• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Domino Theory said:
If what I learned from both of these gentlemen is indicative of 343 Industries' business practices and behavior, then Halo's best years have yet to come, and that includes Halo: Reach's.

WATERWORKS REMAKE CONFIRMED

but seriously,
thanks for the impressions Domino

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Devin Olsen said:
Not trying to dampen the Hype, but I am really confused. You come out of the gate claiming that this is the best small map in Reach to date (Countdown and Anchor 9 be damned!)... And then you later go on to say that it felt empty at times and may be suited for BTB.

I am just sort of confused, that's all.

The first time I played it, it was 4v4 Team Slayer since there were only 8 TVs, 4 for each group (for both FireFight and MP). Half of me wanted to play, but the other half wanted me to explore so sometimes I kept going away from the combat on purpose. At that point, when I'd catch myself and try to go back into combat, I'd get lost, in a sense, and couldn't find players because the flow of the game was moving faster than I was.

It works perfectly for 4v4, can work perfectly for 6v6 and Ellis thinks it could work 8v8 (hopefully it gets put into BTB for a little while to see and then judge from there).

Steelyuhas said:
Will pay space bucks for those bad boys. 343i, your bacon whisky addiction will be supported.

Also, about the armor. In this interview, go to 4:10 and watch.
But he didn't DENY the new armor. Hmm.

Nevermind.. Saw the BWU "no new armor in Defiant Map Pack"

GhaleonEB

Some questions that I would love to see someone address, in a BWU or such.

Are there any plans to update Firefight maps to address the exploitable areas that idlers are using? Added soft kill zones, perhaps? Is that even possible for Firefight maps?

Do you guys have any plans to address idlers in any way? It's tough nut to crack given the lengths players go to to thwart the ban hammer's many flavors, but are there any plans to try? It's a problem in FF Limited.

I understand Firefight Classic in a matchmaking environment is precluded given both idlers and safe places to go AFK. There's been a deluge of discussion in the official thread on the Optimatch forum about this topic, but no comment from anyone at Bungie. Even just a, 'no there are not plans for Classic in matchmaking' would be nice.

Any plans to spice up the enemy mix or skull progression, or shake up the game by removing ammo crates? Or a longer Score Attack game (one Set)? These are the other most common requests I see in Optimatch.

GhaleonEB said:
Some questions that I would love to see someone address, in a BWU or such.

Are there any plans to update Firefight maps to address the exploitable areas that idlers are using? Added soft kill zones, perhaps? Is that even possible for Firefight maps?

Do you guys have any plans to address idlers in any way? It's tough nut to crack given the lengths players go to to thwart the ban hammer's many flavors, but are there any plans to try? It's a problem in FF Limited.

I understand Firefight Classic in a matchmaking environment is precluded given both idlers and safe places to go AFK. There's been a deluge of discussion in the official thread on the Optimatch forum about this topic, but no comment from anyone at Bungie. Even just a, 'no there are not plans for Classic in matchmaking' would be nice.

Any plans to spice up the enemy mix or skull progression, or shake up the game by removing ammo crates? Or a longer Score Attack game (one Set)? These are the other most common requests I see in Optimatch.

yeah firefight is great, however ODST seemed more... serious?

I will be getting on around 8pm-8:20pm EST, I will be doing matchmaking, and customs. Feel free to join me.

Send "A27 STARWOLF" a message if you want to join in.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27_StarWolf said:

I will be getting on around 8pm-8:20pm EST, I will be doing matchmaking, and customs. Feel free to join me.

Dani gonna get up in dat ass! Lazlo is still walking bowlegged!

darthbob

A27_StarWolf said:
yeah firefight is great, however ODST seemed more... serious

Agreed. Infinite waves, and basically no customization made it feel to me, more dire.

