• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Thou requireth favorite missions? I shall giveth thou these. Or something like that.

Halo 1: 'Halo' (with 'Truth and Reconciliation being a close second)
Halo 2: 'Delta Halo' (though 'Metropolis', 'Gravemind' & 'High Charity' come close)
Halo 3: 'The Covenant' (with 'The Ark' & 'Halo' hot on its heels)
Halo 3: ODST: 'Coastal Highway' (though I have great love for all the ODST levels)
Halo: Reach: 'Long Night of Solace'

I guess if I have to include Halo Wars, I'd have to say 'Reactor'. The campaign on that game just wasn't that enjoyable, though.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I really did love Halo Wars a lot, even coming from a fan who played a lot of AOE with many friends during those countless hours of lan play at school, haha. I am just hopefuly there would be a sequel down the line, the game did sell quite well for a console rts. I loved the gameplay and wish for more. It's probably one of the few RTS games out there that really added different layers and levels on the campaign maps, with some of the best art that I thought did the Halo name justice.

ZombieFred said:
You know, I really did love Halo Wars a lot, even coming from a fan who played a lot of AOE with many friends during those countless hours of lan play at school, haha. I am just hopefuly there would be a sequel down the line, the game did sell quite well for a console rts. I loved the gameplay and wish for more. It's probably one of the few RTS games out there that really added different layers and levels on the campaign maps, with some of the best art that I thought did the Halo name justice.
Yes. I still love playing Skirmish mode on HW. The campaign, however, is just not very good, especially on higher difficulties. The mission where you have to protect civilian ships on Arcadia, or the final mission where you have to open up all the doors are just... Bad.

GhaleonEB said:
With the right generator/map combo, Crash Site in Score Attack is like, the greatest thing ever.

Two questions shamefully neglected during the jr. rush. Understandable, given the multiplayer focus of the sustained community. But these are important:

Firefight, Multiplayer, or Campaign?

and,

Favorite Campaign mission from each game, and overall.

Me:

Firefight.

Halo 1: Truth and Reconciliation.

Halo 2: Outskirts/Metropolis

Halo 3: The Storm

ODST: Tayari Plaza

Reach: Tip of the Spear

Overall: The Storm

Im tempted to answer despite not being new.

Im a multiplayer guy. Dont get me wrong, I have replayed each of the Halo Campaigns multiple times, and love getting into the story but the most interesting stuff tends to happen in Multiplayer. I have never really been that big on AI survivor type modes but I like Firefight a lot in Reach, I also love it on Left 4 Dead, but I absolutely hate that type of mode on most other games.

Halo 1: The beach landing from The Silent Cartographer blew me away. It was the first thing I played on Halo 1 and I only got to do the Beach landing... but that was epic and I literally couldn't enjoy any other game once I played it. I must admit that apart from how cool it was to be able to traverse the whole island, I wasn't really a fan of the rest of the level... the indoor parts weren't as good. To be honest pretty much the first half of the game and The Maw could be someones favourite level... it was all so good.

Halo 2: Outskirts/Metropolis - Human levels were the best.

Halo 3: The Ark/ The Covenant... both of these missions were epic.

ODST: I enjoyed a few of the set pieces but I think free roaming the streets was cool.

Reach: Long Night of Solace... Low Gravity combat yes please!

As for Tashi's questions:

BR

50 on Team Slayer - I came really close in a few other playlists, I think im a 49 in Snipes. To be honest though after a while I was only interested in playing competitively in customs with friends... I was more than happy to jump on Social otherwise.

Halo 1 map - Death Island/ Blood Gulch/ Hang em High :p

Favourite Halo 2 Map - Midship - I quite liked Colossus lol

Halo 3 map - The Pit/ Guardian/ I also had some good moments on Standoff and Construct

Reach map - Tempest/ Anchor 9/ Spire

Series map - MLG 2 flag on Pit. :p

Let me get a crack at this.

I prefer campaign the most even though I play Firefight and multiplayer a lot more.

Halo: Combat Evolved – Assault on the Control Room
Halo 2 – Delta Halo
Halo 3 – The Ark or the Covenant
Halo 3: ODST – Uplift Reserve
Halo: Reach – Undecided. I'll have to play the campaign through a couple of times to get a definitive answer. It's either Tip of the Spear, Exodus, New Alexandria, or Long Night of Solace.

All time: Assault on the Control Room

Tawpgun

Lets do this.

Multiplayer: Campaign is awesome but lacks mulitplayers replayability, and I get lag in firefight...

Halo CE: Two Betrayals (It was massive, 3 way war, epic, But Silent Cartographer is INCREDIBLY close behind I had to mention that.)

