• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

blamite said:
Speaking of ViDocs, didn't Bungie show a portion of an unreleased one at the same time Forge World was announced? It was at Comicon I think, and it had a bunch of clips of voice actors reading their lines. When's that going to be released?
You read my post. I thought I'm invisible. I'm happy now. :)

Hey what's up HaloGAF. After years of trying, I finally know what it feels like to be on "the other side" of the registration process, hence my username. Hopefully it's only temporary haha. I am quite casual when to comes to gaming. Not by my choice of course but rather my real life circumstances, writ family man. While I'm unable to log hours/days/months playing the game I love most (Halo), I spend idle time lurking GAF, watching rendered films/streams (<3 Tashi!), and try to never miss an MLG tourney stream. I just love the energy of the broadcasts and the level of gameplay.
One last thing I'd like to say is RIP BB. Even though I was stuck in read-only mode and didn't know him I really felt for his family's loss. I wanted to dedicate my first GAF post ever to his memory. Anyway, thanks and it's nice to be here!

Sikamikanico said:
I just fired up B.net. I now has Star Nameplate.

Awesomesauce.

In other news, finally got some inspiration for a new map design...construction has begun in earnest. :)

@Ghal - Reach appeared to overwrite all my previous versions of Kingdom, so I can't take a screenie of the gap in Kingdom, nor of the weird out of alignment "cover" piece on one of the Large Struts at each Base.
Me too! Congrats, dude! :-D

Account Attempt #4 said:
One last thing I'd like to say is RIP BB. Even though I was stuck in read-only mode and didn't know him I really felt for his family's loss. I wanted to dedicate my first GAF post ever to his memory. Anyway, thanks and it's nice to be here!
very cool of you.

I actually have a special map coming up, lets just say it will have water combat not witnessed before. Hey you guys might actually get to help me test it, unlike the difficult Forgehub.

GhaleonEB said:
Hope so. Our man on the inside.

Looking forward to getting a better look at the new maps (or at least, one of them). I'm also hoping a release date is announced for the map pack tomorrow at the event.

Reach maps, Skyrim gameplay, snow incoming. Tomorrow will be a good day.
There's Skyrim gameplay coming out tomorrow? Consider me interested. I never played Oblivion but I'm interested in ESV.

Not off-topic.

vhfive

blamite said:
Looks like the Halo Waypoint website got a pretty big upgrade. It no longer uses silverlight, and it has it's own page for tracking your reach stats.
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/stats/GANNONSMASH
Looks like the "Battle Proficiency Rating" is a 1-100 number meant to act like your overall skill level?
very interesting
looks like 343 is beginning to slowly take over all halo related things.

I'm 77

squidhands said:
very cool of you.

No worries! The last thing I'll say about it is the reaction back then from all of you was worth mad respect. Dude was way too young.

Tashi, sometimes when stuck at work a little streaming Haloz can carry the day through. You're keeping the dream alive for us working stiffs who wish we could be out there running it with ya lol.

Crucio

I'm glad they removed silverlight it was useless in that fashion. For slow computers it can be tedious.

I have a BPR of 66. Hmm.

@squidhands: Thats wicked stuff!

Wow, just...wow.

reach12766953full.jpg

reach12766990full.jpg

The piano blows my mind.

Crucio

Hmm, once Halowaypoint is completed it might replace B.net. I mean seeing as Bungie is moving on, perhaps its best for 343I to perfect stat pages like bungie's.

I really like Waypoints stats sight, it has a nice look to it.

I wonder if there's any politics happening behind the scenes making this happen though? If Bungie is planning to take down its own stats I wouldn't be happy. I still like to use the Halo 3 stats tracking! I also have to say that Bungies still more in depth (although I realize this is just in beta).

This is actually what the console version of Halo Waypoint should of had.

GhaleonEB

Crucio said:
Hmm, once Halowaypoint is completed it might replace B.net. I mean seeing as Bungie is moving on, perhaps its best for 343I to perfect stat pages like bungie's.
Seems like it. It's called the Service Record, which is what the bungie.net player stats suite is also called. And they're pulling in the same data, including Challenges, etc.

Fonts are a bit fugly, though, and the layout cluttered. Hope it improves as it goes. Bungie had several games to expand and improve their site design and I'm used to their layouts.

Not fond of how it prioritizes MP stats at the top, as well.

GhaleonEB said:
Not fond of how it prioritizes MP stats at the top, as well.
What should it prioritize?

Also, comment about the attempt at weapons/kills.

I do not like how it lumps weapon types into one category, rather than display kills/deaths on a weapon by weapon basis.

Edit: This is what I am talking about.

LfHRz.png

Crucio

I'm sure the HaloWaypoint team are looking for suggestions, its still in BETA obviously and now is the time to voice our opinions.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
What should it prioritize?
Everything.

Just to contrast, this is what's at the top of the Waypoint site:

WaypointStats.jpg

It's a big announcement of one multiplayer stat, a new rating assigned to that stat, my multiplayer weapon and map of choice and my overall rank.

But I don't play much multiplayer. I've done more campaign and a LOT more Firefight, so I don't care about that stuff. It's taking up important space yelling something I don't care about at me.