Plus, I loved playing as Johnson. (even though you still basically can in Reach)

Dax01 said:
I want a chickenpede for a pet.

a1n5tv.jpg

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
yeah firefight is great, however ODST seemed more... serious?[/B]
I see that sentiment a lot, and I sort of agree. What I think it boils down to is that ODST was harder. It was harder because you started out with less effective weapons (DMR >>>> ODST pistol and SMG) and did not get unlimited ammo for them, so you had to scrounge after a few waves. As is, you can sit back and DMR the entire game (which is fun, and what I do, but the desperate scramble for suitable weapons adds a lot to the game). It was also harder because the skull progression was steeper due to the longer game (unlimited Sets rather than the one in Limited). When stuff like Tilt, Mythic, Black Eye and Thunderstorm toggled on, shit got real. Those skulls are not utilized in the current matchmaking game types.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see a longer game (three Sets?) with the same life pool system (10 total), the full skull progression, larger starting clips, the ammo boxes removed and Elite Heretics added for additional UNSC weapons/refills. That would much more closely approximate the challenge that ODST presented.

Edit: there were also some structural changes to the squad system and how they attack sequentially rather than en masse that has reduced the challenge a great deal.

Decent enough BWU I guess with lots of pretty pics of Reach being the highlight. Still no explanation on the rogue helmet seen in the Defiant pic, although we're told we won't get to wear it. Craving hot wings now.

darthbob said:
Agreed. Infinite waves, and basically no customization made it feel to me, more dire.

Plus, I loved playing as Johnson. (even though you still basically can in Reach)
The skull progression was great too.

I hope for a future achievement, possibly tied to Unearthed would be like Endure: Redux. Maybe ship the map with a gametype that must be used without editing to get it. Have the skull progression similar to ODST but maybe ditch Blackeye. Grunt bonus rounds only. I've yet to have any Reach Firefight games match the fun and tension in Endure runs on Alpha Site.

GhaleonEB said:
I see that sentiment a lot, and I sort of agree. What I think it boils down to is that ODST was harder. It was harder because you started out with less effective weapons (DMR >>>> ODST pistol and SMG) and did not get unlimited ammo for them, so you had to scrounge after a few waves. As is, you can sit back and DMR the entire game (which is fun, and what I do, but the desperate scramble for suitable weapons adds a lot to the game). It was also harder because the skull progression was steeper due to the longer game (unlimited Sets rather than the one in Limited). When stuff like Tilt, Mythic, Black Eye and Thunderstorm toggled on, shit got real. Those skulls are not utilized in the current matchmaking game types.
Great points, didn't even think of those.

Louis Wu said:
I envy your ability to boil down complicated situations to simple black-and-white questions.

You've convinced me - I will no longer consider a system that serves millions of people, and is affected by many, many variables from an enormous variety of sources to be something that can't be blamed on one person. And when people suggest to me that maybe there are other factors involved, I'll tell them no, they're wrong, I can either blame that one person or I can NOT blame that one person. And of course I will blame that one person. I will no longer entertain the possibility that there's more involved than I know about, because shit, man, I've played a lot of Halo.

You're right. The playlists were a very, very simple situation, and all Shishka had to do was remove a box here and there, and the moron couldn't do it. What a dope.
While I truly, truly hate to disagree with you, Wu, I understand what kylej is saying (however harsh he may be).

There are ~120 employees at Bungie. There are maybe 60 more that had to approve the game at MS. All other forms of employment aside associated with the game (i.e. shipping, manufacturing, advertising, etc), each facet of the shipping game had managers responsible for the content in his or her own section they were given, and because of the limited amount of employees, it seems there was only 1 manager for individual elements.

Sage, for Reach, was given charge and management over the sandbox. Obviously whatever he did had to be approved, but ultimately 80-90% of the decisions made in this department are a direct reflection of his leadership and input. Thus, we can directly blame (or praise) the addition of visual bloom to the weapons to Sage.

In the same way, Shishka was in charge of the playlists. All decisions made went through him in one way or another.

