• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Basically the window frame of bloom inaccuracy time on the DMR/Pistol/Nerfle makes it easier to noscope/quickscope, makes leapfrogging harder too, because of that the gunplay changes a lot in game.
That's absolutely true, also the hit box for the head seems to be huge when sniping. I'm not sure what it is but sniping headshot kills are way up in Reach from Halo 3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
Basically the window frame of bloom inaccuracy time on the DMR/Pistol/Nerfle makes it easier to noscope/quickscope, makes leapfrogging harder too, because of that the gunplay changes a lot in game.

Ah, so it's less what they did to the sniper, and more the fact that bloom is a bigger factor?

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I'm just going to go ahead and say the friendly AI is the worst in the entire series. It's one of those things where the more I pay attention to it, the more I see how idiotic they are. If they're not murdering me outright they're wandering around aimlessly of no use whatsoever. And now that I'm trying to manage them on ONI, they're doing a combination of the two - but not actually helping in any way.

I get that Halo asks the AI to do a lot more heavy lifting than most shooters, especially when it comes to vehicles. But this is the fifth Bungie Halo game, and these guys are morans.

It really is. The friendly AI has never been that great but the friendly AI in Halo Reach is without a doubt the worst of the series. It's funny too because I remember them bragging about how a bug with it was fixed and it was going to be awesome at using vehicles. That sure as hell didn't happen though.

The AI either sits there and pulls forward a foot then backs up a foot and repeats this over and over. The other option is that it drives 5 feet intentionally into a rock or destroyed vehicle and flips the vehicle. Also let's not forget the let's just sit there and not move AI that is so helpful.

Also don't even get me started on their pathetic shooting. That's why I usually dump the AI and just find a vehicle that I can drive and shoot at the same time.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah I dont get why they felt the need to 'idiot proof' the Sniper, the road to actually getting good with the thing in Halo 3 kept me playing far longer than any games ranking system has, and getting impressive kills with it was actually satisfying before.

I guess its more fun for everyone this way, but at a irritating cost.
You hardly got consistent hit detection with it in Halo 3.

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
Prime fucking example of how goddamn awful the friendly AI is in this game. I love Bungie and the Halo series but how do you not catch that kind of awful AI?
That example is particularly baffling, because I remember them saying that the AI in previous games were driving incorrectly because they didn't know that the Warthog steered with all four wheels, and that the issue was fixed. So how does that video happen? Artificial alcohol?

J-Roderton

Has anyone went back and played Halo 3 or ODST since you have been playing Reach? I'm about to go and run through some ODST campaign. I'm curious if it will feel weird going back to the old controls and no use of armor abilities.

feel

Jroderton said:
Has anyone went back and played Halo 3 or ODST since you have been playing Reach? I'm about to go and run through some ODST campaign. I'm curious if it will feel weird going back to the old controls and no use of armor abilities.
Don't worry about going back to those, they are fine. Worry about returning to Reach.

NH Apache

Banned
Been a while, Gaf.

Stepped back into Halo the other day for the first time in a while. LOVING the new Community Slayer playlist.

Had such a good time I decided to waste my 5 monthly minutes on the start of one of my recent games, final games score here:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=420842996&player=NH Apache

You can see how freaking spastic I am (I get too excited) especially when things gets close range.

Anyways, here is the rendered clip:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12393810&player=NH Apache

Loving the news that my spartan will finally update (eventually I hope). Wanna show off my pilot/black visor combo. Gotta just play more I guess.

Happy New Year, meatbags.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Jroderton said:
I was playing some Halo 3 last week and kept trying to use RB for melee. Was pretty darn annoying. Later that week I played some Reach for the first time in awhile and kept trying to use B.. it's like my brain is confusing the 2 games.

GhaleonEB

And I give up on the ONI Challenge. I did four runs that got up to the Revenant battle back at the base, and all four ended in my demise directly due to withingly stupid friendly AI. This last run I spent over five minutes trying to get Kat not to get in the goddamn Warthog while I'm shooing the defending vehicles. I even drove back and dropped her off at other parts of the level, but she would teleport in to steal my Warthog.

All deaths because the AI wouldn't shoot the vehicle that was in plain sight right in front of them while I drove past. I tried shooting them from further back using the Gauss solo, but I never got more than two shots before Kat tried to kamakaze me.

Blarg. Game-breakingly bad stuff. That's four missions now where something broken has killed a Flawless Cowboy run.

I did enjoy seeing Kat hurl to her own demise for once, though.

