• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Spirit3

Shake Appeal said:
The next week of HaloGAF is going to be messy.

Calender Year: 2010 AD, Week 18, HaloGaf Beta Frigate, Orbit above Fifth Moon of Nerux.

The Commander addressed the crew amidst the horrors that had been unleashed by the Friend and Family invite.
"Say strong regulars, it will not be long before the privates are promoted, like the rest of us, to play the Reach Beta altogether. Soon this chaos will end and we will be able to return experimenting the effects of BR on Noobs and of just how useless the AR really is. We will be strong and not stray from the path, this is our..."
At that moment Lukems walked by the bridge. The Commander went down with the ship, or to be more precise, crashed it in an effort to impress Lukems for an invite.

No one is safe.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
MagniHarvald said:
No credit card? How does the buying work, a code? I can hook you up with some render minutes if that's what it is =)

Hm, I'm sitting at 436 render minutes for the Beta and while I'd like to have 250-300 of those for myself (I remember going through June to September 2007 with low-res YouTube Linkin Park montages...the torture), the rest can be up for grabs to anyone who needs some films rendered during the Beta. :)

So I saw this posted a page back but Halo Waypoint says that giantbomb is doing a quick look type of thing for the reach beta on Tuesday. Also there is gonna be a video interview with Luke. Should be a good week for Halo fans on giant bomb.

Ramirez

EazyB said:
That's racist.

Surely Bungie wouldn't give a racist a F&F code before giving it to a non-racist.

Dylanconfuse.gif

Kapura

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Hm, I'm sitting at 436 render minutes for the Beta and while I'd like to have 250-300 of those for myself (I remember going through June to September 2007 with low-res YouTube Linkin Park montages...the torture), the rest can be up for grabs to anyone who needs some films rendered during the Beta. :)
This looks like it will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My main concern for render minutes is just saving my first Beta game. I think it would interesting, say years down the line, to have a look back at your very first game. All the silly mistakes of running around like a headless chicken admiring the level, the weapons etc and probably getting killed repeatedly as some fancy geometry or sky box detail steals your attention for the first time. :lol

zumphry

Banned
Ugh, really reminding me about having to renew/rebuy Bungie Pro after it ran out some time ago. Good thing I haven't seen that many games I've been interested in for awhile. :lol

MrDaravon

Domino Theory said:

Holy crap, why/how do you have that many render minutes? o_O

Also seriously, is the next week really going to be like this in here?
4s0evt.jpg

It's just few days everybody, it'll be okay. Assuming livestreams are allowed, I'm sure everyone's going to get their Halo fix in over the weekend.

Domino Theory said:

Sweet! Ill probably ask for one to render my very first kill. A full game would be too much, but getting my first kill saved would be
super
awesome.

Loam

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Halo Waypoint content is available online somewhere? It has some really awesome concept art and the motion comics are decent, would love to be able to have it on my PC instead of my crappy TV.

Wren said:
A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Halo Waypoint content is available online somewhere? It has some really awesome concept art and the motion comics are decent, would love to be able to have it on my PC instead of my crappy TV.
Yeah would be nice if they released an app through games for windows live marketplace for Waypoint

SailorDaravon said:
Also seriously, is the next week really going to be like this in here?
4s0evt.jpg
Eh, it's fine until someone throws a little fit about why they haven't got a code. There were examples of it every time Bungie gave away the map packs to community people too.

bobs99 ... said:
Sweet! Ill probably ask for one to render my very first kill. A full game would be too much, but getting my first kill saved would be
super
awesome.

I remember my very first kill in the halo 3 beta. It was on Highground, it was my first time playing and we spawned on the beach. Anyways I was running towards the wall and saw someone up on the lazer ridge and lobbed a Spike grenade up at him. He jumped off and I nailed him right on the head. It was an awesome moment. :lol

Cant wait for the media blowout this week. It will be nice to see gameplay videos.

MrDaravon

Shake Appeal said:
Eh, it's fine until someone throws a little fit about why they haven't got a code. There were examples of it every time Bungie gave away the map packs to community people too.

Yeah, I may just bail for a few days before the F&F hits. I have enough drama happening elsewhere in my life, and a few days later no one will even remember people playing it early anyway.

big ander

Spirit3 said:
Calender Year: 2010 AD, Week 18, HaloGaf Beta Frigate, Orbit above Fifth Moon of Nerux.