Halo 2: Delta Halo and Regret (I will say though... I loved Quarantine Zone. dat atmosphere)

Halo 3: The Covenant (obvious, large scale reasons)

ODST: Mombasa Streets (but NMPD if you want a mission)

Reach: Long Night of Solace (beach assault, space, attacking a covenant ship, Jorge...)

Overall: Delta Halo/Regret (glitching to the outskirts of that MASSIVE level, the scenery, killing the prophet, the gondola, Peril, so good)

Firefight with Campaign as a close second.

CE: The Truth and Reconciliation
Halo 2: Regret. Space gondolas FTMFW
Halo 3: The Covenant
ODST: Uplift Reserve
Reach: Long Night of Solace

Overall: Tough call. Reach has the better overall campain IMO, but thinking about the individual levels of the older games makes me remember how bad ass they were. LNoS it is.

Tawpgun

One question... I'm assuming since Reach came out decently long ago, its okay to talk about the story/spoilers without spoilering everything?

Pennybags

Not a junior but I may as well be. I've never got that involved.

Multiplayer for longevity.

Halo: CE – The Silent Cartographer (Beach landing, hog launching)

Halo 2 – Metropolis (Vehicular action in a futuristic city)

Halo 3 – The Covenant (Hornets, Scorpion, Scarabs, allied but useless Flood, what's not to like?)

ODST – NMPD Headquarters (Nice atmosphere and final fight)

Reach – Long Night of Solace (Beach landing, SPACE, bouncy combat)

Overall - Probably The Covenant. It would've been perfect without the damned Flood!

Multiplayer:

Halo: CE - Blood Gulch and Hang 'Em High

Halo 2 - Headlong and Ivory Tower

Halo 3 - Valhalla and Guardian. Orbital is my favorite aesthetically.

Reach - Anchor 9 and Tempest. On the Invasion front, Breakpoint.

Don't kill me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Multiplayer. shit never gets old. campaign is also amazing and the first thing i always play through and what is most anticipated before release. firefight would score loads better with me if i had a good enough internet connection for lag free, or close to lag free games, but in its current state, its like running through jello.

Halo 1: silent cartographer. a truly open level with so many ways to approach it. getting on top and warthog jumps. awesome exterior and interior locations and fights. epic intro.

Halo 2: Regret. dunno why, but i love the temples in halo 2, and the underwater elevators. the gondola rides too.

Halo 3: Tsavo highway. loads of great vehicle battles and loads of challenge.

ODST: Uplift reserve. similar to Tsavo highway, with a bit more focus (both a positive and a negative)

Reach: ONI Sword base. varied gameplay balancing great on foot battles and fun vehicle sections.

Overall: silent cartographer. it IS halo.

Multi
Halo: Damnation
Halo 2: Lockout
Halo 3:High ground
Halo Reach: Anchor 9

A27 Tawpgun said:
One question... I'm assuming since Reach came out decently long ago, its okay to talk about the story/spoilers without spoilering everything?
I'd say it's safe to talk about without spoilers.

Ramirez

You know the game sucks when the official thread is full of introduction posts by people who have been here for years. No one is reading this stuff, c'mon.

Hey You

Steelyuhas said:
Not only is the fact that it's in that playlist puzzling in itself, but everytime it comes up everyone votes for it, which I find to just be shocking.
If all the other selections are crap, I just vote for it. Which usually happens every time Hemmorage pops up.

Halo : Truth and Reconciliation
Halo 2 : Gravemind (3 way battles ftw)
Halo 3 : Covenant
ODST: Hub-city
Reach : Long Night of Solace (Combat on Corvette = <3)

Overall : Can't choose.

You know, since we've been through campaign levels and multiplayer maps, let's move on to vehicles.

What is everyone's favorite vehicle of the Halo series?

I'd have to say the Falcon. That thing so so much damn fun to fly around in.

Dax01 said:
You know, since we've been through campaign levels and multiplayer maps, let's move on to vehicles.

In Halo 3 I had the 23d most banshee kills......

I am working on it in Reach its just so hard with the sniper and DMfreakingR

xxjuicesxx said:
I like this game so much I want to work for the company that made it so I can fix completely obvious things wrong with it.

What are those things? I mean Armor Lock was a failed idea, but other than that...

Bloom is not a problem, I mean most weapons in past halo games had "bloom" you just did not see it, at least on automatic weapons.

Vehicles could use a slight tune up, but it is still pretty awesome.

I guess I get too caught up in the fun I have when I play Halo:Reach to remember all the "problems" people say it has :p

SUPER EDIT!!!

Rumored 4th map in the Defiant Map Pack!!!