Havok

Why not Save and Quit when you die then load the level back up? It resets the challenge, so you don't have to go through the whole level again. Makes all the 'x without dying' challenges pretty trivial.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
And I give up on the ONI Challenge. I did four runs that got up to the Revenant battle back at the base, and all four ended in my demise directly due to withingly stupid friendly AI. This last run I spent over five minutes trying to get Kat not to get in the goddamn Warthog while I'm shooing the defending vehicles. I even drove back and dropped her off at other parts of the level, but she would teleport in to steal my Warthog.

All deaths because the AI wouldn't shoot the vehicle that was in plain sight right in front of them while I drove past. I tried shooting them from further back using the Gauss solo, but I never got more than two shots before Kat tried to kamakaze me.

Blarg. Game-breakingly bad stuff. That's four missions now where something broken has killed a Flawless Cowboy run.

I did the same thing, going all the way back to the defense turrets, dropping her off, then driving back to try to shoot the Revenants until she drove a fucking Ghost from there, to hop in and drive us to our doom.

I then proceeded to take the hog, with her in it, and pull a Thelma and Louise. Except that we hit a tree, and exploded.

The Hunter battle is really fun when you only have a Plasma Pistol and Shotgun. Only way I got through that was after about a half hour of rage induced screaming at my tv, I apparently popped a vein, causing brain damage, which led me to Armor Lock heroing it up and somehow beating them.

ElRenoRaven

Jroderton said:

Not for me. I play with recon controls because I can't stand the default ones in reach. So it plays pretty much the same for me as a result.

And I think ODST holds up damn well still.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Why not Save and Quit when you die then load the level back up? It resets the challenge, so you don't have to go through the whole level again. Makes all the 'x without dying' challenges pretty trivial.
Really? I was pretty sure the Challenge was greyed out when I tried that once.

Edit: just loaded back up. It's not greyed out. BRB

Edit2: completed The Office of Not Dying by dying four times.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
If you park against a wall or a rock or a tree, she won't get in. If you come back to the base from the air artillery side, it's pretty easy to drive up against the wall, jump out (you'll end up on top of the hog, of course), then climb in the gunner seat; you won't have 360 degrees of fire, but you shouldn't need it. :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
"Alright guys I finished my first pass at driving AI, anyone gonna try it out?"

"Nah dude, you work at Bungie, its definitely perfect, we're great"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sometimes I can't believe people made this game, I just can't believe it.
Can't believe how much it fucking sucks.

Striker

It's not perfect, but I find it enjoyable. I don't understand people saying how this game, or any game for that matter, isn't fun or sucks yet continues to play. The biggest problem I have with the game itself is just improper playlist management. Lack of good gametypes like Assault and the weighting in BTB is just fudged. It's all about Stockpile, Slayer/Elite Slayer, and Headhunter. I had to play about three games for the first Multi-CTF to fuckin' show up. Idiot teammates aside, of course.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Striker said:
It's not perfect, but I find it enjoyable. I don't understand people saying how this game, or any game for that matter, isn't fun or sucks yet continues to play. The biggest problem I have with the game itself is just improper playlist management. Lack of good gametypes like Assault and the weighting in BTB is just fudged. It's all about Stockpile, Slayer/Elite Slayer, and Headhunter. I had to play about three games for the first Multi-CTF to fuckin' show up. Idiot teammates aside, of course.
I'll admit the anger in my post was from frustration from the last two games I played I will say that if bloom is in Halo 4 I likely won't be playing it, can't stand it. And I haven't touched BTB which was my favorite playlist in H2 & 3 besides 6v6 because of people like MrBig and regardless Hemo doesn't work well on Reach. Only way I'll go in BTB is with a group.

Striker

I find Hemorrhage and Paradiso, even with idiots who don't use vehicles thus allowing the other team to get them, pretty fun. They're maps that are defined for regular Slayer, CTF, and if Bungie ever put it in BTB again, Assault. Elite Slayer works pretty well in those large maps. But with the awful weightings, I'm getting Crazy King and Headhunter on Hemorrhage as much as I am CTF. -_-

Slayer on Spire hasn't been too bad in my recent games. I still question the spawning Bungie does in the map, and the positioning of the initial spawns and vehicle placement. I have not gotten to play Boneyard since Bungie changed its spawn zones around. I still think it isn't nearly as good as it could/should be, or how decent Spire can be. Rather disappointingly handled.

wwm0nkey

Some of you guys might be interested in this, but a modder has taken Bloom, Fall damage, and AA's out of the game (obviously this wont work on a normal Xbox)

Video

I like Reach the way it is but I would like to have this as an option.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Some of you guys might be interested in this, but a modder has taken Bloom, Fall damage, and AA's out of the game (obviously this wont work on a normal Xbox)

Video

I like Reach the way it is but I would like to have this as an option.

