• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
Fuck, got disconnected in game twice now. Internet is fine but it won't let me stay in a game what the what. Sorry for that.
Don't worry about it, my connection was like that the last couple days, seems to be fine now.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
*rampant gunfire*

*armor lock*

*silence as everyone wait for armor locker*

*rampant gunfire as he comes out of armor lock*

Good stuff.

That's Halo: Reach for ya.

Edit:

Shootin' and Lootin' - 1000cR

Kill 100 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Satisfied Thirst - 1000cR

Kill 100 Grunts in Firefight Matchmaking.

Triple Thrill - 2000cR

Earn any 3 Sprees in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Not as Clusmy or Random... - 1000cR
Earn 5 kills with precision weapons in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

And the Weekly

Camp Froman, Indeed - 11000cR

Earn 500 kills with Precision weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Swat week

GhaleonEB

Weak Weekly, alas. Was hoping for something unique again.

Edit: I'm just grumpy it's another MP for the second week in a row, I was hoping for a FF with the new playlists hitting. It's been seven weeks without a Firefight weekly now.

A little late to the party, but the matchmaking updates sound pretty great with some minor exceptions. I really couldn't care less about Rocket Race, but to remove it completely from matchmaking is a huge slap in the face to the fans who absolutely love the gametype. It will be very interesting to see how multi-team runs now.

Bro-Slayer and the new Invasion gametypes have me actually excited to play some matchmaking, which I've always seen as a pretty big chore in Reach. Very interested to see Uncaged as well, although I don't get why you'd make improvements to a map and still keep the previous version in matchmaking. Bungie just likes making us suffer, I'm sure.

Gui_PT said:
That's Halo: Reach for ya.

Edit:

Shootin' and Lootin' - 1000cR

Kill 100 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Satisfied Thirst - 1000cR

Kill 100 Grunts in Firefight Matchmaking.

Triple Thrill - 2000cR

Earn any 3 Sprees in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Not as Clusmy or Random... - 1000cR
Earn 5 kills with precision weapons in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

And the Weekly

Camp Froman, Indeed - 11000cR

Earn 500 kills with Precision weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Swat week

Man, low cR for dailies yet again. At least all of them can be completed by doing one match of gruntpoc and one MP match. Great weekly, actually allows me to play what I want to play and won't require a copious amount of playing time.

I finally finished Halo:Cryptum, had some time to kill on plane rides.

Non-spoiler review:

The end of the book is simply phenomenal. There are a lot of sentences that give SO much information while simultaneously going about the plot that it gets hard to keep up. I'm definitely going to read it again though. I am amazed at the level of detail, and this book alone has revitalized my thirst for Halo lore. I am usually very skeptical, and when I had heard of the book's release, I thought to myself, "what on earth could be so interesting about the forerunners and their plight? 343 has a long way to go to impress me with more Halo stuff."

I stand corrected in my criticism. Simply a great read, and full of life and vitality that the Halo franchise needed IMO. I would give the book 9/10, simply because the author's style and pacing takes some getting used to in the beginning.

I posted my questions and SPOILERIFIC thoughts on the ending of the book in the OT here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25825963&postcount=158

Major Williams said:
I finally finished Halo:Cryptum, had some time to kill on plane rides.

Non-spoiler review:

The end of the book is simply phenomenal. There are a lot of sentences that give SO much information while simultaneously going about the plot that it gets hard to keep up. I'm definitely going to read it again though. I am amazed at the level of detail, and this book alone has revitalized my thirst for Halo lore. I am usually very skeptical, and when I had heard of the book's release, I thought to myself, "what on earth could be so interesting about the forerunners and their plight? 343 has a long way to go to impress me with more Halo stuff."

I stand corrected in my criticism. Simply a great read, and full of life and vitality that the Halo franchise needed IMO. I would give the book 9/10, simply because the author's style and pacing takes some getting used to in the beginning.

I posted my questions and SPOILERIFIC thoughts on the ending of the book in the OT here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25825963&postcount=158
Why are you posting this? WHY! I've two books to read right now(Cryptum and a biography about Albert Einstein). I chose the biography but now I want to start Cryptum. ARGH!

Keikoku

Banned
Dax01 said:
They already are.

Really ? I never had one on rumble pit or team slayer. But hey I only played the game for something like 5 hours since I have the DLC. Thanks for the info anyway.

GhaleonEB

Keikoku said:
Which weapons are precision exactly ?
Also, when are the DLC map going to be included in the regular playlists ?
DMR, Needle Rifle, Sniper Rifle.

For a long time I thought the pistol was as well, but it's classified as a sidearm. If the Challenge is set up to register on headshots, it will work; if it's tied to the precision weapon class, the pistol won't work.

Keikoku said:
Really ? I never had one on rumble pit or team slayer. But hey I only played the game for something like 5 hours since I have the DLC. Thanks for the info anyway.

I think Anchor 9 is the only one that would likely show up in those playlists. Since the other two are much bigger, I've definitely had them show up in BTB and Invasion.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
Why are you posting this? WHY! I've two books to read right now(Cryptum and a biography about Albert Einstein). I chose the biography but now I want to start Cryptum. ARGH!

Reads Einstein biography first.

photo_14_hires.jpg

He chose...poorly.

grailknight.jpg

Edited for maximum meme clarity.

Keikoku said:
You can play them if everyone in the lobby have the maps.

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
Haha, I've seen a bit of his Episode I review. It was fucking hilarious.

Well watch the other ones, foo'.

Actually, everyone here should watch them. They're really good reviews.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Well watch the other ones, foo'.

Actually, everyone here should watch them. They're really good reviews.
Aye, I haven't even seen all of TNG Star Trek movies and they were hilarious. I thought his (new) Star Trek review was spot-on.

The Star Wars reviews are more entertaining than the movies themselves were.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:
Wow, it is shocking how many good maps there are out there... And how FEW have been implemented into MM. It has been long enough now, there is no excuse for only two (?) community maps being fully injected into MM.

There's 14 community maps going live tomorrow in the community hopper. Winners from the Forgetacular competition and more. Next month will see more plus a few from the Community Cartographers if all goes well. The community hopper is a testbed for these maps before they go into proper matchmaking. Maps that will go into MM proper need to be good and popular, so data from the community hopper and other feedback sources will be used to gauge if players like them.

There are two HaloGAF folks with maps going up maybe next month or the next.

It's taken a while to set up due the Forgetacular competition, but the wheels are in motion. MLG and Griffball will automatically update their own playlists with community maps as they see fit while Bungie is being very pro-active in their regard.

Bungie are well ahead of the curve compared with Halo 3's community maps and you'll be tasting the fruits shortly, if you haven't already. =)

Dani said:
There's 14 community maps going live tomorrow in the community hopper. Winners from the Forgetacular competition and more. Next month will see more plus a few from the Community Cartographers if all goes well. The community hopper is a testbed for these maps before they go into proper matchmaking. Maps that will go into MM proper need to be good and popular, so data from the community hopper and other feedback sources will be used to gauge if players like them.

It's taken a while to set up due the Forgetacular competition, but the wheels are in motion. MLG and Griffball will automatically update their own playlists with community maps as they see fit while Bungie is being very pro-active in their regard.

Bungie are well ahead of the curve compared with Halo 3's community maps and you'll be tasting the fruits shortly, if you haven't already. =)

Any feedback on Kingdom yet?

Raide

Dani said:

A thing of beauty. Its great to see Community Maps actually making it into Reach. Hopefully this is a foreshadow for how they want their next game to flourish.

GhaleonEB

Sikamikanico said:
Any feedback on Kingdom yet?
General feedback but nothing specific to kick back to you. Reception has been positive.

Actually, I take that back. There was a question about the railings along the edges in the corners of the map. There's a ramp in all four corners up to the platform, and a railing along the edge. On three of the corners, you can crouch jump over the railings. On one, you can't. Were they intended to be jump-able? I noticed they were sunk down two clicks, which I assume was to facilitate the jump. All four are at the same height, so I can't quite figure why they're not all clearable.

Here's a shot of the area I'm talking about.
Raide said:
Is the COMMUNITY CARTOGRAPHERS group on Bungie.net a private thing or can any Forger join?
Private, invite-only. That's the group that Bungie has put together comprising some representatives from several communities around the web to help funnel maps to them for consideration in matchmaking. There are generally two reps from each group, from communities like Forge Hub, HBO, and GAF; Dani and I are representing GAF.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
General feedback but nothing specific to kick back to you. Reception has been positive.

Edit: Thanks :D

Just wondering who I should pester to get some feedback. I tweaked Trapped v2 again, mainly due to feedback from ForgeGAF. Wondering if I can get a bit more so I can actually put the map to rest.

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Edit: Thanks :D

Just wondering who I should pester to get some feedback. I tweaked Trapped v2 again, mainly due to feedback from ForgeGAF. Wondering if I can get a bit more so I can actually put the map to rest.
Post the link to the map here or in the ForgeGAF thread, and it will get tested in either or both custom sessions each Saturday. Dani and I post what we can for each map, and others do as well. The ForgeGAF guys have been rocking it. We try to queue up maps that get posted over the course of the week for customs each Saturday, and play them as time, party size and willingness allows (last week everyone got sick of Forge World maps early on, though we toggled back to them anyways).

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Post the link to the map here or in the ForgeGAF thread, and it will get tested in either or both custom sessions each Saturday. The ForgeGAF guys have a good flow of feedback going and Dani and I post what we can from each as well. We try to queue up maps that get posted over the course of the week for customs each Saturday, and play them as time, party size and willingness allows (last week everyone got sick of Forge World maps early on, though we toggled back to them anyways).

I got some great feedback last week, which made me brutally murder my team bases. They are much more streamlined. :D

Link below if anyone fancies having a quick run around to let me know what they feel about the flow and any further changes. It seems to be more about subtle tweaks to refine it currently. Only basic spawns in but I have a nice bit of paper with my spawns planned out.

Trapped v2

Pete Rock

squidhands said:
I really couldn't care less about Rocket Race, but to remove it completely from matchmaking is a huge slap in the face to the fans who absolutely love the gametype.
Typical Bungle, stupid and awful.

Lazslo

Hey I'm jumping on Reach in 15 mins if anyone wants to play Matchmaking/Campaign/Firefight/- I don't know why but these days I hate going solo into any hopper. If anyone wants to join- jump into my party to send a message to 'Laszio'

Dani you should totally go on bro

GhaleonEB

Pete Rock said:
Typical Bungle, stupid and awful.

Ninja on Fire said:
One of the main reasons we wanted to change it is so we can start evaluating 4way symmetrical community maps and new gametypes for 4 teams.

The current configuration of 6 teams is too problematic in both objective setups and spawning. Yes, it's chaotic and fun, but 4 teams of 3 accomplishes that with the added potential for new gametypes.

We've been discussing this change internally for quite a while. Aside from Rocket Race needing teams of 2, there was no compelling argument for keeping 6 teams of 2. With the potential for Rocket Hog Race the last consideration for 6 teams of 2 died.

The 4 teams of 3 configuration is much more flexible and allows us to explore 4way symmetrical options while keeping the total player count the same.

I'm going to be looking for awesome 4way maps soon. They will need to perform adequately in 4way split though, which means they might not be as pretty as some of the more complex and ornate maps out there.
From the Optimatch thread.

I enjoyed Rocket Race the two times I played it on a Mongoose, but I think the benefits of the Multi Team format far outweigh the negative impact on Rocket Race. The decision strikes me as neither stupid nor awful, but rather a measured decision based on the pros and cons of the change.

It would be good if the explanations of the changes were made in the BWU, though, so the community could have a more informed discussion. Though I don't think that will benefit people that post as you do.

I'd imagine it will only be a matter of time before there is a dedicated Rocket Race/ Rally / Race hopper. The mongoose handles a bit better imo than the hog and there is no greater satisfaction than sending someone ever so slightly off course for an objective point. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. I expect we'll see such a playlist as part of the limited weekly playlist things every few weeks. I expect there are a good few decent race maps out there.

Even with such a mode with Race a part of me wonders how much control Bungie has over the cR payouts. Would it be possible to have a traditional racing system whereby 1st place gets 1000, 2nd gets 750 and so on? I mean things like the Game Completion bonus. I think, if possible, it would make for a rather enticing hopper... once you prevent the exploiting of the rules.

Top Bottom