• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
Magic is not there for most people, questionable design/balance decisions all over the place, no huge title update in sight... people are moving on.

I've actually moved BACK, as in backwards, I've been playing Gears 2. :lol

kylej said:
When half of my hardcore (thousands and thousands of hours of Halo 2&3) friends ask me every day to buy Black Ops I know there's a problem.

When I think I might do it tonight, that's real bad.

When you do, lemme know, you have my FAL! :D

GhaleonEB

cool_dude_2049 said:
I'm curious as to how many assassinations you all have. That has got to be one of the more difficult commendations. I'm at 582
Five, and those were accidental. I always just go for the back smack.

GhaleonEB said:
I played a game of Fistfight last night where two Elites with sniper rifles were perched up on the high side of Corvette, an Engineer floating nearby, just donging on everyone. We'd come barrelling out of the doors and bodies would just hit the floor. The bastards were spawn camping!

I'll need to chase down a moment from a Fistfight game on Courtyard (which might be the greatest thing I've seen in Firefight so far) last night. I was over on the right hand side when a new wave started - and three packs of Elites with DRMs and sniper rifles spawned around me. When I dropped, there were literally about 10 tracer lines going through by body. :lol

My suggested tweaks:

1) Combine Rocketfight and FRGfight into one, as the distinction between how they play is minimal. Provide a mix of loadouts with either the FRG or rockets and different secondary weapons.

2) Dis
able weapon pick ups for all Arcade game types. They all turn into RPGfight at some point.

This right here. Yup yup yup! That's my biggest problem with the new playlist. Otherwise, it's so, so good.

GhaleonEB

cool_dude_2049 said:
You're missing out. Nothing is more satisfying than dominating another through assassination.
Actually, I find "Yoink" much more satisfying. Which is why I deny others the opportunity to get one from me. That's my kind of assholery.

The assasinations don't really do anything for me, which is why I like that they're optional. To me they're just another way to slow the gameplay down, and Reach has enough of that as it is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Actually, I find "Yoink" much more satisfying. Which is why I deny others the opportunity to get one from me. That's my kind of assholery.

The assasinations don't really do anything for me, which is why I like that they're optional. To me they're just another way to slow the gameplay down, and Reach has enough of that as it is.

Yep, teabag is still where it's at. Assassinations simply show you lack self control and are willing to put yourself/team in harms way.

Backsmack or you're a noob, then if you REALLY mean it teabag.

Alienshogun said:
Yep, teabag is still where it's at. Assassinations simply show you lack self control and are willing to put yourself/team in harms way.

Backsmack or you're a noob, then if you REALLY mean it teabag.

If you are one of those dumbfucks that thinks it's a good idea to assassinate someone in the hill during multiteam, then I agree with you. I'm not saying that assassinations are needed all the time, but at certain key locations, it is very satisfying.

feel

GhaleonEB said:

I don't like the feel of the animated assassinations at all, it's just odd how both players stop dead on their tracks and one of them just stands there all dizzy waiting to get murdered. Punching an enemy on the back of the head and seeing him faceplant in real time feels way more satisfying for me.

And I hate when teammates waste time doing assassinations in critical situations when I need their help. I appreciate how in MLG assassinations are frowned upon and you get them yoinked if you do them in front on teammates just so that you stop doing them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
cool_dude_2049 said:
If you are one of those dumbfucks that thinks it's a good idea to assassinate someone in the hill during multiteam, then I agree with you. I'm not saying that assassinations are needed all the time, but at certain key locations, it is very satisfying.

No, in any situation, in the time it takes you to assassinate you could be done with that kill and on to the next to support the rest of your team.

I'm not saying it doesn't "feel awesome" I'm saying if you're playing to win, and you assassinate you're an idiot.

Magni

What's the point of voting "None of the above" when I get Glacier to get Glacier again?

What's the point of Fistfight if all my teammates pick up FRGs?

It's fun, but it's FAR from perfect.

Alienshogun said:
No, in any situation, in the time it takes you to assassinate you could be done with that kill and on to the next to support the rest of your team.

I'm not saying it doesn't "feel awesome" I'm saying if you're playing to win, and you assassinate you're an idiot.

You sound like one of those "Win or die trying" kind of gamers. I'm not saying that I don't play to win; I just like to have fun along the way.

Striker

Alienshogun said:

How is cool_dude feeling assassinations are safisfying any different than you getting that for teabagging? Both take seconds away from the game at hand, no matter where you're at on the map.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
How is cool_dude feeling assassinations are safisfying any different than you getting that for teabagging? Both take seconds away from the game at hand, no matter where you're at on the map.

