• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

urk said:
Lars for President!

He dropped by on the way to his desk and he seemed pretty happy with the reception. If it lasts, I'm sure he'd consider adding it to the permanent rotation.
Good to hear. And yeah, he knocked this one out of the park. I was in the "it'll be fun for a bit" camp and then I played it. It's a well crafted chaos.

ElRenoRaven

urk said:
Lars for President!

He dropped by on the way to his desk and he seemed pretty happy with the reception. If it lasts, I'm sure he'd consider adding it to the permanent rotation.

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!!

Pete Rock

GhaleonEB said:
Lars is a genius in the mad scientist sort of way, which is just my type.
Basically, I'm excited to see the new FF offerings but I really just need some more readily available Rocket Race, which is what originally turned me onto the madcap genius of the thug :D

What if any plans are there for the Forgetac stuffs? I'd like to know if they are going to do anything with all the race submissions as well, seeing as how the solo race/rallies are not even available in rumble pit anymore. Poor Halo/Battletracks fans :(

We need more vehicular shenanigans in matchmaking, this is bumming me out.

Dani said:
I think it's more of an experiment. Stick up some wild gametypes and see how the community reacts, a bit like the Community playlist. I imagine they'll be making longer term plans when they see a response in terms of both active users, voting data and online community reaction.

Right now folks are saying it's the mutt's nuts, so I imagine we'll be seeing more of it in future.

Imagine if the reception was the other way and it wasn't a temporary playlist, folks would be up in arms with complaints. They're just playing it safe at the moment. Halo fans can be cranky and quick to sour.

HOW DARE YOU!??

:p

I only had the chance to play 1 game of arcade Firefight (Nadefight) and it was awesome - if I had the time I would be playing this playlist a hell of a lot! Lars for president!

Lars(I'm a Lars too but I havent that power) should add "Vidmaster" into FF matchmaking.
I really want to play FF Arcade. Add it to Score Attack.

--------

Week 2 | Gametype: Vidmaster [First Place: 77,777 cR]

The Rules:

• Legendary Only.
  • Solo: Corvette (preferred), Waterfront only | 4 Players: Waterfront, Holdout only.
  • Just you, your Magnum, 4 of every grenade, and a whole lot of Covenant. There's more to Halo's weapons than a DMR and Magnum. Experiment.
  • 15 lives.
  • No defense play. Keep on moving. Don't hide behind cover so your shields can recharge. If you're hit, run so you don't get hit again. Exception to this rule: any wave with Skirmishers.
  • Must be online when attempting the challenge. Also, please provide a link to a saved film (don't have to render it). Don't be boring.
  • Style counts. Multikills, assassinations, sticks, you name it. The flashier, the better.

Options:
  • You can either play Solo, or in a party of 4. Player with most points in 4 Player will get combined score.
  • For extra difficulty (why?), you can play melee only, no hits from Grunts (or try to not get hit at all), and/or no health packs.
______

Week 1 Results

YOU STILL HAVE SOME TIME!

Hey You

ShinAmano said:
Awhhh...had to post that with the Marathon symbol...damn you Bungie why is it not selectable in reach!?
My guess is Bungie didn't want something from a IP they own (Marathon) in someone elses IP (Halo).

I can't believe they still haven't fixed the cliffs on Asylum that people camp on in Living Dead. Was hoping to get some easy CQC kills yesterday for the daily but that's some insta-quit shit.

MrBig

Barrow Roll said:
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the cliffs on Asylum that people camp on in Living Dead. Was hoping to get some easy CQC kills yesterday for the daily but that's some insta-quit shit.
I mean really, it would take them 30 seconds to load up each map and place a sky barrier or even just lower the safe zone. It's omni effective in preventing shit like that. They just don't want to do it.

GhaleonEB

My daughter has been saving up credits to get the Cortana Firefight voice. She's been saving up since she first started playing, and I got her a Gold account so she could play online and get the Challenges. After a (spectacular) game of Fistfight, she finally has enough, and is playing her first game with Cortana commenting now.

Pretty neat to see her work toward something for a couple months, and finally get it. And in a gametype she's playing lots of, because of how much fun it is. (Obviously, the MP stuff she dabbles in lightly. The Arcade playlist was made for her.)

