• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DOOM: Dark Ages Preview details from closed showcase

Doom and Doom Eternal were amazing games and unique in their own right. Sounds like Dark Ages will be similar in that sentiment. I enjoyed each of them equally.

AndrewRyan

Not sure how I feel about eliminating vertical gameplay. Eternal kind of nailed it and If anything I'd like to see it expanded.
They really leaned into it in Part 2 of the DLC. I loved it and the floating orb you use to launch into the air, like the one in Returnal.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It doesnt work in single player and by now theres more than enough complaints on all the platforming.
It worked more than very well in Eternal. Those complaining are those that can't jump and shoot at the same time.

Not really if I wanted a platformer I'd play mario

And if I wanted a platformer + shooting I play Eternal.

Last edited:

Danknugz

the glory kills change sounds interesting almost kind of like MK armageddon kreate a fatality. shame they didn't mention removal of arenas "the game areas are much more open than previous games"which is troubling, sounds just like larger arenas. original dooms were completely open which was a major factor for the exploration experience. the mech sounds dumb.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

.................yikes......I don't think I like this.
I can’t imagine not wanting to play a new game that sounds closer to the original two in design than 2016 and Eternal.

The dragon and the mech sound awful, but larger much more open areas and shmup-esque gameplay sounds very appealing as somebody that loves the classic Doom games. I don’t know how I feel about the shield yet.. need to see it in action.. but many of the changes that they brought in Eternal were off putting imo. Eternal is a very good game mechanically and most of my complaints are about the art style, level design, and the lore.. but I still don’t want another Doom game that plays the that way. I’d rather they take Doom back to its roots.

I suspect they will eventually transpose 2016’s movement and maybe the dash from Eternal into a Quake reimagining and that the movement changes in The Dark Ages are to allow for the next game to feel substantially different.

Eiknarf

Banned
Just got Doom Eternal (I know I’m late to the game) for PS5 and have a stupid question: I have a bunch of weapons in/on the weapon wheel, but want to know how to set which two I want to be my main two using R1 to switch between?

Last edited:
Top Bottom