• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

godhandiscen said:
edit: The image of my Spartan in the stats page is still broken. What can I do about it?
You need to complain more!

One Spartan Army
Kill 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. 2000cR

Short, Controlled Bursts
Kill 100 enemies with automatic weapons in the Campaign today. 1500cR

Roast 'em, Toast 'em
Kill 10 enemies while jet-packing in Exodus on Normal. 1200cR

Vengeance Found
Earn your 'Revenge' in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1150cR

Gui_PT

Ramirez said:
General Grade 4?

Good lawd, how do you cope with playing this subpar game so much?

I actually don't play it that much. I used to play the crap out of this game when it came out. But now I just play for the challenges, and sometimes a couple of games with friends.

I will admit though I'm losing interest in playing the game. There's just so many things that ruin the fun. Unbalanced armor abilities, random shooting/spamming being rewarded, weak maps, poor playlist choices. Repetitive, dull, unrewarding challenges and so on...

This game is always fun with a party of friends though.

godhandiscen said:
The Halo Cryptum thread in the offtopic is dead. Can I discuss the novel here? Where can I find images of the characters? I am having a hard time picturing Riser.

edit: The image of my Spartan in the stats page is still broken. What can I do about it?

If you guys discuss Cryptum in here please use Spoiler tags. On another note, has anyone from the UK managed to get ahold of it?

Arnie

bobs99 ... said:
If you guys discuss Cryptum in here please use Spoiler tags. On another note, has anyone from the UK managed to get ahold of it?
Ordered it two days ago along with Dynasty: 50 Years of Bill Shankly. It says it won't dispatch until late January so I had to get it delivered back to my Uni address. Quite a pain in the arse really, I guess they just don't have much stock at all, if any.

Arnie said:
Ordered it two days ago along with Dynasty: 50 Years of Bill Shankly. It says it won't dispatch until late January so I had to get it delivered back to my Uni address. Quite a pain in the arse really, I guess they just don't have much stock at all, if any.
They've to import it from amazon.com. And I really do not know if they had some copies at the beginning, because I pre-ordered it when it was available to pre-order.

I'm about 150 pages into Halo: Cryptum and the book is getting better and better as it goes along. Has a good chance of being the best Halo book yet.

kylej

Banned
Gui_PT said:
I actually don't play it that much. I used to play the crap out of this game when it came out. But now I just play for the challenges, and sometimes a couple of games with friends.

I will admit though I'm losing interest in playing the game. There's just so many things that ruin the fun. Unbalanced armor abilities, random shooting/spamming being rewarded, weak maps, poor playlist choices. Repetitive, dull, unrewarding challenges and so on...

This game is always fun with a party of friends though.

Bungie's gonna make the game Bungie wants to make!

I think they broke 80,000 active players at night yesterday. This new Halo is a mover and a shaker.

Gui_PT

kylej said:

I think they broke 80,000 active players at night yesterday. This new Halo is a mover and a shaker.

Your wisdom always shows the bright side of things

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yeah, i made the update cut :)

5335610765_c7fc07287b.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
kylej said:

Well, they're busy fixing it. Pentathalon? Hello? Calm down.

MrBig

kylej said:

Me and shogun saw it nearing 200k at around 9

Kuroyume said:
Well, they're busy fixing it. Pentathalon? Hello? Calm down.

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, let me just say, that I agree with Kuroyume. This game might've started off a little ways below Halo 3 on my enjoyment scale, but Bungie has been steadily refining it to the point that we're a map pack away from me declaring this game better than 3.

There are things about it that bother me and can never be fixed (framerate issues) but the things that I love about it far outweigh them.

The just announced playlist updates are another step towards glory for Reach. I can't believe how much work Bungie has already put into cleaning up MM, if they keep this pace up this game may well be the Game of the Forever.

Ramirez

Bregmann Roche said:
Assuming this isn't sarcasm, let me just say, that I agree with Kuroyume. This game might've started off a little ways below Halo 3 on my enjoyment scale, but Bungie has been steadily refining it to the point that we're a map pack away from me declaring this game better than 3.

There are things about it that bother me and can never be fixed (framerate issues) but the things that I love about it far outweigh them.

