• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Kuroyume

Banned
squidhands said:
I hope you can't read bnet for some reason, because there's no other excuse for not being able to read past the second sentence. :lol

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:( Bring back the short games!

kylej

Banned
Did they replace the game engine before putting Firefight Arcade up? Why would anyone want to lag around an environment and shoot dumb AI for 15 minutes.

"Damn, I tried to snipe that elite over there but the framerate dropped"
"Of course it did"
"But I thought this was a new engine?"
"You just got Shishka'd™"

squidhands said:
Eh, sometimes. If you tweak the search settings, chances of not finding a suitable match will sometimes leave you and your buddy all alone. Then, of course, there are the quitters/AFK turdbuckets. Your chances are decent.

Hmm this sounds completely pointless then. Unless the sole reason is that not everyone was pleased with having to play a full set and this brings it back to a round. Either way, they really really need to create a mode where you can go in with one or two friends and not get anyone else. I have MANY times where a friend and I just want to knock out challenges and don't like dealing with other people's votes not to mention you'd obviously get the 'kill this many' challenges far faster with just two people.

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
Hmm this sounds completely pointless then. Unless the sole reason is that not everyone was pleased with having to play a full set and this brings it back to a round. Either way, they really really need to create a mode where you can go in with one or two friends and not get anyone else. I have MANY times where a friend and I just want to knock out challenges and don't like dealing with other people's votes not to mention you'd obviously get the 'kill this many' challenges far faster with just two people.
Would be neat in modes like Firefight and Campaign that you could set the party size - 1-4. Zayne and I had an evening where it was just the two of us in something like six FF games in a row, and it was freaking awesome.

I'm okay with the shorter time for Arcade. It looks like a blast of constant explosions, which should prove cathartic sometimes. My objects to Rocketfight are 1) I am forced to play it when I want normal Firefight and 2) it goes on far too long. The separate playlist addresses both.

I just wish Firefight Limited were here now.

GhaleonEB said:
Would be neat in modes like Firefight and Campaign that you could set the party size - 1-4. Zayne and I had an evening where it was just the two of us in something like six FF games in a row, and it was freaking awesome.

I'm okay with the shorter time for Arcade. It looks like a blast of constant explosions, which should prove cathartic sometimes. My objects to Rocketfight are 1) I am forced to play it when I want normal Firefight and 2) it goes on far too long. The separate playlist addresses both.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely needed as I've heard many people complain they don't want to play a whole set. Hell, I don't care to when I'm able to knock out a challenge from just one round's worth. Both options should definitely be in the game so I'm glad they added it. I'm just pining for a FF mode where I can go in with just one friend. I don't see why it's so hard to adjust Score Attack so that it supports anywhere from 1-4 players, only going off of who is in your party.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Too bad it's for a limited time, I'm going to miss the bigger cR payouts when I want revenge on Fuel Rod Grunts after Gruntpocalypse sessions.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Too bad it's for a limited time, I'm going to miss the bigger cR payouts when I want revenge on Fuel Rod Grunts after Gruntpocalypse sessions.

I guess this is another situation where not everyone can be pleased. Personally, I think the infinite lives blastathons are more suited to shorer bursts than the survival-type game that the Limited will be. But that's from the viewpoint of someone who got really burned out on Rocketfight.

I suppose you could just play two games in a row for the same size payouts. :p

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I guess this is another situation where not everyone can be pleased. Personally, I think the infinite lives blastathons are more suited to shorer bursts than the survival-type game that the Limited will be. But that's from the viewpoint of someone who got really burned out on Rocketfight.

I suppose you could just play two games in a row for the same size payouts. :p

I agree that the blastathons should be in Grab Bag and not it's own permanent playlist. Though, I play more Firefight in Score Attack, so maybe they could add the Arcade gametypes in as third options after the Grab Bag is gone (and replace regular Score Attack with Mythic Score Attack, but that's just me dreaming). Though, that'd most likely upset people who want to play Sniperfight, or don't like Mythic Score Attack, so whatya gonna do?

Just wish the Grab Bag would be Reach's Double EXP, but instead of being only on weekends, they'd be cycled out every week with a new set of gametypes/playlists.

ElRenoRaven

Ok I'm loving this new firefight playlist. It's just crazy mayhem all around. Without a doubt it's a playlist I'd like to see stay around.

kylej said:
Did they replace the game engine before putting Firefight Arcade up? Why would anyone want to lag around an environment and shoot dumb AI for 15 minutes.

