• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez

Anyone willing to take bets that the next Halo game won't have bloom, AA's, or the garbage melee system in Reach?

My BPR is only 99, 1 point away from beginning my MLG Bieber hairstyle dream!

Sibylus

Banned
Booted up Reach for the first time in some weeks, among other things I gave Firefight Limited a try. And holy smokes is this ever fun.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=494668697&player=GeneralBotolf

This was my first game. Died once at the hands of a Hunter, and kept my distance at all other moments. I was the last man standing on three waves, and continually had to funnel enemies up the stairs of the central building, to where I was waiting with my DMR and scavenged plasma rifles. Close call after close call followed, and we were eventually able to rally back and win. That's unbelievably gratifying after having carried the team on one's back and having come so close to losing everything time and again.

With experiences like this, I pretty much have no reason to touch Firefight Arcade ever again. Limited is just no holds barred and pushes you to the brink constantly, and I love every moment of it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Anyone willing to take bets that the next Halo game won't have bloom, AA's, or the garbage melee system in Reach?

My BPR is only 99, 1 point away from beginning my MLG Bieber hairstyle dream!
oNMIA.jpg

Second tie ever!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=495317010&player=AnArmorLockHero

I love it. Although my team didn't seem to understand when I was saying rockets were coming up because I got outnumbered and robbed every single time.

So I then hit up some Firefight Arcade and we have an eclipse...Mr Reborados idling yet he gets to be an eclipse because apparently nothing is being done about idling firefight players...so fucking infuriating...

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=495327430&player=AnArmorLockHero

117 kills.

GhaleonEB

Botolf said:
Booted up Reach for the first time in some weeks, among other things I gave Firefight Limited a try. And holy smokes is this ever fun.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=494668697&player=GeneralBotolf

This was my first game. Died once at the hands of a Hunter, and kept my distance at all other moments. I was the last man standing on three waves, and continually had to funnel enemies up the stairs of the central building, to where I was waiting with my DMR and scavenged plasma rifles. Close call after close call followed, and we were eventually able to rally back and win. That's unbelievably gratifying after having carried the team on one's back and having come so close to losing everything time and again.

With experiences like this, I pretty much have no reason to touch Firefight Arcade ever again. Limited is just no holds barred and pushes you to the brink constantly, and I love every moment of it.
Yup, you just described why I love it as well. Lousy team mates can be a mixed blessing as they give you the shot to hold the team time and again. For all the times they can frustrate, games like the one you had are why I can't stop playing it.

My advice would be to can BPD, list K/D for slayer playlists only (any time any sort of objective beyond pure slaying is involved, you are compromising people's 'battle proficiency' with other aims, other concerns), and list K/D for online Firefight underneath it, though that would be a little compromised if people whored 2x or Crashsite rather than, say, Limited.

Strange. When I checked my stats when Ghaleon posted this on HBO, I recall my Campaign and Firefight points to be a lot higher than what I'm seeing now. Probably imagined things, as B.net says at least my campaign points are correct.

OGMTRl.jpg

Edit: lol, best K/D ratio ever.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
FireFight day, nice.

Not a whole lot of credits though.
I haven't updated my spreadsheet with February's Challenges yet, but looking back, the average daily Challenge was worth over 1700 in December and January, so the average daily payout was around 6,800 cR. This month they definitely took a big hit, they seem to be around 4,500 or less most days.

GhaleonEB said:
I haven't updated my spreadsheet with February's Challenges yet, but looking back, the average daily Challenge was worth over 1700 in December and January, so the average daily payout was around 6,800 cR. This month they definitely took a big hit, they seem to be around 4,500 or less most days.
Boo.

Tawpgun

They definitely need to inflate the challenges a lot more. A game complete without the challenges usually gets around over 1k. So why should I go out of my way to get a challenge if I can just play a regular game and get the same amount of points?

This only applies to the challenges that are really out of the way, but still. I'm just glad the weeklies have gotten buffed.

While on the subject on credits, whatever happened to the victory bonus? Because right now there is ZERO incentive for winning other than actually winning. Which is good and all, but shouldn't the winners receive MORE?

feel

Blue Ninja said:
Strange. When I checked my stats when Ghaleon posted this on HBO, I recall my Campaign and Firefight points to be a lot higher than what I'm seeing now. Probably imagined things, as B.net says at least my campaign points are correct.

OGMTRl.jpg

Edit: lol, best K/D ratio ever.
lol I have the exact same k/d

hi5

Willeth

I really hate that the settings for custom Infection gametypes are broken. Icarus (remember that?) would work really well when you set it to five points to win - a zombie needs three kills to win, but a pilot only needs to survive. Problem is, when someone gets five points, it doesn't end. It ends the round and just starts a new one again.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
its like 200 or so Cr I think.

I think you should get a HUGE bonus if the entire team quits too.
If this is true, it might as well be nothing.

I'm talking about close to 1k for winning. Maybe even more.

