• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Bungieware said:
Guys where's the live action video? It aired at full time on sky sports 2 after the Bayern Lyon game. I didn't see it though because the game was over when it was 1-0 and i stopped watching.

Anyone there?

SailorDaravon said:
That's what I thought. Man, I don't know who wrote the Beta Guide that's up on Bungie.net, but that kind of wrong information really urks me.
2ithq41.jpg

dslgunstar said:
Any gaffers on the F&F list?
It depends.
OuterWorldVoice said:
You're looking at a kind of condensed shorthand of the process, for what that's worth. It's also very important to remember that this is in essence a gentle teaser of the actual campaign. Since it builds to a climax, it has to start somewhere.

Also, Carter is looking at a prototype suit being customized (and researched) for him, not his final SPI armor which he won't get for years.

At no point in the commercial do you see a "full-grown" Carter.

I think as it builds, the Campaign will start to please hardcore fans more and more.
Oh okay. Can't wait.

FrankT

Major Williams said:
Halo 2's was perfect for the time.

Halo 3's was absolutely perfect for the time. The Starry night ad was EPIC, and still is in my eyes.
Some of the Believe ads were... not awesome, but painted a GREAT picture (that the game ultimately never added up to).
Then Blomkamp's live action shorts I thought were an amazing part of the ad campaign that made you appreciate what amounted to 2 minutes in the intro of the game. Great concept IMO.

ODST's live action ad took the cake for me, and was highly appropriate for the time. It out-did all other gaming ads and made you WANT a movie, and WANT the game.

Reach's ad - not so much. Too much for the non-involved, and not even I or other Halo geeks saw the plausibility of some of the details... and I've read GoO AND FoR 3 times! I'm hopeful for an awesome ad campaign, they've done well, and I trust Frankie at the helm, but so far, its unfortunate. I sincerely hope I bite my tongue.

I pretty much agree with everything here up through ODST stuff. As far Reach I'm going to hold judgement on it until it's all said and done.

So there is music in multiplayer after all? Some of the Halo 3 tunes in those videos really set the mood, when it comes to spartans vs elites. Loving it.

Major Williams said:
Halo 2's was perfect for the time.

Halo 3's was absolutely perfect for the time. The Starry night ad was EPIC, and still is in my eyes.
Some of the Believe ads were... not awesome, but painted a GREAT picture (that the game ultimately never added up to).
Then Blomkamp's live action shorts I thought were an amazing part of the ad campaign that made you appreciate what amounted to 2 minutes in the intro of the game. Great concept IMO.

ODST's live action ad took the cake for me, and was highly appropriate for the time. It out-did all other gaming ads and made you WANT a movie, and WANT the game.

Reach's ad - not so much. Too much for the non-involved, and not even I or other Halo geeks saw the plausibility of some of the details... and I've read GoO AND FoR 3 times! I'm hopeful for an awesome ad campaign, they've done well, and I trust Frankie at the helm, but so far, its unfortunate. I sincerely hope I bite my tongue.

Edit: thanks bobs99

Shake Appeal said:
Killer's link above is a lot better.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKHZf_4HTN8)

Cool your jets, Bunglewear.

Sorry I missed that reply, I hit the post button and got distracted, should have gone back to check first I guess :lol

Killers version is SO much better, I didnt get a feel for the music in the off cam version. The content still doesnt quite fill me up but the promise of more does. Watching it again in better quality helps me see the nuances, like the fact he's toying with the datachip before going into the op.

EDIT: Watching it again, the guy kind of reminds me of FPS Doug, if he went crazy when he saw the Spartan armour ("BOOM - Now I can dance all day") I would have been a lot more satisfied Bungle.

JdFoX187

Banned
I must say, I've been a dissenter of Bungie's ever since Halo 3 disappointed me like no other. But everything that I've read about Reach, and the videos I've seen, really seem like it's capturing that feeling again. It's nothing like Halo 2, which is the peak of the series for me, but it seems as it could exceed it in so many different ways. Bravo Bungie, they won me back for another go round.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Hydranockz said:
I like how urk immediately disassociates Bungie from anything other than making games.

ZOMG! Yeah, didn't mean it like that. Did come off a bit douchey. More like, "We can't take any credit for the hard work and creative energy that goes into those spots."

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SailorDaravon said:
Quick question: on the Beta Guide it says it's 3 minutes per phase in Invasion; I thought it was 4?

I was working from Shishka's spreadsheet. Oddly enough all the game variants are listed as DMR start, as well. Hmm, must be an older revision.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hydranockz said:
I like how urk immediately disassociates Bungie from anything other than making games. I sure hope Amazon don't look to honour one of their top models any time soon :p Oh what's this? Now Bungie do fashion too??? haha

What is this, I don't even...

Shishka

Works for Bungie
urk said:
I was working from Shishka's spreadsheet. Oddly enough all the game variants are listed as DMR start, as well. Hmm, must be an older revision.

Today I learned something. Today I learned that it's hard to type when you're UNDER A BUS.

zumphry

Banned
I gotta say, the last scene of the commercial with Carter looking at his prototype armor was excellent. Obviously what they were going for, and it worked.

urk or Shishka, not sure if you missed this or just can't answer it, but which playlists are considered "social" (i.e. which can I bring guests into, or fill with friends)?

urk said:
ZOMG! Yeah, didn't mean it like that. Did come off a bit douchey. More like, "We can't take any credit for the hard work and creative energy that goes into those spots."
Haha, its srious bisnis!
Out of curiosity, who can the credit go to? It wasn't a bad spot as such. Just a tad.. vague for my liking. The production looked top notch though.