Say I'm a stock buyer, and my account manager tells me to buy one stock because it will go up. Then the stock bombs. Even though my account manager got his intel from his analysts and staff under him, he had to look over and take responsibility for whatever happens because he is the boss, the manager, of my account, and is ultimately responsible for signing off on any decisions made with my account. So I will fire my account manager, or at least request a different one.

Same goes with ANY management position. If the product/line is failing, a LOT of responsibility falls on the manager, and senior leadership has an evaluation of what went wrong.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
While I truly, truly hate to disagree with you, Wu, I understand what kylej is saying (however harsh he may be).
Shishka was the public face of the playlists, and as such took (and continues to take) the blame for any perceived failings of the playlist management. That comes with any outward-facing role such as his.

But it's not at all accurate to point to him and say any issues you had with the playlists began and ends with him, which was Wu's point.

kylej

Banned
Major Williams said:
Same goes with ANY management position. If the product/line is failing, a LOT of responsibility falls on the manager, and senior leadership has an evaluation of what went wrong.

Thank you.

I like what I'm hearing about 343.

wwm0nkey

Did anyone post that interview with Frankie which pretty much denied Halo CE remake rumors?

"It's a rumour. Microsoft doesn't comment on rumour or speculation. If you really want to play Halo: Combat Evolved on your 360 in 720p go to Games On Demand. It's there now."

Oh also in the same article Frankie talks about Kinect and Halo.

Here is the solution for the actual games Frankie...Head Tracking :)

Crucio

wwm0nkey said:
Did anyone post that interview with Frankie which pretty much denied Halo CE remake rumors?

Yeah that article pretty much killed the rumor for me. It ain't happening folks!

Lazslo

Whoa HaloGaf's back- I like all the new discussion. It's pretty cool that 343i has such a strong team assembled and that they moved into Bungie's old digs, hopefully it isn't haunted with Ling-Lings Ghost heads. I find it pretty weird that this is the first time we've heard about it though, it's not like it should of been a big secret so it's a little strange none of the gaming 'press' ran a story about it; I guess it not that big of a deal though.
Also Good for Shishka, Glad he didn't leave the franchise- he seems like a pretty good dude, I never understood the personal attacks and hate- although whoever put Swat in the TS hopper for the first couple months of Reach really dropped the ball- That alone turned me off from Reach for a couple weeks until it got it's own playlist.
lybertyboy said:
He was also really good sport and downed the two double shots of bacon-infused bourbon (like a boss) I ordered for him after the show.
How was this not posted when Bacon-Infused Bourbon was discussed- It was the first thing that jumped into my head:
ron-swanson.jpg

"They call it a "Swanson"

I'm looking forward to Customs tomorrow- I have a feeling there will be a good amount Jr's joining us for the first time. The past two weeks haven't been great for customs so hopefully we get a good turn out this week- Saturday Night around 8pm (EST) 5pm (PST)

wwm0nkey

Crucio said:
Yeah that article pretty much killed the rumor for me. It ain't happening folks!
This actually gives me hope that Halo 2 XBLA has a better chance of actually happening now. Halo 2 MP pretty much can't be played on the Xbox anymore so it kind of actually NEEDS the remake here.

Halo 2 for life! :lol

wwm0nkey said:
This actually gives me hope that Halo 2 XBLA has a better chance of actually happening now. Halo 2 MP pretty much can't be played on the Xbox anymore so it kind of actually NEEDS the remake here.

Halo 2 for life! :lol

Same for Halo 1 though. :p

To be honest either way I will be happy. They could make me doubly happy by releasing a double pack but that would never happen! (Not like a remake it that likely to happen anyway... but you know. :p)

I might be joining you on some Halo 2 Vista soon by the way. :p

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
Same for Halo 1 though. :p

To be honest either way I will be happy. They could make me doubly happy by releasing a double pack but that would never happen! (Not like a remake it that likely to happen anyway... but you know. :p)

I might be joining you on some Halo 2 Vista soon by the way. :p
Yay more people to play Halo 2 Vista with :D

Still if Halo 2 XBLA ever comes out, Halo 2 Vista is going off my PC lol

O D I N

A27_StarWolf said:

Getting on now, sending FR.

