• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

MrBig said:
Yeah, I've only ever seen DMRs and regular slayer in there. Haven't played since that first night they went up though. Not worth it.
BWU says they were all submitted in the Slayer category so you're probably right.

Speaking of the BWU and Community playlist...

BWU said:
This week also marked the inaugural introduction of the “Community” Playlists, the first of which focuses on a selection of offerings you lovingly binned into the Slayer category. The good news is that nearly all of the maps included are being universally praised.
wat

neoism

godhandiscen said:
The Halo Cryptum thread in the offtopic is dead. Can I discuss the novel here? Where can I find images of the characters? I am having a hard time picturing Riser.

edit: The image of my Spartan in the stats page is still broken. What can I do about it?
The fact that this thread is in community we should be able to talk about any and all things HALO.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
neoism said:
The fact that this thread is in community we should be able to talk about any and all things HALO.

Yeah, like was stated before, so long as that shit is spoiler tagged. I won't be getting to that novel for some time.

I have R.A Salvatore books to catch up on, and the new clancy book to digest before getting to it.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
got mah wings. The 220k cR climb to Brigadier was a steep one.
I've been on that for what seems like months now! Still about 80k to go till I get my dear MKVI helmet.

Sordid

My copy of Cryptum arrived today, I'll be starting it later tonight. I had to buy it from an Amazon UK seller though, they said it would've taken up to a month otherwise :/ how's everyone finding it so far?

The climb from Colonel to Grade 1 is taking long enough for me, when I eventually hit Grade 3 the 220k to Brigadier will seem like forever!

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
That's a joke.

Edit: got mah wings. The 220k cR climb to Brigadier was a steep one.
Each step in General is 200k (4 grades, and then the one to rank up which should be 400k) and then I believe the non-military ranks start at multiples of a million.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Each step in General in 200k and then I believe the non-military ranks start at multiples of a million.
Nah, it's not that bad yet. My climb is now:

Brigadier Grade 1 - 120k

Brigadier Grade 2 - 120k

Brigadier Grade 3 - 120k

General - 240k

General Grade 1 - 200k

General Grade 2 - 150k

General Grade 3 - 150k

General Grade 4 - 150k

From the b.net FAQ.

I'll clear each of those in about one week, except for the climb to General and General Grade 1, which will likely be a 2-week affair, depending on the Challenges.

After that, into the unknown (to me). I haven't followed where it goes from there, yet. I know the last several ranks are a few million cR apart.

For some reason I really wanted to hit Brigadier, I'm not sure why.

MrBig

Odd, I guess I never checked what the requirement was after I passed G1. Wonder why tehy made the first hump different when they've always been the same.

It may have been because Brigadier is the rank that unlocks everything besides security helmet. Also it has the best icon

e: here's all the ranks http://www.halopedian.com/Rank_(Halo:_Reach)

Daily credit cap is now 120k? I'm sitting at like 55k for today and I was getting worried :D

I just got a new slim 360 and Halo reach and I always thought that reload was the RB and melee was the X button. Is there any way to switch these two in the settings? They have a bunch of preloaded settings with nicknames like Lefty, Recon, etc but I couldn't find a way to pick and choose which individual buttons to remap. It's annoying that they changed this.

Edit: And also what's with the assassinations? How do you do them? It seems dumb because while you're wasting time killing someone slowly then another guy can just kill you.

MrBig

Synth_floyd said:
I just got a new slim 360 and Halo reach and I always thought that reload was the RB and melee was the X button. Is there any way to switch these two in the settings? They have a bunch of preloaded settings with nicknames like Lefty, Recon, etc but I couldn't find a way to pick and choose which individual buttons to remap. It's annoying that they changed this.
start>controller>button layout>recon

Melee was never on X i believe

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MrBig said:
start>controller>button layout>recon

Recon is B to Melee

There isn't a way to map the controls. Also, which control settings had RB to reload and X to melee? Obviously something from Halo 3. Are you sure about that?

Yeah I was referring to Halo 3 when I said the controls used to be reload on LB and melee on X. I guess there's no way to change it then. I'm getting used to it but it's annoying. I'll just pick up a cheap copy of ODST to go back to the old controls.

Synth_floyd said:
Yeah I was referring to Halo 3 when I said the controls used to be reload on LB and melee on X. I guess there's no way to change it then. I'm getting used to it but it's annoying. I'll just pick up a cheap copy of ODST to go back to the old controls.
You will get it if you choose Recon as a control-setting.

Hmm, my mistake. I guess it has been a while since I played Halo 3. I looked at the manual for Halo 3 online and melee was B. Alright I'll just switch to recon controls.

Also, how do assassinations work and what's the point if it leaves you vulnerable for a few seconds to do the same thing a simple melee would?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Synth_floyd said:

Meleeing has never been on X.

Tashi

Synth_floyd said:
Hmm, my mistake. I guess it has been a while since I played Halo 3. I looked at the manual for Halo 3 online and melee was B. Alright I'll just switch to recon controls.

Also, how do assassinations work and what's the point if it leaves you vulnerable for a few seconds to do the same thing a simple melee would?

It's just for sexiness. They do the same thing. Also, there's a commendation for doing the full assassination.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Nah, it's not that bad yet. My climb is now:

Brigadier Grade 1 - 120k

Brigadier Grade 2 - 120k

Brigadier Grade 3 - 120k

General - 240k

General Grade 1 - 200k

General Grade 2 - 150k

General Grade 3 - 150k

General Grade 4 - 150k

From the b.net FAQ.

I'll clear each of those in about one week, except for the climb to General and General Grade 1, which will likely be a 2-week affair, depending on the Challenges.

