• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
That's exactly what happened to us GAFers a week ago. This dude wasn't in the game, but I'll bet he's part of the same crew; he's the same rank and using the same tactic with his buddies in the Banshees helping out.
worthless spawn camping shithead motherfucker it's people like him that help ruin this game
I blame the less than stellar map and it's very poor spawning.

MrBig

bungiemoaavatartrans.png

bungiemoaavatar.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
equil said:
Check out that dudes recent games though, he does it on like every map...
He's got an amazing K/D record cause of that banshee and if he does nothing but run with a group, even repeating the same thing on every map. Then he's not cheating, he's just stomping the competition.

Nutter

Im all for getting every single kill until the time runs out, however vehicle kills does not show that you are better then someone. Just because you get into the tank or banshee and because they are horrendously designed in Reach, you can keep getting tons of kills means jack shit. It is the DMR to DMR battle that matters and most of these idiotic assholes with tons of banshee kills suck at the core game, however with that said the core game sucks in itself, so i dont blame them for giving up on the DMR gameplay and just using vehicles :[ .

I do like how bungie says, we make games we want to play, LOL. I wonder... when did or do they actually play this mess? Halo went from being a FPS to "how to get a kill using everything but a gun" game.

Nutter said:
Im all for getting every single kill until the time runs out, however vehicle kills does not show that you are better then someone. Just because you get into the tank or banshee and because they are horrendously designed in Reach, you can keep getting tons of kills means jack shit. It is the DMR to DMR battle that matters and most of these idiotic assholes with tons of banshee kills suck at the core game, however with that said the core game sucks in itself, so i dont blame them for giving up on the DMR gameplay and just using vehicles :[ .

I do like how bungie says, we make games we want to play, LOL. I wonder... when did or do they actually play this mess? Halo went from being a FPS to "how to get a kill using everything but a gun" game.

I would love to point out that if they are going in as a team... they are probably playing against a team? If the opponents where good enough they would have gotten the laser/ sniper/ tank/ banshee on theyre side early on and not got stuck into that position.

Once your spawntrapped its hard escaping and so I feel bad for the guys who are just there for casual fun but no doubt people on the spawntrapped team did have access to a sniper, banshee, tank and laser, and so really its kind of theyre fualt they got trapped. Im willing to bet they would have got killed as badly if the other team stuck to using DMR's.

I do agree with you though, it seems like most people avoid the core gunplay and use anything else possible, including just double meleeing or nade spamming. I have probably been cross mapped more by AR's in Reach than I have by DMR's lol. :p

Gui_PT

Dani said:
I played a single game of Score Attack there now and netted 17,000 cR. Yay me.

Getting that weekly feels good.

Multi Team is officially unplayable. I get Rocket Hog Race about 70% of the time.

Letters said:
I went looking for the introductory posts of my batch of juniors, to cringe for a bit, and found the heartbreaking sight of half of halogaf insulting BerserkerBarage upon his arrival and telling him to get lost because he signed his posts... wow </3 :(
The 25th of this month will be the one year anniversary of his passing. Crazy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Any time you have a game system which players cannot understand, it might as well be random. No matter how fair the tiebreaker may be, if a single Assault Rifle bullet can slip by and decide the outcome, it might as well be random. And randomness is a poor substitute for tactics and skillful execution.
Tyson Green, Halo 3 Multiplayer Lead Designer, commenting on Halo 3's Title Update, February 2008.
I still cannot fathom the decision to implement reticule bloom. From the Beta up until now, I can never play with folks without bloom being brought up as the cause of losing a shootout and dying.

I can see most of my FL not buying or playing any future Halo game that includes that system.

=\

Bregmann Roche said:
Oh Dani...why did you post that quote? This is going to be worse than WikiLeaks exposing CIA hit squads.

Haha.

Im going to mostly steer clear of this one, I have bitched enough lately! I will say though that Reach contradicts Tysons quote in more areas that just bloom, and that the arena is a perfect example of "a game system which players cannot understand".
Theres a lot of decisions I cant comprehend, Bungie must have been high/ drunk/ hypnotised by Sage (and his beard) while making Reach :p

Thank god people like NinjaOnFire 'get it' and are making changes.

bobs99 ... said:
Theres a lot of decisions I cant comprehend, Bungie must have been high/ drunk/ hypnotised by Sage (and his beard) while making Reach :p

Thank god people like NinjaOnFire 'get it' and are making changes.
I'm beginning to believe this. Bloom aside, the vehicles just don't feel right. The Warthog shouldn't tip over when it runs over a bed of flowers, ffs.