"Damn, I tried to snipe that elite over there but the framerate dropped"
"Of course it did"
"But I thought this was a new engine?"
"You just got Shishka'd™"
You must have an extremely shitty connection. I play a lot of firefight and it's a rare occasion where the framerate is too terrible for me to play properly. Even then, it irons itself out within a couple of minutes.

Squall ASF said:
It's also extremely rare to get two people matched with two others. Two guys can control the voting 9 times out of 10.

Kuroyume

Banned
Just want to say that Evade is right up there with Armor Lock as the most annoying armor ability in the game.

Oh so your sensitivity isn't at 10? Oh that's too bad you're fucked.

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
Just want to say that Evade is right up there with Armor Lock as the most annoying armor ability in the game.

Oh so your sensitivity isn't at 10? Oh that's too bad you're fucked.
My backseat playlist management for the day:

If I had my druthers (I'm not sure what they are but I'm reasonably sure I don't have them), Evade would be confined to Elites on gametypes where you play as Elites (Invasion, Elite Slayer).

And then I would create a new playlist called "Elite Grab Bag", a 6 v 6 playlist of Elites vs. Elites, and move Elite Slayer out of the other playlists. Pop in a few objective games into the mix of that playlist. It would be crazy on smaller maps (as it is in Multi Team) but enough players to toss in the occasional Hemorrhage action.

Sort of like how Rocketfight is different enough from Firefight that it needed its own playlist, when I want to play Team Slayer I don't want to play Elite Slayer. They're different.
xxjuicesxx said:
You must not play Glacier. That map is a powerpoint presentation.
My experience with Firefight has been great so far. I'd say nine games out of ten are very low, often unnoticeable lag. Glacier is its own beast, I think it's laggy/chuggy 100% of the time for everyone always.

squidhands said:
You must have an extremely shitty connection. I play a lot of firefight and it's a rare occasion where the framerate is too terrible for me to play properly. Even then, it irons itself out within a couple of minutes.

Blueblur1

Yay.

playermodel.png

xxjuicesxx said:
I do, I just limit it to Gruntpocalypse and the occasional vanilla Firefight. The worst place to be by far is at the main door. I usually sit by the secondary weapon rack and don't have many troubles.

GhaleonEB

I wish the FRG wasn't pick-upable in other 'Fight modes. The dude that got the first one in Plasma Fight cleaned house for five minutes straight before I could find one of my own. That aside, it was great fun. I went to town with the hammer for a while there. If this playlist ever goes away, I'll be very sad.

I just noticed it's in the Grab Bag playlist. I'm thinking - will Limited replace it when it rolls around? For some reason I though these two playlists would compliment one another. Arcade for crazy stuff and Limited for the classic survival experience.

Edit: just got matched up with Nokyard. Hi, Noky!

Edit2: Nadefight is so awesome.

This. Playlist. Must. Not. Ever. Go. Away.

Kuroyume

Banned
Played grenade and plasma fight... Not that bad. It's firefight but not as painful because the loadouts have power weapons. No more trying to kill mythic fuel rod cannnon/concussion rifle carrying elites with a pistol/DMR/AR. Kind of feels like it goes by quicker.

J-Roderton

Enjoyed playing the new FF stuff tonight, then went on a nice winning streak. Might try and finish up the remaining challenges later on tonight.

zumphry

Banned
Sorry about that Ghal :lol . I don't know what happened for the Xbox to be one of the things to stay on. It's not snowing here badly yet so I think it was just a freak occurrence. :lol

EDIT: The more I play it, the more I think the Arcade gametypes should be in Score Attack. Score Attack is already set up like arcades, with leaderboards, so the arcade gametypes would fit in there more. Plus, the way they are now with 4 people gets really chaotic, which I like, but I'd also like to do these by myself and not have to contend for kills.

Oh well. Enjoy it while it lasts, right?

ElRenoRaven

Damn it to hell. There goes me playing more Reach tonight. Damn net connection dropped during a game. Now 3 of the daily challenges for today that I completed reset. I'm not about to get credit for 3 challenges that I have already done.

So there goes playing Reach the rest of the night.

GhaleonEB

So, yeah. I'm in love with Firefight Arcade. Lars is a genius in the mad scientist sort of way, which is just my type.

Sniperfight takes on a whole new flavor of hectic. This game on Overlook was basically four dudes on top of a building mowing guys down - I got trough the entire game without dying.

Things really went apeshit with Plasma Fight on the same map. I decided to go for the sword, and despite whiffing a lot - my timing was really off this game - I took a clip to try and capture how nuts the game is, though it's not the best example.