The just announced playlist updates are another step towards glory for Reach. I can't believe how much work Bungie has already put into cleaning up MM, if they keep this pace up this game may well be the Game of the Forever.

You know what happens when you assume...:lol

Oh sweet Jesus I has internet again... for now. Got some really great games last night with Zeouterlimits and Barrow Roll.

Community playlist is up? Sweet...

Max local players: 1

One??? Seriously??? I suspect the likelihood of framerate issues increases when you have more players to render the map for... Buzzkill indeed.

Also, I have some totally epic pics for you all that will make you love Halo even more*.

more than likely less.

Ramirez said:
You know what happens when you assume...:lol

I'm still a Junior so I'm allowed to be naive. It's rare for him to write something level-headed or--dare I say--positive, but I'm taking a leap of faith. BELIEVE.

Blueblur1

I am so disappointed with the challenges. I know that should have totally expected that they would repeat the same challenges each month but it's absolutely ridiculous that in the same week we'll see the same boring challenge repeat. And they're all so easy that the term "challenge" is a gross exaggeration. I really hope that if this concept of challenges returns in 343's game, they'll be more inventive and varied. It would probably be best if there were less of them, too. I wouldn't take issue with something like 2 daily challenges, one weekly and one monthly, to be honest.

That Exodus challenge really bums me out, too. It comes up way too often and you pretty much complete it in the same spot every single time. Conceptually, it's a decent challenge but there should be more than one area of the game where it can be completed. It's not too inventive but killing enemies while jetpacking in campaign is way more unique that 'kill 100 Covenant with spray and pray weapons'.

Ugh.

GhaleonEB

Botolf said:
Assuming that's the case, mine too.
And the Arcade hopper will help clear out the riff raff.

If lives are reasonably limited, Limited will play very different than regular. The meta-game of scoring will be secondary to survival, especially on Legendary. Can't wait. Two more weeks, though. :(

Wait. I just noted the update said they're all for a limited time only. Double :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kylej said:

When I was on it was near 200k. 185k if I remember correctly, COD was at 895k.

For the first time since launch, my player model has finally updated, sans my newly acquired gold visor:

jeTgZ.png

Thank you, Bungle. :D

I'm just a little past a tenth of the way through Colonel. The road to Security will take quite some time at this rate, but it will be worth it in the end, that much I'm sure of.

Also, I ran into a Mythic last night in MM. I... I don't know how these people do it.

As a token of my appreciation (actually, the online team’s), Service Record player models are now being updated. We have millions to get through, so there is some delay as the system works its wonderful magic, but we did prioritize the process to server Bungie.net users and the most active players first. If you’re still not seeing results, it’s because you haven’t been playing enough.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=30267

BUNGIE LIED TO ME!

I'm a Colonel Grade 2, but Spaceman Spiff is a Colonel. I played 158hours. Spaceman Spiff only played 144hours.(According Bungie.net) The first game on his MM Victory streak is on the 12.29. My first game on the MM Victory Streak is on the 01.04.2011. So who is the more active player? FU THAT SHIT! That is just a myth again like the jackpot!

Sorry that I used you, Spaceman spiff

Bregmann Roche said:
I'm still a Junior so I'm allowed to be naive. It's rare for him to write something level-headed or--dare I say--positive, but I'm taking a leap of faith. BELIEVE.
Roche, man, you're a cool dude, so you need an avatar. GET ONE!

Dax01 said:
Roche, man, you're a cool dude, so you need an avatar. GET ONE!

Ever since I read that FAQ about the punishment for screwing up your avatar I've been scared to get one. I'm not good at Internet. I'll figure it out. I also can't find an image I want to associate with myself.

Louis Wu

Hypertrooper said:
Bungie.net still shows me the old spartan that I used in september. Maybe I should delete some cookies.
Oh. I thought you were like me, and had NO Spartan at all.

Give it a couple of days, then, it should change.

MrBig

I'm getting tired of Hemo. Next map pack better be out in a few months and better include Headlong and other btb focused maps. We got you small maps in this first one.

Louis Wu said:
Oh. I thought you were like me, and had NO Spartan at all.