This is the comparable space on the b.net landing page:

bungienetstats.jpg

It's a summary of some top-level stats across all game modes. I can focus on what I want to focus on, and it tells players what game modes I put time into. Looking at my Waypoint service record, you'd have no idea how my playtime is split or what in Reach I care about. And it's packed into less space.

Reach's investment system and service record provides equal coverage to all game modes; the Waypoint promotes the multiplayer above all others. That's what I don't like.

Crucio said:
I'm sure the HaloWaypoint team are looking for suggestions, its still in BETA obviously and now is the time to voice our opinions.
Yup, that's why I wanted to mention it. It's natural that they'd take over this kind of stuff eventually, and it's clearly in beta. And it's only the top-level stuff that is in so far.

MrBig

e: ^^^ :lol ranking system automatically discredited.

Cool. Halocharts has me ranked at a 50/50, Waypoint at a 74/100

I'd say waypoint's level is a more accurate appropriation of my skill level, as although I'm not an MLG pro, I would say I'm much much better that your average halo player. Though the 74 most likely stems from the overwhelming amount of times I have lost btb games while simultaneously going +20.

wpstats2-23-11.jpg

I'm glad they're already looking into supporting reach's life, instead of handling it like they did Halo Wars.

Ok wait a minute... Why am I beating Tashi by nearly 20 points?

Something is awry here... Does anyone know how Waypoint is coming up with that rank?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Devin Olsen said:
Ok wait a minute... Why am I beating Tashi by nearly 20 points?

Something is awry here... Does anyone know how Waypoint is coming up with that rank?
I honestly don't know the formula but I'm sure it has a lot to do with KD ratio. You have a 1.71 KD ratio and Tashi has a 1.32. That's a pretty big gap.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cocopjojo said:
I honestly don't know the formula but I'm sure it has a lot to do with KD ratio. You have a 1.71 KD ratio and Tashi has a 1.32. That's a pretty big gap.
Just global matchmaking k/d?

kylej

Banned
Posts below this line reserved for people with an 85 or higher BPR. To all you riff raff please keep quiet, the good Halo people are trying to speak.

Cocopjojo said:
Get rocked bad kid. (This is directed at Tashi, not you coco)

*continues to stay out of MLG playlists, thus padding my K/D

Edit: Just realized my avatar is:
a) Horribly outdated
b) not my favourite person any more.

Would any Halo GAFers be kind enough to set me up with a rad avatar... I really have no ideas for what I want, just make it look cool.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Tashi0106 said:
Just global matchmaking k/d?
Yeah I think that's what it is currently. What would you suggest? (This is a serious question, not rhetorical).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devin Olsen said:
Get rocked bad kid.

*continues to stay out of MLG playlists, thus padding my K/D
People play MLG to get good at MLG, I don't have a team to play MLG and I'd rather not go in with randoms. Also blame Bungie for destroying the competitive nature outside of MLG and Arena.

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah I think that's what it is currently. What would you suggest? (This is a serious question, not rhetorical).
I know you're asking Tashi but let me throw my thoughts your way..

I think if you're basing it strictly off of K/D you need to put weightings on different playlists.

Having a good K/D and only playing Griffball is entirely different than having a good K/D and playing mainly MLG.

I understand it would be needlessly complex and ever changing if you did a playlist specific weighting, but the way it is right now just isn't an accurate showcase of skill.

I also think having it shoot up to 100 once you get a K/D over 1.7 (assuming our guessing is right) is a bit off... It would be nice if having 100 was actually hard to achieve... Then again maybe the ranking system isn't set up for champions like myself in mind.

Plywood said:
People play MLG to get good at MLG, I don't have a team to play MLG and I'd rather not go in with randoms. Also blame Bungie for destroying the competitive nature outside of MLG and Arena.

Yea but you get a 1.7 playing in competitive. Dax gets a 1.7 whoring Invasion. Yours is more respectable. Tashi's 1.3 comprised mostly of MLG is just as respectable.

I'd suggest DMR kills / AR kills for BP :)

Cocopjojo said:

MLG + Snipes + Arena

I dont know if Snipes belongs in there actually, but using the global K/D is a horrible idea. Currently people who play BTB have a strong chance of artificially boosting there K/D. Anyone who plays Grifball and end up ruining they're K/D. Only the competitive modes should add to a competitive stat.

I generally let people play on my xbox. I don't actually care too much about K/D so they play whatever they want, I just don't want my account to ever be the lowest rank in the game so I absolutely wont let people touch Arena/ Ranked (they aint interested in that anyway) - I always took it for granted that if I really wanted to compare or check stats that I could just look at my 'ranked' stats.

kylej said:
Posts below this line reserved for people with an 85 or higher BPR. To all you riff raff please keep quiet, the good Halo people are trying to speak.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Right, but there are two problems with doing it by playlist:

1) It starts getting really complex, and from what I've read (and how I feel personally), Halo players want simplicity in a ranking system. We want to be able to understand how it works.

2) What playlists would we weight it by? SWAT? Team Slayer? What if there's someone who's really good but they don't like those playlists? Now we're hurting them by not picking their playlist.

I think weighting it by your global KD ratio is a pretty fair way to do it when looking at all of your options.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom