);

// Win Adjustment for Slayer:
// Adjust for instances where the players team won, but the player focused more on slaying.
// The player would have still helped his team win, so his rating is given a slight bump,
// proportional to the margin of victory.

if (teamCaps > opCaps && flag < 1100)
{
	slayer = slayer + ((teamCaps - opCaps) * 45);
}

// Finally, add them up.

rating = (int) (slayer + flag);

Tashi0106 said:
That's interesting Oozer. However I think individually scoring a CTF game is an effort in futility. I'm not trying to knock you or anything but in a 4v4 flag there, there are roles on the team. How would you award the guy blocking spawns by standing in 1 spot, throwing grenades in another to block those spawns all while shooting enemies while they spawn? That guy doing all of those things is insanely important. I'm actually really really interested in the Arena formula Bungie has. I'm still a little skeptical even though Luke tells me I shouldn't. I know I'm going to try my hardest to exploit the formula :lol This whole idea of scoring players individually in team games just doesn't sit well with me. We'll see though, I hope I'm wrong.

Oozer, I do however want to wrap an interface around your formula so I can just punch in the numbers and test it out on some 4v4 MLG.

Also, good games to everyone I played with tonight. I had some good fun
destroying all who opposed me :p
Also, I went no scoping on a mongoose again. I got a few headshots, too lazy to clip them out though lol.

Yeah, I wasn't happy with how it handled a player like that. I've tweaked it so that those players are better serviced. Bungie has a bunch of very smart people and if they couldn't come up with a CTF formula, it probably is futile, but it was a fun exercise anyway :D

I'm working on a GUI for it right now, though I know very little of GUIs in Java so it will be kinda wonky lol.

kamikazemartian said:
The one weakness I can see is in flag touches - even though juggling may not work, it still seems possible to continuously pick up and drop the flag to max out rating.

I guess maybe a solution would be to make it a max of one touch per person per cap, which would probably then make it a game of passing the flag around to everyone on the team before capping.

Actually I suppose that wouldn't be the worst thing ever - perhaps make it so that actually capping isn't worth very much, but having many teammates touch the flag would make each touch more valuable for everyone?

You make a good point. The weighting of flag touches has been adjusted accordingly.

Brainboy said:
I'm very interested in it, too. I think I might even try to convert some logged Halo 3 games into an Arena ranking. Even if the B.net stats don't give me all the information I need, it might give us an insight into the formula.

I'm already planning on coding up the Arena formula in Java and releasing the app so people can mess around with it.

Wizpig

I was wondering if Bungie/Microsoft can say - before it comes out - how many GBs is the beta.
If it's more than 2, I can't download it with my current HDD.

Top Bottom