JohnIIVII

JohnIIVII said:
Not sure if this has been brought up yet but I just noticed something odd. In one of the Halo Waypoint Beta vids a guy gets a kill by sticking a plasma grenade to the side of a boulder and blowing up a passing Elite. In past Halo games they only stuck to players or vehicles right? Not sure if this was just a glitch or a sign that plasmas are taking on a role much like the Semtex in MW2.
hey urk any chance you could give me some insight on this ^

JdFoX187 said:
I must say, I've been a dissenter of Bungie's ever since Halo 3 disappointed me like no other. But everything that I've read about Reach, and the videos I've seen, really seem like it's capturing that feeling again. It's nothing like Halo 2, which is the peak of the series for me, but it seems as it could exceed it in so many different ways. Bravo Bungie, they won me back for another go round.

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

That said, your avatar is impeccable. :D

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Shake Appeal said:
urk or Shishka, not sure if you missed this or just can't answer it, but which playlists are considered "social" (i.e. which can I bring guests into, or fill with friends)?

Guests are allowed in all the "Standard" category playlists. That is to say, everything but Arena.

dslgunstar said:
I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

That said, your avatar is impeccable. :D

He probably started with H2. (major assumption of course) H2 was my biggest disappointment. I had super huge expectations for it after playing Halo:CE for so long.

Shishka said:
Guests are allowed in all the "Standard" category playlists. That is to say, everything but Arena.
Cool. But is the max. party size for Invasion capped at 6 or at 12? That is, can I bring in 11 friends and effectively have a "custom" Invasion game through matchmaking, or is the maximum amount of friends I can ever have in the same game as me 5?

Toddler

Shake Appeal said:
Cool. But is the max. party size for Invasion capped at 6 or at 12? That is, can I bring in 11 friends and effectively have a "custom" Invasion game through matchmaking, or is the maximum amount of friends I can ever have in the same game as me 5?
I assume you'd be greeted with the "Your party is too big" prompt.

kylej

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
So wait, you're suggesting there is an audience for AR starts? Be consistent, man.

Of course there's an audience for AR starts. That audience shouldn't be catered to in the area "designed to foster ultra competitive matches focused on skill, individual performance, and personal bragging rights". Reading comprehension, man.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Shake Appeal said:

Maximum party size in Invasion is six. Maximum party size in the 4v4 standard hoppers, however, is 8. There are reasons for this that are test related, and this does not necessarily reflect on what the shipping playlist will be like.

Popeck

Shishka said:
Maximum party size in Invasion is six. Maximum party size in the 4v4 standard hoppers, however, is 8. There are reasons for this that are test related, and this does not necessarily reflect on what the shipping playlist will be like.

Six player Firefight matchmaking am confirmed.

kylej said:
Of course there's an audience for AR starts. That audience shouldn't be catered to in the area "designed to foster ultra competitive matches focused on skill, individual performance, and personal bragging rights". Reading comprehension, man.
But if people enter the Arena, which is flagged as designed to foster ultra competitive yadda yadda, and then democratically vote for AR starts, surely that would suggest there is a subset of Halo players who enjoy both competitive matches and AR starts?

Shishka said:
That's awesome, thanks. Some friends of mine were worried we wouldn't be able to have large community games, and 8 is still better than 6.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
But if people enter the Arena, which is flagged as designed to foster ultra competitive yadda yadda, and then democratically vote for AR starts, surely that would suggest there is a subset of Halo players who enjoy both competitive matches and AR starts?

I think this will sort itself out as you get matched with people of similar skill. I can't imagine Onyx players settling for gametypes with AR starts. I know I won't hahahaha
Yes, I think I will be in Onyx lol

ultron87

Might Generator Defense be the test bed for some sort of crazy counter-op campaign mode ala Perfect Dark? Hence the two player split screen limitation and other general weirdness about it?

ultron87 said:
Might Generator Defense be the test bed for some sort of crazy counter-op campaign mode ala Perfect Dark? Hence the two player split screen limitation and other general weirdness about it?
Theory around here was that it would be running invisible campaign data in the background.

Of course no one really knows ANYTHING, but it seems somewhat plausible, especially since it's called "Network Test 1" instead of just "Generator Defense".

Tashi0106 said:
I think this will sort itself out as you get matched with people of similar skill. I can't imagine Onyx players settling for gametypes with AR starts. I know I won't hahahaha
Yes, I think I will be in Onyx lol
To be clear, I don't enjoy AR starts (in Halo 3, at least), and I won't be voting for them. But I'm just not demented enough to propose that my preferences are universal and universally correct, while simultaneously arguing that the community is stupid for not sharing my universal preferences.

It's like kylej is acting as a medium for the ghost of juices past.

Kapura

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
To be clear, I don't enjoy AR starts (in Halo 3, at least), and I won't be voting for them. But I'm just not demented enough to propose that my preferences are universal and universally correct, while simultaneously arguing that the community is stupid for not sharing my universal preferences.

It's like kylej is acting as a medium for the ghost of juices past.
I dunno, Juices is hilariously boastful. kylej just hates.

Bring back juices!

Top Bottom