After that, into the unknown (to me). I haven't followed where it goes from there, yet. I know the last several ranks are a few million cR apart.

For some reason I really wanted to hit Brigadier, I'm not sure why.

Brigadier 3 to General is 120k or 240k?

Kuroyume

Banned
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hated the jump from Colonel 3 to Brigadier. Took forever. Felt so close to Security and yet so far away now...

Kuroyume said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hated the jump from Colonel 3 to Brigadier. Took forever. Felt so close to Security and yet so far away now...

:lol

Luckily ive got all the armour I want, so im out of the ranking race but just as feedback I think the Reach system is the least rewarding/ enticing system out of all the games ive played recently.

With other games that use the exp system, the exp between ranks is just close enough to give a sense of "just one more game". With Reach, early on you lose that. The fact that you have 3 grades of each rank just makes it worse.

Im so glad Reach doesnt give the higher ranks things like better weapons, but thats a big draw of other games which use a exp system. With Assassins Creed Brotherhood I get a new perk, I want to try it out, and after a few games trying it out im probably just 1 or 2 games away from ranking up again, its a vicious cycle! I guess the point im making is, this system just isnt really ever going to work with Halo.

I guess Reach's system can be considered as less of a short term grind and more of a long term reward for commited fans which is cool - on another related note, those challenges still suck. :lol

EDIT: Actually ive always found it sort of annoying how little player ability plays into the system, most Cr comes from game complete, so it seems as though doing really well isnt actually rewarded, I personally just want to do well for the sake of the game, but it would be nice to be rewarded for it considering the game has a ranking system. I also think its irritating how theres a rich get richer syndrome, people shouldnt earn more for the same performance simply because they are higher ranked.

GhaleonEB

My wife is going out for a girls night out, so I'm with the kids. I'll miss customs this week, sadly.

Gonna start diagramming a new map, though.

GhaleonEB said:
Gonna start diagramming a new map, though.

Start with two raised platforms on either end of the map. Those are your bases. Put a large, nonsensical structure in the middle. Put sniper rifles everywhere and pay no attention to spawning or player movement. Connect the bases and central structure with nonsensical platforms and bridges. Congratulations! Your map just made it into Community Slayer!

I kid I kid. I'm liking Community Slayer, just not Capacitor and Elevation.

Edit: This avatar is making me snarky!

zumphry

Banned
I'm online, but I appear offline so if anyone wants to join me and play some games before Dani starts customs I'll be on. If not, then I have 400 grunts to kill.

ZayneH said:
I'm online, but I appear offline so if anyone wants to join me and play some games before Dani starts customs I'll be on. If not, then I have 400 grunts to kill.
You should say this over twitter! I finished the weekly and because of that I'm going to bed.

zumphry

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
You should say this over twitter! I finished the weekly and because of that I'm going to bed.

Lucky. After this daily I'm going to have 3 left to do, so I'm scared that tomorrow's challenges are going to be all Assist challenges in Firefight, Campaign, and Matchmaking, with the forth being Kill 200 Enemies in Matchmaking.

GhaleonEB

Bregmann Roche said:
Start with two raised platforms on either end of the map. Those are your bases. Put a large, nonsensical structure in the middle. Put sniper rifles everywhere and pay no attention to spawning or player movement. Connect the bases and central structure with nonsensical platforms and bridges. Congratulations! Your map just made it into Community Slayer!

I kid I kid. I'm liking Community Slayer, just not Capacitor and Elevation.

Edit: This avatar is making me snarky!
Gonna try my hand at an Invasion map.

Tashi

Alienshogun said:
I'm playing with another board ATM, so I won't be there regardless, I hope you guys get some, turnouts have been low from my understanding lately.
Woooooow another board huh? Oh oookkkaaayyyy we see how it is

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Woooooow another board huh? Oh oookkkaaayyyy we see how it is

:lol

IGN boards splintered off and a lot of guys I know made a new board, I won't say it here because I don't want to advertise another board.

Anyway, I haven't played with many of them in a while, or some of them at all. Plus they aren't doing only customs, we we are doing a mix of customs and BTB MM, been incredibly fun so far, but now I got Wifetaculared so I have to go, and come back later.

Either way, donging on kids is fun with friends. :D

I still love you GAF, especially you Tashi*

*Dax not included.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Gonna try my hand at an Invasion map.

You can have mine that I've built so far. It's in a good neighborhood, has a nice ocean view, and comes with two beam emitters (one not working), and another Forerunner ship that teleported into the side of a cliff, just like Breakpoint!

But seriously, I have no idea what I'm doing with it when it comes to Invasion only spawns/weapons, and regular CTF/Bomb/Slayer items. :s

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Oh a little something that some of you may enjoy, yeah, it's the reward for that FF competition, but you can all get one free.

This isn't against TOS is it? If it is let me know and I'll remove it.

Click below to see how to get a free Banshee avatar prop, it's safe and easy.

http://www.badcartridge.com/index.php?/topic/1596-want-a-free-halo-reach-banshee-avatar-prop/page__view__findpost__p__31769
Nice. Thanks for the hook up bro.

By the way the disposable email couldn't pick up the code for me, wonder why, I just sent it to one of my emails.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Nice. Thanks for the hook up bro.

By the way the disposable email couldn't pick up the code for me, wonder why, I just sent it to one of my emails.

Not sure why, but glad you could use it! :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Not sure why, but glad you could use it! :D
I'm pretty sure it's allowed in the ToS too, so you're good there. There have been plenty "hey get this free here!" threads with much larger payoffs (like games or XBL month codes for free) with their own threads, so this should be fine.

Stackboy

Got the weekly challenge, lucky I had a week off work so I could put in the time.

Might take a day or two off from playing Halo.

Top Bottom