Edit: hilarious moment just now. Sniperfight on Glacier. One of the four of them went down to the bottom of the hill, Natalie and the other two are up top near the base. And Heretics came out, mostly with sniper rifles. Just now, one of the Heretics was standing right among the other three players, sniping the other dude at the bottom of the hill. But no one noticed him because they thought he was one of them. Dude stood there sniping away for a good 10 seconds or so while everyone danced around him. :lol

J-Roderton

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter has been saving up credits to get the Cortana Firefight voice. She's been saving up since she first started playing, and I got her a Gold account so she could play online and get the Challenges. After a (spectacular) game of Fistfight, she finally has enough, and is playing her first game with Cortana commenting now.

Pretty neat to see her work toward something for a couple months, and finally get it. And in a gametype she's playing lots of, because of how much fun it is. (Obviously, the MP stuff she dabbles in lightly. The Arcade playlist was made for her.)

Awesome. Just more reason to keep the playlist.

kylej

Banned
Um, when will Bungie address default Reflection rocket placement? It's completely broken. Red gets first rocks every time in Arena.

pakkit

Banned
kylej said:
Um, when will Bungie address default Reflection rocket placement? It's completely broken. Red gets first rocks every time in Arena.
Better question: why are rockets in the Arena gametype?

They removed sword...but not rockets.

zumphry

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Awhhh...had to post that with the Marathon symbol...damn you Bungie why is it not selectable in reach!?

I feel your pain. I try to squint my eyes at my emblem (Dreamcatcher with Valkyrie toggled) to make it look like the Marathon emblem, but it's not the same.

Oh well.

Hey You said:
My guess is Bungie didn't want something from a IP they own (Marathon) in someone elses IP (Halo).

Yep.

Though, I wonder if Hawk/Cobra are Bungie's and they let Rooster Teeth sell them on their shirts, or if 343i owns that and let RT sell them on their shirts. Or if RT owns them now, and sells them on their shirts. Always did want them to come back as the Red/Blue team symbols after Halo 3 didn't have them...

Also talking about RT, new Achievement Horse is up.

Hypertrooper said:
Lars(I'm a Lars too but I havent that power) should add "Vidmaster" into FF matchmaking.
I really want to play FF Arcade. Add it to Score Attack.

The only playlist it would fit in would be "Play This If You Hate Yourself (No Not Phantom Pistols on Waterworks)".

Oh, and my first go at the Challenge: 26,076|Film

Apath

Holy shit! After about four months, my profile finally updated my Spartan!:
playermodel.ashx

Attention NON-US Based Forgers!

Looking to get some clips together of a bunch of awesome GAF maps for a showcase video I'm going to put together. I figured it'd be fun to show all the awesomeness that we weren't allowed to enter into the Forgetacular competition. If you're interested, please sling me a PM with a link to some clips, your Gamertag and the map name.

If you're stuck on what would make for a few good clips, just send me a saved film of a game on your map, and I'll take care of the rest.

I will fund all the rendering for this, so what have you got to lose?

*fully expects no interest whatsoever*

:)

Sikamikanico said:

Looking to get some clips together of a bunch of awesome GAF maps for a showcase video I'm going to put together. I figured it'd be fun to show all the awesomeness that we weren't allowed to enter into the Forgetacular competition. If you're interested, please sling me a PM with a link to some clips, your Gamertag and the map name.

If you're stuck on what would make for a few good clips, just send me a saved film of a game on your map, and I'll take care of the rest.

Wow, awesome idea sir, I heartidly approve.

Unfortunately not a forger myself, but hope this works out.

ShinAmano

Easy challenges today.

Thoughts on FFA:

First off Fistfight is incredible.

Plasmafight is pretty weak as is FRGfight...not sure if I tried the others, but Fistfight makes up for the others. I also like the elites using human weapons...kind of intimidating and scary but awesome at the same time.

feel

xxjuicesxx said:
30k people on? WTF?! Some playlists have like 100-300 people... this is terrible.
Magic is not there for most people, questionable design/balance decisions all over the place, no huge title update in sight... people are moving on.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
30k people on? WTF?! Some playlists have like 100-300 people... this is terrible.

When half of my hardcore (thousands and thousands of hours of Halo 2&3) friends ask me every day to buy Black Ops I know there's a problem.

When I think I might do it tonight, that's real bad.

Letters said:
Magic is not there for most people, questionable design/balance decisions all over the place, no huge title update in sight... people are moving on.

Yet the total population of the game is still slightly higher than Halo 3's at this point in it's lifespan.