Look at the date of the video. Guess if such a video would exist until now and not have been discussed here a few times. :D

Gui_PT

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Friend in Need - 2000cR

Earn 10 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Return of the Mack - 3000cR

Kill 50 Elites in Campaign today on Normal or harder.

Headshot Honcho - 1700cR

Kill 9 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

And the disappointing Weekly -

Legendary Friends - 2500cR

Complete any Campaign mission on Legendary in co-op mode.

wwm0nkey

Barrow Roll said:
Well it's new to me. That looks amazing. Really wish Bungie adds this option in a TU (they won't).
I do think it would be a nice option to have in the custom game settings, but I dont think they can add it sadly :(

Falt

Gui_PT said:
[And the disappointing Weekly -

You mean monthly?

monthly.jpg

Lead Based Paint said:
In terms of story and overall multiplayer? Halo 2 is better.

I prefer Halo 2 and its godly maps as well. I think Reach could be really great if they fix the bloom or be able to toggle it off (on the DMR). Oh and add in better 4v4 maps. Halo is an arena shooter. It only makes sense that the above average maps are Midship, Pit, Lockout, Battle Creek, Guardian, Narrows, Construct, Sanctuary, Wizard, Chill Out, etc...

And the maps that are borderline arena that were great always had great lines of sight, and geometry that didn't mess with the gameplay. The maps that always have gimmicks are the ones that suck. It seems like maps now a days go towards the "let's see how pretty and different we can make them" spectrum.

I used to play Halo non stop from CE - 3. I as well as many of my friends each put in about 20,000 multiplayer games during that time period. None of us have put in 500 games in Reach. It's still a good game. It just doesn't feel as fast as the other Halos (default with armor abilities) and the maps suck.

Edit: It sucks because I would really like to start playing Halo again with all of my friends and start to enjoy it as much as the others.

Gui_PT said:
Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Friend in Need - 2000cR

Earn 10 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Return of the Mack - 3000cR

Kill 50 Elites in Campaign today on Normal or harder.

Headshot Honcho - 1700cR

Kill 9 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

And the disappointing Weekly -

You get the double of weekly when you only finish 2 dailys. Haha Bungie. Give us the "Finish Lone Wolf on legendary without dying" challenge.

Alienshogun said:
Ah, so it's less what they did to the sniper, and more the fact that bloom is a bigger factor?

Yeah, well I guess thats true of most things, changing one sandbox element has knock on effects.

Sniping is easier not only because the hitboxes seem bigger but also because of the things Juices mentioned and things like movement speed, its just a lot easier to hit the slower moving targets.

In relation to other things the Sniper seems like an easy weapon to use. A good way to put it is that in Halo 3 the (5 shot kill) Pistol was weaker than most other weapons and therfore didnt get much love, but the Pistol in Reach which is just as powerful is a strong weapon in comparison to the rest of the sandbox.

Im not saying the Halo 3 Sniper was weaker than the rest of the Sandbox, but it was a lot harder to use because of the effects of movement speed and stuff. With Reach the rest of the Sandbox is easier to deal with, and on top of that they made the Sniper "Idiot proof".

GhaleonEB said:

You might also want to try only using the Target Locator once and jack one of the Wraiths. You can breeze through the rest of the level with ease, and come back for the Gauss 'hog when you've dispatched all the enemies and Revenants at the ONI gate. You can jump the 'hog over the barricades to make very quick work of the Covenant in the courtyard and the Hunters near the elevator, and once you're inside all you need is PP+DMR.

Needless to say, I made a stupid mistake right at the end and I had to do a save/quit to get the challenge. :lol

Jroderton said:
I recently replayed Halo 1. It wasn't that difficult to switch between the two games at all.

Dax01 said:
I recently replayed Halo 1. It wasn't that difficult to switch between the two games at all.

I just did a co op run with a friend who just got Halo 3, and while im not really a fan of them in multi player AA's are so much better in single player than equipment was. I was wasting out things like camo out of instinct forgetting that it was single use.

Apart from that it wasnt hard to switch between the games, and to be fair it didnt take long to adjust back to equipment.

Arnie

bobs99 ... said:
I just did a co op run with a friend who just got Halo 3, and while im not really a fan of them in multi player AA's are so much better in single player than equipment was. I was wasting out things like camo out of instinct forgetting that it was single use.

Apart from that it wasnt hard to switch between the games, and to be fair it didnt take long to adjust back to equipment.
I think that's the biggest thing Bungie struggled with in Reach, finding the right mix of Singleplayer and Multiplayer from a design perspective. I mean bloom is fucking awesome against AI Elites because you only have to pace your shot for that final headshot due to their large hitbox. Against a shorter Spartan 3 it can be a nightmare, although i will say I've learned to embrace bloom rather than resent it and I find Reach a much better game because of it.

Top Bottom