Your list is full. :C Sending message.

wwm0nkey said:

I remember reading it and not finding any definitive out right denial in it. Saying that MS doesn't address rumors is not a denial in my mind. What he said is true. Halo is available on the 360 now. Sounds like politicking and fancy footwork, not outright denial. Am I setting myself up for disappointment GAF?

Gui_PT

Account Attempt #4 said:
I remember reading it and not finding any definitive out right denial in it. Saying that MS doesn't address rumors is not a denial in my mind. What he said is true. Halo is available on the 360 now. Sounds like politicking and fancy footwork, not outright denial. Am I setting myself up for disappointment GAF?

I agree it's weird they just won't say "No"

Before Reach came out, everyone kept asking if we'd see the Master Chief. They always dodged the subject, trying to say no. While it was just on a cutscene, he did show up in the game.

So who knows...

What? A guy can dream!

Havok

Striker said:
This!

Also, for the millionth time, I'd love to see the best remakes of past Halo maps (Lockout, Warlock, Beaver Creek, Terminal, Headlong, maybe some Rat Race, etc) put into matchmaking asap, and not just in the nebulous Classic playlist that might come at some point in the future maybe. There are these great tools (and soooo many good remakes out there, I've downloaded a bunch and they were really impressive) that are being squandered with a whopping 2 or 3 maps being integrated after what, seven months? It's honestly a shame.
Gui_PT said:
I agree it's weird they just won't say "No"

Before Reach came out, everyone kept asking if we'd see the Master Chief. They always dodged the subject, trying to say no. While it was just on a cutscene, he did show up in the game.

So who knows...

What? A guy can dream!
They don't say no because it creates a precedent that suggests anytime they don't outright deny something, it must be true. Unless the rumor is seriously damaging to their public image, they gain nothing by denying it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Never change Bnet, never change.

Kiddo Mc Ture said:
Anyone who liked this update loves bungie's blarg in their face. They put a knife in 343's back and the communities back. Ignorant fans of this game can go to hell. If you were literate you would see that bungie doesn't give a -blam!- about this game.

Gui_PT

Havok said:
They don't say no because it creates a precedent that suggests anytime they don't outright deny something, it must be true. Unless the rumor is seriously damaging to their public image, they gain nothing by denying it.

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to keep the hopes up :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
"They put a knife in 343's back and the communities back."

What on earth is this even in reference to? Dude got lit up about something. :lol

Was wondering the same thing, perhaps he thinks Bungie blocked 343 from releasing armor?

O D I N

A27 STARWOLF and I are online playing some games. Would love to do some customs if anyone is on and willing to play. :)

GT is Big Boss 0DIN, A27 STARWOLF (his list is full, send a message)

Major Williams said:
There are ~120 employees at Bungie.

Isn't there much more than that now? I thought Bungie said there was like ~240 people working on Reach?

Lazslo said:
ron-swanson.jpg

"They call it a "Swanson"

I'm looking forward to Customs tomorrow- I have a feeling there will be a good amount Jr's joining us for the first time. The past two weeks haven't been great for customs so hopefully we get a good turn out this week- Saturday Night around 8pm (EST) 5pm (PST)

"I was born ready, I'm Ron fucking Swanson"

Amazing character!

Looking forward to playing GAF customs.

Ramirez

O D I N said:
I thought that was Kentucky? :-/ Still see your point. Sorry man.

I think we need a 'Central Coast' event.

Maybe a Bungie Triumphant return to Chicago? One night only?

I will never understand this train of thought that Kentucky is some how more hick than places like Tennessee, Alabama, etc.

Top Bottom