• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey said:
Hell im sure they could sell Vehicle and Weapon DLC packs for 400msp. I would still buy them lol

Hell, just throw a pack together with a beam rifle a Chopper and a BR and I would sell my soul for it. If 343 can add armour/ vehicles/ weapons in dlc they really have the ability to do anything. It sounds too good to be true to be honest. I would love a pack that had the weapon balance of Halo 3, (so no bloom, but rate of fire) - it would be interesting to see how that stuff played with armour abilities and so on.

From the sounds of it they can even add more armour abilities. As long as they dont think of something worse than armour lock im sure it will be fine. :p

(Im getting ahead of myself, we still don't really know if there will be new armour in that dlc - pic could be old or a test)

AlienShogun sadly MLG still has bloom and is hindered by weapons being 5 shot kills, thats why I don't like it. I guess the 'classic' playlist will have the same restrictions. I will still play it for the maps though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
Hell, just throw a pack together with a beam rifle a Chopper and a BR and I would sell my soul for it. If 343 can add armour/ vehicles/ weapons in dlc they really have the ability to do anything. It sounds too good to be true to be honest. I would love a pack that had the weapon balance of Halo 3, (so no bloom, but rate of fire) - it would be interesting to see how that stuff played with armour abilities and so on.

From the sounds of it they can even add more armour abilities. As long as they dont think of something worse than armour lock im sure it will be fine. :p

(Im getting ahead of myself, we still don't really know if there will be new armour in that dlc - pic could be old or a test)

AlienShogun sadly MLG still has bloom and is hindered by weapons being 5 shot kills, thats why I don't like it. I guess the 'classic' playlist will have the same restrictions. I will still play it for the maps though.

I don't see bloom as THAT big of an issue though, bloom definitely slows the pace down unnecessarily, but it's still something that can be worked around. It doesn't disrupt the pace of battle as bad as some AAs depending on game type and map layout (they are all guilty depending on those variables).

I'm simply stating that I don't see MLG settings and Classic as being that far apart (probably won't be) so I'm just postulating that the populations for classic will probably be similar to MLG. And as well all know, small populations make for VERY poor "fun" factor due to forced lag, cross globe hosts, skill disparity and getting matched up against those WAY better or worse than you, etc because the pool of possible games is so narrow.

Striker said:
When asking for a BR, why in the blue hell would you want 3's instead of 2's?

Haha thats a good point. To be fair in my post I meant more the Halo 3 model (which is also the Halo 2 model, I was just generalizing quickly) - so rather than using bloom to balance the weapons, I would prefer weapons to be balanced by rate of fire. Just so its clear this is just hypothetically speaking what I would want, and I know theres almost no chance it will ever happen lol. I even doubt it can happen.

Alienshogun said:
I don't see bloom as THAT big of an issue though, bloom definitely slows the pace down unnecessarily, but it's still something that can be worked around. It doesn't disrupt the pace of battle as bad as some AAs depending on game type and map layout (they are all guilty depending on those variables).

I'm simply stating that I don't see MLG settings and Classic as being that far apart (probably won't be) so I'm just postulating that the populations for classic will probably be similar to MLG. And as well all know, small populations make for VERY poor "fun" factor due to forced lag, cross globe hosts, skill disparity and getting matched up against those WAY better or worse than you, etc because the pool of possible games is so narrow.

Bloom just isnt much fun, it might not be a problem and the better man usually wins (bullshit still happens far too much for my liking though). The thing is though that feeling of hitting someone with 4 rapid precise shots just doesnt exist in Reach. The player vs player combat feels fairly spamtastic to me lol.

So yeah even if they get everything else right, bloom and the fact that it will have to be a 5 shot kills ruins it. Thats how it is for MLG, and quite frankly therfore I agree with you. The thing is though, the fact that im playing on old school Halo maps will be the factor that gets me to play. Really I dont understand why they dont just incorperate the oldschool maps into the normal playlists. The Halo fans who love Reach would love that - even though I dont like Reach as much I would still play a ton more if I could get the good classic maps.

As it stands Reachs maps arent great - so why not take advantage of having forged classic maps in all playlists.

So yeah ultimately while I agree with you that the classic playlist might not be that popular, I think those maps will be high quality and should be put into more than just the classic playlist.

FourDoor

As much as I want new weapons and stuff, I think everyone's expectations may be a little off base here.

