• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
The rumored "covenant forge world" on Bungie day? That would be saweet!
In case my snark on the last page wasn't clear, I think Bungie is done making Reach maps; the new ones are done by 343i and Certain Affinity. I don't see Bungie giving out a map they didn't make.

Unless they made more maps and Microsoft is making them sit on them, ODST-style.

Bungie Day this year will be about the new IP, I think. E3 is in June.

GhaleonEB said:
In case my snark on the last page wasn't clear, I think Bungie is done making Reach maps; the new ones are done by 343i and Certain Affinity. I don't see Bungie giving out a map they didn't make.

Unless they made more maps and Microsoft is making them sit on them, ODST-style.

Didn't see your post until after I had made my post. Makes sense, I do think that Bungie is probably done making maps for Reach, I'm just hopeful to get moar awesome maps/forging areas.

Fantastic idea of favorite missions in campaign.

Halo 1: AotCR easily.
Halo 2: DELTA HALO (I've played this mission at least 80 times)
Halo 3: Covenant
ODST: None really stood out. Visually, the last level was intense and awesome
Reach: Long Night of Solace

I consider that Halo Wars counts: Arcadia City was neat, but the final mission "Escape" was phenomenal.

Overall: Delta Halo from Halo 2. It's what made me fall in love with the franchise outside of multiplayer.

NOKYARD

Ramirez said:
No one is reading this stuff, c'mon.
Fine. I'll post pretty moving pictures as well.

Firefight & Making Forge maps for Multiplayer* & running very fast (and very slow) through the Campaign, in that order.

Halo 1: The Silent Cartographer. I played that mission demo hundreds of times before the game was even released. It's funny that i was never able to get on top of the Level in the demo after hours of trying, and now a simple grenade jump puts me on top.

Halo 2: Hands down, Delta Halo on Legendary. Manipulating load zones on a large map with only one invisi-barrier was a blast (GAF exclusive - old segmented speed run no one has seen before today). I am also one of the few people who enjoyed taking on Legendary Jackal Snipers.

Halo 3: The Ark (final segments of a Legendary case study)

ODST: Uplift Reserve Legendary, played on foot without using vehicles to GREATLY extend the Mission.

Reach: Still deciding. I enjoy each mission equally but going solo with a HUGE Sniper clip places Nightfall slightly ahead of the others.

Overall: Delta Halo/Regret

*Good games last night guys. I finally figured out why my lobby nameplate was blank.

✪

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think that the fact that 343i and Certain Affinity made the latest map pack automatically means that Bungie is no longer making map packs for the game. I think that it's more likely that they are going to leapfrog - with 343i making the Defiant pack and Bungie making the next one.

Why? Simply because Bungie suggested they were going to give Reach the same amount of support that they did for previous Halo games.

They may not have the resources to create all the maps, so they're sharing duties with 343i while 343i and Certain Affinity learn the engine and tool chain. And let's say the people from Bungie who worked on the first map pack moved immediately on to working on the 3rd map pack while 343i was putting the finishing touches on the Defiant pack of the last couple months.

This would be similar to how Infinity Ward and Treyarch shared Call of Duty... duties.

I'm really hoping for at least two more map packs after Defiant for Reach to bring its total up to the same as Halo 3, and I'm expecting that Bungie creates one of those packs.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
I don't think that the fact that 343i and Certain Affinity made the latest map pack automatically means that Bungie is no longer making map packs for the game. I think that it's more likely that they are going to leapfrog - with 343i making the Defiant pack and Bungie making the next one.

Why? Simply because Bungie suggested they were going to give Reach the same amount of support that they did for previous Halo games.

I'm really hoping for at least two more map packs for Reach to bring its total up to the same as Halo 3, and I'm expecting that Bungie creates one of those packs.

I'd like nothing more than to see more Bungie maps. But I keep coming back to this line from the kickoff of the Forgetacular contest:

With the imminent release of the Noble Team Map Pack our job is wrapping up but yours has only just begun.​

"With the imminent release of the Noble Team Map Pack our job is wrapping up". And the next map pack announced is not developed by Bungie. Between the two it reads to me that Bungie is done making maps for Reach.

I think by "support" they were referring to ongoing support other than DLC. Playlist management, Challenges, plucking community maps, etc.

I'd love to be wrong, of course. The Noble Map pack continued Bungie's history of creating superior maps in DLC than the game shipped with (insert snark about Reach's shipping maps). I have this feeling that they've moved on and devoted the full studio to the new IP, though.
Major Williams said:
Minus, of course, NoF hopefully.
Right, I meant other than the sustaining/test team, which is not insignificant. I was talking about maps.

