• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Wizpig said:
I was wondering if Bungie/Microsoft can say - before it comes out - how many GBs is the beta.
If it's more than 2, I can't download it with my current HDD.
Save some stuff on to memory sticks man!!!

Proven

Hours ago and pages back I read about people emailing Amazon to get the $60 price. Just want to throw in my lot to say they also decided to honor my $60 Legendary order after a Customer Service email.

Well, at least they said so in email. But price hasn't been reflected in my order. Maybe it's because I'm using a different shipping type? Well, sent another email.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oozer said:
Yeah, I wasn't happy with how it handled a player like that. I've tweaked it so that those players are better serviced. Bungie has a bunch of very smart people and if they couldn't come up with a CTF formula, it probably is futile, but it was a fun exercise anyway :D

I'm working on a GUI for it right now, though I know very little of GUIs in Java so it will be kinda wonky lol.

Yea all I know is a little Swing in Java as far as GUIs are concerned.. I'm sure it wouldn't be that tough to do though. But hey props to you for trying to come up with a formula. I was thinking about coming up with one but I can't know what's being tracked in Reach already. Luke already said that things like how far a flag is carried by a certain player wouldn't be possible to implement at this point in development.

Kapura

Banned
I think that team flag is entirely too complicated to be able to find a formula for. I think that, for instance, you ought to receive a higher rating if you kill somebody who's shooting at your flag runner. But how do you determine this? If it's a sniper who is only able to get off one shot which misses, how does the game know you killed the man who could potentially have killed the flag runner? Additionally, how many non-flag carrier kills are equivalent to a single kill of the flag carrier? Should you be rated higher if you camp the flag for a respawn, or kill the people going for the flag while well outside of that radius?

That's the problem with flag: it's highly based on intuition; knowing who is going to go for what when and stopping it before he gets there.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Diablohead said:
Dear Bungie, do you have a tracking stat for how many times I teabag? if not please add one to our profile page. Thanks.

i would like a stat for how many times I have been teabagged. I don't teabag anyone but it sure does happen to me a lot. :lol

My new GT is iHN Jury, so obviously I'll be going with JURY for my callsign.

And this new melee thing sounds cool. If both players melee at the same time, its like a sword clash right? Hopefully that's what he meant. Idk about the sword clashing with regular weapons though. We'll see how balanced it is. I guess people will mostly be shooting swors carriers. It might bring some strategy to fighting a sword guy. You have to know when to shoot and when to melee.

Not a Jellyfish said:
i would like a stat for how many times I have been teabagged. I don't teabag anyone but it sure does happen to me a lot. :lol
In halo 2 and 3 I use to teabag people who annoy me, either the snipers who camp and run or people who use nothing but the warthog, feels good man.

Kapura

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
if player.crouch && (dist(player, nearestCorpse) < 3){player.rating +=100}
//Every time player crouches over a corpse, rating increases by 100

EazyB

Banned
Woke up with about 4 pages to read and figured some good shit got dropped. Come to find out it's just post after post from people saying what their Reach callsign will be, as if anyone here cares!

EAZY

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Zeouterlimits said:
ZEOS, ZLIM, ZOTR, hmm...

OUTR

BladedExpert said:
Same boat. No idea what to use. I think I went with EXPT in ODST. Kinda lame.

BLDD? BLAD? EXPR? Too hard. Change your name, plz.

Kapura said:

NERD

Gui_PT

Kapura said:

I like how you commented it in case someone didn't understand :lol

But that seems about right

Edit:
Sai-kun said:
Ahahaha yes. I'm using this! :lol thanks, Gui! Awesome idea!

Internethighfive.jpg

Haifaive!!

Oozer3993

Tashi0106 said:
Yea all I know is a little Swing in Java as far as GUIs are concerned.. I'm sure it wouldn't be that tough to do though. But hey props to you for trying to come up with a formula. I was thinking about coming up with one but I can't know what's being tracked in Reach already. Luke already said that things like how far a flag is carried by a certain player wouldn't be possible to implement at this point in development.

I tried to limit myself to only stats that we know are tracked in Halo 3 because I think it's fairly safe to assume they'll be back. Flag touches is the only 1 I added and it's kind of an educated guess that it will be in Reach. Here's the quick and very dirty app:

http://sharebee.com/434086de

I'll probably stick with my ODST call sign in Reach: OOZR.

Gui_PT said:
I like how you commented it in case someone didn't understand :lol

But that seems about right

The was also so I didn't forget what that piece of code was supposed to do. I was pretty tired when I was writing it and kept forgetting what the couple lines I was working on was supposed to do :lol

Kapura said:
I think that team flag is entirely too complicated to be able to find a formula for. I think that, for instance, you ought to receive a higher rating if you kill somebody who's shooting at your flag runner. But how do you determine this? If it's a sniper who is only able to get off one shot which misses, how does the game know you killed the man who could potentially have killed the flag runner? Additionally, how many non-flag carrier kills are equivalent to a single kill of the flag carrier? Should you be rated higher if you camp the flag for a respawn, or kill the people going for the flag while well outside of that radius?