Kuroyume

Banned
Next Halo game may not have bloom or armor abilities the way they are now or at all but I GUARANTEE that it will have a shitty melee system. I also bet that it will have many of its own things that you'll bitch about in here every day.

wwm0nkey

Kuroyume said:
Next Halo game may not have bloom or armor abilities the way they are now or at all but I GUARANTEE that it will have a shitty melee system. I also bet that it will have many of its own things that you'll bitch about in here every day.
Personally if they go back to Halo 2 or 3 melee I will be happy

Yet Another Junior Member Introduction Post:

Hey guys, just got approved but I've been lurking off and on since the Reach announcment trailer.
Can't say how many times I've wanted to post in the discussion (or helpfully answer someone's question).

I also lurk HBO and (rarely) post there as Duncan.

Gamertag: xx DD xx
I'd post a link to my b.net profile, but I'm currently at work and it's blocked.

Highest H3 rank: 43 in Rumble Pit
Favorite maps/weapons:
CE - Blood Gulch / Pistol
2 - Warlock / BR
3 - The Pit / BR
Reach: - Countdown / DMR

Halo 2 is probably my favorite, but that may be due to how much I played multiplayer with friends in high school and college. I was the undisputed champ in my freshman dorm.

Kuroyume said:

Nothings perfect, but that doesn't mean it needs to totally suck either. :p

As for Credit payouts - I wonder if someone at Bungie is keeping an eye on a chart of player progress. I wonder if you could chart it and use that to adjust the payout for dailys and weeklys. Now that the majority of the population is probably getting a decent credit payout, 1K from a challenge isnt really that helpful, if should scale up with the average player ranks.

Double exp or a reward for winning wouldnt go amiss. :p

ncsuDuncan said:
I also lurk HBO and (rarely) post there as Duncan.

Gamertag: xx DD xx
I'd post a link to my b.net profile, but I'm currently at work and it's blocked.

Whoa! I recognize your GT... I think I had you on my list for quite a while.

I'm assuming we've done customs together or something?

Also here ya go.

B.Net Profile Link

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:
Nothings perfect, but that doesn't mean it needs to totally suck either. :p

As for Credit payouts - I wonder if someone at Bungie is keeping an eye on a chart of player progress. I wonder if you could chart it and use that to adjust the payout for dailys and weeklys. Now that the majority of the population is probably getting a decent credit payout, 1K from a challenge isnt really that helpful, if should scale up with the average player ranks.

Double exp or a reward for winning wouldnt go amiss. :p

They definitely need to add some sort of a victory bonus. A substantial one that would make people play to win.

But using average player ranks is misleading. If they can, they need to somehow make it the average population of ACTIVE users. Not the people who bought Reach, got to warrant officer, and then went somewhere else.

Devin Olsen said:
Whoa! I recognize your GT... I think I had you on my list for quite a while.

I'm assuming we've done customs together or something?
Yeah, I've done customs with HBO people every now and then. Did you get the Halo 3 Mythic map pack before it released? (Sandbox, Orbital, Assembly) I think that may have been when I added you, I got it early and there weren't a ton of people to test it with.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, I've done customs with HBO people every now and then. Did you get the Halo 3 Mythic map pack before it released? (Sandbox, Orbital, Assembly) I think that may have been when I added you, I got it early and there weren't a ton of people to test it with.
Yeah I am pretty sure that's where I got your GT.

Did you play HP's Facing Worlds with us?

Devin Olsen said:
Did you play HP's Facing Worlds with us?

Yep. Good times. IIRC there were a couple Flaming Helmets in those games.

It was really fun hunting for the skulls before the locations were common knowledge. Especially tunneling to the skull on Sandbox, before there were Forge maps with pre-built teleporters (or tower blockers).

Tawpgun

Oh man. I loved getting that skull.

My goal was to use to get it in as little forging as possible. So I built a momentum teleporter launcher and launched myself over there where I touched it and promptly got ahnialiated.

blamite

OuterWorldVoice said:
Massively improved Waypoint mobile app for Win phone 7 is up. Stats, messaging, challenges and more.
And it is quite nice. There aren't really any good Reach stat apps on WP7 yet, so it's great to see that Waypoint has some pretty impressive info. Props to you guys!

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
Massively improved Waypoint mobile app for Win phone 7 is up. Stats, messaging, challenges and more.
So Frankie, any Halo announcements we could expect today at the press event?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just looked on my Windows Omina phone with the new waypoint and it looks great. Good job 343. Keep the updates coming :)

Waypoint mobile apps are great, but what I really want is more ways to check my XBL friends list. (and I realize general XBL apps aren't 343i territory at all)

I can understand why MS wants to keep XBL integration on WP7, so I'm not holding my breath for a Friends List app on Android.

I just want better PC integration, e.g. a desktop notification when my friends sign onto XBL. Right now the closest thing is just refreshing the xbox.com page. I had hoped the Games for Windows Live download would have had friends list integration but it doesn't seem so.

Top Bottom