Hey You

Does anybody besides me remember in a BWU shortly after Noble Map pack release, urk hint/stated that another they were working on more DLC?

I'll try to find a link after school.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
I'd love to be wrong, of course. The Noble Map pack continued Bungie's history of creating superior maps in DLC than the game shipped with (insert snark about Reach's shipping maps). I have this feeling that they've moved on and devoted the full studio to the new IP, though.
Which, honestly, I'm fine with. Defiant looks just as good as the Bungie-developed maps (although I of course reserve judgement until after actually playing the things), and CA have a good history when it comes to understanding what makes a Halo map work. It's also a slight, however small, increase in the possibility that we'll get some map remakes into Reach - I would love for Reach to have a Sidewinder/Avalanche map just to take some of the heavy lifting away from Haemorrhage. The only issue I'm concerned about is while Bungie can stand up to Microsoft demanding things, CA don't have that clout, and so two multiplayer maps and a Firefight arena might become the norm.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
Not really rumored, we know they made one lol

woah woah woah woah.

Where was this confirmed?

Also, if it is true, my expectations aren't high.

MAN IM SO BORED OF ALL GRAY MAPS. I WANT ALL PURPLE MAPS.

A27 Tawpgun said:
woah woah woah woah.

I'm with my clan mate on this one, how do you know!?

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
woah woah woah woah.

During the initial leak almost all the people who downloaded it said there was a new Forgeworld but it wasn't in the map pack and that it was iffy if it was going to be included when the new map pack releases.

wwm0nkey said:
During the initial leak almost all the people who downloaded it said there was a new Forgeworld but it wasn't in the map pack and that it was iffy if it was going to be included when the new map pack releases.

Why no proof.... hmm

My hopes for the BungieDay is: I want a ViDoc about the unused stuff(Scarab scene etc) That would be nice to see what Bungie planned first and the reason behind the cut.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Frankie hasn't denied the Halo: CE rumours. Frankie would normally appear* and mark the rumour as a fake etc. But Frankie didn't do that with the Halo CE rumour thread. So Monkey thinks that the rumours are true. (It's kind of logical.)
I think they where talking about the new Forgeworld lol

Also thanks to Frankies silence we do know the CE remake is pretty much a go.

wwm0nkey said:
Not really rumored, we know they made one lol
Wait, what? I must have missed something.

Links?

Edit:

wwm0nkey said:
This doesn't make sense... During which initial leak? You mean when the Defiant Map Pack got leaked? I am sure if there was a Forge World on there it would be all over the internet.

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:

Links?
I think its somewhere on the original leak thread. Also my lurking on hacking sites to get info seems to point to the fact that there is indeed a new forge world.

Another new dude reporting for duty-
Went from a system-link scrub in CE to a competent BR-man in Halo 2 on XB Live to an all-round (at least I’d say) above average player in Halo 3- Banshee flying/jacking being my specialty. Like many others in here, I have some beefs with Reach- particularly in the map design.

However, I still buy the map packs and play here and there, as overall, I believe the core mechanics of Halo are the best of any shooter- console and PC. I love the variety of gametypes and how different each game can unfold. On top the great gameplay and variety, Bungie has been one of the premier developers in terms of feedback to its community with regular playlist changes and adjustments.

As far my preferred Halo-style goes, while I’m probably in a smaller minority, I mostly a fan of the larger-scale Big Team Battle-esque games with objectives. These types of games can make one feel like a true bad-ass super soldier: as one can grenade and BR some guys after sniping from afar, pick up rockets, jack a Banshee, fire on a base, drop-out before being shot down, fire rockets at the base defenders, pick up the opponent’s flag and man cannon/teleport out of the base, drop the flag and pick a laser that spawned near you, charge the laser and smite the warthog chasing after you, pick up the flag and stroll all of the way to your own base with your teammates pick off any fools who dare to enter your side of the map… that’s Halo to me.

wwm0nkey said:
I think its somewhere on the original leak thread. Also my lurking on hacking sites to get info seems to point to the fact that there is indeed a new forge world.
Is linking to any of these sites against GAF's rules? If not please link them.

I followed the initial leak quite closely, and I do check up on several modding sites from time to time. But today is the first I have ever heard of a new Forge World.