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=56951609

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
SUPER EDIT!!!

It's a weird note they posted, but I take them at their word about the "as soon as we've made up our minds" bit. Probably debating which MP map to feature.

Benefit of low expectations, etc.
A27_StarWolf said:
I am hoping for another forge world like map.
So am I! But this time a true canvas map. But I'm not going to ratchet my expectations to that point. Could be a new map, could be they just weren't sure which one to show yet, as they said. I'll be quite happy to be surprised either way.

GhaleonEB said:
It's a weird note they posted, but I take them at their word about the "as soon as we've made up our minds" bit. Probably debating which MP map to feature.

Benefit of low expectations, etc.

I am hoping for another forge world like map.

Snow world
-ice fields, snowbound, sidewinder, containment

Dessert World
-Sandtrap, Burial mounds

Forge City
-Turf, headlong, new Alexandria locations.

Potential? I think so.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:

Warthog. Classic.

I will say that the Falcon comes close. It truly is the Warthog of the skies.

A27_StarWolf said:
What are those things? I mean Armor Lock was a failed idea, but other than that...

Armor Lock isn't fail. It just belongs in the right places BTB/Invasion/Firefight. It has no place in any other playlist especially the Arena and Competitive playlists - BTB, ever.

The fixes I refer to mostly are playlist issues. There's a reason there's like half the players online compared to what there was during H3 at most given times...because its hard to find one place to sit down and play 10 games in a row of...many playlists just get boring, have no variety, are good in one area but shitty in another, or have low pop's that the MM just becomes garbage and basically falls apart, hell some players here don't even believe there is trueskill hidden in the background because of some of the insane matchups given to them after hundreds or a thousand games played.

Think bubble shield in objective.

The other day me and two people played a bunch of community slayer and all we got matched against were captains and warrant officers even though we were like high generals, hero's and field marshalls. It was because nobody was playing, it couldn't find decent matches. That's a problem whether you want to ignore/deny it or not.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
GhaleonEB said:

Usually the simplest answer is the correct one.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
The other day me and two people played a bunch of community slayer and all we got matched against were captains and warrant officers even though we were like high generals, hero's and field marshalls. It was because nobody was playing, it couldn't find decent matches. That's a problem whether you want to ignore/deny it or not.
Aye, it's similar to the problem Arena is having with the very low populations. Neither matching nor their division system work with such low player pools.

The bubble shield in objective games is a good illustration of the problems with the playlists. I still hope they can/will be cleaned up. BTB is really a mess right now. I want to love it.

In the meantime, I'm still playing the bejesus out of Firefight. I had one hell of a game with two others last night on Overlook. Good connection, semi-competent team mates, good team work, some great last stands...Firefight at its best is godly.
lybertyboy said:
Usually the simplest answer is the correct one.
Indeed. :p
Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, tell me your favorite vehicle!
The Chopper.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, it's similar to the problem Arena is having with the very low populations. Neither matching nor their division system work with such low player pools.

The bubble shield in objective games is a good illustration of the problems with the playlists. I still hope they can/will be cleaned up. BTB is really a mess right now. I want to love it.

In the meantime, I'm still playing the bejesus out of Firefight.

Indeed. :p
Ghaleon, tell me your favorite vehicle!

Karl2177

As of late, Firefight.

Halo : AotCR
Halo 2 : Metropolis
Halo 3 : The Ark
ODST : NMPD HQ
Reach : The Package

Overall: the Ark

Vehicle : Chopper or Falcon

blamite

brutechopper.jpg

Best. Vehicle. Ever.
Flying this thing around on Sandtrap was just so much fun. That's probably the thing I miss most from Halo 3. Great map, great vehicle, but together they're even better.

aj1467

blamite said:
brutechopper.jpg

Best. Vehicle. Ever.
Flying this thing around on Sandtrap was just so much fun. That's probably the thing I miss most from Halo 3. Great map, great vehicle, but together they're even better.

The amount of times i got owned by one of them was insane :L R.I.P Chopper.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
brutechopper.jpg

Best. Vehicle. Ever.

While I wouldn't say the best ever I do agree it was one of the best. If I had to pick my top 3 vehicles of all of Halo they would be Warthog, Ghost, Brute Chopper in that order.

blamite

PsychoRaven said:
While I wouldn't say the best ever I do agree it was one of the best. If I had to pick my top 3 vehicles of all of Halo they would be Warthog, Ghost, Brute Chopper in that order.
It may not be the best best, but it's the one I found easiest to have fun in. You don't have to worry about finding someone to use the turret like a warthog, and the guns are powerful enough that you can actually get kills with them relatively easily, unlike the ghost. You can just get in and go crazy. Plus, I always got that "flying all over the place, just barely in control" feeling from it, especially with everything you could use as a ramp on Sandtrap/Sandbox.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
It may not be the best best, but it's the one I found easiest to have fun in. You don't have to worry about finding someone to use the turret like a warthog, and the guns are powerful enough that you can actually get kills with them relatively easily, unlike the ghost. You can just get in and go crazy. Plus, I always got that "flying all over the place, just barely in control" feeling from it, especially with everything you could use as a ramp on Sandtrap/Sandbox.