Gui_PT

Don't tell Sage, he'll nerf it!

And nerf it he did.

I'm not american so I didn't know nerf was a synonym to ruin.

Yes, it's a joke. But it this case, it feels true

squidhands said:
I'm beginning to believe this. Bloom aside, the vehicles just don't feel right. The Warthog shouldn't tip over when it runs over a bed of flowers, ffs.
Yup. Warthog's physics are out of whack.

I think the vehicle that controls the best is the Falcon. That thing is a TON of fun to fly around in.

Edit: Roche, where is that quote from?

Thought I would drop some Pitinoisms. Spartans, prepare for glory:

RickPitinocirca2000 said:
"The Halo 2 BR is not walking through that door, fans. Lockout is not walking through that door, and the Halo CE pistol is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old.

What Reach is, is young, exciting, hard-working, and it's going to improve. People don't realize that, and as soon as they realize those three things are not coming through that door, the better this thread will be for all of us because there are young guys in matchmaking playing their asses off.

I wish we had Halo 3 run speed. I wish we could buy the world. We can't; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's in this thread sucks. I've been around when Valhalla was booed. I've been around when The Pit was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest thread, greatest community in the world, lousy.

The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like we are in that Forge Thread... and if you think I'm going to succumb to negativity, you're wrong. You've got the wrong guy leading this team."

All the vehicles in Reach control better than in previous games except for the Warthog, because it is way too loose and skate-y and flips if you so much as breathe on it, and the Scorpion, because of the weird turret direction thing that took me a while to get used to and still doesn't feel natural.

Like, the Ghost is by far the best Ghost in the series, for one thing. The Revenant, if it didn't spiral off madly for no reason, is tons of fun to drive.

xxjuicesxx said:
That dude sounds like he sucks at Halo.

You should talk to his ex-girlfriends.

bobs99 ... said:
Im sorry, but that "we kind of wish it was this... but lets be optimistic with what we have!" attitude is just silly. As a consumer grow some balls and complain about the things you don't like ...

I did complain about the things I don't like. More than once. But that was months ago back when complaints were relevant. By now everyone that needed to read those complaints has read them. I don't repeat the complaints I made in OT 1 because that would be obnoxious and boring.

Bregmann Roche said:
Thought I would drop some Pitinoisms. Spartans, prepare for glory:

Im sorry, but that "we kind of wish it was this... but lets be optimistic with what we have!" attitude is just silly. As a consumer grow some balls and complain about the things you don't like so that the next time round the company gets it right. Dont get me wrong, people out there love Reach, and for those guys Bungie did a job well done. But acting optimistic just to avoid criticising something you feel is worth criticising is just madness. Basically if you genuinely like Reach enjoy it! If you dont your obviously going to hope they get it right next time round.

I like aspects of Reach, but there are many places where I feel they went wrong. If anything now that ive said my peice about bloom/ armour lock/ etc I will shut up. Dont get me wrong I still have stuff to say, but for the good of the thread Ill keep quiet, its always a nicer community when it isnt full of bitching.

But saying good things about things you dont like just for the sake of being optimistic... lol!

feel

Shake Appeal said:
All the vehicles in Reach control better than in previous games except for the Warthog, because it is way too loose and skate-y and flips if you so much as breathe on it, and the Scorpion, because of the weird turret direction thing that took me a while to get used to and still doesn't feel natural.

Like, the Ghost is by far the best Ghost in the series, for one thing. The Revenant, if it didn't spiral off madly for no reason, is tons of fun to drive.
The Reach banshee is laughable too imo. I hate how it looks, how it moves, the weird feel/control, awkward camera, etc. I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of the vehicles in the previous games left Bungie early into Reach's development, no way the greatness of some of the main vehicles of the previous games was just a fluke.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
The Reach banshee is laughable too imo. I hate how it looks, how it moves, the weird feel/control, awkward camera, etc. I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of the vehicles in the previous games left Bungie early into Reach's development, now way the greatness of some of the main vehicles of the previous games was just a fluke.
Jaime was the lead sandbox designer in Halo 3, including vehicles. I think he was on the new project until he left recently; I don't think he did much on Reach.

Bregmann Roche said:
I did complain about the things I don't like. More than once. But that was months ago back when complaints were relevant. By now everyone that needed to read those complaints has read them. I don't repeat the complaints I made in OT 1 because that would be obnoxious and boring.
Too bad not everyone gets that.

Havok

Letters said:
The Reach banshee is laughable too imo. I hate how it looks, how it moves, the weird feel/control, awkward camera, etc. I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of the vehicles in the previous games left Bungie early into Reach's development, now way the greatness of some of the main vehicles of the previous games was just a fluke.
I mostly hate how it's basically impossible to hit one if the driver is flying properly (that is to say, dodging fucking everything with those ridiculous aerial maneuvers that break all target locks), and also that the fuel rod is god mode, and also that two respawn on Breakpoint with frightening speed, and that its overpowered nature causes the entire team to throw grenades at each other to get it for themselves, etc etc etc.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nutter have you played MLG at all? While V2 in MLG is not perfect and the map selection is pretty limited, I find it to be vastly superior to the stock Reach experience.

krakov

bobs99 ... said:
I would love to point out that if they are going in as a team... they are probably playing against a team?

I don't know how many teams of eight are usually in rotation in BTB, but I would guess about one. Anyway, most people should know that it's of importance to not let the enemy scorpion into your base. There are tons of ways to take it down before it gets there and one of them is not to run right at it.

Big Bro Slayer really changed all this though, maybe not for the better.

EDIT: I must say I've adapted to the Reach warthog and really like how it controls, it's really fragile though and with the DMR being so accurate it's too easy to pick of the driver or gunner.

GhaleonEB said:
Jaime was the lead sandbox designer in Halo 3, including vehicles. I think he was on the new project until he left recently; I don't think he did much on Reach.

So....great vehicles in Bungie's new IP confirmed? Where did he go? I haven't yet received this quarter's US Weekly: Video Game Industry Edition.

Letters said:
The Reach banshee is laughable too imo. I hate how it looks, how it moves, the weird feel/control, awkward camera, etc. I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of the vehicles in the previous games left Bungie early into Reach's development, no way the greatness of some of the main vehicles of the previous games was just a fluke.

Im in two minds about the vehicle sandbox in Reach. On most maps against competent people they really are useless, considering a Banshee goes down fairly easily to Snipers or Dmr bullets. On the right map though you can keep doing drive by bombings and its awesome. So yeah the Banshee has awesome offence, weak defence, and it all depends on the map if the manoeuvrability is going to work in your favour or not.

As much as the core gunplay in Reach isn't my thing... when it works the vehicle play is fun. Sage worked wonders with things like the Falcon. Armour abilities and vehicles work fairly well together, armour lock can be a bit disruptive, but generally I think the Reach sandbox works best in BTB environments. Its just the 4v4 stuff which sadly I think Bungie missed a trick on.

I did just play a fantastic game where I had a Banshee all game and had some awesome moments, so maybe that's clouding my judgement just now. :p

I literally just had a match where me and another dude where having some epic banshee dogfight all over Breakpoint. Mine was already messed up and he had the upper hand, so I jumped out my shee, hijacked his out of mid air and went on a rain of terror with it. Little did I know he survived the landing, went around the map remembering where my banshee landed, and used it to try and kill me. It was battered so someone on my team killed him before he did any damage, but it was a fairly awesome encounter, and could only happen with Halos vehicle sandbox.

krakov said:
EDIT: I must say I've adapted to the Reach warthog and really like how it controls, it's really fragile though and with the DMR being so accurate it's too easy to pick of the driver or gunner.
Another huge problem with it. Driving an eggshell that flips over when someone farts is a terrible way to attempt to balance the vehicle out with infantry. Damage should have been represented in making it less nimble/drive slower. It can blow up with a few well-placed bullets, but a Warthog can't get a frakking flat tire? c'mon...

I do have to agree with Shake; the Ghost is in perfect shape for Reach. Kudos to whoever worked on that.

edit: film that, bobs!

Dani said:
I still cannot fathom the decision to implement reticule bloom. From the Beta up until now, I can never play with folks without bloom being brought up as the cause of losing a shootout and dying.

I can see most of my FL not buying or playing any future Halo game that includes that system.