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:

I followed the initial leak quite closely, and I do check up on several modding sites from time to time. But today is the first I have ever heard of a new Forge World.
I have to retrace my info, this might take awhile :/

I really might have just got my info completely wrong.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:

Considerinh those "modding" sites have only acquired the maps before release via theft, then linking to them is against GAF rules, same as downloading a torrent of a game and posting impressions and images.

The maps are stolen and any media from those sources is treated like the rest of the pirating community from the perspective of GAF and the rules. =)

Domino Theory said:
I wonder how Defiant I can be tomorrow night.

;)

Impressions if you are allowed!

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
I think they where talking about the new Forgeworld lol

Also thanks to Frankies silence we do know the CE remake is pretty much a go.
And as a general rule, there are two responses Microsoft takes to rumors. One is "we don't comment on rumors and speculation", which generally means it's bunk. And the other is "we have nothing to announce at this time" or some variation thereof, which generally means they're on the mark but stay tuned. The response to the Halo CE rumor was the latter.

wwm0nkey

Ok this is from the flicker account that originally leaked the maps.

I am not working for Bungie or Microsoft.
They have not asked me to takes these down as of now.
I have played them.

There is a new armor ability available which counters armor lock for balance and the request of the community.
There are new achievements.

One is a Firefight map

I played them in a beta-testing room, how these photos are here now can not be said, sorry.

A new Covenant Forge World is in the works for the next map pack. There will be an outer space portion of the map.

Enjoy.

CortanaV

Neo Member
Devin Olsen said:

Links?

Edit:

This doesn't make sense... During which initial leak? You mean when the Defiant Map Pack got leaked? I am sure if there was a Forge World on there it would be all over the internet.
I'm in the same boat, going "whaaaaaaaat?"

I do find it odd that this hasn't infected every corner of the internet yet, assuming it's true. Even the Bungie.net Reach forum isn't running wild with it (okay, it's always running wild, but whatever).

I don't really care if there is one or not. Amazing things have already been made in the current forge world, it would be cool to see what the community could make with new resources.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Ok this is from the flicker account that originally leaked the maps.

Fake, cause the maps weren't leaked from testers, they were stolen via mocked-up devi kit units and MS's private developer network. Or something of that nature.

I just fired up B.net. I now has Star Nameplate.

Awesomesauce.

In other news, finally got some inspiration for a new map design...construction has begun in earnest. :)

@Ghal - Reach appeared to overwrite all my previous versions of Kingdom, so I can't take a screenie of the gap in Kingdom, nor of the weird out of alignment "cover" piece on one of the Large Struts at each Base.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Fake, cause the maps weren't leaked from testers, they were stolen via mocked-up devi kit units and MS's private developer network. Or something of that nature.
And also:

There is a new armor ability available which counters armor lock for balance and the request of the community.
Maps cannot have new content added to them, as with the vehicle discussion from before. The objects the map can support are baked into the maps themselves, which precludes additions such as new AA's.
Sikamikanico said:
I just fired up B.net. I now has Star Nameplate.

Awesomesauce.

In other news, finally got some inspiration for a new map design...construction has begun in earnest. :)

@Ghal - Reach appeared to overwrite all my previous versions of Kingdom, so I can't take a screenie of the gap in Kingdom, nor of the weird out of alignment "cover" piece on one of the Large Struts at each Base.
Can you describe it? I couldn't find it myself, but if you can describe it I can pass that on.

wwm0nkey

Crap I forgot to put in that it was probably fake.

Yeah I only read the part about "New map" not the other crap when I first went over it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27_StarWolf said:
I have a question, simply out of curiosity...

Why do you like to play MLG

I like to play MLG for a few reasons.

1. The gametypes, maps and general settings offer an experience that I really enjoy and have always enjoyed with Halo. While sometimes I do like driving a Warthog around and stuff like that though, sometimes. I ADORE 4v4 gametypes, with BR/DMR starts on small maps in either Slayer or Objective gametypes. (I prefer Objective) As the Halo series as gone on Bungie has continued to make it more chocolate but MLG takes it and makes it more vanilla which what I like.

2. I'm a competitive player. I'm usually not having fun unless I'm winning or when I'm just completely goofing off and not taking the match seriously. Or it's a really tight match.

3. Since I started to become "good" at Halo I've always wanted to play against all the best players and see how I stack up against them. All the best players play MLG and I want to play against them. In Halo 2, I was pretty good but I couldn't compete with pros or even amateur players at all. In Halo 3, I got a lot better. It took a while though, I remember being stuck at like 43 in the MLG playlist lol. Once I hit my groove I was getting there but I've never competed at an event (only spectated) to prove anything so, it's kind of worth nothing.

I guess that's everything lol.