That's the problem with flag: it's highly based on intuition; knowing who is going to go for what when and stopping it before he gets there.

Agreed!

On the plus side, after seeing a pretty incredible attempt here which didnt quite work im a lot happier with flag not being in the arena. Afterall after attempting the formulae you can see how hard it is.

I propose a Turing esque test, Bungie should give 1 million ms points to the first dude who solves it. :lol

P.S. Oozer I may be wrong but Jar files dont run on double click do they? Im guessing most people wont know how to compile Java.

Kapura

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Agreed!

On the plus side, after seeing a pretty incredible attempt here which didnt quite work im a lot happier with flag not being in the arena. Afterall after attempting the formulae you can see how hard it is.

I propose a Turing esque test, Bungie should give 1 million ms points to the first dude who solves it. :lol

P.S. Oozer I may be wrong but Jar files dont run on double click do they? Im guessing most people wont know how to compile Java.
You gotta associate the files with a dev environment. Double clicking should, then, open the file in the editor.

Diablohead said:
In halo 2 and 3 I use to teabag people who annoy me, either the snipers who camp and run or people who use nothing but the warthog, feels good man.
I teabag when I start raging.

You gotta have conviction when you shove your crotch in their face!

GhaleonEB

Kapura said:

And this is why there will never, ever be objectives in The Arena. [/Luke]

(Nor should there be.)

Shishka said:
OUTR

BLDD? BLAD? EXPR? Too hard. Change your name, plz.

NERD

I would go with BLDE

Honestly, having BLAD would be a bad thing, especially if your matched with londoners. Who do you think you are Blud? :lol

Kapura said:
You gotta associate the files with a dev environment. Double clicking should, then, open the file in the editor.

Luckily ive got experience with java so I know how to run it, but it may be best to recompile it as a program which runs outside of a environment so more people can check it out. I think you can just attach a bat file to it (with like 1 line of code) which does the trick, no idea what that code is though anymore, sorry :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ghostmind said:
Woke up to see a reply to my email to Amazon. They are going to honor the $59.99 price for the Legendary edition - good stuff!

I got two emails from them saying they will not, I sent another polite follow up explaining my case, so hopefully they will honor mine too.

I think my name is just too long to come up with a good 4-letter abbreviation or nick-name. "Moon" doesn't really make any sense by itself, and how would you shorten Deputy?

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman said:
I think my name is just too long to come up with a good 4-letter abbreviation or nick-name. "Moon" doesn't really make any sense by itself, and how would you shorten Deputy?

Dpty ?

Kapura

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
DPTY

D'oh, beaten like well-tenderized steak.

luiztfc said:
I remember reading in Giantbomb about some early access codes to the beta. How are we supposed to get them?
Pretty sure they haven't said yet - I imagine maybe a page on the GB site, the URL of which is found in a Reach Quick Look? - like the Blur Beta. Unless they are getting limited numbers in which case I envision some type of random name out of a hat competition.

Magni

Zezboob said:
Seriously ?
I agree with most of your examples, but I never seen a french speaker using ball instead of crâne.

About this Halo 3 has a crappy adaptation, depending you have a private match or a matchmaking, the names of the maps and modes are translated or not. How silly.

I don't even speak about the solo, some parts aren't even translated :lol

Personally I don't think that's being protective is really irksome, the problem is most of the time the French Academy and other institutes are really too slow to react and try to create a new "french" word when a foreign word is established since long ago. It's definitely too late and obviously it looks retarded when you are used to another word.

Well, the other French players I play with are MLG (Halorigine) people, they say 'Ball' much more often the 'Crâne', 'Slayer' more often than 'Assassin', and 'King' more often than 'Colline.' And I've never heard anyone ever use the acronym 'CDD' :lol

As far as the Campaign audio, it sucks, which is why I bought ODST and Reach on GAME/Amazon's UK sites. For the UI, since for Halo games that is dependent on the console's language settings, I didn't have to suffer the atrocious names, but whenever I was watching a buddy's film clip "Assassin sur La Mine" lefuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg :lol :lol

Tashi

Oozer3993 said:
I tried to limit myself to only stats that we know are tracked in Halo 3 because I think it's fairly safe to assume they'll be back. Flag touches is the only 1 I added and it's kind of an educated guess that it will be in Reach. Here's the quick and very dirty app:

http://sharebee.com/434086de

Ok so I just put in some numbers from a shitty MLG CTF Pit win I had yesterday.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1630125459&player=NYSTOFMIND23

I scored a 481 for Slayer
I scored a 1285 for Flag
I scored a 1766 total

However, we run into the problem of shoehorning Halo 3 settings into something totally new for Reach. Halo 3 doesn't track flag touches like you said so I just put 0. Also, flag juggling becomes an issue. Your formula rewards players for Flag Stops as it should but I can stop a flag while it's out of a player's hand because they were juggling it. In Reach we know that flag juggling is out so this won't be much of an issue. I however don't have any Reach game data to throw into that formula.

I just tested it again with a much better game I had of MLG Narrows CTF.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1631657832&player=NYSTOFMIND23

I scored a 552 for Slayer
I scored a 1280 for Flag
I scored a 1832 total

Again, what about the guy watching the flag runner's back while he runs it down low by rockets? That guy doesn't really get kills but he does put shots on players forcing them to go up top.

The CTF formula is a pain in the ass :lol

Tashi0106 said:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1630125459&player=NYSTOFMIND23

I scored a 1285 for Flag
I scored a 1766 total

However, we run into the problem of shoehorning Halo 3 settings into something totally new for Reach. Halo 3 doesn't track flag touches like you said so I just put 0. Also, flag juggling becomes an issue. Your formula rewards players for Flag Stops as it should but I can stop a flag while it's out of a player's hand because they were juggling it. In Reach we know that flag juggling is out so this won't be much of an issue. I however don't have any Reach game data to throw into that formula.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1631657832&player=NYSTOFMIND23

I scored a 1280 for Flag
I scored a 1832 total

Again, what about the guy watching the flag runner's back while he runs it down low by rockets? That guy doesn't really get kills but he does put shots on players forcing them to go up top.

It cant be done, CTF just requires too much selflesness to win. With a arena rating at stake people will play it as a 1 man army. I sort of hope team slayer doesnt become FFA based in nature, why give your 'teammates' a call out when you dont really want them to do better than you? :lol

Magni

Tashi0106 said:

I scored a 1285 for Flag
I scored a 1766 total

I scored a 1280 for Flag
I scored a 1832 total

Yeah I'll be going in the Arena when I want Hardcore Slayer, but for Objectives I'll just go to the MLG playlist (hopefully it'll be up a month after launch).

Will there be FFA in the Arena?

Diablohead said:

I only teabag trashtalkers, that's why I teabagged those guys in the montage (four francophobes..).

Brainboy

Oozer3993 said:
I'm already planning on coding up the Arena formula in Java and releasing the app so people can mess around with it.

Cool, good idea. I'd probably be interested in seeing the code once you're done, as well, if you don't mind. I've just been learning some Java myself. :)

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
It cant be done, CTF just requires too much selflesness to win. With a arena rating at stake people will play it as a 1 man army. I sort of hope team slayer doesnt become FFA based in nature, why give your 'teammates' a call out when you dont really want them to do better than you? :lol

I've been biting my tongue about Arena and I'll continue to until I actually get my hands on it and the formula.

RdN

Hahaha.. hype is getting out of control.. we are even talking about service tags. :lol

I can't remember now from ODST, but can I use a 3 letters tag?

Tashi0106 said:
I've been biting my tongue about Arena and I'll continue to until I actually get my hands on it and the formula.

Ah yeah im not trying to sound like im putting it down, merely speculating. Bungie have done a downright awesome job with Reach so far and I probably should wait till I try it out to mention anything. After all theres no point speculating on potential flaws without having the full picture I guess.

Its true, Reach beta is so super awesome that its worth Frankies weight in gold. (I have almost said 'super awesome' in normal conversation, Bungie are ruining me) :lol

Magni

bobs99 ... said:

Hopefully an assist counts as much as a kill. Or, even better, if Reach has stats like Damage Given, they'd use that instead of Kills and Assists.

If a player has 100 HP (for example), getting twelve kills by yourself should net you as many points as getting sixteen assists while doing 75 damage each time.

It should be better to call out (and only deal say half the damage), and come out alive, rather than having one more death on the scoreboard.

edit: totally off-topic (except maybe phonetically), but I'll post this here before going to bed.

I can go bungee jumping for 20€ through my uni's sport bureau this Saturday. It'll be a 180 foot drop (55 meters). Should I do it? I'm kinda scared, but then again I really want to try :lol If I die I'll miss the beta :lol :lol :lol

Blueblur1

A little over a week left! (Gotta remember to ask for half of Monday off!) :D

As for my call sign, I have a choice: Blue or Blur. Decisions, decisions. :)

luiztfc

Darkflight said:
Pretty sure they haven't said yet - I imagine maybe a page on the GB site, the URL of which is found in a Reach Quick Look? - like the Blur Beta. Unless they are getting limited numbers in which case I envision some type of random name out of a hat competition.

Think I found it:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/halo-reachs-multiplayer-beta-the-important-parts/1965/

We'll also be giving away a batch of early-access Reach beta codes starting next week that will get you in and playing days before the general beta. Keep your eyes open for that!

Blueblur1 said:

BLUE would look odd if you were on a red team :p

I got a sweet week to wait for the beta, since I never played more then 30 minutes of ODST and a bit of firefight at a cousins I have the whole game to play this week, along with all the map packs I missed out on for halo 3.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Blueblur1 said:

I vote for Blue, just sounds better to me. not only can people refer to use as "Blue" but also as "My boy Blue". Just sounds good. :D

Top Bottom