=\

Eh, I haven't raged here in a while, but I'll just say that Bungie screwed up, and leave it at that.

wwm0nkey

With all the talk about balance and vehicle control, just made me realize that Halo 2 really was the prime of gameplay in all fronts for the series...I miss Halo 2 :(

krakov

squidhands said:
Another huge problem with it. Driving an eggshell that flips over when someone farts is a terrible way to attempt to balance the vehicle out with infantry. Damage should have been represented in making it less nimble/drive slower. It can blow up with a few well-placed bullets, but a Warthog can't get a frakking flat tire? c'mon...

I do have to agree with Shake; the Ghost is in perfect shape for Reach. Kudos to whoever worked on that.

I don't agree that it flips over to easily like everyone is saying. I find it controls really well and it moves really fast unlike the one in Halo 3. It's just that two people could take it down in seconds with starting gear.

I agree with bobs99 about the vehicle sandbox. You can easily wreak havoc with most of the vehicles, but they are also really easy to destroy. Most of the time though, some asshole has already taken the sniper and sits behind a rock in camo trying to get a perfection while his team loses 42-100. He also has the plasma pistol as his secondary and he took the revenant to quickly reach his hideout.

"bitch bitch bitch, whine whine whine"

This thread isn't fun anymore :(

Trying to get things headed a different direction, does anyone want to play some MM?

Edit: omg did they remove Gruntpocalypse from Score Attack?

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
With all the talk about balance and vehicle control, just made me realize that Halo 2 really was the prime of gameplay in all fronts for the series...I miss Halo 2 :(
Personally, that was Halo 3 for me. But I think the vehicle/infantry balance was perfect in that game, and I loved the vehicle handling (<3 Chopper). In Halo 2 the homing rocket launcher kinda destroyed the vehicles, so to speak. Halo 3 felt like a polished, expanded iteration of Halo 2's core gameplay. I loved the BTB game in it so damn much.

I should knock off the Firefight Challenge later today (I'm home sick, ug). I hope now that Firefight Limited is permanent, some additional game types or variants get introduced as with the multiplayer playlists. I love the current iteration, but even just tweaking the enemy mix would refresh it a lot down the road (Heretics!).

Edit: this was as good a game as any to knock off the Weekly. I'm learning to savor idiot and AFK team mates (one of each in this one), it lets me go solo for protracted periods of time with no lives left. Makes the stakes nice and high.

...I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

squidhands said:

I could make a much shorter version which cuts out more of the duller parts but just decided to clip the whole thing. Its about 1 and a half minutes long and isn't worth rendering. (most of it just just bad shooting and evasive manoeuvres :p)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14017804&player=bobs99

I was on the back foot a lot of that time, I was getting shot from random DMR's and I kept shooting early at him early in desperation. Wasn't the best Banshee play by me, but it led to a cool hijack so im not complaining. After I hijacked him the gameplay is a little dull, he takes a while to get to my old Banshee, he starts shooting me up but doesn't get a chance to do much as he gets blown up really quick. I love the fact that he damaged the banshee to that point before having to use it himself. :p

GhaleonEB said:
I should knock off the Firefight Challenge later today (I'm home sick, ug). I hope now that Firefight Limited is permanent, some additional game types or variants get introduced as with the multiplayer playlists. I love the current iteration, but even just tweaking the enemy mix would refresh it a lot down the road (Heretics!).

GG last night. I think I heard maybe a dozen or so words out of everything you said last night so sorry if you gave advice or instruction at any point I didn't hear haha I know it was late and the ladies were in bed I imagine. Good lord I'm used to Gruntpoc or snipes because it took me three deaths I think to realize the reason I couldn't find a DMR was due to loadouts *facepalm*. Still had fun and next time will be better. That would have been awesome if we had Courtyard instead, that would have been a perfect map for just two people.

Oh yeah, tried a few matches after you got off and people are every bit as bad as you say. Had AFKers, people quitting early on, and most of our lives drained before even getting through a set (I hadn't died yet at that point). I think Limited would be crazy fun with a team of competent people.

wwm0nkey

Still think Halo 2 had the best gameplay but one question......what the fuck happened to the map designers after Halo 2? I mean the maps in Halo 3 where not bad but Halo 2 just takes the cake when it comes to map design in a FPS.

Top Bottom