Give it a couple of days, then, it should change.
Now you can go to a Talkshow and tell them your story: I finally got a face! The Louis Wu story about his Halo: Reach Spartan - dramatic, emotional.

But that's kind of sad :(

Ramirez

MrBig said:
I'm getting tired of Hemo. Next map pack better be out in a few months and better include Headlong and other btb focused maps. We got you small maps in this first one.

No, please God no. BTB SUCKS in Reach, quit wasting resources on it and Invasion.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bregmann Roche said:
Ever since I read that FAQ about the punishment for screwing up your avatar I've been scared to get one. I'm not good at Internet. I'll figure it out. I also can't find an image I want to associate with myself.
There should be an avatar creation thread in the OT. Someone can hook you up with whatever over there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
No, please God no. BTB SUCKS in Reach, quit wasting resources on it and Invasion.

BTB had 12k+ people in it last night, I would usually be one to agree with you, but you're wasting your breath there.

It's also the only thing my non halo playing buddies will touch.

Kuroyume

Banned
Are you serious? This game needs more small maps. There are a ton of big maps in the game it's just that the ones used in BTB are terrible. The recent map pack had mostly big ones too. Breakpoint is an Invasion map and Temptest is bigger than it looks. It feels big for Multi Team so I have to figure it's huge for Team Slayer.

MrBig

For everyone that plays Team Slayer, MLG, and nothing else there is going to be a huge wave of incoming forge maps. It's harder to make a good btb map, so there want be a whole lot of fresh maps in there. The only good (not really) map is Hemo. It's not fun though. I've gotten my routine down where I either grab the revenant and dominate or go to the top of the rocks behind blue base where I can see teh whole map and dominate with the sniper. It's not fun.
I can't find reach's 4v4 fun after playing mainly Team slayer in H2/3. Somethings off.
AAs are too prevalent, can't have a good time unless you're in a party
Tashi0106 said:
There should be an avatar creation thread in the OT. Someone can hook you up with whatever over there.
I occasionally check that thread and do stuff, I can make something.

Striker

The game needs more 4v4 skirmish styled maps. Preferably symmetrical. You know it's not a good sign when the best 4v4 symmetrical map is one that's created in Forge. Halo 3 was the same until Mythic 2 got released giving us Heretic/Citadel.

BTB would be fine if, or once, Bungie decides to properly utilize the maps better. Boneyard and Spire would be better off being used as asymmetrical maps built for 1-bomb and 1-flag. Instead they're half-assed and most games feature Slayer or Stockpile. Hemorrhage and Paradiso are fine, but I am playing 1-flag on those two-sided maps as much as I am 2-flag, which is not common. Tempest probably will be used as a BTB map later, but it, like Boardwalk, is better suited as a 6v6 map. It can work in BTB, just not as strong. Breakpoint can be another. but those who don't have DLC, it will never appear.

Tashi0106 said:

Now the question becomes: can a tiny image contain my glory? Likely not, but we'll see.

As for small maps vs. big maps, why not put peanut butter in your jelly and vice versa? A large exterior suitable for 8v8 that features a central structure. Within that structure an "arena" type layout suitable for 4v4. Then forge exits/entrances, kill volumes, and spawns to get two maps for the price of one.

MrBig

Bregmann Roche said:
Now the question becomes: can a tiny image contain my glory? Likely not, but we'll see.

As for small maps vs. big maps, why not put peanut butter in your jelly and vice versa? A large exterior suitable for 8v8 that features a central structure. Within that structure an "arena" type layout suitable for 4v4. Then forge exits/entrances, kill volumes, and spawns to get two maps for the price of one.
I've always wondered why they haven't done this since Halo 3 came out.

Striker said:
The game needs more 4v4 skirmish styled maps. Preferably symmetrical. You know it's not a good sign when the best 4v4 symmetrical map is one that's created in Forge. Halo 3 was the same until Mythic 2 got released giving us Heretic/Citadel.

This.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Community Slayer has Assault? Is there another Community playlist?
Yeah, I've only ever seen DMRs and regular slayer in there. Haven't played since that first night they went up though. Not worth it.

Top Bottom