It's one thing to be able to skin a helmet to make it look like its new, but creating new functional vehicles and weapons in the engine without breaking the game is a totally different ballgame.

I think we'd see a golden warthog on a new map first before seeing the chopper being reborn.

GhaleonEB

FourDoor said:
As much as I want new weapons and stuff, I think everyone's expectations may be a little off base here.

It's one thing to be able to skin a helmet to make it look like its new, but creating new functional vehicles and weapons in the engine without breaking the game is a totally different ballgame.

I think we'd see a golden warthog on a new map first before seeing the chopper being reborn.
I hope people aren't serious with their hopes/speculations, it was more just a launching point for pie in the sky wish lists. I certainly wasn't with my mention of the Chopper; it was more a dig at Hemorrhage. I suspect any added content would begin and end with the armor permutations (if that).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FourDoor said:

:lol that brings back memories. I used to tell kids on Headlong to stare at the poster to get the golden warthog and then I would assassinate them. That used to be funny.

Kuroyume said:
DLC with a bloom-less BR

Yeah okay, have fun in fantasy land.

Ridiculous

Haha that was mostly me, and I prefaced my posts a bunch of times by saying that's what I would love to see but know its never gonna happen... infact I severely doubt it would even be possible.

Fantasy land is fun, you should visit sometime :p

To be fair though, if 343 has the power to add armour into the game, then its possible they could add vehicles and weapons. Really the possibilities are endless. I doubt they would put in the man power for a weapon pack which journalists would mock though lol.

KevinRo

Quit the bitching about the AL and Bloom.

This game has been out how long?

Either adapt or pick a new game. I understand the initial shock when the game first came out but, I know nearly 80 percent of all of you played the Beta.

vhfive

listen nerds. i'm going to give you all the best advice that anyone on this earth can give you. STOP PLAYING XBL HALO. you are ruining your lives. i know this from first hand experience.

go out and live life. get a girlfriend, learn how it feels to fall in and out of love more than the amount of fingers on one hand. go out to parties and get sooo fucking shit-faced that when you crash at your friends apartment you end up passing out on the toilet.

seriously, throughout highschool i played this game and my social life went down the drains. college has opened my eyes to what is out there. its cool to play the game every once and a while but if this shit starts to effect your social life and your GRADES, make sure you drop this faster than the time it takes for a fart to disappear in the wind.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vhfive said:
listen nerds. i'm going to give you all the best advice that anyone on this earth can give you. STOP PLAYING XBL HALO. you are ruining your lives. i know this from first hand experience.

go out and live life. get a girlfriend, learn how it feels to fall in and out of love more than the amount of fingers on one hand. go out to parties and get sooo fucking shit-faced that when you crash at your friends apartment you end up passing out on the toilet.

seriously, throughout highschool i played this game and my social life went down the drains. college has opened my eyes to what is out there. its cool to play the game every once and a while but if this shit starts to effect your social life and your GRADES, make sure you drop this faster than the time it takes for a fart to disappear in the wind.

Uh, ok. Some of us aren't in the same scenario you are/were, some of us are established adults who are married with kids. It's good you took your own advice though. Perhaps you're the nerd.

KevinRo said:

Either adapt or pick a new game. I understand the initial shock when the game first came out but, I know nearly 80 percent of all of you played the Beta.

Just because an aspect of the game hasn't been changed, doesn't mean it isn't still broken.

By your logic soft kills on the hills in Hemmorage shouldn't be added among other map tweaks that haven't occurred yet either.
Who are you again?

bobs99 ... said:
Fantasy land is fun, you should visit sometime :p

I went there once, I bought the shirt, it was a tourist trap.

KevinRo said:

Someone gets it.

Shogun seriously just played the 'who are you?' card? Jesus :/

Pete Rock

Kuroyume said:
Yeah okay, have fun in fantasy land.

Ridiculous
It's ok, you'll only get flamed for bringing up anything relevant in terms of potential squandered through poor choices made in regards to the optimatch system, past present or future. Better to circlejerk over insane fantasies about third party contractors opening up the floodgates of game-breaking DLC by way of sidestepping an engine asset management issue that has been prevalent in the last few titles.

Followed by hard hitting life lessons from the college front, haloGAF is just adorable.

vhfive said:

The only problem I've is a little corner in my room. It's full packed with Halo stuff. But the remain of my life is good. But thanks for your advice!(But I would play 1-2 hours per day if I could.)