Funny how that works out?

Numbers are jumping now! almost 50k on.

I need some of HaloGAF to play this game with me.

Ughh this is depressing.

Reach streams outnumbered on JTV and Ustream.

Sai-kun

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I also like the elites using human weapons...kind of intimidating and scary but awesome at the same time.

Oh my god, this.

I was playing Arcade with my roommate who hadn't touched it yet, and he said of Elites with human weapons:

"Did you guys just shoot me? Where'd you get the DMR--Is that an Elite? What is he holding? WHAT THE FUCK?! Did he just headshot me? Does he have a sniper?! WHY DOES HE HAVE A SNIPER?! *respawns and runs out, only to be almost immediately killed* THIS IS HORRIFYING!"

:lol I was dying. Elites with Snipers are absolutely terrifying.

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
Oh my god, this.

I was playing Arcade with my roommate who hadn't touched it yet, and he said of Elites with human weapons:

"Did you guys just shoot me? Where'd you get the DMR--Is that an Elite? What is he holding? WHAT THE FUCK?! Did he just headshot me? Does he have a sniper?! WHY DOES HE HAVE A SNIPER?! *respawns and runs out, only to be almost immediately killed* THIS IS HORRIFYING!"

:lol I was dying. Elites with Snipers are absolutely terrifying.
I played a game of Fistfight last night where two Elites with sniper rifles were perched up on the high side of Corvette, an Engineer floating nearby, just donging on everyone. We'd come barrelling out of the doors and bodies would just hit the floor. The bastards were spawn camping!

I'll need to chase down a moment from a Fistfight game on Courtyard (which might be the greatest thing I've seen in Firefight so far) last night. I was over on the right hand side when a new wave started - and three packs of Elites with DRMs and sniper rifles spawned around me. When I dropped, there were literally about 10 tracer lines going through by body. :lol

My suggested tweaks:

1) Combine Rocketfight and FRGfight into one, as the distinction between how they play is minimal. Provide a mix of loadouts with either the FRG or rockets and different secondary weapons.

2) Disable weapon pick ups for all Arcade game types. They all turn into FRGfight at some point.

feel

electricpirate said:
Yet the total population of the game is still slightly higher than Halo 3's at this point in it's lifespan.

I thought it was doing inferior numbers, it's not that bad then, Halo 3 was always healthy, and to this day with Reach out one can still find games really fast, at least in the slayer playlists.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
I'll need to chase down a moment from a Fistfight game on Courtyard (which might be the greatest thing I've seen in Firefight so far) last night. I was over on the right hand side when a new wave started - and three packs of Elites with DRMs and sniper rifles spawned around me. When I dropped, there were literally about 10 tracer lines going through by body. :lol
I had one on Overlook in fistfight where I don't know how many Elites spawned directly in front of me (I would guess 15-25) with all human weapons...HOLY SHIT! Went to town with the hammer but did not last long.

electricpirate said:

Really!??

I remember Halo 3 being at its peak during 2008, im pretty sure even much later than that it had something insane like 50K people in Team Slayer most times?

Letters said:
I thought it was doing inferior numbers, it's not that bad then, Halo 3 was always healthy, and to this day with Reach out one can still find games really fast, at least in the slayer playlists.

In game Halo 3 reports population as a rolling 24 hour average, but in Reach they report the actual count at that moment. That's given people the impression that Reach's playerbase has dropped dramatically. Also, the player base fragmentation is a little different due to the prescense of Co-op modes, and invasion.

A better indicator of population is to check the rolling 24 hour indicator at B.net, which puts Reach at about 850k players per day, or use MetaHalo to get a graph of that http://www.metahalo.com/population/

I remember H3 being around 600-700k at this point, and H2 being around 300-400, but I'm getting old and my memory sucks. 2 months Urk stated that Reach had a slower rate of Attrition than H3 did, and a higher initial player base, so that would probably be right in line, considering sales numbers of the two titles have been similar.

Interestingly, Halo 3 is still going strong with 120k users per day according to Meta Halo, I wonder what H2's numbers were like when H3 hit?

Ramirez

Sikamikanico said:

I'm sure all of those maps would be just as awesome as the ones in there right now.

not awesome at all

Raide

Sikamikanico said:

I will have a hunt around some of my older maps. Not forged in ages. Really need to get back into it.

Top Bottom