GhaleonEB said:
Can you describe it? I couldn't find it myself, but if you can describe it I can pass that on.

Okay - The gap is on one of the angled 5 x 5 pieces leading to either green or orange against one of the towers with the extra large platform on top.

The other issue I found was a cover piece merged into the large struts over the top of each base (red & blue). Both these cover pieces can be deleted.

And that's it. :) Thanks.

EDIT: Just thinking - what if it was some wierd glitch and the gap isn't in your version? That'd be nice.

CortanaV

Neo Member
Dani said:
That's got to be a bunch of really charming dudes.

Someone said earlier that the alleged new forgeworld was to be released on Bungie day. I highly doubt that Microsoft would do that, considering the fact that it's Bungie day, not Halo day. What releases would Microsoft want to compete with within the next year?

Meh, I'm not sure if it's real or not. I'm still on the fence with the whole thing.

I agree with whoever said that next Bungie day will involve the new IP in some way. Although E3 is in June, I'm betting that something big will happen for the new IP on Bungie day (an ARG, a swarm of new info, etc).

New AA would add some interest and life to the game that it desperately needs.

I really hope the new IP is more gritty and less 'fun cute time' that Bungie's Halo games have had throughout.

Flipyap

GhaleonEB said:
Two questions shamefully neglected during the jr. rush. Understandable, given the multiplayer focus of the sustained community. But these are important:

Firefight, Multiplayer, or Campaign?

and,

Favorite Campaign mission from each game, and overall.
I'm late to this party, but I'd like to play, so hey:

Overall: Campaign; In Reach: Firefight

Halo 1: Silent Cartographer

Halo 2: Delta Halo/Regret

Halo 3: The Storm

ODST: the Mombasa Streets hub is my favorite part of ODST, but Tayari Plaza is my favorite single mission

Reach: ...uh... Exodus, I guess? Puppet Nathan Fillion was right, they are more fun to fight than Elites.

Overall: The Storm, closely followed by ODST's hub. It just needed some more elaborate encounters and a Scarab.

Tashi0106 said:
I like to play MLG for a few reasons.

1. The gametypes, maps and general settings offer an experience that I really enjoy and have always enjoyed with Halo. While sometimes I do like driving a Warthog around and stuff like that though, sometimes. I ADORE 4v4 gametypes, with BR/DMR starts on small maps in either Slayer or Objective gametypes. (I prefer Objective) As the Halo series as gone on Bungie has continued to make it more chocolate but MLG takes it and makes it more vanilla which what I like.

2. I'm a competitive player. I'm usually not having fun unless I'm winning or when I'm just completely goofing off and not taking the match seriously. Or it's a really tight match.

3. Since I started to become "good" at Halo I've always wanted to play against all the best players and see how I stack up against them. All the best players play MLG and I want to play against them. In Halo 2, I was pretty good but I couldn't compete with pros or even amateur players at all. In Halo 3, I got a lot better. It took a while though, I remember being stuck at like 43 in the MLG playlist lol. Once I hit my groove I was getting there but I've never competed at an event (only spectated) to prove anything so, it's kind of worth nothing.

I guess that's everything lol.

You cool. You cool.

I honestly can't stand people that are really closed minded about non MLG.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
That's awesome. As Dani said, hope you'll be able to post some impressions.
Hope so. Our man on the inside.

Looking forward to getting a better look at the new maps (or at least, one of them). I'm also hoping a release date is announced for the map pack tomorrow at the event.

Reach maps, Skyrim gameplay, snow incoming. Tomorrow will be a good day.

blamite

Hypertrooper said:
My hopes for the BungieDay is: I want a ViDoc about the unused stuff(Scarab scene etc) That would be nice to see what Bungie planned first and the reason behind the cut.
Speaking of ViDocs, didn't Bungie show a portion of an unreleased one at the same time Forge World was announced? It was at Comicon I think, and it had a bunch of clips of voice actors reading their lines. When's that going to be released?

GhaleonEB said:
Reach maps, Skyrim gameplay, snow incoming. Tomorrow will be a good day.
Tomorrow will be a good day, indeed.

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 are the reasons I'm trying to go to E3.
Apart from new info from 343i.
Reapers, Nords and Spartans, oh my.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
While I wouldn't say the best ever I do agree it was one of the best. If I had to pick my top 3 vehicles of all of Halo they would be Warthog, Ghost, Brute Chopper in that order.
Halo 1's Banshee and Halo 2's Gauss Warthog for me. Nothing beats 'em.

Top Bottom