I hope everyone agrees with me, that Fiesta Attack is the best party firefight gametype? Everytime I want to die and see which weapons I get the next time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pete Rock said:
It's ok, you'll only get flamed for bringing up anything relevant in terms of potential squandered through poor choices made in regards to the optimatch system, past present or future. Better to circlejerk over insane fantasies about third party contractors opening up the floodgates of game-breaking DLC by way of sidestepping an engine asset management issue that has been prevalent in the last few titles.

Followed by hard hitting life lessons from the college front, haloGAF is just adorable.

"Someone gets it."

See what I did there? ;)

FourDoor said:
LOL @ vhfive recycling posts. LOL

who was that OP for that again?

Wait, so that was a joke post?

If so, I may have to apologize.

Pete Rock said:

Bloom is a dead horse. Stop flogging it. Seriously. Circle jerk angrily over the insane fantasy about Bungie taking bloom out.

Optimistic, silly, funny wishlists make for far better reading than the doom and gloom, 'this game sucks', 'I want to like it' posts that have been made recently.

Hard hitting life lessons from the college front? :lol

First off - lol Vhfive

Secondly, what the hell, I just played a mode called Elite Skirmish. It was basically Invasion Slayer but with unique UI stuff. It was pretty cool, I wonder when they added it in.

Hydranockz said:
Bloom is a dead horse. Stop flogging it. Seriously. Circle jerk angrily over the insane fantasy about Bungie taking bloom out.

Optimistic, silly, funny wishlists make for far better reading than the doom and gloom, 'this game sucks', 'I want to like it' posts that have been made recently.

Hard hitting life lessons from the college front? :lol

Well as far as im concerned the game is only a few steps away from being something great. I understand that they arent gonna truly remove armour lock or bloom, but at least give us the custom game options you know.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
First off - lol Vhfive

Secondly, what the hell, I just played a mode called Elite Skirmish. It was basically Invasion Slayer but with unique UI stuff. It was pretty cool, I wonder when they added it in.

Wasn't that added in, in the last big bundle? I remember someone mentioning skirmish mode.

I'll probably check out the additions this weekend after my son's birthday party.

bobs99 ... said:
Well as far as im concerned the game is only a few steps away from being something great. I understand that they arent gonna truly remove armour lock or bloom, but at least give us the custom game options you know.

You and me both, simple tweaks would make it great. DS and AL need to be in their proper play list, and a bloom adjuster for custom games would be a welcome addition.

squidhands said:
Alienshogun
Won't stop posting
(Today, 02:51 PM)
Reply | Quote

:-b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU9oVGr1KE

Lazslo

vhfive said:

Hahaha well said but it would suck if you stop n3rding out all together bro. Halo can be social; It's a great pre-game drinking game. In college when I was stuck in the dorms we would Play FFA with 4 or more bros- set repawn to 10 seconds- every time you die- you drink. It's amazing how good it out because your so mad you died you don't mind a frosty drink. Oh College...

Does anyone else HATE idle boosters in Firefight?

It's annoying to get a game going in Firefight and one or two people just stand there the whole game, or they go over to a spot on the map where enemies won't be able to see them.

Ugh.

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
This is what happened when I managed to convince everyone at customs a week ago, myself included, that I was gonna go afk and eat me some pasta. I had put the controller down... but... along... came... Dani....
Ha I fucked you up at the end there

GhaleonEB

7echnicolor said:
Does anyone else HATE idle boosters in Firefight?

It's annoying to get a game going in Firefight and one or two people just stand there the whole game, or they go over to a spot on the map where enemies won't be able to see them.

Ugh.
It's a HUGE problem in Firefight Limited. (In Arcade, I don't care, that just means more for me.) And until there's a foolproof solution, there won't be a Classic playlist, as there are too many exploitable places for AFKers to hide. If you run out of lives, those guys are the last man standing. I've run into that enough in Limited to drive me bonkers.

I think they (and the pooled lives the non-hiding ones drain) are the main reason the Limited playlist is so light on players.

Well, that and much of the population just likes to smash and blow stuff up. But it would have more appeal if the ample idle players didn't punish everyone else. I'm not sure what the solutions are, though. It has to be some combination of separate life pools and mid-game boots for idlers.
Squall ASF said:
That reminds me, I haven't played FF 'limited' style since ODST came out. If you see me on, hit me up and I'll play some with you. Especially this week with the weekly challenge and all. I've been out of town but I'm back now and should get on later tonight (after Suns game).
Sounds good. I'll be on some time after 8 PST.

GhaleonEB said:
It's a HUGE problem in Firefight Limited. (In Arcade, I don't care, that just means more for me.) And until there's a foolproof solution, there won't be a Classic playlist, as there are too many exploitable places for AFKers to hide. If you run out of lives, those guys are the last man standing. I've run into that enough in Limited to drive me bonkers.

I think they (and the pooled lives the non-hiding ones drain) are the main reason the Limited playlist is so light on players.

Well, that and much of the population just likes to smash and blow stuff up. But it would have more appeal if the ample idle players didn't punish everyone else. I'm not sure what the solutions are, though.

That reminds me, I haven't played FF 'limited' style since ODST came out. If you see me on, hit me up and I'll play some with you. Especially this week with the weekly challenge and all. I've been out of town but I'm back now and should get on later tonight (after Suns game).

I just had a pretty funny moment on Anchor 9 Bro Slayer. I was jetpacking killing people while in space, and out on nowhere I hear people screaming in unison. Turns out 3 of my team-mates spawned on me and fell to they're deaths. :p Why the hell didnt they pick the Jetpack load out lol!??

Its actually nothing special, and no doubt everyones had a moment when they have spawned on a banshee and fallen to theyre death (lol Gui), it was funny as hell though. (Thanks to the guy who rendered it for me if your reading this!)

Its pretty immature, but I couldn't stop laughing - the guy with grunt birthday party topped it off.
Dont judge me

Tashi

vhfive said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So that post sounds like ranks are coming back? God I hope its not like they are just going to make less games to get a whateveronyx.

Also damn Five that's coldddd.

Tashi

LOL oh god, going through the old Halo 3 thread and reading some of my posts makes me cringe.

Tashi0106 said:
More importantly, the great map design is still there in H3 as it was in H2.

Hahahahha wtf was I thinking?

Toddler

Bungie All Star Week 6

I got this....

gafnobelavatar.gif

feel

Tashi0106 said:
LOL oh god, going through the old Halo 3 thread and reading some of my posts makes me cringe.

Hahahahha wtf was I thinking?
I went looking for the introductory posts of my batch of juniors, to cringe for a bit, and found the heartbreaking sight of half of halogaf insulting BerserkerBarage upon his arrival and telling him to get lost because he signed his posts... wow </3 :(

zumphry

Banned
Why did I pick Rocket Attack on Overlook? I should know that fighting Skirmishers on fairly open maps isn't fun and just makes me camp in a room for half the game waiting for 4 of them to come in one squad at a time.

Toddler said:
I don't really think "I GOT DIS!", but sent it in hoping maybe someone will get a kick out of it.

I'm still debating what one to send in. Wish I could go back in time to tell myself to hold off on the webmaster avatar but nooooooo, that already was sent in.

KevinRo

vhfive said:

how. this i dont even.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS. AND HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT IT STILL

vhfive said:

HAHAHA oh god I just shit myself

totally forgot about that post

KevinRo said:
how. this i dont even.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS. AND HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT IT STILL

Haha this post made me google that, and I found your post on the Halo 3 thread. :p

That thread is hilarious by the way, I read a few random pages and couldn't get over how funny some of the stuff was, the xbl messages from when you guys where on Bungie favorites made my day.

Mush

Thanks to this weeks weekly challenge, I've now reached Major and discovered the awesomeness that is Firefight Arcade.

Cheers, Bungie.

Tashi

Letters said:
I went looking for the introductory posts of my batch of juniors, to cringe for a bit, and found the heartbreaking sight of half of halogaf insulting BerserkerBarage upon his arrival and telling him to get lost because he signed his posts... wow </3 :(
Damn, was I one of those assholes?

GhaleonEB

equil said:
Am i missing something? How does this guy have a youtube link under his rendered video?
That's exactly what happened to us GAFers a week ago. This dude wasn't in the game, but I'll bet he's part of the same crew; he's the same rank and using the same tactic with his buddies in the Banshees helping out.
worthless spawn camping shithead motherfucker it's people like him that help ruin this game

Edit: the last post in the Paradiso feedback thread on GAF was about someone complaining about the same thing...and the same people.

Top Bottom