Oh you won't get any debate from me on how awesome it is. In fact it's honestly the one vehicle I really missed in Reach. Even if it was just in multiplayer I would have been happy. Course imagine that final run you did on the mongoose but on a Brute Chopper. That would have been a lot more fun.

Tunavi

Banned
Why didn't Bungie let us use firefight maps for at least custom game multiplayer? Maybe if some worked they could have found their way into matchmaking

A27_StarWolf said:
SUPER EDIT!!!

As much as I'd like it to be a fourth map for the Defiant Map Pack.. I don't see that happening.

Because, well, there's three maps in the Defiant map pack right? Well they could be playing one of the three maps on each day. Maybe Unearthed for March 4th, Condemned for March 5th and Highlands for March 6th?

Sounds ridiculous.. but it's a possibility.

zumphry

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Oh you won't get any debate from me on how awesome it is. In fact it's honestly the one vehicle I really missed in Reach. Even if it was just in multiplayer I would have been happy. Course imagine that final run you did on the mongoose but on a Brute Chopper. That would have been a lot more fun.

That would've been cool, sneaking up on maybe the last Brute encampment on Reach (or really, just a pack of Brutes chilling), assassinating the Chieftains and Brutes, and then riding to the Autumn.

The Chopper was really the reason Lost Platoon was so good in ODST Firefight, and without it, a remake for Reach really wouldn't work. Hopefully Unearthed fills in it's spot.

blamite

Tunavi said:
Why didn't Bungie let us use firefight maps for at least custom game multiplayer? Maybe if some worked they could have found their way into matchmaking
I really wish this as an option, especially after how awesome Generator Defense was in the beta. I found it much more fun there than in Firefight.

ElRenoRaven

ZayneH said:
That would've been cool, sneaking up on maybe the last Brute encampment on Reach (or really, just a pack of Brutes chilling), assassinating the Chieftains and Brutes, and then riding to the Autumn.

The Chopper was really the reason Lost Platoon was so good in ODST Firefight, and without it, a remake for Reach really wouldn't work. Hopefully Unearthed fills in it's spot.

Yup. I don't want any ODST firefight maps if there is no chopper. They just would not be the same at all.

RSB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Two questions shamefully neglected during the jr. rush. Understandable, given the multiplayer focus of the sustained community. But these are important:

Firefight, Multiplayer, or Campaign?

and,

Favorite Campaign mission from each game, and overall.
I'm not (exactly) new, but I'll do this anyway:

Campaign/Firefight (Tie)

Halo CE: AotCR

Halo 2: Delta Halo

Halo 3: The Ark

ODST: Mombasa Streets

Reach: The Package (Rally Point Bravo)

Overall: AotCR

Bye ;)

A27_StarWolf said:
In Halo 3 I had the 23d most banshee kills......

I am working on it in Reach its just so hard with the sniper and DMfreakingR

Bloom is not a problem, I mean most weapons in past halo games had "bloom" you just did not see it, at least on automatic weapons.

Vehicles could use a slight tune up, but it is still pretty awesome.

I guess I get too caught up in the fun I have when I play Halo:Reach to remember all the "problems" people say it has :p

SUPER EDIT!!!

Bloom on automatic weapons is one thing, but if your really think that bloom existed for precision weapons to any noticable degree in older Halo games you are crazy. You are also crazy if you cant notice the other obvious problems with the game!

Another Banshee fan though... nice.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
lybertyboy said:
Just replace "the map" with Defiant TBD.

We just haven't decided which map to feature yet.

But that one single Youtube commenter said Covie Forgeworld and the internet believed him. You mean it's a lie??????!?! =P

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:

Heh. I thought your last post was clear, but hope and delusion spring eternal in these here parts. Thanks.

Dani said:
But that one single Youtube commenter said Covie Forgeworld and the internet believed him. You mean it's a lie??????!?! =P
Wait, this was confirmed on youtube? Nevermind, Bungie Day this year is gonna freaking rock when they give away a map they didn't make.

lybertyboy said:

Who cares about that? You teased a lot over twitter last week. I'm more curious about that stuff.(and about Unearthed <3)

Top Bottom