The Commander addressed the crew amidst the horrors that had been unleashed by the Friend and Family invite.
"Say strong regulars, it will not be long before the privates are promoted, like the rest of us, to play the Reach Beta altogether. Soon this chaos will end and we will be able to return experimenting the effects of BR on Noobs and of just how useless the AR really is. We will be strong and not stray from the path, this is our..."
At that moment Lukems walked by the bridge. The Commander went down with the ship, or to be more precise, crashed it in an effort to impress Lukems for an invite.

No one is safe.
:lol

Imperial Hot said:
But us plebeians must wait until the 3rd.
smith.gif

He's raining death on you

zumphry

Banned
Shake Appeal said:

I'm playing a bingo game of sorts where I try to correctly guess everyone here that'll get a code. If I get 5, I'm going to treat myself with some popcorn.

I'm currently 1 for 1. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
I'd be
ok, I am
jealous of the Friends and the Family, but I'm sure vhfive will get in, so I may just pay him a visit and force him to let me play split screen. <3

ZayneH said:
I'm playing a bingo game of sorts where I try to correctly guess everyone here that'll get a code. If I get 5, I'm going to treat myself with some popcorn.

:lol
I don't put in the time to deserve an early release code. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Halo, but the amount of time the other guys put in here talking about Halo, shit, they deserve it.

I'll try my hand at grabbing a code from Giant Bomb or something along those lines, but if not I'll see you guys on May 3rd. It's not like anybody's going to get to play Invasion* before me.

*Invasion is going to be the best Halo game mode ever. I love Big Team Battle and objective based gameplay, Invasion must have been made for me personally.

chess

Shake Appeal said:

I had one from H3 beta from the community I used to be part of and it was ugly. If got a random one now, old connections are gone, of course it would be cool. But if not, no biggy. I never really got why people threw fits.

Sai-kun

Banned
ZayneH said:

:lol #feelsgoodman

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
Holy crap, why/how do you have that many render minutes? o_O
Bear in mind he used to buy MS Point cards and give them to HaloGAFers so they could buy the Halo 3 map packs. He's a generous person and likes doing things for the community, because he can and it makes him happy to do so. Would be a better world if there were more folks like him around. :p

EazyB

Banned
12/18 for TS today but my rank didn't give. Thought I'd get it after my 5 game winning streak but the Halo gods said no.

Ten-Song

watership said:
I'm going to hate all you F&F peeps with great hate soon i think. I will come in and seeth and grind my teeth and snarl.

Yeah, well I feel good knowing I bought ODST to get into the beta.
I mean, I bought ODST to play through the campaign... yeah.
I'm a real salt of the earth Halo fan, unlike these F&F elitist show boats.

Hmm, I think I'll have to deal with Bumper Jumper and its lack of armor ability versatility. Don't see myself using the jetpack much, so having it on the bumber is not as important for me. Seems like Bungie is running out of buttons on its current platform, though.

I want to know what the plasma pistol will be like. It doesn't home anymore, but it has some sort of weird splash damage. I wonder if pumping the trigger is more effective?

MrDaravon

GhaleonEB said:
Bear in mind he used to buy MS Point cards and give them to HaloGAFers so they could buy the Halo 3 map packs. He's a generous person and likes doing things for the community, because he can and it makes him happy to do so. Would be a better world if there were more folks like him around. :p

100% agree, he bought me the Legendary (I think?) map pack which got me back into Halo 3 online for a good while, and I paid it forward :D

Still don't know why you would buy that many in advance though. I mean, they don't expire or anything do they?

Natakuu

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm going to be sticking with Bumper Jumper as well. I was considering using the one that switched throw grenades and armor abilities but in hindsight it would be impossible to effectively use grenades on the X button so that's just not a good idea:lol

Ramirez

EazyB said:
12/18 for TS today but my rank didn't give. Thought I'd get it after my 5 game winning streak but the Halo gods said no.

I give lessons any day of the week for 10 bucks a hour, PM if interested.

Stormtrooper30 said:
Hmm, I think I'll have to deal with Bumper Jumper and its lack of armor ability versatility. Don't see myself using the jetpack much, so having it on the bumber is not as important for me. Seems like Bungie is running out of buttons on its current platform, though

Not planning on looking while sprinting either? Want it to be a pain in the ass to look around while holding down that armor lock? Not sure, but you might be able to curve your evade in the same way?

I really hope Bungie adds my "Chompy" control scheme :( It really seems like Bumper Jumper will be hard to use without some modification

zumphry

Banned
chess said:
I had one from H3 beta from the community I used to be part of and it was ugly. If got a random one now, old connections are gone, of course it would be cool. But if not, no biggy. I never really got why people threw fits.

Because people want things that they can't/don't have. Plus, they probably want to rub it in people's faces that they're in the cool kids club. :lol

And 'cuz it's Halo, dude.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB said:

What's your current rank? I know that when I lose my 50 in MLG it's because I've lost like 14/15 games or 18/20. It also takes around that kind of record to get it back. If not, then 20/23 or something like that. You just gotta run in with a solid squad and really buckle down and just win win win for multiple sessions. Or, maybe you're level locked :/

Also about Invasion. I'm actually really excited for Invasion. I'm not much of a Big Team kind of guy, as shown my 50 exp in the Social BTB playlist but Invasion Objective and Invasion Slayer just seem really cool to me. I like the idea of new parts of them map opening up at certain levels. We'll see how the different loadouts effect the gameplay but I totally see myself DMR loadout all day destroying people. I can't wait :D

edit: Also Ten-Song...Hot Fuss avatar?? <3 if so...:p

Toddler

GhaleonEB said:
That's pretty cool.

I used to do that for one of my old LAN buddies, cause his wife would gripe about him spending money on a game he's already bought :lol

Magni

timetokill said:
Not planning on looking while sprinting either? Want it to be a pain in the ass to look around while holding down that armor lock? Not sure, but you might be able to curve your evade in the same way?

I really hope Bungie adds my "Chompy" control scheme :( It really seems like Bumper Jumper will be hard to use without some modification

Chompy and X Humper better make it in, too late for the beta, but for this Fall.. That or Customizable control configs
will never happen

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:

Many thanks. :)

SailorDaravon said:
Still don't know why you would buy that many in advance though. I mean, they don't expire or anything do they?

I'm getting ready. Besides, I'm going to need the 5+ hours of footage to bear the wait from the end of the Beta until Reach's retail release. I'm not dealing with YouTube montages again. :lol

EazyB said:

Why are you even trying? :lol Our TrueSkill ranks are stuck harder than a Snorlax in a Hummer. :p

Domino Theory said:
Many thanks. :)

I'm getting ready. Besides, I'm going to need the 5+ hours of footage to bear the wait from the end of the Beta until Reach's retail release. I'm not dealing with YouTube montages again. :lol

Why are you even trying? :lol Our TrueSkill ranks are stuck harder than a Snorlax in a Hummer. :p

Its never going to happen, but if they could just allow us access to theatre mode only after the beta is done, ill be happy. I guess that comes with its own range of problems and quite frankly isnt a good thing for Bungie to do, but I would LOVE it.

I really, really hope there's some kind of restrictions on people begging to get into the F&F in this thread. It's going to turn into a sad state. It should be treated like code begging would in any other topic.

And it's only a few days early, begging is actually pretty pathetic.

Magni

soldat7 said:
I wonder what they did to improve the Chopper?
Too soon?

EazyB said:

Seems like Domino has you covered Dani, but for myself I'm going Pro for Reach. Haven't been playing enough to justify it for 3/ODST, but seeing how things are shaping up for Reach.. :D

Magni

bobs99 ... said:
Its never going to happen, but if they could just allow us access to theatre mode only after the beta is done, ill be happy. I guess that comes with its own range of problems and quite frankly isnt a good thing for Bungie to do, but I would LOVE it.

The films and the game are on your Hard Drive, so..

edit: meant to edit, not to quote ><

Toddler

FunkyMunkey said:
I really, really hope there's some kind of restrictions on people begging to get into the F&F in this thread. It's going to turn into a sad state. It should be treated like code begging would in any other topic.

And it's only a few days early, begging is actually pretty pathetic.
psyc4dummies.jpg

You're paper thin, Holmes....

Top Bottom