1. Teabagging is quicker.

2. You don't HAVE to teabag, once you're in an assassination you're in it.

3. Teabagging allows you freedom of movement while doing it, assassinations don't.

Alienshogun said:
You also play MT mostly, which inevitably ends up being one big assassination train. :lol

Conga line!

bobs99 ... said:
Really!??

I remember Halo 3 being at its peak during 2008, im pretty sure even much later than that it had something insane like 50K people in Team Slayer most times?

Yea, I don''t think how the games report playlist population is the same. I just booted up H3, and I found that about 11k people were playing Team slayer (Ranked + Unranked), Team Slayer in reach is currently sitting at 9k, though Reach's mathmaking population is 5x larger. That's a pretty damn drastic difference.

I know there are some mitigating factors (IE, Reach has more playlists, Reach has challenges and a new FF playlist today) so the math isn't perfect but it seems that the reporting systems of Reach and H3 are pretty different.

Teabagging may be quicker, but it can be avioded by the player by switching the camera to another teammate or something. If you are getting assassinated, you have no choice but to see yourself getting penetrated with a knife.

MIMIC

Banned
I've never understood the point of assassinations. I'm not against them or anything but I hate them for the time it takes away: you're "dying" longer (it comes with a mini-suicide time penalty with the extra animation) and like Alienshogun said, you could be onto another kill.

I didn't even know how to assassinate someone until I was going through the achievements (after having spent a pretty good deal in matchmaking already, lol). In fact, I think the only assassination I have is the one for the achievement.

I get assassinated all the time though. It's really annoying. :lol "Just kill me, dammit!"

MrBig

cool_dude_2049 said:
Teabagging may be quicker, but it can be avioded by the player by switching the camera to another teammate or something. If you are getting assassinated, you have no choice but to see yourself getting penetrated with a knife.
Speaking of which, how did the death cam ever pass through the bug tests? If a player dies and you switch to them you can't see shit.

cool_dude_2049 said:
Nothing is more satisfying than dominating another through assassination.

Joe Stalin? Is that you?

I like assassinations but wish you could toggle them off. No matter how lightly I tap the button it seems that 1 out of 25 times I still go into an animation.

P.S. If Halo 4 has evade and active camo then it better also have medals for using them.

Examples:

Boo! - Kill an opponent moments after disengaging active camo.
Surprise! - Kill an opponent moments after evading.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I accidentally assassinate all the time. It's really annoying, I guess I just hold the melee for a split second too long and then I'm locked into this animation.

MrBig

My player model decided to update again while I was doing the CE comparison
playermodel.png

It looks so much better without the shitty grunge detail map they applied to everything in the game.

ShinAmano

cool_dude_2049 said:
I'm curious as to how many assassinations you all have. That has got to be one of the more difficult commendations. I'm at 582
I still have to say the Perfectionist one for firefight is one of the toughest.

Booties said:
I'm probably just going to get black ops soon too. Here is a real good perfection somebody on SomethingAwful got yesterday. Pretty much the reason I can't stand this game at all.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342172&pagenumber=371#post386834454

direct link for ya:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/F...ayer=empathe360

From what I saw this guy used armour lock a fair bit, but to be honest I sort of liked his use of it, he didnt just run at the enemies, then armour lock to simply slow the game down. He anticipated a nade coming from distance and simply armour locked to avoid the nade. I would say this sucks, but quite frankly the Reach nades suck more, and so using armour lock to directly negate a nade in this way seems alright. While watching the video, I couldn't figure out where that first nade coming at him landed - I think thats a big reason why nades in Reach are a little overbearing, a lot of the time you cant really work out where they land to know where to go to dodge them - or maybe im dodging them and theyre sheer range is still getting me?

Then again, I haven't got the patience to watch an entire video, wanna sum up the good/ bad parts? Does his armour lock usage get annoying?

Yeah, I got a game on that new playlist and loved it. Great job lars.

I will hopefully have 20mgs of a connection tomorrow. Any other news round these parts? I have been swamped at work these days... Speaking of which, how can I browse Gaf at work?

bobs99 ... said:
From what I saw this guy used armour lock a fair bit, but to be honest I sort of liked his use of it, he didnt just run at the enemies, then armour lock to simply slow the game down. He anticipated a nade coming from distance and simply armour locked to avoid the nade. I would say this sucks, but quite frankly the Reach nades suck more, and so using armour lock to directly negate a nade in this way seems alright. While watching the video, I couldn't figure out where that first nade coming at him landed - I think thats a big reason why nades in Reach are a little overbearing, a lot of the time you cant really work out where they land to know where to go to dodge them.

Then again, I haven't got the patience to watch an entire video, wanna sum up the good/ bad parts? Does his armour lock usage get annoying?

He has one seriously bullshit moment where he's about to get gangbanged by two guys, Armour locks, then a team-mates nade takes em both out right before he would have been killed.