I love having stuff that hasn't been in the mix here. No drop ships really speeds up the pace and spreads the enemies out. And I didn't know the range of weaponry the Heretics could use. I got mowed down by some gold dude using an Assault Rifle, then took some sniper fire later....then *whoosh* what that a rocket!? Not use to being on the receiving end of that stuff and it was awesome.

And the bonus round was a hoot.

Please don't take this playlist away.

squidhands said:
I do, I just limit it to Gruntpocalypse and the occasional vanilla Firefight. The worst place to be by far is at the main door. I usually sit by the secondary weapon rack and don't have many troubles.

Oh ok I'll be sure not to go to the MAIN DOOR on that map from now on...really!? Did you really just say don't go somewhere you are supposed to be on a map? :lol

Don't defend Glacier.

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh ok I'll be sure not to go to the MAIN DOOR on that map from now on...really!? Did you really just say don't go somewhere you are supposed to be on a map? :lol

Don't defend Glacier.
I'm not necessarily defending it, just offering advice to make it a little more enjoyable when you're stuck playing on it. Take it for what you will.

Louis Wu

xxjuicesxx said:

Don't defend Glacier.
I love Glacier when I'm playing Sniperfight Score Attack.

I go down to the bottom of the map; I rarely get slowdowns, and I get to practice my sniping without pesky enemies shooting back at me. :lol (If I take too long to kill 'em, sure, they get close enough to shoot - but I get more Perfections in that game variant than any other these days.)

Louis Wu said:

I go down to the bottom of the map; I rarely get slowdowns, and I get to practice my sniping without pesky enemies shooting back at me. :lol (If I take too long to kill 'em, sure, they get close enough to shoot - but I get more Perfections in that game variant than any other these days.)
I'll have to try that; I normally don't go down there unless I'm playing hide-and-seek with the last couple of enemies to run down the clock to get the max amount of Cr. There really needs to be a time bonus for finishing Score Attack early.

Sooo it turns out the answer to my 'what's the point of FF Arcade' was actually that it has different play modes i.e. Nadefight, Fistfight, etc. Why didn't anyone say so yesterday! I had a match of fistfight on Glacier and it was the most fun I've had with the game in a long time. Fending off the bonus round of countless skirmishers with an FRC is epic. That mode is seriously fun and I know how I'm doing my FF challenges now. The pace of 15 minutes with the weapons thrown in the mix is brilliant, the match flies by so quickly and it's structured in a way that everyone does well and has a good time. I will say that nadefight really dissapointed me. I somehow talked myself into believing you had infinite plasma grenades and all the enemies were grunts and jackals. Oh man would that have been a fun change of pace.

GG's Nutters and Ram, besides that match in Reflection where he decided to be the invisible man for 12 minutes :|

Uhhh yeah, I really hope Firefight Arcade becomes a permanent playlist. I don't see it happening unfortunately, but it'd be nice if it was.

I had so much fun playing it with my buddies last night, it was like a breath of fresh air. :lol

edit... Arcade.... not Versus..

ShinAmano

Louis Wu said:

Yeah that is pretty much a guaranteed way to get that elusive commendation.

ElRenoRaven

7echnicolor said:
Uhhh yeah, I really hope Firefight Arcade becomes a permanent playlist. I don't see it happening unfortunately, but it'd be nice if it was.

I had so much fun playing it with my buddies last night, it was like a breath of fresh air. :lol

edit... Arcade.... not Versus..

It damn well should be. I just hope to god someone from Bungie can put in the word for the fans here and say keep it.

GhaleonEB

My daughter romping through Nade Fight right now: "I love this game type. This can't be temporary."

(Seems quite popular, going by the b.net listing.)

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter romping through Nade Fight right now: "I love this game type. This can't be temporary."

What are the issues with leaving up the playlist? I don't know what the harm would be with more choices.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ShinAmano said:
What are the issues with leaving up the playlist? I don't know what the harm would be with more choices.

I think it's more of an experiment. Stick up some wild gametypes and see how the community reacts, a bit like the Community playlist. I imagine they'll be making longer term plans when they see a response in terms of both active users, voting data and online community reaction.

Right now folks are saying it's the mutt's nuts, so I imagine we'll be seeing more of it in future.

Imagine if the reception was the other way and it wasn't a temporary playlist, folks would be up in arms with complaints. They're just playing it safe at the moment. Halo fans can be cranky and quick to sour.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

Lars for President!

He dropped by on the way to his desk and he seemed pretty happy with the reception. If it lasts, I'm sure he'd consider adding it to the permanent rotation.

Top Bottom