Edit: also, Popped in H3 when I was looking at numbers to compare populations, and I have to say, I enjoy that games approach to grenades more than Reach's. Short Fuse + Tight blast Radius + high friction actually works really well to make nice accurate nades.

BR and movement physics actually made me really miss reach though.

ShinAmano

cool_dude_2049 said:
Not in some of the Firefight Arcade matches. There is so much quick destruction that there is no time for death.
Hmmm...I only really like the fistfight...and surviving a round on that is pretty tough.

Arnie

Not surprised people have ditched Reach to an extent, it's fun but nowhere near as fun as previous Halo games in my opinion, for a wide variety of factors.

They didn't listen to the hardcore community and instead tried to appease the casual with Reach. The ranking system alone (or lack thereof) is enough for most of my friends to ditch the game, people who regarded Halo 2 and 3's ranking system as one of the best in any game, ever. It has much more effect on the dedication people put into the game than an Armour piece or a firefight voice. The Melee and grenades are sloppy too, with the latter in particular ruining the game significantly. No skill, just an easy throw with minimal bounce and a ginormous blast radius. No fun. Then throw in Armour Lock, Movement Speed, Jump Height, Shitty Maps, and the failure that is Arena and you have yourselves a sinking ship.

I mean I'll continue to try and play MLG for now, until that 500 population dwindles to the point where I'm matched with shitty connections every game(It's already begun).

BRING BACK THE NUMBERED RANKING.
RAISE THE BASE MOVEMENT SPEED.
NUKE FORGEWORLD FROM ORBIT.
HIRE ARNIE.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Arnie said:
Not surprised people have ditched Reach to an extent, it's fun but nowhere near as fun as previous Halo games in my opinion, for a wide variety of factors.

They didn't listen to the hardcore community and instead tried to appease the casual with Reach.

The same thing was said about Halo 3 around here. :lol

Funny that, isn't it?

vhfive

Arnie said:

They didn't listen to the hardcore community and instead tried to appease the casual with Reach. The ranking system alone (or lack thereof) is enough for most of my friends to ditch the game, people who regarded Halo 2 and 3's ranking system as one of the best in any game, ever. It has much more effect on the dedication people put into the game than an Armour piece or a firefight voice. The Melee and grenades are sloppy too, with the latter in particular ruining the game significantly. No skill, just an easy throw with minimal bounce and a ginormous blast radius. No fun. Then throw in Armour Lock, Movement Speed, Jump Height, Shitty Maps, and the failure that is Arena and you have yourselves a sinking ship.

I mean I'll continue to try and play MLG for now, until that 500 population dwindles to the point where I'm matched with shitty connections every game(It's already begun).

BRING BACK THE NUMBERED RANKING.
RAISE THE BASE MOVEMENT SPEED.
NUKE FORGEWORLD FROM ORBIT.
HIRE ARNIE.
These are the reasons why you rarely see me playing this game any more. I find MLG fun but all my friends moved from halo to blops so I moved with them.

Striker

Arnie said:
Then throw in Armour Lock, Movement Speed, Jump Height, Shitty Maps, and the failure that is Arena and you have yourselves a sinking ship.
You could make the same argument for the hardcore Halo 2 fans who finally got Halo 3 in their system.

Equipment that slowed down the game + removed hitscan
Slower movement base speed
Floaty moon jumps
Shitty maps
Erroneous, unchallenged number-ranking system so you'll often see 50's

Arnie

Dani said:
The same thing was said about Halo 3 around here. :lol

Funny that, isn't it?
Despite the similarities I think it's pretty clear that the jump from 3 to Reach is much more substantial from a gameplay perspective than anything seen previously. And the player base has clearly acknowledged this too.

I still play the game, and will probably until I get my Gold Visor, but there is no draw to keep me returning like there was in the previous games. Non of my Halo fanatic friends play Reach, there's no skill based ranking system, the game wastes my time with either a game too laggy to enjoy or a bunch of teammates wildly below my skill level, undermining my efforts. Not to mention I find vanilla settings to be insufferable so I'm confined to a slowly dying MLG playlist.

Halo 2 is probably my least favorite halo, but it's probably the one I have the fondest memories of, probably because it's the only online game EVERYONE I knew played. Having my College friends, internet friends, and growing up friends all playing in one game meant there was always a custom game or matchmaking party to hop in on. Also, plugging into dorm room wall to find a lan game was always great.

Reach > 3 > 2

All of them have warts, though 3 was probably the most polished at launch, but it was the least ambitious multiplayer offering. 2 was a trailblazer, but over time it became harder and harder to overlook it's glitches, tremendous amount of Auto Aim, and super rediculous snipers.

Top Bottom